PDA

View Full Version : It's time to go on record, ya'll...

Ben
06-04-2008, 01:51 PM
With a little more than 24 hours left until the MLB Draft opens at 2pm tomorrow, we need to go on record with our picks for the Reds at #7. I'm going to divide it up into 4 categories:

1.) I'm getting/drinking a 12 pack of 'Nati Light to celebrate (Your top guy)...
2.) I'll light a cigar in celebration (good pick)...
3.) Yawn, whatever (Eh, it's okay)...
4.) WTF! :angry: :cry: :thumbdown (hate it)...

Mine are as follows:

1.) Brian Matusz-He'll be in the MLB rotation quickly and will be a good #4 behind Volquez, Cueto and Harang
2.) Gordan Beckham-SS of the future, likely a quick mover
3.) Yonder Alonso-Not that I don't like his bat but it likely means that Dunn is a goner
4.) Casey Kelly-Sorry, his bat isn't good enough.

Let's have some fun with this :)

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Brian Matusz is the guy I'm dreaming of getting but is probably wishful thinking. Gordon Beckham is who I think they'll pick with Yonder Alonso being the fall back guy.

11larkin11
06-04-2008, 02:03 PM
How about we add a #5 of who we think they will pick

1.Brian Matusz-BPA as well as a definite need, I don't see where you can go wrong

2.Gordon Beckham-same as Matusz, but I will always want pitchers more than position player

3.Aaron Crow- only reason here because of injury concerns, but really like him especially because of his proximity to the majors.

4.Casey Kelly/Brett Lawrie- I like them both, Lawrie much much more, but neither are close to the top tier talent we are in position to get

5. I'm really torn over who I think they reall pick, I have actually backspaced about 5 times in this section, between Yonder Alonso and Gordon Beckham, but I think Beckham's performance with the wood bat in the Cape Cod League will net him the pick. Start at Sarasota, Chatt. and Louisville next year, maybe an 09 Sept. callup or in the mix in '10.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-04-2008, 02:03 PM
1.) T. Beckham, Alavarez, Posey, Matusz (Matusz the most realistic to fall to us at #7)
2.) Smoak, Crow, Alonso, G. Beckham, Hosmer
3.) Skipworth, Lawrie
4.) Anyone other than the 11 mentioned above

dougdirt
06-04-2008, 02:07 PM
With a little more than 24 hours left until the MLB Draft opens at 2pm tomorrow, we need to go on record with our picks for the Reds at #7. I'm going to divide it up into 4 categories:

1.) I'm getting/drinking a 12 pack of Coke to celebrate (Your top guy)...
2.) I'll throw a pizza in the oven in celebration (good pick)...

Assuming T Beckham, Alvarez, Posey and Matusz are off the board I would love to see the Reds go with the highest rated of these guys left(my own little draft board):

1. G Beckham
1a. J Smoak
2. Y Alonso
2a. A Crow (and pray every night for his arm to stay attatched)
2b. B Lawrie
3. K Skipworth
3a. Z Collier
3b. E Hosmer
3c. S Hunt
4. Anyone else.

bucksfan2
06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Assuming T Beckham, Alvarez, Posey and Matusz are off the board I would love to see the Reds go with the highest rated of these guys left(my own little draft board):

1. G Beckham
1a. J Smoak
2. Y Alonso
2a. A Crow (and pray every night for his arm to stay attatched)
2b. B Lawrie
3. K Skipworth
3a. Z Collier
3b. E Hosmer
3c. S Hunt
4. Anyone else.

The idea of taking a 1b with the 7th pick in the draft scares me. I don't know if Alonso projects to anywhere else outside of 1b but if I were to use a high pick on a 1b he would have to be he best hitter in the draft by a long shot. If you draft a SS or OF you atleast have more options to get him on the field. With a 1b unless he has the ability to play a corner OF spot, in the NL, you are left with only one position to play him in.

dougdirt
06-04-2008, 02:43 PM
The idea of taking a 1b with the 7th pick in the draft scares me. I don't know if Alonso projects to anywhere else outside of 1b but if I were to use a high pick on a 1b he would have to be he best hitter in the draft by a long shot. If you draft a SS or OF you atleast have more options to get him on the field. With a 1b unless he has the ability to play a corner OF spot, in the NL, you are left with only one position to play him in.
Historically college 3B and college 1B succeed in the majors more than any other position by far. Generally it is a very safe pick to take someone like that early in the draft, but safe doesn't mean no upside.

nmculbreth
06-04-2008, 02:44 PM

I feel the same way. I'd much rather use the pick on a skill position player because there are more fall back options. If a player doesn't work out at SS, you can try them at 2B, 3B or the OF. Similarly if a player doesn't work out at 3B you can move them to OF or 1B. The only option for a failed 1B is the DH, which obviously isn't an option.

I'm OK with the Reds drafting Alonso or Smoak if the Beckhams, Alvarez, Matsuz and Posey are off the board, my only objection would be if they passed over one of those skill position players to draft a 1B.

My ideal pick: Gordon Beckham.

AdamDunn
06-04-2008, 03:19 PM
1) Matusz
2) Beckham
3) Gordon
4) Kelly
5) Lawrie (though I don't know much about him, everyone says he's ok, so sure why not).
6) Crow

Third round I hope we get Chris Carpenter or Dominic de la Osa.

11larkin11
06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
1) Matusz
2) Beckham
3) Gordon
4) Kelly
5) Lawrie (though I don't know much about him, everyone says he's ok, so sure why not).
6) Crow

Third round I hope we get Chris Carpenter or Dominic de la Osa.

Please tell me you aren't wanting Casey Kelly...

AdamDunn
06-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Please tell me you aren't wanting Casey Kelly...

Why not? He's athletic, fast, and can field his position. I keep hearing people say scouts don't think he can hit, but no one is saying why. Till someone explains that to me, I'm going to say Casey Kelly is a solid (not spectacular) pick.

Grande Donkey
06-04-2008, 03:30 PM
I'd rather have Kelly as a pitcher than SS.

11larkin11
06-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Why not? He's athletic, fast, and can field his position. I keep hearing people say scouts don't think he can hit, but no one is saying why. Till someone explains that to me, I'm going to say Casey Kelly is a solid (not spectacular) pick.

Solid. Exactly. If we had the 20th pick in the draft, then yes. But this year has a crop of top tier talent of about 9-10 guys-Beckham, Beckham, Posey, Matusz, Crow, Smoak, Alonso, Hosmer, Alvarez, and you could make a case for Skipworth.Drafting #7 overall, you have to draft a great bat or fantastic arm, not a great fielding SS with a questionable bat.

NC Reds
06-04-2008, 03:34 PM
1. Matusz
2. Crow
3. Gordon Beckham
4. Smoak
5. Lawrie
6. Alonso

Bonus pick at number 84:
1. Aaron Shafer SP
2. Lance Lynn SP
3. Tyler Ladendorf SS
4. Aaron Weatherford RP
5. Scott Bittle RP

I doubt any of these guys drop to number 84, but you never really know.

HokieRed
06-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Surest pick likely available to us will be, I think, Gordon Beckham. I don't think we can take the risk of getting nothing if there's an injury to Crow. Our organization's better and deeper than it has been but not deep enough to blow a first round pick (and it's largely better because we've had four in a row that range from tremendous to promising). So I want Gordon Beckham, though just from looking at the youtube videos, I think Hosmer is the best bat in the draft.

bucksfan2
06-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Surest pick likely available to us will be, I think, Gordon Beckham. I don't think we can take the risk of getting nothing if there's an injury to Crow. Our organization's better and deeper than it has been but not deep enough to blow a first round pick (and it's largely better because we've had four in a row that range from tremendous to promising). So I want Gordon Beckham, though just from looking at the youtube videos, I think Hosmer is the best bat in the draft.

The more and more I think about it I would want Beckham. Just by watching Crow's video's his mechanics scare me. Couple that with the fact that he wants a major league contract and you are handing out quite a bit of chash for a guy who you are hoping doesn't throw out his arm or a guy who you are going to have to change mechanics.

M2
06-04-2008, 03:53 PM
My order of preference goes like this:

1) Tim Beckham
2) Buster Posey
3) Brian Matusz
4) Gordon Beckham
5) Aaron Crow

AdamDunn
06-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Solid. Exactly. If we had the 20th pick in the draft, then yes. But this year has a crop of top tier talent of about 9-10 guys-Beckham, Beckham, Posey, Matusz, Crow, Smoak, Alonso, Hosmer, Alvarez, and you could make a case for Skipworth.Drafting #7 overall, you have to draft a great bat or fantastic arm, not a great fielding SS with a questionable bat.

Ok... I'm assuming that Tim, Posey, Smoak, and Alvarez are all gone.

1) Crow has injury written on him.

2) Hosmer is Boras guy and only projects to have above average power and average bat.

3) I suppose you could throw Alonso in the list as well. Don't know too much about him.

4) Ditto about Skipworth, but we already got Devin last year. I doubt his ability presses the Reds to draft another catcher in the first round.

11larkin11
06-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Ok... I'm assuming that Tim, Posey, Smoak, and Alvarez are all gone.

1) Crow has injury written on him.

2) Hosmer is Boras guy and only projects to have above average power and average bat.

3) I suppose you could throw Alonso in the list as well. Don't know too much about him.

4) Ditto about Skipworth, but we already got Devin last year. I doubt his ability presses the Reds to draft another catcher in the first round.

And that leaves who? Gordon Beckham

lollipopcurve
06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
My preferences among the top-ranked guys.......

1. Posey

2. T. Beckham

3. Matusz, Alvarez

4. Alonso, G. Beckham

5. Crow

AdamDunn
06-04-2008, 04:13 PM
And that leaves who? Gordon Beckham

Gordon is ahead of Kelly on my list.

RedsManRick
06-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Of the options I've seen us linked with, put me down in the Alonso camp. I'm a big fan of high floor guys in the first round and he's as sure thing as it comes in this draft -- considering the increased chances of pitchers to get injured. I just can't think of other big power, very good plate discipline guys who haven't panned out.

I'm not worried about the organizational depth chart concerns.

M2
06-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Of the options I've seen us linked with, put me down in the Alonso camp. I'm a big fan of high floor guys in the first round and he's as sure thing as it comes in this draft -- considering the increased chances of pitchers to get injured. I just can't think of other big power, very good plate discipline guys who haven't panned out.

I'm not worried about the organizational depth chart concerns.

Yet here's the question. Choose between these two hitters:

Player A - .397/.505/.781
Player B - .370/.536/.767

It would seem to me both are big power, very good plate discipline players. Yet one plays SS (and just got listed as being the 3rd best collegiate athlete in the draft) and the other plays 1B.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-04-2008, 05:01 PM

It would seem to me both are big power, very good plate discipline players. Yet one plays SS (and just got listed as being the 3rd best collegiate athlete in the draft) and the other plays 1B.

What scares me about Beckham is what if he's just having a flukey year (Brandon Larson)? He's pretty much come out of nowhere this year.

Last year, he was solid at .969, but Alonso was 1.224 (this year Alonso 1.341 and Beckham 1.305). Granted, Beckham plays a defensive position, so if he can stick at SS and his bat is not just having a fluke year, he would be a great get. I just think Alonso or Smoak are both way more of the sure thing offensively and if you can squeeze some decent defense out of them it would be a bonus, even if they are at a non-defensive premium position.

This comparison brings me to a question. When comparing the SLG aspect of OPS between two players at the collegiate level, how much does the player's home park have to do with his power numbers? Could Beckham be in more of a hitter's park (or vise versa)? I would assume there is not much difference in the pitching between the ACC and SEC, but I would think park factors have to play some part.

AmarilloRed
06-04-2008, 05:02 PM
The four the Reds are hoping for (with where Baseball America rates them):

--2. Brian Matusz, a left-handed pitcher from the University of San Diego: He was a fourth-round pick out of high school. He throws up to 93, but his offspeed stuff sets him apart.

--4. Buster Posey, a catcher from Florida State: He's a converted shortstop. Baseball America calls him "one of the safest picks in the his years draft. His projection as an offensive catcher with Gold Glove-caliber defense has boosted Posey's draft stock as much as anyone's over the weeks leading up to the draft."

--6. Gordon Beckham, a shortstop from Georgia: That's Jeff Keppinger's background as well. Beckham won the Cape Cod home run title last year. He's been among the leading hitters in the NCAA, both in average and home runs.

--10. Yonder Alonso, a first baseman from Miami: A very good hitter. Drove in 69 runs as a freshman. Hit .376 with 18 homers as a sophomore.

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a94745346-5b5a-444d-bac8-0f926c166a2f&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

I would hope the Reds are concentrating on more than these 4, but I will go with these for now.

Betterread
06-04-2008, 05:03 PM
1. I might be the only person to think that ALVAREZ may fall to the Reds (because of the Boras connection) so he would be my first pick - he is a surefire MLer.
2. Aaron Crow, Shooter Hunt and Brian Matusz all have significant strengths and a few areas of concerns but any of these 3 would be a logical pick - college Ps are one of the two obvious strengths of the top end (top15) of this draft.
3. If (for some unknown reason) Buster Posey falls to the Reds - he's a safe pick.
3. The other strength is 1B - JUstin Smoak is the real deal, and Eric Hosmer has even more power potential. I like Smoak as a 4th choice.

Tim Beckham has been compared to the Uptons - this comparison flatters him. Gordon Beckham is less of a SS than CHris Valaika, though he mashes like a corner IFer, so that's OK.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Gordon Beckham is less of a SS than CHris Valaika, though he mashes like a corner IFer, so that's OK.

Says who?

Kingspoint
06-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Jockety's making this pick.

I think he'll go for the guy that has the biggest powerbat of whoever's left.

kaldaniels
06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Is there a "Lincecum" type-blunder possible this year? (I'm not one screaming about the Stubbs pick by the way...it happens and I still have high expectations for Drew). Anyway...as the title says...anyone want to strongly go on record on a possible gaffe rather than MMQB'ing. From all the mocks I've seen I don't forsee too much controversy unless Jock makes a shocking reach for someone.

AdamDunn
06-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Is there a "Lincecum" type-blunder possible this year? (I'm not one screaming about the Stubbs pick by the way...it happens and I still have high expectations for Drew). Anyway...as the title says...anyone want to strongly go on record on a possible gaffe rather than MMQB'ing. From all the mocks I've seen I don't forsee too much controversy unless Jock makes a shocking reach for someone.

If Brian Matusz is still on the board and the Reds don't take him.

Kingspoint
06-04-2008, 06:18 PM

Take the athlete (the SS).

Mario-Rijo
06-04-2008, 06:49 PM

1.) I'm getting/drinking a 12 pack of 'Nati Light to celebrate (Your top guy)...
2.) I'll light a cigar in celebration (good pick)...

Mine are as follows:

1.) Brian Matusz-He'll be in the MLB rotation quickly and will be a good #4 behind Volquez, Cueto and Harang
2.) Gordan Beckham-SS of the future, likely a quick mover
3.) Yonder Alonso-Not that I don't like his bat but it likely means that Dunn is a goner
4.) Casey Kelly-Sorry, his bat isn't good enough.

Let's have some fun with this :)

I like the way you have set this up Ben so I'll play along. I also like how BRL did it so I'll follow his lead as there are multiple people at each of these spots.

(In order of preference from L-R)
Nati Light - Tim Beckham, Brian Matusz, Gordon Beckham
Cigar - Alvarez, Posey, Smoak
Eh, it's ok (But not my pref)-Alonso, Hosmer, Crow, Skipworth, Hunt, Lawrie
WTF - Anyone Else

Grande Donkey
06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Nati Light doesn't sound like much of a celebration. More like a punishment.

HBP
06-04-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't think Matusz, T Beckham, or Posey will be there at #7.

So it will come down to Crow, G Beckham, and Alonso with Crow being the pick.
I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those.

Mario-Rijo
06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't think Matusz, T Beckham, or Posey will be there at #7.

So it will come down to Crow, G Beckham, and Alonso with Crow being the pick.
I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those.

I liked Crow more until I looked further into his mechanics. This kid just doesn't have one bad mechanical issue but 2 which doubles his chances of elbow/shoulder issues. The dreader inverted W and a wrist hook at the beginning of his delivery.

His stats are not all that impressive either 3+ era, nearly 3 BB's per 9 and less than 7 K's per nine. The era and BB's aren't too bothersome until you couple them with a lack of K's. If I am going to take a kid in the top 10 he better be dominating college hitters for the most part. I just don't know that he's worth the risk.

AdamDunn
06-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I liked Crow more until I looked further into his mechanics. This kid just doesn't have one bad mechanical issue but 2 which doubles his chances of elbow/shoulder issues. The dreader inverted W and a wrist hook at the beginning of his delivery.

His stats are not all that impressive either 3+ era, nearly 3 BB's per 9 and less than 7 K's per nine. The era and BB's aren't too bothersome until you couple them with a lack of K's. If I am going to take a kid in the top 10 he better be dominating college hitters for the most part. I just don't know that he's worth the risk.

Can someone describe the wrist hook problem for me?

dougdirt
06-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Can someone describe the wrist hook problem for me?

http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/03/28/aaroncrowmechanalysis/

Go check out that link. It breaks down the wrist issue fairly well. Frankie and Kiley do good work, but they don't seem so concerned with the elbow thing like others are. I on the other hand am concerned by it.

Grande Donkey
06-04-2008, 07:50 PM
1- Matusz, G Beckham
2- Lawrie, Alonso, Smoak
3- Crow
4- Kelly

M2
06-04-2008, 07:51 PM
What scares me about Beckham is what if he's just having a flukey year (Brandon Larson)? He's pretty much come out of nowhere this year.

I'd worry about that more if Beckham hadn't also gone off like a madman in the Cape League last summer (with a wood bat).

BuckeyeRedleg
06-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Crow has 127 K's in 107.1 IP and his ERA is 2.35.

http://mutigers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2007-2008/teamcume.html

Scrap Irony
06-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I'd jump for joy with a pick of Smoak. Best power bat, second-best BA bat, and plate discipline. A plus glove at first, too. And, best of all, a switch hitter.

I'm warming up to Lawrie, as I think his bat has a chance to be special. It's his glove that's questionable. (He's Frazier three years younger and at catcher.)

Gordon Bekham wouldn't be a bad pick, but I get shivers when I think of SEC SS's drafted in the first round by Cincinnati.

Both Crow and Matsutz are defensible picks, but neither is a sure-fire star either. Shrug.

I'd do cartwheels if Posey were available, too. Love me some top-end catchers. Hardest thing to find in all of baseball. Except, apparently, in Texas.

As for the third round, I hope and pray Lenny Dykstra's boy is still available. The Tack would be awesome to root for.

LoganBuck
06-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't have much of a preference on the top pick this year any of the top ranked talent would be fine. I don't want a reach. Not a fan of Crow.

One Question: What kind of injury did Tanner Scheppers actually suffer? Is his career in jeopardy, or is he a third round draft pick type of guy?

dougdirt
06-04-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't have much of a preference on the top pick this year any of the top ranked talent would be fine. I don't want a reach. Not a fan of Crow.

One Question: What kind of injury did Tanner Scheppers actually suffer? Is his career in jeopardy, or is he a third round draft pick type of guy?

Scheppers had a stress fracture near his shoulder. Some speculation it could be something more serious that they are trying to hide to keep him from losing out big time.

Blitz Dorsey
06-04-2008, 10:42 PM
1. Matusz

2. Crow

3. Beckham

4. Smoak (would be higher but we already have our 1B of the future with Votto... do we really want to burn the No. 7 overall pick on another 1B? We're obviously not an AL team that can play both of them using the DH)

LoganBuck
06-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Scheppers had a stress fracture near his shoulder. Some speculation it could be something more serious that they are trying to hide to keep him from losing out big time.

I have read some stuff on him that doesn't seem so bad, but then I see things that are writing him off. Who do you believe?

Blitz Dorsey
06-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I would love getting Sheppers with our second round pick, but I bet they won't "take a chance" like that. But good teams take those chances and a second-round pick is not all that much of a risk for a guy who was projected to be a top 15 pick just a month ago (before the injury). Although, two of the Reds' best players were second-round picks in Dunn and Votto (and probably others, but those are two off the top of my head... I think Phillips was actually a second-round pick by the Expos as well).

LoganBuck
06-04-2008, 10:57 PM
I would love getting Sheppers with our second round pick, but I bet they won't "take a chance" like that. But good teams take those chances and a second-round pick is not all that much of a risk for a guy who was projected to be a top 15 pick just a month ago (before the injury). Although, two of the Reds' best players were second-round picks in Dunn and Votto (and probably others, but those are two off the top of my head... I think Phillips was actually a second-round pick by the Expos as well).

Except Scheppers goes to the Brewers with the Reds second round pick. I think he goes in the third round.

Blitz Dorsey
06-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Except Scheppers goes to the Brewers with the Reds second round pick. I think he goes in the third round.

I meant the real second round, not the supplemental first round.

For the record, I think MLB needs to start calling the supplemental first round the second round. It really is the second round and it makes everything confusing.

It's also dumb that we lose our No. 2 pick just because we signed a free agent. Isn't there a waiver or something like that for a small market team? ha. But honestly, a team like the Reds should not get punished for signing a player like Cordero IMO. The last thing MLB wants to do is make smaller market teams shy away from signing free agents.

membengal
06-04-2008, 11:07 PM
I request the Reds draft another Jay Bruce or Ed Volquez. See to it, everyone.

Blue
06-04-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't think it would be a big deal to leave Matusz on the board at #7. His fastball isn't good enough to make me think that it would be something to lament.

In the second round, I've heard a lot about this kid Juan Duran who is said to have ridiculous power potential at only 16 years of age.

The Reds have had Navy RHP Mitch Harris in for a work out, and he could go as early as the third round. Here's an article on the kid: http://www.washtimes.com/news/2008/may/30/anchors-away/

Sounds like he'll work something out with the Navy. A bit of a shoulder problem sidelined him at the start of the season, but he pitched well when he did. His sophomore and junior seasons were phenomenal.

Chris Dominguez is who I want in the fourth. He could be a real steal.

Kingspoint
06-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Jockety's making this pick.

I think he'll go for the guy that has the biggest powerbat of whoever's left.

Got it right.

Blue
06-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I meant the real second round, not the supplemental first round.

For the record, I think MLB needs to start calling the supplemental first round the second round. It really is the second round and it makes everything confusing.

It's also dumb that we lose our No. 2 pick just because we signed a free agent. Isn't there a waiver or something like that for a small market team? ha. But honestly, a team like the Reds should not get punished for signing a player like Cordero IMO. The last thing MLB wants to do is make smaller market teams shy away from signing free agents.

I don't understand. We don't get a real 2nd round pick. We pick in the first, have no pick in the Supp. first, no pick in the second, and 1 pick in the real third.

Blue
06-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Got it right.

Your post was the first thing I thought of when I saw the pick.

Blitz Dorsey
06-05-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't understand. We don't get a real 2nd round pick. We pick in the first, have no pick in the Supp. first, no pick in the second, and 1 pick in the real third.

I messed up, my bad.

AmarilloRed
06-05-2008, 10:24 PM

We gave up our second round pick when we signed Francisco Cordero, I believe.

Kingspoint
06-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Beckham would have been great, too. I was at Beckham's games that MLB used to scout him (if you go to mlb.com in the draft section and click on the "enhanced scouting report" link ( http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/drafttracker.jsp ) of the player, it lists which games the scout was at when the evaluation was made.) P Josh Fields was very impressive, too, whom the Mariners took with their 1st Round selection. In fact, the whole Georgia team was very impressive as they reminded me of a Flintstone cartoon where Fred had to play football for his school and the opponents were all behemoths. That's what the Bulldogs looked like as compared to Oregon State, but among Georgia's Giants, there was this little guy named Beckham that slammed two homeruns. They were both no-doubters, and against a Freshman pitcher of the Beavers, Greg Peavy from Battle Ground, WA (home of Richie Sexson) that has potential for future 2nd-Team All-American status in two years.

SS Beckham would have been great, and perhaps a better pick as he would be able to play any of the outfield positions, but most likely would become the REDS starting 2nd Baseman after Brandon Phillips prices himself off of the team following the 2010 season.

Instead, Alonso has no place to play but 1B, and Votto will have to become the REDS Left Fielder in 2010 as Alonso should make his debut in September of 2009 with the REDS.

Blue
06-06-2008, 12:48 AM
SS Beckham would have been great, and perhaps a better pick as he would be able to play any of the outfield positions, but most likely would become the REDS starting 2nd Baseman after Brandon Phillips prices himself off of the team following the 2010 season.

Instead, Alonso has no place to play but 1B, and Votto will have to become the REDS Left Fielder in 2010 as Alonso should make his debut in September of 2009 with the REDS.

This part of your post made me realize that I have no idea what this team will look like in two years. I can't even hazard a guess, especially considering Castellini's statement about wanting to "win now". If they intend for Alonso to play for the Reds, that means Votto or Dunn is gone (probably Dunn). This will cause a huge downgrade in LF at least temporarily. However, for next season it means the Reds need to find new players for five positions in the regular lineup. FIVE! (C, 3B, SS, LF, CF.) That would seem to be damn near impossible to accomplish. Sometimes I can't figure out if things are getting better or worse.

Kingspoint
06-06-2008, 01:12 AM
This part of your post made me realize that I have no idea what this team will look like in two years. I can't even hazard a guess, especially considering Castellini's statement about wanting to "win now". If they intend for Alonso to play for the Reds, that means Votto or Dunn is gone (probably Dunn). This will cause a huge downgrade in LF at least temporarily. However, for next season it means the Reds need to find new players for five positions in the regular lineup. FIVE! (C, 3B, SS, LF, CF.) That would seem to be damn near impossible to accomplish. Sometimes I can't figure out if things are getting better or worse.

Gonzalez is the SS through 2009, with Valaika being able to take over in 2010.

EE should be the SS through 2011.

CF is a question mark the next several years.

Votto should be the LF in 2010 and on, but who knows who will be in 2009....Keppinger?

Alonso should be the 1B from 2010 and on.

Phillips will cost over $12M per year from 2011 and on, so I don't know if the REDS will pay that much. There are potential for others to play 2nd Base that are in the Minors.

Turner won't be ready until 2011, but he's also a LF, right?

Help here, please....

camisadelgolf
06-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Gonzalez is the SS through 2009, with Valaika being able to take over in 2010.

EE should be the SS through 2011.

CF is a question mark the next several years.

Votto should be the LF in 2010 and on, but who knows who will be in 2009....Keppinger?

Alonso should be the 1B from 2010 and on.

Phillips will cost over $12M per year from 2011 and on, so I don't know if the REDS will pay that much. There are potential for others to play 2nd Base that are in the Minors.

Turner won't be ready until 2011, but he's also a LF, right?

Help here, please....

Valaika is more of a second baseman than a shortstop, but he could play there as long as his bat comes as advertised. I expect him to be Jeff Keppinger with more power and strikeouts. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the shortstop duties being split between Keppinger, Valaika, and Janish.

I see EE as more of a third baseman than a shortstop. (Please tell me you made a typo.)

Votto can play left field, but that doesn't mean he should, even if Alonso is on the team. Then again, Dunn is the current left fielder, so how bad could it be?

Justin Turner has played only second base from what I've seen, but he's put up very similar stats to Chris Valaika, and he might be the guy the Reds turn to if BP isn't around. The Reds will need to cut salary in 2011, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips go if the Reds have a surplus at second base.

Kingspoint
06-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Valaika is more of a second baseman than a shortstop, but he could play there as long as his bat comes as advertised. I expect him to be Jeff Keppinger with more power and strikeouts. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the shortstop duties being split between Keppinger, Valaika, and Janish.

I see EE as more of a third baseman than a shortstop. (Please tell me you made a typo.)

Votto can play left field, but that doesn't mean he should, even if Alonso is on the team. Then again, Dunn is the current left fielder, so how bad could it be?

Justin Turner has played only second base from what I've seen, but he's put up very similar stats to Chris Valaika, and he might be the guy the Reds turn to if BP isn't around. The Reds will need to cut salary in 2011, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips go if the Reds have a surplus at second base.

Yes, that was a typo on EE as SS.