PDA

View Full Version : Smart Players

Sea Ray
06-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Joey Votto has really impressed me with his poise and overall baseball IQ. He already has that look of a veteran on the baseball field. I guess this is the opposite of "deer in the headlights". He looks poised on defense and poised at the plate no matter what the situation. He's not rattled. I think he'll be a calming influence and a leader on this team for years to come.

In fact he is the poster child for what I'm seeing as an increasing baseball IQ for this team and I think that bodes well for the future. I see this high baseball IQ with other younger players such as Jeff Keppinger, Jay Bruce and Paul Janish. They seem to have a nice grasp on how to play the game. I'll go on to say that we've had our share of players in recent years who did not impress me with their baseball IQ and I'll name names...Ryan Freel, Felipe Lopez, Dante Bichette, Wily Mo Pena and Reuben Mateo to name a few. My hope is that this will translate into more well played games in the future and less boneheaded plays.

BCubb2003
06-04-2008, 11:23 PM
I'd add Volquez to the smart player list.

WVRedsFan
06-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Joey Votto has really impressed me with his poise and overall baseball IQ. He already has that look of a veteran on the baseball field. I guess this is the opposite of "deer in the headlights". He looks poised on defense and poised at the plate no matter what the situation. He's not rattled. I think he'll be a calming influence and a leader on this team for years to come.

In fact he is the poster child for what I'm seeing as an increasing baseball IQ for this team and I think that bodes well for the future. I see this high baseball IQ with other younger players such as Jeff Keppinger, Jay Bruce and Paul Janish. They seem to have a nice grasp on how to play the game. I'll go on to say that we've had our share of players in recent years who did not impress me with their baseball IQ and I'll name names...Ryan Freel, Felipe Lopez, Dante Bichette, Wily Mo Pena and Reuben Mateo to name a few. My hope is that this will translate into more well played games in the future and less boneheaded plays.

I totally agree. You know, I've often pondered the baseball IQ of the players on the Reds over the last 8 years. Someone on this board commented on the "dumb" hitters on this club. I would agree that Votto, Volquez and so many others are simply much more aware of good baseball strategy and practice than others. You know who they are.

kaldaniels
06-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Few and far between are the times this year when I have thought Votto played/acted like a rookie. He stepped right into the lineup and is performing like a veteran. He's gonna hit about 30 homers this year...and is slipping in under the radar.

Topcat
06-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Votto is no surprise because he is Canadian :)

TeamBoone
06-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Do the Reds minor league teams have different staff from when the other guys mentioned were in the system? I'm just wondering if they're getting much better instruction at the lower levels, and it's showing when they get called up.

Seems I remember a major revamping a couple years ago, but I'm not totally sure.

remdog
06-05-2008, 09:28 AM
I thought that Votto would be a solid player but I have to admit that he's impressed me as being better than I expected. I would have traded him this past winter for the right pitcher but that deal didn't happen---now I'm happy to say that I'm glad it didn't.

Sea Ray, you're right, the guy simply looks and plays as if he's been there before and he belongs. If I knew nothing about him I'd think he'd been in the league for 4 or 5 years.

Despite the 7 errors he's been charged with I've also come to be confident about the defense he displays. It's been better than I expected.

All in all, the Reds have a 'keeper' at first for the next 6 or 7 years, IMO.

Rem

jojo
06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Everybody has a high baseball IQ when the team is winning (or when they're doing well).

Dunn is a great example. In March and April he was very lazy and simply wasn't trying. In May he really gave it his all. :cool:

Matt700wlw
06-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Sometimes I forget Votto is a rookie

Matt700wlw
06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Everybody has a high baseball IQ when the team is winning (or when they're doing well).

Dunn is a great example. In March and April he was very lazy and simply wasn't trying. In May he really gave it his all. :cool:

Nah. He's still lazy.

His bat just happens to make contact sometimes ;)

Cooper
06-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Votto says the right things.

When interviewed last night regarding his defense and baserunning, he was quick to point out the players and coaches that help him out. That kind of thing makes everyone feel good about their effort to making things better and it increases team morale.

What's amazing is it comes from a rookie.

his defense at first has been fine. Those throwing errors come from improper technique which can be fixed.

What cannot be taught is his range (stellar) and his throwing arm (again:stellar). He makes so many more plays than Hatteberg could.....plus he's very good at scooping the throws from the dirt.

I think he ranks 5th in MLB at defensive win shares for 1st basemen (if you believe inthat kind of thing).