PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from Wednesday Night's 2-0 Win

Homer Bailey
06-05-2008, 12:31 AM
1. EDINSON VOLQUEZ - Everytime he goes out I half expect him to return to "norm," but he just does it everytime. To do what he did in that ballpark against that lineup is just amazing. He really is our stopper. I can't say enough about what he did and what he does for this team.

2. The bullpen - Awesome again. Never gave in to any of their hitters and let them get themselves out. Just awesome.

3. Joey Votto - Nice to see some finally drop in! Talk about clutch. EV deserved to win this game and he helped make it happen. Nice pick at first on Hairston's bad throw as well.

4. It amazes me that this team wins games despite an almost deliberate effort by the manager to make them lose it. I'm gonna make a quick rundown of the Dusty mistakes I can think of off the top of my head.
-Corey Patterson being in the lineup (Should be Hairston in CF and Janish at SS)
-Patterson in the 2 hole
-Hitting and running with Dunn/Votto
-Letting Patterson go to the plate in the 8th
-Letting Patterson SWING in the 8th
-When inserting Cordero, not double switching him. He then has to hit, and hits into the inning ended double play.
-Anyone else got more? I'm sure they are out there...

5. Again, the Reds make the opposing pitcher look like Cy Young for most of the night.

6. Again, can't say enough about Edinson Volquez.

Great win tonight! Let's beat Hamels tomorrow!

Homer Bailey
06-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Forgot one....

Jerry Hairston simply is not a SS. At least 50% of his throws bounce to first, if he even fields it.

AdamDunn
06-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Forgot one....

Jerry Hairston simply is not a SS. At least 50% of his throws bounce to first, if he even fields it.

But he's done one heck of a job leading off. I have no problem with him at short until he cools down or Keppinger or Gonzalez gets back. Plus, the only other person is Janish, which isn't bad, but not as good as Hairston's been.

captainmorgan07
06-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Volquez pitched exceptionally well tonite. To shut out that lineup is not a easy thing to do. Striking out Utley to times is not very easy either.

Votto came up big with the 2 rbi's tonite. Very impressive how he took it the other way to scored phillips on the first run of the game.

Bray was exceptional tonite as well. Should of had a 1-2-3 inning but we came out unscafed. Bullpen has been pitching very well of late.

Homer Bailey
06-05-2008, 12:45 AM
But he's done one heck of a job leading off. I have no problem with him at short until he cools down or Keppinger or Gonzalez gets back. Plus, the only other person is Janish, which isn't bad, but not as good as Hairston's been.

Can't argue with what he has done at the plate. However, He's cooled the last two days, and he can play center over Patterson, and have Janish at SS. That is a solid defensive team. I mean, Hairston is reeeally bad at SS.

fugowitribe
06-05-2008, 12:47 AM

Yeah, and I would rather have him playing short and leading off than Corey Patterson playing CF and Leading off (or batting 2nd like tonight) with Janish in the other slot.

I know we are trying to give Griffey a rest and trying to get him to hit the big one in Cincy, but is it really worth the suffering that our lineup took tonight with Patterson batting 2nd? :feedback:

Homer Bailey
06-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Yeah, and I would rather have him playing short and leading off than Corey Patterson playing CF and Leading off (or batting 2nd like tonight) with Janish in the other slot.

I know we are trying to give Griffey a rest and trying to get him to hit the big one in Cincy, but is it really worth the suffering that our lineup took tonight with Patterson batting 2nd? :feedback:

No...

Hairston CF
Bruce RF
Dunn LF
Phillips
Votto
EE
Janish
Ross

But against the lefty I bet we see:

Hairston CF
Janish SS
Bruce RF
Phillips
Dunn
Votto
EE
Ross

jhiller21
06-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Who was that Phillies play-by-play guy? He sounds like Katherine Hepburn trapped in a paint shaker.

Jack Burton
06-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Good point on the lack of double switch w/ cordero, really could've came back to haunt. It's funny that a team has to win in spite of their manager.

ChatterRed
06-05-2008, 08:56 AM
I thought Volquez was more impressive than Myers. Myers had the no hitter, but he seemed more willing to walk guys than give them anything to hit. I thought he was picking around the plate at times moreso than Volquez.

schmidty622
06-05-2008, 09:26 AM
If there's a positive, Coste said, it's that Volquez won't pitch on Thursday.

"My thought when you face a guy like Volquez is that anyone else should seem easy," Coste said. "Hopefully, that's the case [Thursday]."

gobucks106
06-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Letting Bako hit against a lefty with bases loaded and nobody out in the ninth. We have three catchers for crying out load. Use one, Ross is right handed and Javier is a switch hitter. We should have scored a couple more.

BLEEDS
06-05-2008, 11:43 AM
4. It amazes me that this team wins games despite an almost deliberate effort by the manager to make them lose it. I'm gonna make a quick rundown of the Dusty mistakes I can think of off the top of my head.
-Corey Patterson being in the lineup (Should be Hairston in CF and Janish at SS)
-Patterson in the 2 hole

It really is amazing, I believe it is actually the definition of insanity.
CP may never bat above .200 again, but "he's fast and can hit it out of the ballpark" - unfortunately HITTING it is the FIRST requirement of hitting it out of the ballpark. He's now what 0-fer his last 30?!?!?

Hairston is cooling off, but as long as his BA is above .300 he'll kept being trotted out there - even if he goes 0-fer until he breaks that plateau... Kepp can't get healthy soon enough.

But against the lefty I bet we see:

Hairston CF
Janish SS
Bruce RF
Phillips
Dunn
Votto
EE
Ross

Unfortunately, in his infinite wisdom, DUHsty decides THIS is the day he will play Junior - against a lefty. :confused:

So, you'll probably see this:

Hairston SS
Bruce CF
Junior RF
BP 2B
Dunn LF
EE 3B
Votto 1B
Ross C

PEACE

-BLEEDS

redhawkfish
06-05-2008, 11:52 AM
I will add one positive and that is Brandon Phillips defense, and two rally starting at bats and baserunning(2nd SB was probably lucky). I am beginning to take his great defense for granted!

TDHND
06-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Votto seems to get better every at bat

gomuskies
06-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Edi-stone is a stud, balls of steel, I'm pretty sure the camera caught him laughing/smiling with the bases loaded. When he is in trouble, we are all starting to get used to the bulldog he becomes. He can strike you out 3 ways. Remember when homer came up for the first time? it was mini bruce syndrome, fans showed up eager to see our future ace, ready for him to usurp harangatang, obviously homer has a long way to go...in the interim Volquez through a realistic sample has shown his ability to push harang while cueto is doing the same to arroyo to an extent, point is with those two pitchers and bruce ahead of him, there is little pressure on homer this time around, i'de be happy with 4 runs in 5 innings, extatic with a quality start, hard to silence phils bats 2 in a row.

that said, why in philly?

bgwilly31
06-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Can someone explain to me how a double switch works?

And why that would have enabled us to not have cordero go to the plate in the 9th but still pitch in the bottom of the inning?

levydl
06-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Can someone explain to me how a double switch works?

And why that would have enabled us to not have cordero go to the plate in the 9th but still pitch in the bottom of the inning?

It's when you take out a pitcher and another fielder at the same time, but replace the pitcher with a fielder and the fielder with a pitcher, so that the fielder that comes in hits in the spot in the lineup of the pitcher that just got taken out, and the pitcher that comes hits in the spot of the fielder that just got taken out.

You can rearrange defensive positions whenever you want (so that the relief pitcher that comes in can come in for a fielder, but then go in to pitch when the pitcher actually, technically, for double switch purposes is replaced by a fielder), but you can't rearrange the batting order the same way, so you have to do it with the double switch.

For instance, last night in the top of the 9th, the Reds had Phillips leading off the inning from the cleanup spot. So, in the bottom of the 8th, when Cordero came in, the Reds could have done a double switch by bringing in Cordero for Patterson (since Patterson was batting 2nd in the lineup and would probably not hit in the next inning) and bringing in Janish for Bill Bray. Then Hairston would move to CF (where Patterson was), Janish would go to SS (where Hairston was), and Cordero would pitch, but Janish would bat in the 9th spot in the order, since he technically came in for Bray, while Cordero would bat in the 2 spot, since he technically came in for Patterson.

See how easy that was.;)