PDA

View Full Version : Why all the hate for Homer?

44Magnum
06-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Did I miss something? Sure, he may be a bit immature, but why does everyone here want him to fail so badly?

The Reds are the ones who have screwed up his mechanics. They are trying to make him something he is not. That is why his fastball velocity is down.

Could he handle things off the field in a better manner? Yes, but I believe he will learn from his mistakes. He's still young and dealing with adversity for the first time in his baseball life. Cut him some slack.

If Homer is a bust, it will hurt the Reds for years. You can't keep having 1st rounders bust and have a successful franchise. I believe Reds fans need to get behind this kid and pull for him.

TheBigLebowski
06-05-2008, 09:38 AM
The problem for Mr. Bailey is that he is the first top-rate pitching prospect we have developed from within for quite some time (Cueto is now #2 but people were never watching him the way they watched Homer) and they expected him to put up a 1.50 era when he was called up last year and it didn't happen. Baseball fans - Reds fans in particular - do not want to believe that their top prospects are actually human and may take some time to develop.

The bottom line is that Homer is still very young and very talented. There is a legit chance he gets knocked around a bit today but hey, he's facing the Phils on the road. They're the most imposing offense in the NL and Homer's debuting against them..tough draw.

I think in 2 years he'll be a top flight starter and all this nonsense will be forgotten.

Jefferson24
06-05-2008, 09:49 AM
I think it has to do with the "attitude problem" that many feel he has. He needs to be a little more humble and realize he is young and still has much to learn. His numbers back up the fact that he has room to improve but yet he has said openly that he doesn't think he is learning anything from pitching at Louisville.

He is young and talented but he will only develop into a good pitcher at the major league level if he learns to pitch and to not just try and throw the ball past everyone.

levydl
06-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Cocky works in sports. It's not like you have to deal with him on a daily basis or anything. He's a young guy with a chip on his shoulder.

And he doesn't have anything left to learn by pitching in AAA.

redsfan1966
06-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I do think the hate has a lot to do with the attitude issue. Homer seems to have rubbed a lot of people--media and general public--the wrong way. Seeing him at Cooper Stadium last week; dude did give the "I'm better than you vibe" before and after games....

levydl
06-05-2008, 12:48 PM
I do think the hate has a lot to do with the attitude issue. Homer seems to have rubbed a lot of people--media and general public--the wrong way. Seeing him at Cooper Stadium last week; dude did give the "I'm better than you vibe" before and after games....

He is better than you.

BurgervilleBuck
06-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I think in 2 years he'll be a top flight starter and all this nonsense will be forgotten.
I agree with you. While every roster move is critical, the sound from the shirt ripping of Reds fans makes it sound as if we're bringing Josh Fogg, Eric Milton and Kyle Lohse to pitch three consecutive innings.

It hasn't been even a year since Homer was called up (debuted June 8th last year) and already, some are saying he's worse than most of the no names we had after the '03 fire sale.

Homer will be worth the wait, peops.

ChatterRed
06-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Cocky works in sports. It's not like you have to deal with him on a daily basis or anything. He's a young guy with a chip on his shoulder.

And he doesn't have anything left to learn by pitching in AAA.

Let's see. Of all the starters at Louisville (not counting Belisle's one start), Homer has the highest WHIP. His e.r.a. is above 4.00 which is not exactly major league inspiring at triple A. In the month of May, Homer has given up 23 runs in 30 innings pitched. He has given up 22 walks and struckout 23.

Yeah, he has nothing left to learn at triple A. :rolleyes:

Nice to see the Reds rewarding a guy who doesn't deserve it.

levydl
06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
And who does deserve it?

Maloney? He just got killed his last start after pitching poorly in his first several. And he has strikingly similar numbers to Bailey anyway.

Thompson? He's been in AAA for 2 starts. Deserve it?

Who? We have to have a 5th starter. Fogg (when he's healthy)? Belisle? Whom do you want?

By the way, how'd Homer look today?

ChatterRed
06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
He lost. End of story. Cole Hamels showed what real pitching is.

redsfanmia
06-05-2008, 05:00 PM

David pitched good today so why the hate? His defense let him down big time and the offense was lacking in a major way. I have a question about this team are they good enough to just give away games like today by playing like they are running late for their flight?

levydl
06-05-2008, 05:02 PM

You're a joke. He pitched well today. Did Homer bang your daughter and not call her again or something?

keeganbrick
06-05-2008, 05:07 PM

Since when do Wins measure how good someone is? Harang SUCKS

gilpdawg
06-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Since when do Wins measure how good someone is? Harang SUCKS

Well, that Paul Daugherty clown said something of the sort a couple of weeks ago, although he didn't mention Harang specifically.

Blue
06-05-2008, 05:26 PM

Yeah I figured this would be your angle. Get a clue.

TheBigLebowski
06-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah I figured this would be your angle. Get a clue.

I think Homer snogged his girl or stole his dog or something. Either way, Mr. Chatter is dangerously close to landing on my ignore list, which is a fate worse than death.

Ghosts of 1990
06-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Phillies have a better lineup than the Reds. We don't hit lefites. The matchup was in there favor. Just because Homer lost and didn't pitch better than Hamels, arguably the premiere young lefty in the game today, doesn't make homer a chump.

He did well. He's better than Cueto, Arroyo, and any other schmuck we sent out in the 5th spot. Give me a break people

ChatterRed
06-05-2008, 07:06 PM
You're a joke. He pitched well today. Did Homer bang your daughter and not call her again or something?

No. She was trying to get his attention while he was suppose to be charting pitches, but he was too busy reading a hunting magazine. :D

redsfan1966
06-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Homer pitched well today.....as far as being better than me...yeah he is....but you may once in a while treat people decently..

SarasotaFan
06-05-2008, 08:03 PM
He did well. He's better than Cueto, Arroyo, and any other schmuck we sent out in the 5th spot. Give me a break peoplethat's funny.

The problem for Mr. Bailey is that he is the first top-rate pitching prospect we have developed from within for quite some time (Cueto is now #2 but people were never watching him the way they watched Homer) and they expected him to put up a 1.50 era when he was called up last year and it didn't happen. Baseball fans - Reds fans in particular - do not want to believe that their top prospects are actually human and may take some time to develop.cueto isn't #2 - he's not in that list cause he's in the ML. homer isn't #1 though. cueto was never watched as closely as Homer because he wasn't a 1st round draft pick touted as the next fireballing Nolan Ryan - he was a free agent signing from the D.R. and progressed nicely through the system.