PDA

View Full Version : Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

Wheelhouse
06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
I know it's all conjecture, but general soreness, is well, generally lame.

KronoRed
06-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I doubt it, JR doesn't seem the type to do such shenanigans.

RedsManRick
06-04-2008, 01:47 PM
I think he's probably been in need of a break for a while now, but the Reds didn't want to sit him at home given his proximity to 600. It's not so much that they're benching him now to avoid hitting #600 on the road but that he pushed himself a bit to try and get it at home and is now paying the price.

redsmetz
06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
I chose Choice #1, but I think there is some element of truth to #3 (without the winks).

westofyou
06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Lame eh?

The man is made out of tissue paper and spit and he still can't sit out a few games in his late 30's without questions.

Cracks me up.

Wheelhouse
06-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Lame eh?

The man is made out of tissue paper and spit and he still can't sit out a few games in his late 30's without questions.

Cracks me up.

What do you want with a report like "general soreness." I expect a player in his late 30's to be generally sore every game of the year an need rest on occasion. Why THESE games in a bandbox like Philly? Of course questions will come up...

fearofpopvol1
06-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I would normally be inclined to say yes, but in this case, no. Griffey hit 500 in STL and has openly said that he doesn't care where he hits it. I take him at face value on that.

REDREAD
06-04-2008, 02:47 PM
I think Jr is legitimately sore. Of course, they aren't being specific. Maybe his legs are a bit sore and they just want to rest him for awhile.

Dusty did make a comment saying that they hoped by resting him a day or two, it might prevent having to sit Jr for 12 days down the road. Seems to me to be a minor injury and they are playing it cautious. I don't think Dusty would lie about an injury. If Jr was 100%, I doubt Dusty doesn't play him for the sake of some milestone at home.

Considering how little the Reds have hyped #600, I doubt there is a sinister motive.

Degenerate39
06-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure I would guess that the first option is probably the best option.

jesusfan
06-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Sore? What is that? If I came in and told my high school coach a couple years ago that I couldn't play because I was sore he would laugh at me and tell me to go home... Why is it different for Major league ballplayers? I hear my dad talk about it all the time, Pete Rose or Joe Morgan would've never sat out because of something like this, you think Cal Ripken Jr was ever sore?

Don't get me wrong, I love Griffey, he is one of my all-time favorite players. However, I do feel there is something else deterring him from not playing (600) and that is a different argument to itself....

westofyou
06-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Sore? What is that? If I came in and told my high school coach a couple years ago that I couldn't play because I was sore he would laugh at me and tell me to go home... Why is it different for Major league ballplayers? I hear my dad talk about it all the time, Pete Rose or Joe Morgan would've never sat out because of something like this, you think Cal Ripken Jr was ever sore?

Don't get me wrong, I love Griffey, he is one of my all-time favorite players. However, I do feel there is something else deterring him from not playing (600) and that is a different argument to itself....

He's a 38 year old professional player, and asset and you are using your high school career as a comp?

Ok.

Pete Rose and Cal Ripken are anomalies, using them as a barometer for normalcy is a false reality to further your argument.

Joe Morgan played 21 seasons and topped 150 game exactly 4 times (only once after age 29) for a grand total of 19% of his career, Junior has done that 6 times in his career.

Joseph
06-04-2008, 04:38 PM
IF, and thats a huge ol' IF, but IF he's been held out at all it might be so he can hit it in Florida in front of his family and such.

I personally think he's nicked up though.

jesusfan
06-04-2008, 04:49 PM
He's a 38 year old professional player, and asset and you are using your high school career as a comp?

Ok.

Pete Rose and Cal Ripken are anomalies, using them as a barometer for normalcy is a false reality to further your argument.

Joe Morgan played 21 seasons and topped 150 game exactly 4 times (only once after age 29) for a grand total of 19% of his career, Junior has done that 6 times in his career.

I agree with everything you just said.... I am simply saying if he is being held out for being hurt, fine... being sore, that's crap... for hitting 600 somewhere else, that is ridiculous!

I am talking about the fact that he is diagnosed with "soreness". I don't have a clue as to what that means, maybe sitting at one game, but 3??? I don't buy it...

Highlifeman21
06-04-2008, 04:51 PM

And I doubt Griffey pops greenies like Rose, or Morgan, and possibly Ripken did.

It's amazing what chemicals can do to keep you in the lineup.

reds44
06-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Considering the fact he was pinch run for by Bronson Arroyo, I'm going to go ahead and believe he is really sore.

RedsManRick
06-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I agree with everything you just said.... I am simply saying if he is being held out for being hurt, fine... being sore, that's crap... for hitting 600 somewhere else, that is ridiculous!

I am talking about the fact that he is diagnosed with "soreness". I don't have a clue as to what that means, maybe sitting at one game, but 3??? I don't buy it...

I don't think the line between sore and injured is really that black and white. He's old. His body is breaking down. He has to be paced for a 162 game season and likely pushed himself on the home-stand to try and get #600 there.

Would it accomplish anything to say that his legs are weak? Is that an injury? How about having your hamstrings bolted to your femur?

We also need to consider the newly reinforced limits thanks to HIPAA. Getting medical information is quite difficult, especially if there are no actual medical procedures being performed to treat it.

I don't mean to give Junior a free pass, but I think the idea that he's being held out for the purpose of hitting #600 at home a bit conspiracy theroyish and the insistence on getting a full description of his medical condition a bit presumptuous.

Always Red
06-04-2008, 05:13 PM

HIPAA privacy rules mean that clubs cannot release health info about their players unless the players agree to it.

http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog

Things I'm told
Ken Griffey Jr had 44 c.c.'s of fluid drained from his knee. He received a cortisone shot a couple of days ago.

osuceltic
06-04-2008, 05:14 PM
IF, and thats a huge ol' IF, but IF he's been held out at all it might be so he can hit it in Florida in front of his family and such.

I personally think he's nicked up though.

Ding! I think he'd be happy to hit it either in Florida or Cincy. So he's trying to avoid doing it in Philly. Personally, I think that sucks.

cincrazy
06-04-2008, 06:14 PM

With all due respect, there's a difference between being "normal" sore, and "I've had countless operations the last several years and I'm literally being held together by screws and duct tape" sore. I think Griffey could play if he had to. But the Reds aren't going to rush him out there, ESPECIALLY with it being on the road.

I don't think they purposefully said "We're going to sit him as many games as we can so he can hit it at home." But I do think they realize he needed a break, and it's more than likely not a complete coincidence that it's happened at this point, as opposed to the homestand.

Always Red
06-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I think Griffey could play if he had to.

Things I'm told
Ken Griffey Jr had 44 c.c.'s of fluid drained from his knee. He received a cortisone shot a couple of days ago.

MartyFan
06-04-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't think any of the answers are real options...Junior is probably holding himself out of the games so that he can hit it in Florida near his family.

Always Red
06-04-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't think any of the answers are real options...Junior is probably holding himself out of the games so that he can hit it in Florida near his family.

...because I'm sure his knee will be feeling better then...

Things I'm told

I've had a real lesson tonight in the fact that most of us (including myself) don't really read the threads completely before we respond!!?

Always Red
06-04-2008, 08:11 PM
44 cc's of anything is 4.4 of these:

http://www.eastcoastmedicalsupply.com/ProductImages/Syringe%20Plunger.JPG

or, almost a full one of these:

http://www.varidmed.com/images/syr-50.gif

westofyou
06-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Nah he's lollygagging...

Always Red
06-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Nah he's lollygagging...

slacker...

Roy Tucker
06-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I'll subscribe to the pushed-himself-too-hard-and-is-now-paying-for-it theory. His recent lack of power is a symptom of this.

If this were game 7 of the WS, he'd be in there. But its a 4 game series in June. Let him take some rest and heal up. I'd like him to go on the DL if he's hurting, but Jr. isn't that way.

mth123
06-05-2008, 06:27 AM
He's hurt and has been all year. He has been slow and limited in the field for several years now, but this year is noticeably worse. I think his knee has been bothering him for a while now. I don't think any of the answers are the correct ones.

I'm pretty critical of Griffey's defense but he is not a lollygagger and he wants to play IMO. I think rest is the right thing at this point.

buckeyenut
06-05-2008, 06:45 AM
They did say on the broadcast last night that he was having a lot of knee pain and really shouldn't have been playing on the last homestand. I would think that part of it was no better option for the team. I think having Bruce around and delivering takes a little bit of the pressure off and lets him play when he is 100%.

Blimpie
06-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Hal McCoy is reporting that Junior is contractually obligated to hit #600 at home, on Father's Day, against the Red Sox.

Here endeth the mystery.

TeamBoone
06-05-2008, 09:10 AM
I am simply saying if he is being held out for being hurt, fine... being sore, that's crap... for hitting 600 somewhere else, that is ridiculous!

Why even speculate when we just don't know.

Marty said during last night's broadcast that his knee(s) is still sore. That could be legitimate... his knee has screws in it, doesn't it? That's reason enough to take his being "sore" a bit more seriously than someone who is otherwise healthy.

I'm sure if your tendons were attached to the bone by screws that your highschool coach would have cut you some slack.

marcshoe
06-05-2008, 11:46 AM

Because if we knew we wouldn't have to speculate? :p:

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if he has only played as much as he has because he's going after 600. I'm afraid he's going to end up hurting worse than is strictly necessary. I've been rooting for a quick #600 so he can get whatever he needs taken care of.

Matt700wlw
06-05-2008, 11:55 AM

It wouldn't be fun otherwise :cool: