PDA

View Full Version : 2008 MLB Draft Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

KronoRed
06-05-2008, 05:19 PM
If we don't sign him, we only get a sandwhich pick (between round 1 and 2)
That's what happened when we didn't sign Sowers...

Rules have changed since then.

Mario-Rijo

I don't think that it works that way any longer.

OnBaseMachine
Zach Collier to the Phillies at #34. That's a steal IMO.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Mike Montgomery just taken. I took him for the Pirates in the 2nd round in the mock draft. Not bad me.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 05:20 PM
That's fine but who do you trade? Frazier, EE, Alonso (if so why pick him), or Votto?

I myself would not deal Votto, that is a big mistake IMO.

I have no problem dealing Votto as I've already stated in this thread. I dont see a star at all. He's a good ballplayer, maybe a few AS teams - maybe. But I think you could get quite a bit for him. I might look to move him for more talent.

Puffy
06-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Personally, I'm not all that enamored with Votto. I don't know. I like the guy, but I wouldn't be upset if he was moved, especially if Jocketty could get another team to bite on what a talent he is and net a nice return. But, thats just me.

Don't look at me - I was/is the one who thought Votto should have been the guy to get Volquez. I would have throw in Maloney, Stubbs, or even Bailey to get that done.

Griffey to left, Dunn to first, Hamilton and Bruce in center and right (positions depending on spring training and who the Reds felt was stronger in center at this point).

But I like Votto - as a 1st basemen. As a leftfielder I don't know

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 05:22 PM

Okay, but I believe the rules have changed since then. Can someone confirm? I didn't really follow all the rule change hubub a year or two ago..

The signing date changed, no more draft and follows, loss of a comopensation round from the draft, and if you didn't sign your first rounder.. i thought you got better than a compensation pick if it was a first round pick that you didn't sign?

NorrisHopper30
06-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Our next pick is 68?

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Our next pick is 68?

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Okay, but I believe the rules have changed since then. Can someone confirm? I didn't really follow all the rule change hubub a year or two ago..

The signing date changed, no more draft and follows, loss of a comopensation round from the draft, and if you didn't sign your first rounder.. i thought you got better than a compensation pick if it was a first round pick that you didn't sign?

We would get the #8 pick next year.... they want to call it the #7b pick, but its actually the #8 pick in the draft.

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I have no problem dealing Votto as I've already stated in this thread. I dont see a star at all. He's a good ballplayer, maybe a few AS teams - maybe. But I think you could get quite a bit for him. I might look to move him for more talent.

I would disagree with you on that, he is an outstanding all around 1st basemen, IMO he will be the better player between he and Alonso.

IslandRed
06-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't like the pick. Alonso is, IMO, the fifth best option for pick 7. Smoak is the better 1B, a switch hitter, with better pop and a better glove, not to mention better BA skills. He also played against better competition.

Just looking at Alonso vs. Smoak, I'll grant that Smoak is a switch-hitter (I *love* switch-hitters) and should be better defensively. I don't think it's at all clear he's a better hitter. The ACC was the #1 league in the RPI this year (addressing the competition factor) and, looking at both their careers and the most recent season, there's nothing in the performance record that Alonso has to concede to Smoak. He's hit for average just as well, his raw power and actual game power has been just as good, and his plate discipline is superb.

KronoRed
06-05-2008, 05:26 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Draft

Prior to 2007, a team retained the rights to sign a selected player for one week prior to the next draft, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis. Starting in 2007, the deadline for signing a drafted player is August 15. A selected player who enters a junior college cannot be signed until the conclusion of the school's baseball season. A player who is drafted and does not sign with the club that selected him may be drafted again at a future year's draft, so long as the player is eligible for that year's draft. A club may not select a player again in a subsequent year, unless the player has consented to the re-selection.

and

Teams can also earn compensation for unsigned picks from the previous year's draft. If a team doesn't sign a first or second round pick, they will get to pick at the same slot plus one the following year. For instance, if the team with the #5 pick does not sign that player, they would have the #6 pick the following year. The regular draft order would continue around those picks. For compensation for not signing a third round pick, teams would get a pick in a sandwich round between the third and fourth rounds. If a team fails to sign a player with one of these compensated picks, there is no compensation the following year.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 05:28 PM
There is still plenty of top talent on the board. Hopefully a guy like Aaron Shafer continues to slide to the Reds. Or a HS bat like Nikko Vazquez or Jay Austin.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Compensation round is over. The second round begins at 6:15.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Zach Collier to the Phillies at #34. That's a steal IMO.

Agreed, I thought he was a 1st rounder for sure. Back end, but 1st round. Draft has taken a nice direction, for the Reds IMO.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the update on the rules ya'll.

2nd round does begin until 6:15 eastern? 45 min break? are you kidding me?

fearofpopvol1
06-05-2008, 05:33 PM
FYI, Ken Griffey Sr. is about to join the draft folks momentarily on ESPN2...

Blue
06-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the update on the rules ya'll.

2nd round does begin until 6:15 eastern? 45 min break? are you kidding me?

Its called "dinner". ;)

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Its called "dinner". ;)

I figured they'd order up some chinese take out and have some lackey go grab the food while we continued drafting.

thorn
06-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Agreed, I thought he was a 1st rounder for sure. Back end, but 1st round. Draft has taken a nice direction, for the Reds IMO.

You wonder how a kid like Duran compares to Collier relative to competition and are about the same age.

jojo
06-05-2008, 05:42 PM
No issues with the pick. Beckham was there and it seemed he was the lock for the Reds given their history, but Alonso has a great bat (compared to Adrian Gonzalez) with great discipline and he hits to all fields. So what if he is limited to 1B, if you can hit then it doesn't matter.

Yep. Ya gotta get them to the majors before it's a "log jam". He's got a bat that looks a lot less risky than a box of tools. The farm is supposed to make major leaguers. If a log jam occurs then trade some jam for some maple syrup....

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Some of the top talent still available includes: Tim Melville, Alex Meyer, Ross Seaton, Dennis Raben, Tyson Ross, Issac Galloway, Robbie Ross, Zach Stewart, Daniel Webb, Zach Putnam, Brett Hunter, and many others.

Blue
06-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I figured they'd order up some chinese take out and have some lackey go grab the food while we continued drafting.

I bet some of the guys are trying to get Bowden liquored up to see what kind of ridiculous picks he'll make once he's stripped of his inhibitions.

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Yep. Ya gotta get them to the majors before it's a "log jam". He's got a bat that looks a lot less risky than a box of tools. The farm is supposed to make major leaguers. If a log jam occurs then trade some jam for some maple syrup....

I understand that point but the point I think is that the logjam if it happens will cause us to trade from our core players. That's ok if for example you can secure a package of say Reggie Willits and Macier Izturis (or an arm) for EE.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 05:47 PM

I agree. Worry about logjams once the players get there. The worse thing if Alonso hits as expected is that you'd move Joey to the OF or trade Votto or Yonder and if Votto hits like he has and Alonso does too then you'd get a nice package for either. Either some top prospects or a ML ready player at a position of need.

jojo
06-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I understand that point but the point I think is that the logjam if it happens will cause us to trade from our core players. That's ok if for example you can secure a package of say Reggie Willits and Macier Izturis (or an arm) for EE.

But for that to happen it would mean they became expendable wouldn't it?

Besides probably the absolute quickest we'd likely be seeing a "log jam" from this pick would be like 2.5 years....

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 05:53 PM
The Astros already have an awful farm system and aren't helping it much with today's draft:

Sandwich Shocker

Posted Jun. 5, 2008 4:27 pm by John Manuel
Filed under: Draft Day

The Astros are the Astros, and after taking Jason Castro at 10 overall—considered a reach for a late-first-round talent—they went off the board with their supplemental pick, taking 6-foot-4 Jordan Lyles. He didn’t make BA’s Top 200, and ranked seventh in the state of South Carolina, tops among prep players. Here’s Matt Blood’s scouting report on Lyles:

Righthander Jordan Lyles leads the high school ranks. Blessed with a clean and easy delivery, Lyles offers a fastball in the upper 80s and can break 90 mph on occasion. He also has room in his 6-foot-4 frame to add strength and velocity. Lyles also throws a curveball and changeup and can command all three pitches. A three-sport star in high school, Lyles is athletic on the mound. He is committed to South Carolina

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Yeah the Lyles pick surprised me a lot but here have been several surprises so far.

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2008, 05:59 PM
But for that to happen it would mean they became expendable wouldn't it?

Besides probably the absolute quickest we'd likely be seeing a "log jam" from this pick would be like 2.5 years....

It's possible it could be sooner if Dunn stays and Frazier comes quick. But do you feel Alonso is that far away, he's pretty much what he is gonna be?!

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 05:59 PM
The Astros taking Castro at 10. I think it's a reach that high with Smoak still on the board. Weeks at #12 was a high pick for him as well. Melville, Gray, Meyr, Lobstein, R Ross, Palazzone all still there. Most may go to college.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:00 PM
What is Houston doing? Are they that bad off?

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Some of the top talent still available includes: Tim Melville, Alex Meyer, Ross Seaton, Dennis Raben, Tyson Ross, Issac Galloway, Robbie Ross, Zach Stewart, Daniel Webb, Zach Putnam, Brett Hunter, and many others.

Still quite an impressive crop of Talent on the board.

If Melville keeps falling, the Reds would be wise to pick him and throw money at him to keep him from going to NC.

M2
06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
I'd have taken Beckham, Crow and Smoak in front of Alonso, but I've got no quibbles with Alonso's bat. If he hits big (and there's no reason to think he won't) then there won't be any reason to gnash any teeth over this pick. Also, what to do with an excess of talent is a problem we should hope the Reds suffer from in the future.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:07 PM
It will surely be Yonder's bat and plate discipline that carry him to the big leagues. But I keep reading sources that says he has above average defensive potential. Seems to be a mixed crowd. A plus I keep reading about his is makeup. A very underrated attribute when talking about prospects IMO.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 06:10 PM
What is Houston doing? Are they that bad off?

I don't know about you guys, but I am sending them a scouting resume and asking for a job because they seem like they need some real help.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:12 PM
If the Reds draft a pitcher this is who I want:

84 AARON SHAFER, RHP, Wichita State
Shafer had established himself as one of the premier pitching prospects for the 2008 draft midway through the 2007 season. Then he strained his elbow, which didn't require surgery but sidelined him for a month. His fastball hasn't been the same since. Shafer used to work from 91-94 mph with his fastball and now ranges from 88-91 mph. The diminished velocity hasn't made him less effective, however. His effortless delivery allows his heater to get on hitters quickly, and it enables him to live in the bottom of the strike zone. He has above-average command of his fastball, 12-to-6 curveball and changeup. Shafer has a solid 6-foot-4, 205-pound frame and his arm has been healthy since tweaking his elbow. He's no longer a candidate for the first round, but he could go in the second or third.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/draft-preview/2008/266125.html#btekotte

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I am sending them a scouting resume and asking for a job because they seem like they need some real help.

Ha, no doubt. A buddy of mine knows someone prominent in their organization, maybe he could get my foot in the door. My "in". :P

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
When is this firing back up? I thought 6 est?

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:17 PM
There's still too many good players out there, especially from the prep ranks. Seem to be tumbling. I wouldn't mind the Reds taking a look at Tyler Sample from Mullen HS, Colorado either.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:20 PM
When is this firing back up? I thought 6 est?

6:15 supposedly.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Rays select Kyle Lobstein to begin the second round.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Pirates take Tanner Scheppers at 48. Whoa.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Scheppers is a surprise this early.... at least to me.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Good risk, I like it.. good pick.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm looking for a big HS bat at 84. Or Aaron Shafer.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Interesting note that Scheppers was asking for around 2.5 million this past week. Could this be the pick they punt to help pay for Alvarez?

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Brewers take Cutter Dykstra at 54.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Nationals take Destin Hood.... now there is a surprise. Not.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:33 PM
If the Pie Rats go out and sign both Scheppers and Alvarez they've already done pretty well. A serious statement if they ever needed to make one. Scheppers might not have been available to them next round. I think its a good gamble for them to take. Hope whatever is wrong with him is fixable, and they dont punt this one.

OnBaseMachine
Of course Jimbo takes a toolsy outfielder in Destin Hood.

Scrap Irony
Damn, He was my guy

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Astros take Jay Austin.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Robbie Ross goes #57 to the Rangers.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:35 PM
And Tyson Ross to the A's. Good pick there.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Nationals take Destin Hood.... now there is a surprise. Not.

http://lanceolson.com/lol/borat_not.jpg

In other news, Robbie Ross the Colorado Rockies 2nd rounder has gone to the Texas Rangers..

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
back to back Ross's go in the draft.

Tyson Ross to the A's.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Xavier Avery to the O's.. they're having another nice draft.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Dodgers take Josh Lindblom, a boiler maker reliever? Wasn't Sean Watson a boiler maker?

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Shane Peterson to Cards, Ty Ladendorf to Twinkies and Dodgers take Josh Lindblom

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Is it just me or are the brewers loading up?

Lawrie, Odorizzi, Fredrickson, Lintz, Dykstra, Adams..

Wow.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Brewers take RHP Thomas Adams

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Reds next pick is 20 picks away and guys like Stephen Fife, Aaron Shafer, Zach Stewart, Tim Murphy, James Darnell, Zach Putnam, Daniel Webb, and Brett Hunter are still available.

cincyinco
Brewers take RHP Thomas Adams

I can't find anything on this guy..

OnBaseMachine
Damn. Cubs take Aaron Shafer at 65.

OnBaseMachine
Dodgers take Josh Lindblom, a boiler maker reliever? Wasn't Sean Watson a boiler maker?

Watson went to Tennessee.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Melville is still there.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Cody Satterwhite to the Tigers at 67.

redhawk61
06-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Reds next pick is 20 picks away and guys like Stephen Fife, Aaron Shafer, Zach Stewart, Tim Murphy, James Darnell, Zach Putnam, Daniel Webb, and Brett Hunter are still available.

also Riccio Torrez:D obviously I am high on him with picking him the 2nd in our mock(where I also got Zach Stewart who is an absolute beast

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:45 PM
The Reds just may take Stewart if he's there at 84.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Things are looking real good for the Reds right now IMO, that they could still land some high upside talent at pick 3 if they want to spend some more money.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:46 PM
James Darnell goes #69 to the Padres.

OesterPoster
06-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Jake Odorizzi to the Brew Crew.. Nice pick for them.

Ha! I picked him for the Brew Crew in the mock draft too.

I shall now proceed to win the lottery tonight. :)

Grande Donkey
06-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Give me Daniel Webb.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Zach Stewart is a college reliever considered a late first round/compensation pick type talent. I'd take him at 84.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 06:49 PM
fingers crossed for Steven Fife....

redhawk61
06-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Zach Stewart is a college reliever considered a late first round/compensation pick type talent. I'd take him at 84.

same here mid to upper 90's fastball with a average to plus slider and good control

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:50 PM
fingers crossed for Steven Fife....

Yeah, I like him a lot too.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:51 PM
11 picks away and Fife and Stewart are still on the board...

RedlegJake
Arizona takers Brian Shaw of Long Beach ST, now just 11 more in front of us.

redhawk61
Yeah, I like him a lot too.

I know nothing about him tell me more

M2
06-05-2008, 06:53 PM
There's still too many good players out there, especially from the prep ranks.

This was a down year for HS arms (as opposed to the bumper crop last year). Is there a prep arm in this draft clearly better than Kyle Lotzkar? I don't think there is. Last year Lotzkar was one of many big, hard throwing kids with a decent or better secondary pitch.

And some of the better HS bats don't have a lot of tools, so it will be interesting to see how many teams are willing to pay for the stick at this time or if they'll be content to sort through this class in three years.

NC Reds
06-05-2008, 06:53 PM
I like Weatherford if we go with a reliever.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm rooting for Melville. Throw some cash at him. Yonder, Melville, Duran.. gotta count Duran.

Edit.. although if he's fallen this far you can maybe grab him in an even later round and go for it.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Seven picks away and Melville/Stewart/Fife still available.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Derrick Gibson ranked 199 by BA goes to the Red Sox at 77.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Round three begins.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Reds might have a real chance to land some prime talent with their 3rd pick. Tons of guys have fallen. Lets cross our fingers.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Jordy Mercer goes #79 to Pirates.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Tyler Sample #80 to Royals.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Reds are going to get a chance at Melville/Stewart/Fife.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Royals take Sample.. nice pick I think.

OnBaseMachine
Three picks away...

RedlegJake
Orioles take Hoes.

OnBaseMachine
Roger Kieschnick to Giants at 82.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Nice, Giants take Kieschnick

OnBaseMachine
Reds are on the clock with all three available.

cincyinco
Reds are up! Oh no!

Doc. Scott
06-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Stewart!

cincyinco
Zach Stewart!

RedlegJake
Zach Stewart!!!!!!!!! Great pick!

Buckeye33
STEWART!

GoReds33
The Reds pick Zachery Stewart from Texas Tech.

Edit: Well, I got beat to the chase.

Grande Donkey
WOOOO

HeatherC1212
Stewart sounds like a great pick! :)

NC Reds
06-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Stewart. I like it.

What is with his ordinary stats this season though? He clearly has a plus arm.

OnBaseMachine
Reds take...Zach Stewart!!!!!

Great pick.

cincyinco
BA says Stewart was a possible 1st rounder going into this season.

OnBaseMachine
Stephen Fife goes 85 to Red Sox.

cincyinco
Fife goes to the Red Sox!

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 07:04 PM
If you look at Juan Duran as our #2 pick, with Alonso #1 and now Stewart this is a great draft so far.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Stewart is a hell of a pick. He's another guy who shouldn't too much time in the minors. He's got a plus fastball and slider and throws an average change.

GoReds33
06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
MLB.com says he throws in the 95-97 range with his fastball. Could be on a fast track with Alonso.

Grande Donkey
06-05-2008, 07:06 PM
When is the Reds next pick?

cincyinco
BA also says that according to scouts Stewart has sometimes shown a plus plus slider to go with a mid 90's FB that has incredibly filthy sink. Solid.

GoReds33
What's your knee-jerk reaction on how long it takes for him to be up here?

GoReds33
06-05-2008, 07:07 PM
When is the Reds next pick?119

redhawk61
06-05-2008, 07:07 PM
YES ZACH STEWART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They finally made pick with all these players that I actually
targeted. I feel honored

95-97 FB with plus life!!!!:D
average to plus slider with good deception
Good control with the fb!!!!:eek::D:beerme:

I am stoked right now

Our furture bullpen with the gas of Stewart, Roenieke, Cordero, Burton. !!!!!!!

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Melville, Putnam.. Hunter.. lots of good picks still on the board.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Paramore, a great defensive catching prospect to Oakland, Cards get Niko Vasquez.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Go watch Stewarts video. Pretty good.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2008/index.jsp?mc=stewart

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
At this point you have tothink Melville goes to college unless someone goes over slot to make him play.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, Melville goes to college unless someone throws dollars at him.. he could slide to 5-7th round.. maybe more.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:13 PM
milb.com says Stewart has two plus power pitches and command of both of them and has the right demeanor to be a closer.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Brewers have taken a couple picks that seem like value picks, less than slot money picks. Guys with little info about them..

Blue
06-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah, Melville goes to college unless someone throws dollars at him.. he could slide to 5-7th round.. maybe more.

This year's Kentraill Davis.

redhawk61
06-05-2008, 07:15 PM
milb.com says Stewart has two plus power pitches and command of both of them and has the right demeanor to be a closer.

you have no idea how nuts I am going right nw. I have no idea how he was still around. and he will be the successor to CoCo with Burton and Roenekie setting up

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Dodgers get Kyle Russell who could be a huge slugger though scouts doubt his bat plays well in the majors - nice risk pick with ton of potential though

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Still plenty of guys rated in the top 100 by BA available, getting closer to the 4th round.

RedlegJake
Cubs get anice 3rd rounder in Carpenter. Power arm.

podgejeff_
Just got on, I'm wary about the Alonso pick but I can live with the fact that he's one of the best bats in this draft filled with bats.

Loving the Stewart pick, looks like we got a major steal there. Can we say "closer of the future?"

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:17 PM
I believe toolsy HS outfielder Issac Galloway is still available. BA has him as the 36th best player. I wouldn't mind him at 119.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Scot Green's off the board. Another big guy 6-8 245.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Galloway is indeed available. Time to take some good risks... an opportunity to land real talent coming up.

RedlegJake
The Mets just picked the most unpronounceable name in the draft. Kirk Nieuwenhuis

OnBaseMachine
Brett Hunter, Issac Galloway (who is compared to Mike Cameron defensively), Aaron Weatherford, Zach Cox are all available and would be nice picks.

redhawk61
06-05-2008, 07:20 PM
lets just says this about our picks thus far, even though we have a very good minor league system, both of them our now top 10 guys (Alonso #1, Stewart 8-9 cause he is a reliever) at least in my book

GoReds33
Cubs get anice 3rd rounder in Carpenter. Power arm.I thought he would end up going earlier, but this is defenitly a good pick in the third round. Since it was the Cubs, I hope it blows up in their face.:)

gm
Here's hoping Stewart doesn't wind up like the last college closer the Red's drafted

(some kid named Wagner?)

Grande Donkey
06-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Brett Hunter, Issac Galloway (who is compared to Mike Cameron defensively), Aaron Weatherford, Zach Cox are all available and would be nice picks.
Did Webb get drafted already?

M2
This year's Kentraill Davis.

More like Matt Harvey.

OnBaseMachine
Galloway would be my pick. Really love the Mike Cameron/Torii Hunter comparisons.

GoReds33
lets just says this about our picks thus far, even though we have a very good minor league system, both of them our now top 10 guys (Alonso #1, Stewart 8-9 cause he is a reliever) at least in my bookI think Frazier's number one, just based on results. I think that Alonso has great potential, and great makeup, but Frazier is a bit more proven.

OnBaseMachine
Weatherford goes 103 to Rockies.

podgejeff_
Here's hoping Stewart doesn't wind up like the last college closer the Red's drafted

(some kid named Wagner?)

Don't forget about Sean Watson. He was also a college closer, drafted two years ago, second round.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Did Webb get drafted already?

No.

cincyinco
Weatherford is a nice pick for the Rox.

RedlegJake
Looking more and more like pick 4 could be agood one.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Zach Putnam is also on the board.

Doc. Scott
06-05-2008, 07:25 PM
An unusually large number of second basemen getting picked in the first few rounds this year. In draft parlance 2B means "not athletic enough for SS".

Blue
06-05-2008, 07:25 PM
I still like Chris Dominguez a lot... in case you didn't know.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Astros take Ross Seaton to begin the compensation third round.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:28 PM
B Comp Round has begun. I thought the 3rd round comp round was eliminated.. my mistake. looks like the 2nd round comp round was eliminated.

Rounding Third
06-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I believe toolsy HS outfielder Issac Galloway is still available. BA has him as the 36th best player. I wouldn't mind him at 119.

So would Leatherpants rather take a toolsy OFer, or wait until the Reds draft him and then trade for him?

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Angels take Zach Cone.

Fourth round here we come.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm amazed at how much talent is still on the board available for the Reds to choose from. We've had pretty good fortune already I'd say on that alone. As long as Buckley and crew continue to make solid picks, we have a chance to do really well for ourselves.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Reds pick is six picks away.

gm
06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Don't forget about Sean Watson. He was also a college closer, drafted two years ago, second round.

I would have had to know that fact before I could've forgotten it...thanks, I had a feeling I'd be leaving someone out, between Ryan and Zach.

At first blush Stewart's mechanics look less herky-jerky than Wagner, but I still see that 3/4 arm slot...and who really knows how many pitches a kid's arm has before the surgeries begin?

The Reds have had better luck with their young pitchers in recent years. (5 years ago they had a rash of broken arms) Maybe the organization has turned the corner IRT developing pitching prospects? If that's true it would be outstanding and about ________ time

podgejeff_
06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
What major talents are still on board?

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Royals Take Melville! Crap!

redhawk61
Riccio still on the board ;)

larks
Melville gone to the Royals

Grande Donkey
Melville is gone to the Royals

OnBaseMachine
Tim Melville goes 115 to Royals.

RedlegJake
KC takes Melville. I'd go to college

Grande Donkey
3 picks away

larks
06-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Hoping for C. Dominguez here for the Reds

cincyinco
Time to take some of the higher profile names still on the board. Melville may signal and end to the slide of the higher profile prospects.

Grande Donkey

redhawk61
06-05-2008, 07:35 PM
brandon crawford, forgot about him

OnBaseMachine
Brandon Crawford goes 117 to Giants.

larks
Shoot. Brandon Crawford was another hope of mine. He is off to the Giants. Who are having a great draft.

Blue
Forgot about Crawford. Glad it wasn't us who took him.

cincyinco
Reds are up, time to take Putnam! :)

Grande Donkey
Reds are on the clock

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Galloway/Putnam/Hunter/Webb still available for Reds.

podgejeff_
The write-up on Melville makes him sound intriguing. Wish he were still on board. Good value pick by the Royals.

redhawk61
Tyler Cline....anybody know anything..

though I really don't care Yonder and Stewart are more than enough for me

cincyinco
Reds select Tyler Cline(?) at 119

Grande Donkey
Who is this?

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Reds take...Tyler Cline RHP HS.

Blue
ooooooooookay...

who is this guy?

RedlegJake
Ty Cline. Hope he's a better player than his dad.

larks
06-05-2008, 07:38 PM
MLb.com guys have no idea. Ha!

TheBigLebowski
I know nothing about this guy.

podgejeff_
Found this with a quick google search:

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=52597

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM
We can't have the same link in three straight posts.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Tyler Cline is a 2008 RHP/3B/C with a 6'3'', 215 lb. frame from Cartersville GA, who attends Cass HS. Named to Top Prospect Team.Thick extra strong build. Primary OF, looks like a RHP prospect. FB tops 90 mph, occ excellent life, slurve 75 SL, good chg, low effort mechanics, some pitchability. Plus raw power at the plate, aggressive swing, front foot hitter. Two-way power prospect.

RedlegJake
ehhh. Hope they know what they're doing.

redhawk61
Tyler Cline is a 2008 RHP/3B/C with a 6'3'', 215 lb. frame from Cartersville GA, who attends Cass HS. Named to Top Prospect Team.Thick extra strong build. Primary OF, looks like a RHP prospect. FB tops 90 mph, occ excellent life, slurve 75 SL, good chg, low effort mechanics, some pitchability. Plus raw power at the plate, aggressive swing, front foot hitter. Two-way power prospect.

Blue
06-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Can throw at least 90 mph:

http://www.perfectgame.org/stories/06_12_29_highlights_national_underclass/

TheBigLebowski
He looks a little overweight.

NC Reds
Sounds like a reach relative to where he was picked.

edabbs44
I hate reaches.

M2
BA didn't see fit to give Cline any mention beyond listing him as the #24 prospect in the state of Georgia. I think it's fair to say a scout must have loved what he saw from Cline and convinced the front office this kid was a diamond in the rough.

OnBaseMachine
Tyler Cline is a 2008 RHP/3B/C with a 6'3'', 215 lb. frame from Cartersville GA, who attends Cass HS. Named to Top Prospect Team.Thick extra strong build. Primary OF, looks like a RHP prospect. FB tops 90 mph, occ excellent life, slurve 75 SL, good chg, low effort mechanics, some pitchability. Plus raw power at the plate, aggressive swing, front foot hitter. Two-way power prospect

PG Report
Tyler Cline is a 2008 RHP/3B/C with a 6'3'', 215 lb. frame from Cartersville, GA who attends Cass HS. Strong frame with big upper half, thickness in legs, leg lift rock back delivery, medium effort, compact arm action, hides ball well in back, changeup is a good pitch, curveball spins tight with very nice break at times.

podgejeff_
06-05-2008, 07:42 PM
I can live with the reach considering we got Stewart in round 3.

TheBigLebowski
06-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I just don't see the need for a reach at this point. Too many other good prospects still on the board.

redhawk61
06-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah for me its w/e the rest of the draft..;)

larks
I think Scott Gorgen is a very good pick for the Cardinals. Now that I see the Reds pick, I wish they would have given him a shot.

nate
He's...uh...photogenic!

M2
06-05-2008, 07:45 PM
The Twins just nabbed a kid out of Puerto Rico name Daniel Ortiz who was on my sleeper list.

RedlegJake
Wonder whether they see him as a position player or pitcher? Probably pitcher since draft lists him as such and the team picks the position to list. David Wells junior?

cincyinco
TJ Steele for the Astros is a solid pick.

NC Reds
06-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I like the kid the Cards got at #125 - Scott Gorgen.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Reds next pick is 149 right?

gm
06-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Will Tyler Cline become the next Brooks Kieschnick? (sp)

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I hope this Cline kid is similar to the lesser known(at the time) Travis Wood - a pick that shocked redszone and left them saying "who?" as well, but looks to be the work of real good scouting. Of course, that was under the Dan'O regime. But I remember a few going "huh?" about the Valaika pick as well - and he's done pretty well for himself.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 07:49 PM
I doubt he's actually related to the former player Ty Cline, too young, but I still wonder if he's any relation though. Right part of the country. Ty was from Georgia too I believe and went o school at Clemson.

Blue
06-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Working on some Cline info...

OnBaseMachine
Top 100 Players Still Available

Posted Jun. 5, 2008 6:34 pm by John Manuel

For BA, the Best Players on the Board as we move to pick 10 and on, by Top 100 rank (forgive me if I missed one):

No. 15: Tim Melville, rhp

No. 25: Alex Meyer, rhp

No. 48: Daniel Webb, rhp

No. 49: Robbie Grossman, of

No. 51: Brett Hunter, rhp

No. 90 Eric Thames, of (Injured)

But then Melville just went at 115 to the Royals. See that post I just made a few minutes ago about the prep pitchers the Royals were drafting? That just happened again.

NC Reds
I like the Hensley pick by Seattle at #132. I can't figure that Cline pick at all.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Top 100 Players Still Available

Posted Jun. 5, 2008 6:34 pm by John Manuel

For BA, the Best Players on the Board as we move to pick 10 and on, by Top 100 rank (forgive me if I missed one):

No. 15: Tim Melville, rhp

No. 25: Alex Meyer, rhp

No. 48: Daniel Webb, rhp

No. 49: Robbie Grossman, of

No. 51: Brett Hunter, rhp

No. 90 Eric Thames, of (Injured)

But then Melville just went at 115 to the Royals. See that post I just made a few minutes ago about the prep pitchers the Royals were drafting? That just happened again.

I think theres quite a bit more than that isn't there? Galloway still there.. lots more i thought.. sonny gray, etc. Tons.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Robbie Grossman/Galloway/Dominguez at 149 would be nice.

redhawk61
06-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Robbie Grossman/Galloway/Dominguez at 149 would be nice.

so would Torrez;)

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 07:57 PM
The Cline pick is why you hire scouts. Sabre, BA, BP and al the rest don't send out scouts or maintain their own scouting departments. They glean info from scouts but you think the teams really let out a lot of their best info on players? I'll go with the Reds scouts on this one because he sure looks to have a projectible body type, good raw stuff, good mechanics. Marge tried to go the BA/BP/Scouting-for-hire route and really messed things up. I'd take the scouts word for it, then hold them responsible if too many picks are flops at high slots especially. That is why the Reds hire them.

NC Reds
06-05-2008, 07:58 PM

This is the 119th best prospect?? Really? Prove me wrong kid.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Onto the 5th

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Round five begins.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Who's the kid the Reds were scouting from the Navy, does anyone remember/know?

Blue
06-05-2008, 08:02 PM
There's a story linked here, but the link doesn't work. The blurb says that Cline "hasn't played baseball since he was a sophomore" or something to that effect. Something to keep in mind for why he may have been under the radar.

http://www.njcaa.org/sports.cfm?menu=15&sid=7&cid=6431&divid=1&gender=m&slid=0

Blue
06-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Who's the kid the Reds were scouting from the Navy, does anyone remember/know?

Mitch Harris, RHSP. He would be a good get.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Dang, the Royals draft has been impressive.

Hosmer, Montgomery, Sample, Melville, Lamb

OnBaseMachine
Reds are two picks away.

cincyinco
Mitch Harris, RHSP. He would be a good get.

I think that was it, good call Blue. Thanks!

GoReds33
06-05-2008, 08:06 PM
If he's available, should we try and spend over slot and get Meyer? Is there something I'm missing on this kid?

cincyinco
Reds take Clayton Shunick, NC

NC Reds
I like the Shunick pick.

OnBaseMachine
The Reds take...Clayton Shunick. From NC State.

Blue
at least this guy has a scouting video

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Ugh, BA says he profiles as a middle reliever at best, but does have a split finger pitch thats an out pitch.

NC Reds
06-05-2008, 08:08 PM
82 K's in 76 innings. Not bad. He's skinny so I would expect his power to increase.

GoReds33
06-05-2008, 08:09 PM
6', 7" and only 200 lbs? Now that's skinny.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Shunick has a 2.15 ERA in 95.2 innings with 77 hits allowed and a 23 BB/108 K ratio.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Nieto a good pick for the Nats.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Fastball isn't bad, 88-92 MPH

Ben
06-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Just got home from class, really like the pick of Stewart. The Reds are having a good draft so far IMO.What could make it even better is to go over slot to pick up Meyer!

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Meyer has a firm commitment to Kentucky I believe. That's why he's dropping.

GoReds33
06-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Meyer has a firm commitment to Kentucky I believe. That's why he's dropping.Everybody has a price.

Blue
06-05-2008, 08:17 PM
6', 7" and only 200 lbs? Now that's skinny.

Shunick?

NC Reds
06-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Shunick is 6'1" and 175 I think.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Atlanta gets Jake Thompson...that's a nice pick

GoReds33
06-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Shunick?No, I'm sorry. I had about six windows up on my computer, and one was Shunick, and one was Meyer. I was looking at Meyer by accident.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Still a lot of talent: Meyer, Gray, Grosman, Galloway, Torrez, Palazzone, Putnam, Danks, Lassiter, Mitch Harris of Navy, Mallard

Blue
06-05-2008, 08:21 PM
A lot of these guys you know are falling because they are going to go to college unless they get megabucks. Maybe Chris Dominguez is willing to go back to college for another year?

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Found this little piece on Shunick:
The Wolfpack had 40 minutes to regroup for the second game, and they rose to the occasion with a 2-0 win behind eight dynamite innings from junior righthander Clayton Shunick, whose quality four-pitch mix includes an 88-91 mph fastball that touches 92, a split-finger, changeup and slider.

I found elsewhere Shunick has hit 93 MPH this year as well. Interesting pick.... wonder if they plan to keep him as a starter.

RedlegJake
If I was advising Dominguez I'd tell him to go back. With his tools he has a good chance of improving his numbers a lot and getting a much, much bigger payday next year.

Ben
Whatever became of Blake Stouffer, the Reds 4th rounder last year from Texas Tech who didn't sign? Has he been picked?

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Chris Dominguez to the Rox!