PDA

View Full Version : No Griffey tonite but Guess who is playing?

captainmorgan07
06-04-2008, 03:43 PM
If you guessed Corey Patterson your the 64 million dollar winner. Whatever dirt he has on Dusty it has to be very good cause Dusty continues to put him in the Lineup.

Hairston SS
Patterson CF
Bruce RF
Philips 2B
Dunn LF
Votto 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Bako C
Volquez P

schmidty622
06-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Not only that but 2nd. Seriously does anyone know what the ask Marty email is so i can ask him to ask Dusty; WHY ON EARTH he bats Patterson at the top of the lineup?

schmidty622
06-04-2008, 03:46 PM
And seriously, whats wrong with Griffey? I'm starting to think that where he hits 600 has been playing a big part in his sitting out.

FlyerFanatic
06-04-2008, 03:47 PM
just when i thought the reds were heading in the right direction...hopes shattered again.

durl
06-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Maybe Patterson will be better this time. Last year, EE performed FAR better after he was recalled.

Just looking for the silver lining...

Homer Bailey
06-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Oh my goodness.

namichael
06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Not only that but 2nd. Seriously does anyone know what the ask Marty email is so i can ask him to ask Dusty; WHY ON EARTH he bats Patterson at the top of the lineup?

I believe it is askmarty@redsonradio.com

I'll be listening tonight to see if he can justify it. Odds are he'll say, "because he's crazy." I really like Dusty, but this continuous action of putting Patterson at the top of the order baffles me.

texasdave
06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
If you guessed Corey Patterson your the 64 million dollar winner. Whatever dirt he has on Dusty it has to be very good cause Dusty continues to put him in the Lineup.

Hairston SS
Patterson CF
Bruce RF
Philips 2B
Dunn LF
Votto 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Bako C
Volquez P

Since Edwin is showing signs of ermegence, if you simply flip-flopped Patterson and EE you would have something.

justincredible
06-04-2008, 04:19 PM
What is wrong with keeping Hairston and Bruce at the top of the order? It seemed to be working to me.

Homer Bailey
06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm right back to where I was Sunday in terms of frustration (aside from Bruce finally being up). Corey Patterson isn't the one that makes me want to scream. Corey Patterson is Corey Patterson, and there is nothing he can do to change that. However, Dusty CAN control where he bats Patterson, and seeing him in the 2 hole makes me want to put my head through the wall.

FlyerFanatic
06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
what happens when griffey plays, does bruce move down while patterson stays in the 2 hole?

namichael
06-04-2008, 04:22 PM
what happens when griffey plays, does bruce move down while patterson stays in the 2 hole?

One would hope and pray that when Griffey plays, Patterson will be on the bench and Bruce will be in center field.

thorn
06-04-2008, 04:23 PM

How can that be possible? When Griffey is ready, patterson will be on the bench.

texasdave
06-04-2008, 04:23 PM

When Griffey returns Bruce goes to CF and Patterson to the bench.

bgwilly31
06-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Since Edwin is showing signs of ermegence, if you simply flip-flopped Patterson and EE you would have something.

No no no .

Your missing it as well.

EE has made a couple baby steps. No where near enough to help this team in 2nd hole however.

If patterson must play he should be 7 hole.

If hes got pop in his bat its not like his speed and hits will go un used down there.

The bottom of the order is very important aswell. People look past sometimes the imprtance of a teams ability to turn the order around.

In other words not leading off innings with the pitcher. I believe that happened a couple times last night.

AccordinglyReds
06-04-2008, 04:33 PM
I'd rather Hairston be in CF, and Janish at SS.

Nuxhall41
06-04-2008, 04:33 PM
What is wrong with keeping Hairston and Bruce at the top of the order? It seemed to be working to me.

I don't get it. I love Bruce in the #2 spot, but Dusty seems determined to have a hacker and easy out in the #2 spot. Hairston 1, Bruce 2 worked. It worked.

I(heart)Freel
06-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Basically Dusty is saying he likes Corey's bat more than Janish's.

It's a shame. But you can also see him weighting the lineup with lefties.

If Cor-Pat starts tomorrow over Janish... then I'll consider throwing something.

Kingspoint
06-04-2008, 04:54 PM
C'mon, Dusty? How stupid can you be? Let's give Patterson 4 AB's before everybody else get's any.

His manlove for Corey Patterson has sunk this season for the REDS....though it was predictable by many before the season ever began.

Kingspoint
06-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Patterson has made his money in baseball already.

I truely hope he pulls a hamstring and is injured for the season.

FlyerFanatic
06-04-2008, 04:59 PM
How can that be possible? When Griffey is ready, patterson will be on the bench.

true..brain fart..my bad

Blue
06-04-2008, 05:15 PM
C'mon, Dusty? How stupid can you be? Let's give Patterson 4 AB's before everybody else get's any.

His manlove for Corey Patterson has sunk this season for the REDS....though it was predictable by many before the season ever began.

Very, very stupid.

schmidty622
06-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Here is what I wrote to ask Marty:

Marty,

Why does Dusty Baker insist on batting Patterson in the 1 or 2 hole when he doesn't get on base enough to justify this position in the lineup?

Thanks,

Jeff in Columbus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a night class tonight so I won't be able to hear it but if on the off chance they use this question let me know. Thanks.

Homer Bailey
06-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Here is what I wrote to ask Marty:

Marty,

Why does Dusty Baker insist on batting Patterson in the 1 or 2 hole when he doesn't get on base enough to justify this position in the lineup?

Thanks,

Jeff in Columbus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a night class tonight so I won't be able to hear it but if on the off chance they use this question let me know. Thanks.

What email did you use? I tried to email and it didn't go through.

Jack Burton
06-04-2008, 05:35 PM
This should be a fireable offense, Dusty's gone.

Ghosts of 1990
06-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Patterson stinks. But in the same breath, all I heard about was everyone wanting no more griffey, no more griffey, etc. etc. etc. how he should be a part time player. etc. etc.

This is great not having to watch Griffey every night. I can honestly say I don't miss him and don't care a squeak about 600 (I'm just tired of hearing about it).

Homer Bailey
06-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Patterson stinks. But in the same breath, all I heard about was everyone wanting no more griffey, no more griffey, etc. etc. etc. how he should be a part time player. etc. etc.

This is great not having to watch Griffey every night. I can honestly say I don't miss him and don't care a squeak about 600 (I'm just tired of hearing about it).

Just as his bat was getting hot you are ready for no more Griffey? And in his place you would rather have Patterson? I still love watching Griffey, just not in the three hole. Dusty's inability to do the most important thing a manager has to do (fill out a lineup) leaves me speechless.

Ghosts of 1990
06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I'll take Griffey over patterson don't get me wrong... I was more making fun of all the 'Griffey should go to a platoon role' then everyone in an uproar when he takes the series off.

Patterson shouldn't be on a major league roster. He'll continue to struggle.

thorn
06-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Look at it this way, it helped me. Dusty is trying to stack the lineup with Lefties today, if Patterson was moved to the 7th or 8th spot with Bako and the pitchers spot around him this would make the bottom half of the lineup completely usless, we'd be playing with 6 players offensively. At least from the #2 spot, he wont have 3 automatic outs batting in order. Basically having Edwin/Votto cary the bottom of the order, and Harriston/Bruce carry the top half leaving the middle of the lineup as is. And if he does get lucky and get on, at least they have someone capable of getting him in, unlike if he was hitting 7th or 8th.

CincyRed44
06-04-2008, 06:08 PM
:angry:Well crap!!!:angry:.... What's Janish doing in Cincinnati if he's just going to ride the pine. Patterson can not hit PERIOD. If he must start put his horrible OB% and toothpick of a bat in the the eighth slot... That way if his toothpick miraculously turns into a tree limb or an actual bat he could possibly steal second or a pitcher can SAC him over SOOOOOOO folks that can truly hit will drive him home alaaaaa.....Hairston, Bruce and Co.

Hairston CF
Bruce RF
Phillips 2B
Dunn LF
Votto 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Bako/Ross C
Janish SS
PITCHER P

Tis my vote.... SAY NO MORE TO CP in the starting line-up.

I'd really hate to see any game on the line with "Almighty" on deck as CP swings doofusly at AIR for the rally ending K.:angry::angry::angry::angry:

_Sir_Charles_
06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Do you seriously think that Baker is viewing Corey as an "automatic out"? Baker has put Corey where he put him because he STILL has faith in him that he'll produce and that his speed will be an asset on the basepaths. I hope he's right, but history tells us that he's dead wrong.

Also, if Dusty were even remotely aware of the lineup he constructs depending upon the opposing pitcher, why would he possibly contemplate having Brandon Phillips bat cleanup against a Right-handed pitcher? It's very obvious that this sort of strategy does not come into play when he constructs a line up. Neither does On Base Percentage or we'd be seeing Adam Dunn higher in the batting order.

Kingspoint
06-04-2008, 06:24 PM
So, we've got a guy batting in front of the torrid Bruce and hot Dunn who's "ceiling" tonight is that he gets on base once.

Nice....so, Patterson becomes an automatic out, they pitch around Bruce, pitch to Phillips, then pitch around Dunn.

joshua
06-04-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm absolutely speechless. Billy Crystal puts up better at-bats than Patterson.

thorn
06-04-2008, 06:32 PM
So you'd rather have Patterson batting 7th trying to drive in runs and continuing rallies the middle of the lineup has started? If he's in there, minimize his damange, not put him in position to drive in runs. I don't care what Dusty visions him as, he is what he is, an out machine.

Ghosts of 1990
06-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Since we can't get a game thread going I had an idea.

http://www.diamondhoggers.com/2008/06/well-give-covering-it-live-shot.html

Come here and chat it up in the liveblog. It's streaming and its fun.

keeganbrick
06-04-2008, 07:23 PM
This fricking double lead off thing is getting really old. Especially when you have a sub .200 avg hitter in the 2 hole.

_Sir_Charles_
06-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Since we can't get a game thread going I had an idea.

http://www.diamondhoggers.com/2008/06/well-give-covering-it-live-shot.html

Come here and chat it up in the liveblog. It's streaming and its fun.

There's a chat here too you know. Top of the screen.

TheBigLebowski
06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
http://home.maine.rr.com/danimal/scans/do-not-want-dog.jpg

Kingspoint
06-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Don't forget what kind of feelings this sends to the rest of the team.

A guy who's absolutely worthless at the plate continues to get a prestige batting order spot.

Dusty, you are absolutely clueless.

foxfire123
06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Jeeez...

I agree--he must have some MAJOR dirt of Dusty! I dunno about the rest of you, but I was hoping he'd done his last roundup with the Reds....

Jack Burton
06-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Really, just for playing him tonight Dusty should be fired. For batting him in the 2 hole he should never be allowed to manage in the majors again. But hey, CP sure proved he's worthy of that spot with his tremendous performance tonight.

ChatterRed
06-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I Just Got Home And Checked The Boxscore And Now I Am Bald From Pulling All My Hair Out!

Is Our Manager Really An Idiot?

nmculbreth
06-04-2008, 11:17 PM
I think the most frustrating part of the whole situation is that if Corey Patterson was properly utilized he could be an asset to this ball club. Patterson could be a nice option off the bench as a defensive replacement or pinch runner while getting an occasional start, provided he was hitting at the bottom of the lineup. Sadly it seems that Dusty simply cannot resist the impulse to put him at the front of the lineup and that the only way to prevent this from happening is designating him for assignment. I don't think Chris Dickerson would be any better (though it's difficult to imagine him being any worse) but maybe Dusty would actually hit him at the bottom of the lineup.

Fullboat
06-04-2008, 11:25 PM
I think the most frustrating part of the whole situation is that if Corey Patterson was properly utilized he could be an asset to this ball club. Patterson could be a nice option off the bench as a defensive replacement or pinch runner while getting an occasional start, provided he was hitting at the bottom of the lineup. Sadly it seems that Dusty simply cannot resist the impulse to put him at the front of the lineup and that the only way to prevent this from happening is designating him for assignment. I don't think Chris Dickerson would be any better (though it's difficult to imagine him being any worse) but maybe Dusty would actually hit him at the bottom of the lineup.

Exactly! And what good is Janish for this team if he
doesn't play.Send him back to AAA and let him get his
AB.