PDA

View Full Version : Volquez tidbit from BP

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Prospectus: It's difficult to overstate just how well Volquez has pitched thus far. He has yet to allow more than two runs or pitch less than five innings in a start, closing in on the modern record for such a streak of 14 straight, held by Mike Scott and Greg Maddux. He also has a remarkable 1.46 ERA, especially impressive given the bandbox the Reds call home; Volquez's park-adjusted ERA+ is 305, meaning his ERA has been 205 percent better than league average. That is the best mark in history for all starting pitchers who have thrown at least 60 innings in a season. Of starters who qualified for the ERA title, the highest ERA+ was posted by Pedro Martinez (191 percent better than league average), whose 1.74 ERA was produced at the height of the "steroids era" offensive explosion, in the DH league, and in a premier hitter's ballpark. Like Martinez, Volquez is a relatively slight Dominican right-hander, measuring 6'1" and 190 pounds, compared with 5'11" and 170 for Martinez.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7616

Cyclone792
06-04-2008, 01:09 PM
What's been lost in his incredible run is he's also gone at least six innings in each of his last eight starts.

BCubb2003
06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I wonder which will happen first: Volquez above 2.00 or Bruce below .400?

M2
06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Do you guys mean to say his season's been better than "whatever" so far?

Cyclone792
06-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Do you guys mean to say his season's been better than "whatever" so far?

He's bullpen bound in the future. Put him in long relief, or whatever.

;)

membengal
06-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the posting, OBM. Fascinating to put his start to the year into some context. And what remarkable context it is.

bucksfan2
06-04-2008, 02:33 PM
I would love to see Volquez face Hamilton in the AS game. That said Volquez probably won't get picked because he isn't named Webb, Peavy, Johnson, etc.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Edinson is currently at 11 consecutive starts of five innings pitched and two runs or less allowed. Like the article said, the record is 14 by Mike Scott and Greg Maddux. That would be something special if Volquez could tie or even break the record, but it's going to be tough. His next three scheduled starts are at Philadelphia, at Florida, and vs Boston. That's three tough teams but he's already handled the Phillies once this year and the Cubs twice, who own the best offense in the league.

Johnny Footstool
06-04-2008, 05:24 PM
What kind of world do we live in in which a 6' 1", 190 pound man is considered "slight"?

REDREAD
06-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I would love to see Volquez face Hamilton in the AS game. That said Volquez probably won't get picked because he isn't named Webb, Peavy, Johnson, etc.

Volquez will make it. It's too good of a story. Don't you think the TV guys will want to hype a possible Volquez-Hamilton matchup and have something to talk about.

The Rockies manager picks the pitching staff, right? (Since they won the NL last year).. He's not stupid..

Reds1
06-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I knew he was doing well, but that's just crazy! He may have the best change up in the game right now.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Volquez extended his streak tonight to 12 starts:

6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K against the Phillies.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Volquez extended his streak tonight to 12 starts:

6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K against the Phillies.

Volquez went back out there for one more inning. His final line was this:

7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K...he lowered his major league leading ERA to 1.32 and is now up to 91 strikeouts in 75 innings, which leads the majors. This was against one of the best lineups in all of baseball.

buckeyenut
06-04-2008, 09:16 PM
OK, and you amaze over those numbers and he goes out and spins 7 innings 8ks 2 hits 0 runs. Unbelievable.

oregonred
06-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Amazing. Volquez goes into Philly, shuts down the hottest team in the NL in a bandbox and lowers his ERA from 1.46 to 1.32.

Best part was that most of this work was done in a 0-0 game and one that the Reds desperately need to win to avoid staring at a four game sweep.

Spitball
06-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Wow! He has been amazing! If he were to put up these numbers in New York, Boston, or even St. Louis, the guy would be on the cover of SI and the talk of baseball.

I'd love for a city/player type love to develop between Cincinnati and Volquez similar to the city/player type love that developed between Boston and Pedro...and the media and fans could simply say, "Edinson" and the world would understand "Edinson" was the all-world pitcher from Cincy.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Volquez has pitched against the Cubs and Phillies twice a piece this year. The reason I bring them up is because those are the two best offenses in the league. Here is how Volquez has faired against the two best offenses:

April 6th vs Philly - 5.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 8 K...won 8-2.

April 17th at Cubs - 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 7 K...won 9-2.

May 7th vs Cubs - 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 6 BB, 10 K...won 9-0.

June 4th at Philly - 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K...won 2-0.

As you can see, Volquez pitched well in his first outing against those two teams but he was even better the second time. That is pretty darn impressive if you ask me. If you include spring training then this was the fourth time the Phillies have seen Volquez and they still can't touch him. This streak he is on is the best I've ever seen by a pitcher in my 21 years of life. What a trade.

Caveat Emperor
06-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Makes me wonder -- given that so few pitchers have ever gone on a tear like this -- if we're wasting the best run of games EV will ever give this team.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 12:25 AM
"I can't say enough about him. He just goes out every single day and puts out a solid performance," Votto said. "Today was probably the very best example of what he's meant to us the whole year. He threw great. He really took care of us and took care of the offense today, and he took care of the entire team."

"There's a reason why he's basically the best pitcher in the league," Phillies catcher Chris Coste said. "When you get an opportunity to score a run, you better get it. We were one big hit away a few different times, but when you face a guy like that, you have to take advantage of every situation. Tonight wasn't one of those nights."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080604&content_id=2839119&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

"He had effective changeup and throws in the high 90s and also has a good slider," Victorino said. "When you have three pitches like that, you tip your hat to the guy."

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 01:42 AM
I've been watching Reds games intently since 1961. No Reds pitcher I've seen has ever had a streak like this. Maloney, Simpson in the first half of '70, Seaver, Soto, Rijo, Danny Jackson...You have to go league wide to come up with comps because frankly, no Reds pitcher has done anything like this since Ewell Blackwell, imo. If EV continues close to this level all summer it will go down as one of the great single season performances, especially of the division play era.

redsrule2500
06-05-2008, 04:53 AM
I wonder which will happen first: Volquez above 2.00 or Bruce below .400?

Mr. "Ruins the Party" has to go!!!

PULL OUT THE BEERS :beerme:

redsmetz
06-05-2008, 05:38 AM
"I can't say enough about him. He just goes out every single day and puts out a solid performance," Votto said. "Today was probably the very best example of what he's meant to us the whole year. He threw great. He really took care of us and took care of the offense today, and he took care of the entire team."

"There's a reason why he's basically the best pitcher in the league," Phillies catcher Chris Coste said. "When you get an opportunity to score a run, you better get it. We were one big hit away a few different times, but when you face a guy like that, you have to take advantage of every situation. Tonight wasn't one of those nights."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080604&content_id=2839119&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

"He had effective changeup and throws in the high 90s and also has a good slider," Victorino said. "When you have three pitches like that, you tip your hat to the guy."

Anyone else notice something unusual about this article? The writer (Sheldon, in this case) went over to the other clubhouse and got some quotes. That almost never happens anymore. It's fun to read - I wish more did it.

My son texted me last night and said "we're being no hit through six?". I wrote back and said "Volquez is pitching a shutout". Nuff said - great job by Joey Votto to put the win in Volquez's pocket. Wow, isn't he something else?

redsmetz
06-05-2008, 05:46 AM
From the Philadelphia Inquirer's story this quote from Dusty.

But as well as Myers pitched, Edinson Volquez pitched better. He allowed two hits, no runs and two walks in seven innings. He struck out eight.

"To shut this club out in this ballpark - that's almost impossible," Baker said. "Volquez was awesome. Myers was awesome. That was a good game to watch."

Ravenlord
06-05-2008, 05:54 AM
i love Edi...so would make that trade again, and again, and again...even if i had a 25-year old Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz, i trade an OFer for a guy who's doing this.

TeamBoone
06-05-2008, 09:32 AM
It's also important to note that he's been very good at getting himself out of some serious jams.

Cueto still has a way to go mentally in trying to do the same thing. Right now he gets rattled and has a hard time overcoming adversity. He really needs to work on that.

vaticanplum
06-05-2008, 09:50 AM
What kind of world do we live in in which a 6' 1", 190 pound man is considered "slight"?

Pitcherworld :)

I am beside myself over this kid. What a bright, bright spot for this club. The thing is, I think he's the real deal. I think that Cueto and Bailey are, at this point, still "just" tremendous talents. A step up from Prospectworld, and There is No Such Thing as a Pitching Prospect. I think Volquez is plunked and set. As long as he takes care of himself and the team takes care of him, I think that the inevitable slumps we see from him will be just that -- slumps. He's going to be very good for a very long time. His technique is just solid, solid, more so than our talented kids.

I think he's a lock for the All-Star team, by the way. He's gotten enough press to be noticed by the public anyway, but he's certainly not going to be ignored by the managers.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I am beside myself over this kid. What a bright, bright spot for this club.

Jay Bruce = Joy to watch at the plate.
Edinson Volquez = Joy to watch on the mound.
Brandon Phillips = Joy to watch in the field.

Three faces that should become synonymous with Reds baseball for the next decade.

I noticed, driving to work on I-471 yesterday, that the electronic billboard was actually advertising the away game with the words "VOLQUEZ TONIGHT." Brought a grin to my face -- I hope the city embraces this kid the way they did Rijo and Soto before him.

bucksfan2
06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Jay Bruce = Joy to watch at the plate.
Edinson Volquez = Joy to watch on the mound.
Brandon Phillips = Joy to watch in the field.

Three faces that should become synonymous with Reds baseball for the next decade.

I noticed, driving to work on I-471 yesterday, that the electronic billboard was actually advertising the away game with the words "VOLQUEZ TONIGHT." Brought a grin to my face -- I hope the city embraces this kid the way they did Rijo and Soto before him.

I don't really remember Soto but the main reason Rijo was embraced by the city was because he was GREAT with the fans. On days he didn't pitch he threw balls into the stands. He signed autographs, he was great with kids, he had a great demanor with the fans. I hope that both Cueto and Volquez act the way Rijo did on and off the field.

remdog
06-05-2008, 11:40 AM
IMO, Cueto is where Volquez was about a year or year-and-a-half ago. Johnny just needs to find the 'mental groove'. And, by all indications, he has the competitivness to do that.

Over the winter I would have traded Homer but not Cueto.

I liked the trade for Volquez but I had no dreams that either he or Hambone would have the kind of seasons that they are having. Good on both of them! It's great entertainment to watch.

Harang, Volquez and Cueto will give the Reds 3 starters next year that will give them the chance to win the NL Central.

Rem