PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing the Defense: Strong Defensive CF or SS?

nmculbreth
06-04-2008, 11:56 PM
If you had to choose between playing a strong defender in CF and a weak defender at SS or a weak defender in CF and strong defender at SS which option would you choose?

To relate it more specifically to the Reds, given the fact that Hairston is needed in the lineup to bat leadoff, where do you think he fits best defensively? Are the Reds best served by starting Hairston as SS with Patterson in CF or Hairston in CF and Janish at SS?

With Dunn and Griffey in LF and RF respectively, I would have said I would have preferred a strong CF to a strong SS but with Dunn and Bruce I'm not sure the club wouldn't be better off by sticking the slick fielder at SS.

Thoughts?

Homer Bailey
06-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Normally I would say strong CF, but that means Patterson, and that means him in either the 1 or 2 hole, blocking Bruce. So I say strong SS.

captainmorgan07
06-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Shorstop by far. He's almost the captain of the infield. A shorstop who has good range and a decent arm can become a gold glove winner. Shorstops don't always need a good stick to become good players. CF is where you need offense from and there's also alot of defensivly lacking centerfielders around baseball today. Look at Hairston in San Diego, Cubs Centerfielders, and Almezega in Florida.

Fullboat
06-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Well if griffey is out I would put Hairston at RF move Bruce
To CF and Janish at SS.Hairston would be O.K. in CF as well
he is fast and has a better arm then Patterson I think.

ChatterRed
06-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I think Keppinger is more solid at SS than most give him credit for. He's not flashy and maybe doesn't have the range of the superstar SS's, but he makes the plays he has to, and his bat more than makes up for it.

As for the outfield, I would rather see them put Bruce back in CF, move Hairston to RF.........until maybe they can sign or trade for a RH power hitting OFer.