PDA

View Full Version : 2008 MLB Draft Cincinnati Reds Selections

WVRed
06-05-2008, 10:40 AM
As usual, this page is for updating the Reds selections instead of sorting through the draft thread. Any comments about the Reds selections from MLB.com, BP, BA, etc can be found here.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Reds Go Off The Board

Posted Jun. 5, 2008 1:52 pm by John Manuel
Filed under: Draft Day

Not so fast my friend.

Gordon Beckham is NOT going to Cincinnati. The Reds took Yonder Alonso in something of a surprise, but Alonso is a heck of a hitter. He’s short to the ball, quick through the zone and has a polished approach. This really is the first case where a team took a college first baseman and decided he was just too good to ignore, no matter that they have a young first baseman in Joey Votto. But Votto has played left field in the past and some scouts believe he actually could be better defensively in left field. Alonso might be part of a post-Adam Dunn team in Cincinnati and should go off in the Great American Ballpark.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?paged=2

RedsManRick
06-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Alonso was the guy I was hoping they'd pick. People have been complaining about our lack of a pure hitter who won't strike out 120 times a year. Here you go. It will be interesting to see if this has any impacting on an extension for Dunn.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 05:50 PM
7. Cincinnati Reds
Yonder Alonso, 1b, Miami
B-T: L-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 215. Age: 21.

Scouting Report

The most dangerous slugger on one of the nation's top hitting college teams, Alonso has produced consistent offensive numbers for Miami in each of his three years. As a freshman he led the team with 69 RBIs, leading the Hurricanes to the College World Series. As a sophomore, he led the Atlantic Coast Conference with 18 home runs, and finished the season with a .376 batting average. A native of Cuba, Alonso came to America at age 9. He was drafted out of Coral Gables (Fla.) High in the 16th round by the Twins in 2005. Alonso has always hit for average and power, and he is considered one of the most professional hitters in this year's draft. Blessed with superior plate discipline, Alonso has a great strikeout-to-walk ratio and has an advanced approach. He swings lefthanded and has power to all fields, making consistent contact. In the field, Alonso is limited to first base but plays the position well. He is a below-average runner with adequate arm strength, but he should be an above-average defender. Alonso's professionalism and makeup are both strengths as well, making him a safe pick to reach the major leagues.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/2008/266273.html

Cyclone792
06-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Born: April 8, 1987 (just turned 21, that's a plus)

Here's what I could tally up and anybody is more than welcome to fill in the blanks below (UM is Univ. of Miami stats while CC is Cape Cod League stats):

Year PA 2B HR BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
2006 UM 289 18 10 32 37 4 1 .295 .373 .492 .865
2007 UM 288 13 18 64 31 13 3 .376 .519 .705 1.224
2007 CC 12 4 36 .338 .468 .497 .965
2008 UM 267 10 21 69 30 .370 .536 .767 1.303

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Stats can be found here:

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2007-2008/teamcume.html

Alonso in 2008:

.370/.536/.767 - 1.303 OPS

10 doubles, 1 triple, 21 homeruns, 69 BB/30 K

Cyclone792
06-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Stats can be found here:

Alonso in 2008:

Thanks, OBM. I must have been blind when looking. ;)

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I didn't realize he was just a Junior either until today. He's performed both sophomore and junior years against good competition. I'm not doing jumping jacks for joy over Alonso, but I'm certainly not feeling dissapointed either.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Born: April 8, 1987 (just turned 21, that's a plus)

Born four days after one Jay Bruce.

Homer Bailey
06-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Say what you want about the pick, you can't deny that this guy can swing the stick.

Didn't mean for that to rhyme. Those are just ridiculous numbers.

Blue
06-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Stats can be found here:

Alonso in 2008:

The outfielders must have been on strike when he got that triple.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Reds just got a steal with Zach Stewart at number 84. He was considered a first round compensation pick. He's a college reliever from Texas Tech with a 92-96 mph fastball with great sink and a plus slider and average changeup. Great, great pick IMO.

MikeS21
06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Reds just got a steal with Zach Stewart at number 84. He was considered a first round compensation pick. He's a college reliever from Texas Tech with a 92-96 mph fastball with great sink and a plus slider and average changeup. Great, great pick IMO.
The guy is huge pick-up. Can't wait to see him spend a session with Mario Soto and see if he can upgrade his change. I've read he can be filthy at times.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 07:15 PM
MILB.com says Stewart has two plus pitches in the fastball and slider and has a closers mentality.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Baseball America had him ranked 46th overall.

Good pickup.

Rounding Third
06-05-2008, 07:29 PM
The guy is huge pick-up. Can't wait to see him spend a session with Mario Soto and see if he can upgrade his change. I've read he can be filthy at times.

Wow, imagine if Soto can help him along with that change. 3 nasty pitches? Yes please

RedsManRick
06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Goldstein at BP said in chat that he's got a killer sinker, but that's it.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Goldstein at BP said in chat that he's got a killer sinker, but that's it.

I saw a fairly nasty slider in his scouting video.

NorrisHopper30
06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Tyler Cline
RHP
Cass HS

Our 3rd pick 119th overall.

wheels
06-05-2008, 07:43 PM
http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=52597

Well...It's something, anyway.

M2
06-05-2008, 07:48 PM
http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=52597

Well...It's something, anyway.

Wonder if they'll be able to lure him away from his commitment to Middle Georgia College?

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Wonder if they'll be able to lure him away from his commitment to Middle Georgia College?

I have a feeling that they will lol

wheels
06-05-2008, 07:50 PM

With looks like those, he must be pullin' some serious shorties.

Seriously. This is one ugly cuss.

Ya gotta root for a guy like that. David Weathers Jr.

MikeS21
06-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I wonder if they keep him as a pitcher or move him to 3B. It doesn't seem like he is that great of a pitcher.

NorrisHopper30
06-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Says he plays catcher too, he looks too big for a 3b. 6'3 215...ehh doesn't look athletic at all either.

Blitz Dorsey
06-05-2008, 08:24 PM
I love the Zach Stewart pick as well. More than makes up for not having a second-round pick. Stewart was projected even better than a second-rounder (supplemental first as someone already said... No. 46 overall... and we got him all the way at 84... very, very nice).

11larkin11
06-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Andrew Buchholz at 179. RHH SS from U of Delaware. 4 college kids in first 5 picks

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Say what you want about the pick, you can't deny that this guy can swing the stick.

Didn't mean for that to rhyme. Those are just ridiculous numbers.

Pray he continues to swing the stick, because the bottom can fall out from under this pick faster than you can possibly imagine.

At least Stubbs had defense and speed to fall back on when his transition to wood didn't go so well -- this guy has absolutely nothing. And, while you're on the subject, pray that he doesn't get to Ortiz/Pronk levels defensively, because there's no DH for him to fall back to.

I'm going on record -- 06/05/08 -- as despising this pick.

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Pray he continues to swing the stick, because the bottom can fall out from under this pick faster than you can possibly imagine.

At least Stubbs had defense and speed to fall back on when his transition to wood didn't go so well -- this guy has absolutely nothing. And, while you're on the subject, pray that he doesn't get to Ortiz/Pronk levels defensively, because there's no DH for him to fall back to.

I'm going on record -- 06/05/08 -- as despising this pick.

I don't despise it but close, I just cannot see past passing on Beckham.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Aw heck I just have to go on record then as loving this pick. Just to be cantankerous. But also because I really do. I like the Reds entire draft so far although I'm giving the Reds scouts a big, big dose of trust for the Cline pick.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I really like the Reds draft to this point. Alonso is a huge bat with potential to move quickly and Zach Stewart is a steal in the third round. He's got two plus pitches and the ability to move quickly and give the Reds another power bullpen arm along with Cordero, Burton, Roenicke, and now Stewart. Shunick also looks like a fine pick in the fifth round.

Hopefully they can draft a big athlete like Issac Galloway tomorrow.

11larkin11
06-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Ok, we know about Alonso and Stewart. Someone give us some reports and opinions on Cline, Shunick, and Buchholz.

lollipopcurve
06-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I just cannot see past passing on Beckham.

Just as an added reference, Alonso was last summer's #2 prospect in the Cape Cod League, per Baseball America. Beckham, despite hitting the ball quite well, was ranked #12. Beckham is not the shiny athletic stud some are making him out to be. Good ballplayer, no doubt, but he may be more Bobby Crosby than Troy Tulowitzki.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Here's what I found on Buchholz and posted in the draft head:
http://www.hometownannapolis.com/vau...G/06/04-04.HTM

Delaware's Buchholz, Dundalk's Moore prepare for tomorrow's MLB draft
Alex Buchholz was somewhat overlooked as a baseball player coming out of high school. That's probably because the Old Mill High graduate was a three-sport standout who was equally accomplished as a soccer and basketball player.

In fact, Buchholz was a first team All-County selection in all three sports, earning Male Athlete of the Year honors from Capital-Gazette Newspapers.

However, that diversity hurt the Millersville resident's stock in baseball, evidenced by the fact he was not drafted and earned just one Division I scholarship offer.

"I kind of flew under the radar baseball-wise during high school. I never heard from any pro scouts and Delaware is the only big school that really recruited me," Buchholz said.

On the positive side, Buchholz still had plenty of room to grow and develop as a baseball player once he reached the University of Delaware.

"I think when Alex was able to concentrate fully on baseball and compete at a higher level it all really came together for him," Delaware head coach Jim Sherman said.

Sure enough, just three years later, Buchholz is a collegiate All-American and a bona-fide professional prospect, likely to be selected in early rounds of the Major League Baseball Amateur Draft that begins tomorrow afternoon.

"My goal was to get drafted one day and I always knew I could reach that level. I've never had any doubt about my ability," Buchholz said.

Buchholz has enjoyed three terrific seasons at Delaware, being named Colonial Athletic Association Rookie of the Year in 2006 after batting .378 (84-for-222) with 16 doubles, 18 home runs and 64 RBIs. He was named second team All-CAA and the Blue Hens' Most Valuable Player after hitting .387 (92-for-238) with 27 doubles, 11 homers and 63 RBIs.

Buchholz's 92 hits in 2007 was third highest single-season total in program history and he contributed at least one hit in 50 of 55 games. Those numbers made the utility infielder a preseason selection to the Louisville Slugger Preseason All-American squad.

"Alex is a versatile player who has all the intangibles you look for. He does everything well. He runs, throws, fields and hits at a pro level. Plus, he understands the game," Sherman said.

Sherman said Buchholz reminds many professional scouts of veteran infielder Jeff Kent, a 17th-year major leaguer who has served stints with Toronto, New York Mets, Cleveland, San Francisco, Houston and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Buchholz, whose .383 career batting average ranks ninth all-time at Delaware, has worked out for the Phillies, Yankees and Braves. He has heard from just about every Major League team at some point despite a tough senior season that was cut short by a severe shin injury. The junior, who played shortstop, second base and third base for the Blue Hens, hit .319 with 11 doubles, five homers and 54 RBIs in only 163 at-bats.

"If I get drafted relatively highly and get treated fairly, I'll probably sign. I'll wait and see what happens, but I do want to go out," said Buchholz, who has the option of returning for his senior season in Newark, Del.

Veteran Old Mill High baseball coach Mel Montgomery had no doubt Buchholz would ultimately develop into a professional prospect.

"I remember talking to the coach from Delaware and telling him that Alex might be the best athlete I've ever had in 32 years of coaching high school baseball," Montgomery said. "He was just a natural who could pick up any sport and be great. I'm not surprised at all that he's projected as a top prospect."

Buchholz is one of two Anne Arundel County products likely to be taken in this year's draft. Former Chesapeake High and current Dundalk Community College catcher Zack Moore is rated as a 15-30 round prospect, according to various scouts contacted by the Maryland Gazette.

"If the money is right, I'm looking to go pro. That's my dream and I'm ready to give it a shot," Moore said.

He was injured part of his junior year so his stats are down from his first two years probaly the reason he fell to the 6th round. He's a really, really solid 6th round pick, imo.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 09:20 PM
W (IN) (11:53:27 AM PT): Alonso to Reds seems to have surprised many people. One of the comps for him is Tony Perez. Does this kind of history influence teams?

Kevin Goldstein (11:54:35 AM PT): 7. Reds, Yonder Alonso, 1b, Miami

This is your first big surprise and things are messy. Right now the White Sox are dancing on tables in the draft room because they get their guy in the other Beckham. I'm shocked here. To answer Joe's question, the Reds are simply adding what they believe is the most valuable asset to the organization.

Bryan Smith (11:55:19 AM PT): The top Cape prospect finds a home in the top ten, which proves to you college players that it pays to hit with wood when you can. Yonder Alonso is such a talented hitter, though, I think he could hit with a tennis racquet. Alonso has the best approach for any player in this draft, and it's really not close.

Kevin Goldstein (11:55:46 AM PT): KG: Two college 1B in history drafted 7th overall: Matt LaPorta and Frank Thomas -- NICE LIST.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Bryan Smith (11:55:19 AM PT): The top Cape prospect finds a home in the top ten, which proves to you college players that it pays to hit with wood when you can. Yonder Alonso is such a talented hitter, though, I think he could hit with a tennis racquet. Alonso has the best approach for any player in this draft, and it's really not close.

Which just underscores my point -- this kid has to be Superman with a wood bat for this pick to be anything other than a total disappointment.

~.850 - .900 OPS at 1b can be obtained with in-house options (namely Dunn and Votto). This guy has to be better than that. That's a pretty damn tall order.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Draft update -- Reds pick RHP in 3rd, 4th and 5th;
Thursday, June 5, 2008, 08:08 PM EST

It's just before 7, and the third round has started with the Rays taking UC Davis catcher Jacob Jefferies with the 78th overall pick. The Reds pick 84th overall, so the newest Red should be known rather quickly.

Update: The Reds selected RHP Zachary Stewart out of Texas Tech. Stewart was 3-2 with a 4.98 ERA and three saves for the Red Raiders.

Baseball America had him listed as the No. 46 player in the draft and the Reds got him at 84. That's good value. A reliever who has started, Baseball America said "his best pitch is a92-96 mph fastball with filthy sink. Early in the season, he showed a slarp slider that some scouts graded as a plus-plus offering."

Update 2: In the fourth round, the Reds selected RHP Tyler Cline of Cass High School in Cartersville, Ga. Cline is listed as 6-2, 220 pounds.

Update 3: The fifth-round pick is another right-hander, Clayton Shunick out of N.C. State. Shunick was 7-5 with a 2.16 ERA on an N.C. State team that is also in the NCAA Super Regionals. Shunick will start Game 1 of the Wolfpack's NCAA Super Regional in Athens, Ga., against the Georgia Bulldogs.

Update 4: MLB lied to me. They said they'd only do 5, they did 6. The Reds took SS Alex Buchholz of Delaware.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 09:32 PM
FWIW, Kevin Goldstein says Gordon Beckham projects as a Khalil Greene type hitter with Jed Lowrie type defense. If that's the case then I can see why the Reds chose Alonso over Beckham. Either pick is fine with me. Alonso looks like a stud.

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Look I've been wrong before and I'd be happy if Yonder proved me wrong again. One negative about him that I seen was he didn't hit all that well against the good pitcher's, which is par for the course however how big a difference is it. Anyone have the #'s?

I don't dislike Alonso, I dislike the pick when there were players there who were better overall players. If he hits like David Ortiz and fields like Sean Casey (his defensive comp?) I would be more than happy. If he hits like Sean Casey (Projected to hit 25-30 HR's? with avg) and fields like Casey and runs like Casey it's an ok pick but I would bet on Smoak and Beckham being better than that.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2008, 09:34 PM
If he hits like David Ortiz and fields like Sean Casey (his defensive comp?) I would be more than happy. If he hits like Sean Casey (Projected to hit 25-30 HR's? with avg) and fields like Casey and runs like Casey it's an ok pick but I would bet on Smoak and Beckham being better than that.

And, of course, the huge worry that has to be present is that -- as he fills out -- he plays defense like David Ortiz.

At that point, it won't matter who he hits like.

Blue
06-05-2008, 09:50 PM
And, of course, the huge worry that has to be present is that -- as he fills out -- he plays defense like David Ortiz.

... I don't get this. If he fields like David Ortiz, but hits like David Ortiz... he's the same as David Ortiz, and Ortiz has plenty of value, though it would be significantly diminished in the National League. There are 14 teams in the other league who Alonso could do a fine job for if this occurs.

NorrisHopper30
06-05-2008, 09:51 PM
I think everyone has been overrating Beckham's bat, I don't think he'll be much at the plate.

Lockdwn11
06-05-2008, 09:53 PM
... I don't get this. If he fields like David Ortiz, but hits like David Ortiz... he's the same as David Ortiz, and Ortiz has plenty of value, though it would be significantly diminished in the National League. There are 14 teams in the other league who Alonso could do a fine job for if this occurs.

I thought the same thing when I saw that.

Cedric
06-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I felt all along that scouts were trying hard to convince them self that Beckham would stay at SS. Scouts and GM's kill for middle infield talent and sometimes they can be very overrated in the draft. I don't see how Alonso is anywhere close to the gamble that Beckham is. If the Reds scouts thought he wouldn't stay at SS than I have no problem at all with the Alonso pick. If he doesn't last here he will most likely still have huge value to someone else.

Lockdwn11
I think everyone has been overrating Beckham's bat, I don't think he'll be much at the plate.

NorrisHopper, I would be very interested in hearing what makes you think that

Caveat Emperor

If he hits like David Ortiz and fields like David Ortiz then the Reds better hope they can get a David Ortiz return for him in a trade over to the AL -- call me crazy, but I'm never excited when maximizing a player's potential value involves the Reds doing more scouting to try and pry talent away from other teams they could've just drafted themselves in the first place.

If he doesn't hit like David Ortiz and fields like David Ortiz, they're in real trouble.

Worth noting -- David Ortiz was a full time DH by age 24.

Cedric
06-05-2008, 09:58 PM

Alonso isn't really a big guy. I'd be really shocked if he got so big he couldn't play 1b decent enough. Hell, do you remember Sean Casey? If the Mayor can play in the field than anyone can, IMO.

Cedric
06-05-2008, 09:59 PM
If he hits like David Ortiz and fields like David Ortiz then the Reds better hope they can get a David Ortiz return for him in a trade -- call me crazy, but I'm never excited when maximizing a player's potential value involves the Reds doing more scouting to try and pry talent away from other teams they could've just drafted themselves in the first place.

If he doesn't hit like David Ortiz and fields like David Ortiz, they're in real trouble.

I love teams that draft sticks like Alonso and trade for MI talent. Let the other teams do the long, hard work with the tough projections. Deal for them later.

edabbs44
06-05-2008, 10:00 PM
This is why I'm not a subscriber to the BPA theory. It makes sense for some of the time, but sometimes you also have to look at the bigger picture.

If Alonso turns out to be a solid 1st baseman, he replaces one that is already in house. Unless Dunn is definitely gone and they are 100% sure of Votto moving to the OF because they don't believe in his game at first, then I'm not in agreement here.

It would make more sense to me if it was Hosmer. Huge potential, but years away. You should expect a top 10 college bat to be knocking on the Reds' door in the short term.

I would have rather had Crow or Beckham or even Smoak, since he is a switch hitter and gets rave reviews with the mitt.

Best case scenario for the future: a 3-4-5 of L-L-L? Maybe the team just doesn't want a righty bat.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I love teams that draft sticks like Alonso and trade for MI talent. Let the other teams do the long, hard work with the tough projections. Deal for them later.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm still getting used to this notion that the Reds are winning trades. ;)

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2008, 10:04 PM
This is why I'm not a subscriber to the BPA theory. It makes sense for some of the time, but sometimes you also have to look at the bigger picture.

If Alonso turns out to be a solid 1st baseman, he replaces one that is already in house. Unless Dunn is definitely gone and they are 100% sure of Votto moving to the OF because they don't believe in his game at first, then I'm not in agreement here.

It would make more sense to me if it was Hosmer. Huge potential, but years away. You should expect a top 10 college bat to be knocking on the Reds' door in the short term.

I would have rather had Crow or Beckham or even Smoak, since he is a switch hitter and gets rave reviews with the mitt.

Best case scenario for the future: a 3-4-5 of L-L-L? Maybe the team just doesn't want a righty bat.

Yeah and we have to deal one of our RH hitters (EE or Frazier) or Votto. Not ideal for sure.

edabbs44
06-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Uh oh Alonso...RedsZone is gonna eat you alive. :)

Alonso's self scouting report reflects some of the same: "I hit for power. My game right now relies on driving guys in, playing good defense, not striking out. I'm a competitor. I want to win. I don't care if I go 0-for-5 if that sixth at-bat is clutch."

11larkin11
06-05-2008, 10:12 PM

Frazier and Mez say hi.

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Frazier and Mez say hi.

Where does Frazier play?

edabbs44
06-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Frazier and Mez say hi.

Do you expect Frazier and "Mez" to hit btw 3-4-5 in a scenario where Alonso works out as expected? I think that their ceilings won't deserve a middle of the order spot when you have Bruce/Alonso/Votto.

Cedric
06-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Do you expect Frazier and "Mez" to hit btw 3-4-5 in a scenario where Alonso works out as expected? I think that their ceilings won't deserve a middle of the order spot when you have Bruce/Alonso/Votto.

I think Frazier is a solid #2 or #5 as a ceiling. He's got pole to pole power and a great hitting approach. I think he's got a chance to hit in the middle of a Reds lineup. I definitely think his offensive ceiling is higher than Edwin or Phillips.

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I think Frazier is a solid #2 or #5 as a ceiling. He's got pole to pole power and a great hitting approach. I think he's got a chance to hit in the middle of a Reds lineup. I definitely think his offensive ceiling is higher than Edwin or Phillips.

So then you would advocate dealing EE to make room for him? Otherwise he has no where to play with Alonso at 1st and Votto in left.

11larkin11
06-05-2008, 10:23 PM

I have no problem going L-L-L, but I was just pointing out that there are a couple RH bats in the system to look forward to, plus EE and Phillips. My future lineup, FWIW...

Keppinger SS
Votto LF
Bruce RF
Phillips 2B
Alonso 1B
Frazier 3B
Mesoraco C
Stubbs CF

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind batting the pitcher 8th with Stubbs' walking ability for the top of the lineup. Frazier and Mez are more RBI guys than on base guys, IMO.

Edd Roush
06-05-2008, 10:23 PM
The more I think about the Yonder pick, the more I like it. Watch this video and tell me that you still think he has a David Ortiz body type
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKLrzcRz_Qo

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 10:34 PM
So then you would advocate dealing EE to make room for him? Otherwise he has no where to play with Alonso at 1st and Votto in left.

Absolutely in a heartbeat. And I'd deal BP to get Valaika on 2nd when the time comes too.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2008, 10:38 PM
The more I think about the Yonder pick, the more I like it. Watch this video and tell me that you still think he has a David Ortiz body type.

What I learned from this video:

1. The girl interviewing him is hot.

2. He should've burned the tape of him dancing ballet immediately after it was made.

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Absolutely in a heartbeat. And I'd deal BP to get Valaika on 2nd when the time comes too.

Wow really, well IDK if I agree. But I can't say you're wrong for feeling that way at least the EE pick. Valaika though IMO will never be BP good.

SMcGavin
06-05-2008, 10:39 PM
I like the Alonso pick. He's got a bat that is going to move through the system very quickly. Worry about trading from strength when the time comes (e.g. Hamilton for Volquez).

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 10:40 PM

I don't know about that. Valaika is a good prospect but he doesn't profile as a great all around player like Phillips.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 10:57 PM
I don't know about that. Valaika is a good prospect but he doesn't profile as a great all around player like Phillips.

No argument whatever that BP is better - but Valaika will be more than decent as a replacement when BP's next contract comes around. Just my opinion but I don't see BP as one of the must keepers of the future. Unfortunately building a team does require some budgetary decisions unless you're the Red Sox or Yankees -and the gap betwen BP's dollars next contract and Valika's output for a lot less just won't justify the money imo. The nice thing is the Reds should get a decent read on Valaika's ability before they have to cross tha particular bridge.

redhawk61
06-05-2008, 11:11 PM
The more I think about the Yonder pick, the more I like it. Watch this video and tell me that you still think he has a David Ortiz body type

I liked him before the video and I like him more now

crazyredfan40
06-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Alonso and Miami play tomorrow night on ESPN...I think it is like 6:00 or 7...

Clayton Shunick throws tomorrow during the day for N.C. St...I think 1:00...

NorrisHopper30
06-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Alonso and Miami play tomorrow night on ESPN...I think it is like 6:00 or 7...

Clayton Shunick throws tomorrow during the day for N.C. St...I think 1:00...

NC State on TV?

somethingtony
06-06-2008, 12:04 AM
delete

NC Reds
06-06-2008, 12:05 AM
NC State on TV?

ESPN may be regionalizing the coverage. I will have the State game here. I should see a few innings before I have to go back to work. It's at 1pm.

M2
06-06-2008, 12:39 AM

That's not a bad philosophy. Even better yet, get your shortstops in San Pedro de Macoris or Caracas.

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2008, 01:01 AM
As for Zach Stewart in the third round, at first I was thrilled about it because he was ranked so high by BA (No. 48, we got him at No. 84). However, he only played one season of Division I college baseball (two years of JUCO) and his numbers were not very good at all. I know he is a power arm, but his stats his lone season at Texas Tech scare me.

I love the pitcher from N.C. State we got in the fifth round. His numbers are off the charts good.

I also like the SS Buchholz from Delaware in the sixth round. Not sure about the high school pitcher in the fourth round Cline. Looks like he can also play some 3B and is a decent hitter. But he will be a pitcher for the Reds and has a 92-94 fastball. Might have been a reach that high though.

Blue
06-06-2008, 01:07 AM
I'll be interested in seeing what Tyler Cline does once he suits up for GCL.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2008, 02:04 AM
As for Zach Stewart in the third round, at first I was thrilled about it because he was ranked so high by BA (No. 48, we got him at No. 84). However, he only played one season of Division I college baseball (two years of JUCO) and his numbers were not very good at all. I know he is a power arm, but his stats his lone season at Texas Tech scare me.

His stats were fine until Texas Tech moved him into the rotation late in the season and he got rocked which caused his ERA to skyrocket. Plus ERA's in college baseball can be very deceiving with everyone swinging a metal bat and playing in some bandbox ballparks. The Reds drafted him for his stuff. He's got a 92-96 mph fastball with great sink and a plus slider. This was a very good pick IMO.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2008, 02:08 AM
Trent has a couple videos of Chris Buckley talking about the Reds picks:

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

Jpup
06-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Chris Buckley is a creepy dude.

fearofpopvol1
06-06-2008, 03:31 AM
Keith Law's take, from ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2008/news/story?id=3427340

Alonso is the first surprise of the draft. It's a surprise because the Reds weren't linked to him and he's asking for $8 million and a major league deal. He's a left-handed power hitter with a very patient approach, and he should hit for quite a bit of power at Great American Ballpark. What does this mean for Joey Votto?

icehole3
06-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Hopefully guys we can keep this thread the way WVRed intended it to be, an information only thread. If you have opinions make a thread about that player, I like the fact that I can come to this thread and find out crucial important info about each player instead of endless debating which makes this thread 50 pages long, thanks info guys keep up the great work.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

Edd Roush
06-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Chris Buckley is a creepy dude.

Agreed, he may be the most uncomfortable interview ever.

Edd Roush
06-06-2008, 07:53 AM
What I learned from this video:

1. The girl interviewing him is hot.

2. He should've burned the tape of him dancing ballet immediately after it was made.

Agreed on both accounts, looks like Yonder pulls some pretty good tail. But did he look like a young David Ortiz there? I don't think so, I see a Joey Votto body type.

Caveat Emperor
06-06-2008, 07:56 AM
What does this mean for Joey Votto?

Probably nothing other than a move to LF -- if I had to guess, it means a lot more for the continued longevity (or lack thereof) of the Adam Dunn era in Cincinnati.

Heath
06-06-2008, 08:33 AM
So, would Alonso start the year in either Dayton or Sarasota? Stewart will probably head to Billings or Gulf Coast.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Frazier as a September callup next year.

REDSEER
06-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Just noticed that Buchholz is a former teammate of Brandon Menchacha, currently in our system

AdamDunn
06-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I really don't like Alonso. He doesn't look athletic. He's only average at defense, and he wants $8 million.

Kevin Goldstein (11:57:32 AM PT): I like Alonso a lot, but no way, no way at ALL he should go over Smoak. I don't get that at all. Somebody is going to get a steal with Smoak. By the way, Steve Phillips is TOTALLY right here, sign out of high school kids. Way better for your career.

Players I would DEFINALLY have taken over Alonso:
1) Beckham (above average everything and solid defense)
2) Smoak (said to be a great defensive first baseman. Switch hitter who hits to all fields with power)
3) Crow (front of the rotation stuff, despite the mechanics)

I even would have taken Lawrie and Kelly over him, but I know no one agrees with that.

Hondo
06-06-2008, 11:39 AM
I cannot figure out how the Reds did not take Justin Smoak either??? Everyone says the Rangers got a steal here, but if the Reds were wrong about him, then there were atleast 4 other teams after the Reds that passed on him as well... But Geesch, a Switch Hitter with Power???? I just think Smoak would have been a safer pick.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Maybe the Reds just liked Alonso better?

Hondo
06-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Maybe the Reds just liked Alonso better?

I don't "hate" the Alonso pick...

I just kept hearing all about Justin Smoak this, Justin Smoak that... All of a sudden he is still there and the Reds take a guy that was projected to be 8-9-10 in the round and maybe even past that for a guy who was projected 3-4???

I mean, all the experts predicted the Royals taking him at 3, even all the Media in Kansas City projected that... I listen to 610 am and 810 am eveyday, those are the 2 KC Sports Stations... I live in Manhattan, Kansas now by the way...

So alls I am really saying is... I hope someone knows something about Yonder that nobody else new... Cause this better not be another Chad Mottola or Ty Howington selection in front of a Jeter or a Nomar pick like back in the day...

Cyclone792
06-06-2008, 11:52 AM
So, would Alonso start the year in either Dayton or Sarasota? Stewart will probably head to Billings or Gulf Coast.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Frazier as a September callup next year.

I imagine he might start the year off in Dayton, even if he's there for only a few weeks or a month. Since Alonso has experience with a wood bat from the Cape Cod League, I'm not sure it's necessary to send him to Billings first. Also, I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but I've heard that the Reds try to send all their noteworthy prospects up to Dayton for at least a short period of time.

I imagine most of the high round college talent will head to Billings while the high round high school talent will head to the GCL.

flyer85
06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Maybe the Reds just liked Alonso better?that is obvious, I think Alonso is high risk because of lack of speed and athleticism and no chance of playing another position. He may have a bigger upside then most because of his bat but he also carries more risk as well.

BTW, if he is as good a hitter as advertised and they want him on the fast track then send him to Sarasota.

NorrisHopper30
06-06-2008, 11:59 AM
nevermind

AdamDunn
06-06-2008, 12:00 PM
that is obvious, I think Alonso is high risk because of lack of speed and athleticism and no chance of playing another position. He may have a bigger upside then most because of his bat but he also carries more risk as well.

BTW, if he is as good a hitter as advertised and they want him on the fast track then send him to Sarasota.

Most accounts I've read said Smoak had a better bat. I just hope the Reds know what they're doing because I don't. Gold glove fielder with 40 HR power and a switch hitter. Instead they got an average first baseman which I heard only has 30 HR potential. As of this point, I'm not sold at all.

flyer85
06-06-2008, 12:04 PM
As of this point, I'm not sold at all.The answer had to be that they believe he is going to be such a good hitter it will outweigh the negatives. They had better get him signed on on the fast track like Zimmerman and Gordon a few years back.

Joseph
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
The answer had to be that they believe he is going to be such a good hitter it will outweigh the negatives. They had better get him signed on on the fast track like Zimmerman and Gordon a few years back.

I think thats the only reason to draft him.

I also disagree with that decision.

REDblooded
06-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Why did Melville slip so far?

dougdirt
06-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Why did Melville slip so far?

He told people he wanted 15-20 money and no one bit. Lets see if he signs and how much for.

Caveat Emperor
06-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I think thats the only reason to draft him.

I also disagree with that decision.

See: Wagner, Ryan.

I only hope the Alonso / Smoak decision didn't come down to "who is currently more advanced" -- that's a terrible way to run a franchise.

AdamDunn
06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
See: Wagner, Ryan.

I only hope the Alonso / Smoak decision didn't come down to "who is currently more advanced" -- that's a terrible way to run a franchise.

What does Ryan Wagner have anything to do with this?

Caveat Emperor
06-06-2008, 01:08 PM
What does Ryan Wagner have anything to do with this?

I was referring mostly to the decision to draft a player based on him being on a fast track to the bigs.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2008, 01:19 PM
The first name in the ninth round that grabs attention is the Reds’ pick at 269, selecting Coastal Carolina outfielder David Sappelt. The conference player of the year as a sophomore, Sappelt is an athletic center fielder with speed and pop in the bat. Sappelt is the leadoff hitter for a Chanticleer offense that is headed to the NCAA Super Regionals this weekend against North Carolina.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/

NJReds
06-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Reds took a guy from my neck of the woods in the 15th round:

Don Bosco's phenom
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
MARK J. CZERWINSKISTAFF WRITER

RAMSEY — Eric Pfisterer's eyes are the window to a pitcher's soul.

"He gets this look in his eye," said Don Bosco pitching coach Frank Eufemia. "It's hard to explain. He doesn't care who's up there, he just wants to get you out.

"I always use the term with my pitchers, 'eye of the tiger' and he epitomizes what that phrase means. It's an intensity. A focus. He literally pitches angry, but he's able to channel that anger positively. I know it sounds corny, but he does it."

Focus. Anger. Intensity.

Call it what you will, but so far this season it has worked wonders for Bosco's senior left-hander from Saddle River. In three starts, Pfisterer has thrown two no-hitters and a one-hitter, striking out 32 and walking four in 16 innings.

"Angry?" Pfisterer asked. "I guess that's one way to put it. I do pump myself up a little out there. I'm loose, but I do have a little fire in my eye.

"When I'm out there, it is just me and the batter. It is being focused. I might fool around until I step on that field, but when I need to be ready, I'm there."

That sounds a little like someone who has spent years developing a philosophy of pitching, but the truth is Pfisterer is still a relative newcomer to the pitching fraternity. His father is a doctor who has dealt with a lot of sore young arms in his day, and Pfisterer didn't become a regular pitcher until last season.

Pfisterer is also a first baseman, and his bat and glove mean as much to the Ironmen (10-0), ranked No. 1 in The Record Top 25, as his arm. He has 21 hits in his first 32 at-bats (.636 average) with four doubles, a triple, a home run and a team-high 19 RBI.

So is it any surprise that he wanted assurances that he could pitch and play first base before he accepted his scholarship to Duke?

"I have the best of both worlds," said Pfisterer, who is considering majoring in business or economics. "To me, pitching and hitting go hand in hand. I've been a hitter all my life, and I know how a hitter thinks. When I'm pitching, I use that to my advantage."

"He is the whole package," said Bosco coach Greg Butler, who raved about two double plays he started with slick stops at first base against Cranford.

Teaneck coach Ed Klimek saw that firsthand Monday as Pfisterer no-hit the Highwaymen.

"He is an absolute stud," Klimek said. "As the game went on and he started to smell that no-hitter, he began to throw the ball harder.

"He does get mad out there. Hit the ball, and he gets mad. I had one kid, a little lefty come up. He pitched him inside, and the hitter jumped away like he was facing Randy Johnson."

Professional scouts have been regulars at Bosco games, checking out all the Division I talent. Pfisterer is firmly planted on their radar now, and he's already heard from the Yankees, Florida, Cincinnati and Cleveland.

Pfisterer said the Indians' scout called him after Monday's no-hitter against Teaneck, and some teams are scheduled to visit his home.

"I talked to one scout who said I was making his job tougher because he has to file two reports on me; one as a hitter and one as a pitcher," Pfisterer said with a laugh. "The Indians' guy told me that I barely make out and strike everybody out. He was very complimentary about my ability as both a hitter and a pitcher.

"It's nice that they appreciate me, not just as a hitter and not just as a pitcher," Pfisterer said. "I think they see me as an overall athlete."

With a father who is a doctor and three older siblings in medical school, Pfisterer knows the value of that scholarship to Duke. He's impressed by all the attention from the scouts, but he's not about to let his head get lost in the clouds.

"Isn't that any kid's ultimate dream?" said Pfisterer, whose fastball has been clocked in the low-90's. "Just being drafted as an option or even just being able to talk about it is a real pat on the back and recognition of all your hard work.

"But I also have a scholarship to a great academic school. My family has always been about academics, and Duke seems to me to be the perfect fit. If I pass up that diploma, it would have to be for something perfect."

11larkin11
06-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Here's my scouting report on Shunick from watching him on ESPN:

He's nasty.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Here's my scouting report on Shunick from watching him on ESPN:

He's nasty.

Yep. He looks like a great pick in the 5th round.

REDblooded
06-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Not sure why nobody posted these, but they're the advanced reports from MILB.com... also, I like the Alonso pick, but now I know why it happened over Smoak.. Baseclogging.

Alonso - http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/reports_popup.jsp?popup=yes&content=alonso

Stewart - http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/reports_popup.jsp?popup=yes&content=stewart

Degenerate39
06-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Can someone post a list of all the Reds draft picks?

dougdirt
06-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Can someone post a list of all the Reds draft picks?

Round Overall Player Position School State
1 7 Yonder Alonso 1B Miami Fla.
3 84 Zachary Stewart RHP Texas Tech Texas
4 119 Tyler Cline RHP Cass HS, Cartersville, Ga. Ga.
5 149 Clayton Shunick RHP North Carolina State Ga.
6 179 Alex Buchholz 2B Delaware Del.
7 209 Pedro Villareal RHP Howard (Texas) JC Texas
8 239 Cody Puckett SS Cal State Dominguez Hills Calif.
9 269 David Sappelt OF Coastal Carolina S.C.
10 299 Sean Conner OF Palm Beach (Fla.) CC Fla.
11 329 Andrew Means OF Indiana Ind.
12 359 Kyle Day C Michigan State Mich.
13 389 Blaine Howell LHP Pensacola (Fla.) JC Fla.
14 419 Lance Janke RHP San Diego Christian College Calif.
15 449 Eric Pfisterer LHP Don Bosco Prep HS, Ramsey, N.J. N.J.
16 479 Daniel Morrison OF Clayton Heights SS, Surrey, B.C. British Columbia
17 509 Frank Pfister 3B Emory (Ga.) Ga.
18 539 Chris McMurray C UC Santa Barbara Calif.
19 569 Mace Thurman LHP Baylor Texas
20 599 Tyler Stovall OF Central Michigan Mich.
21 629 Theodis Bowe OF Milford (Del.) HS Del.
22 659 Byron Wiley OF Kansas State Kan.
23 689 Will Hudgens RHP Memphis Tenn.
24 719 Enrique Garcia RHP Miami Fla.
25 749 Raul Rodriguez RHP Simi Valley (Calif.) HS Calif.
26 779 Michael Bohana RHP Kennesaw State (Ga.) Ga.
27 809 Matthew Stiffler OF Ohio Ohio
28 839 Bryce Bandilla LHP Bella Vista HS, Fair Oaks, Calif. Calif.
29 869 Ben Hunter RHP Wake Forest N.C.
30 899 Juan Carlos Sulbaran RHP American Heritage HS, Plantation, Fla. Fla.
31 929 Joey Housey RHP Nova HS, Davie, Fla. Fla.
32 959 Justin Freeman RHP Kennesaw State (Ga.) Ga.
33 989 Taylor Wrenn 2B Lakeland (Fla.) HS Fla.
34 1019 Bryan Gardner LHP Ithaca (N.Y.) N.Y.
35 1049 Matthew Fairel LHP Florida State Fla.
36 1079 Erik Gregersen RHP Stephen F. Austin State Texas
37 1109 Randall Linebaugh RHP Baylor Texas
38 1139 Richard Bowen RHP Mississippi State Miss.
39 1169 Michael Konstanty 1B Albany N.Y.
40 1199 David Peterson RHP Los Lomas (Calif.) HS Calif.
41 1229 Justin Walker LHP Lamar Texas
42 1259 Benson Merritt rhp South Lincoln HS, Smithville, Ontario N/A
43 1289 Bronson Gagner RHP Parkview HS, Lilburn, Ga. Ga.
44 1319 Kevin Coddington C Illinois-Chicago Ill.
45 1348 Brendan Lobban LHP/1B St. Joes Montvale N.J.
46 1376 Jackson Hogue CF Mississippi State Miss.
47 1403 David Torcise LHP South Florida Fla.
48 1430 Kenneth Monteith RHP Morristown-Beard HS, Morristown, N.J. N.J.
49 1457 Patrick White OF W.V.
50 1484 Kevin Leslie OF/2B Redan Ga.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Need some help. I'm looking for the page on MLB.com where you can sort, such as if you want to see just kids drafted from certain schools (ex. Miami and Arizona - on ESPN right now).

That page is nowhere to be found. At least it doesn't seem to be anywhere on their draft page.

Degenerate39
06-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Is the Pat White the Reds drafted the same Pat White that's QB for WVU?

dougdirt
06-06-2008, 09:42 PM
yes he is

MikeS21
06-06-2008, 10:39 PM
The way I see it, Yonder Alonso is the prototypical Billy Beane pick: a college player with high OBS, average defense, terrible looking baseball body.

NorrisHopper30
06-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Doug, does anything look weird with Joseph Housey's (our last pick) release, he does something funky with his back..
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/drafttracker.jsp?p=0&s=30&sc=pick_number&so=ascending&st=number&ft=TM&fv=cin
Watch the video.

edabbs44
06-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Here's an article on some local draft picks, including 2 for Cincy from the same HS league in Jersey. See the link for a pick of the DBP pitcher.

6 locals selected in day 2 of baseball draft
Friday, June 6, 2008
Last updated: Friday June 6, 2008, EDT 9:53 PMBY
TIM LEONARD STAFF WRITER

Pitchers Eric Pfisterer and Mike Dennhardt were given new nicknames Friday, as Don Bosco practiced for today’s State Non-Public A championship game.

The Ironmen were calling Pfisterer “Red” and Dennhardt “Mariner.” Not long after practice, third baseman Steve Proscia could have been called “Twin.”

The three Don Bosco seniors were among six North Jersey players selected on the second day of baseball’s first-year player draft.

Pfisterer was chosen in the 15th round, 449th overall, by Cincinnati. Dennhardt was picked by Seattle in the 17th round, 522nd overall. Proscia was tabbed in the 39th round, 1,176th overall by Minnesota.

“Obviously, it’s an accomplishment to come out of Don Bosco with three kids getting drafted and two pitchers in top 20 rounds,” Dennhardt said. “Seeing them today was awesome. We all were congratulating each other.”

St. Joseph graduate Steve Caseras was the first North Jersey product selected on the second day of the 50-round draft, going in the ninth round, 227th overall, to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Caseres, a redshirt sophomore, had a breakout season for James Madison University, batting .342 with 21 home runs and 70 RBI. He also had 20 doubles, making him the first player in the school’s history to hit 20 doubles and 20 homers in the same season.

The Dodgers considered picking Caseres in the sixth round, but he rejected their bonus offer. Caseres, who was looking to sign for $300,000, previously said no to the Yankees when they showed interest in drafting him in the fifth round.

Major League Baseball has a slotting system for signing bonuses based on where a player is selected and the amount in the fifth round would have been $158,000, Caseres said.

“They called and said ‘We’re thinking about taking you in the fifth round, but you have to take slot money. Would you sign for $158,000?’ I said ‘No.’ It wasn’t what I asked for. I had to stick with what I said,” Caseres said.

“I’m just excited that the stress of the draft is over now. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll just go back and play in school.”

The Reds and Twins each turned to North Jersey for late-round selections. Minnesota picked Fair Lawn graduate Pat Lehman in the 41st round, 1,236th overall.

Lehman, a junior right-hander, went 6-5 with a 5.28 ERA in 17 games for George Washington University. He had team-high 82 strikeouts in 92 innings. Cincinnati chose St. Joseph left-hander Brendan Lobban in the 45th round with the 1,348th pick. Lobban has committed to attend St. John’s.

The Don Bosco players will have decisions to make based on the offers they receive in the coming weeks. All three have scholarships to Atlantic Coast Conference schools. Pfisterer has committed to Duke, Dennhardt to Boston College and Proscia to Virginia.

“I don’t know if I’m leaning either way. This gives me options. As of right now, we have a State championship on the line,” said Pfisterer, who is 15-0 in two seasons as a pitcher.

“I have until Aug. 15. That’s the cutoff date for signing. Right now, I’m just trying to take in the idea of getting drafted, as opposed to thinking about money. I’m just trying to soak everything in.”

E-mail: leonard@northjersey.com

http://www.northjersey.com/hssports/6_locals_selected_in_day_2_of_baseball_draft.html

edabbs44
06-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Male Athlete of the Week: Brendan Lobban, St. JosephTuesday, May 6, 2008
Last updated: Tuesday May 6, 2008, EDT 7:15 AMBY MARK J. CZERWINSKISTAFF WRITER

Brendan Lobban has learned how to keep a level head.

The St. Joseph senior left-hander is impressed by all the professional baseball scouts that have been buzzing around him this spring, but he's keeping his excitement on a short leash. That's because Lobban already is very excited about his future, which includes a scholarship to St. John's University.

"Of course pro ball has been a dream," said Lobban, who earned The Record's Male Athlete of the Week honor after leading the Green Knights to four wins with both his bat and his arm. "Every kid wants to play pro baseball.

"Talking to the scouts, hearing them say playing professional baseball is a possibility is nice, but we'll see. It is cool, though, to think you can see your dreams come true."

Cincinnati, Boston, Anaheim and the Yankees are among the teams who have shown some interest in Lobban.

"But I'm not sure what's next," Lobban said. "I can get picked. I can not get picked. Right now, my heart is set on college."

And when the Ramsey native gets to St. John's, he plans on studying business.

"I want to make a career for myself someday," said Lobban, who enjoys his "Law and Society" class. "I want to go into the corporate world and see what happens.

"But who knows? I'm still only 18. Maybe I'd like to do police week or get involved in government. There's plenty of time to think about that."

Since giving up basketball and cross-country a few years ago, Lobban has been on a steady diet of school work and baseball. He said he devotes about three or four hours a day to baseball during the school year, and it never gets old.

"I've been playing baseball since I was little," said Lobban. "It comes natural to me, which is why I'll always want to find a way to keep up with the game."

http://www.northjersey.com/hssports/aow/Male_Athlete_of_the_Week_Brendan_Lobban_St_Joseph. html

redhawk61
06-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Doug, does anything look weird with Joseph Housey's (our last pick) release, he does something funky with his back..
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/drafttracker.jsp?p=0&s=30&sc=pick_number&so=ascending&st=number&ft=TM&fv=cin
Watch the video.

I don't see anything wrong with his back.

as a side note he isn't the last pick, there is a whole other page

Blue
06-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Need some help. I'm looking for the page on MLB.com where you can sort, such as if you want to see just kids drafted from certain schools (ex. Miami and Arizona - on ESPN right now).

That page is nowhere to be found. At least it doesn't seem to be anywhere on their draft page.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/drafttracker.jsp

WVRed
06-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Is the Pat White the Reds drafted the same Pat White that's QB for WVU?

Yep, and to be honest, it is probably a punted pick.

White obviously isn't going to play for the Reds and still has his senior season in Morgantown. He will likely go into next years draft.

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Round Overall Player Position School State
1 7 Yonder Alonso 1B Miami Fla.
3 84 Zachary Stewart RHP Texas Tech Texas
4 119 Tyler Cline RHP Cass HS, Cartersville, Ga. Ga.
5 149 Clayton Shunick RHP North Carolina State Ga.
6 179 Alex Buchholz 2B Delaware Del.
7 209 Pedro Villareal RHP Howard (Texas) JC Texas
8 239 Cody Puckett SS Cal State Dominguez Hills Calif.
9 269 David Sappelt OF Coastal Carolina S.C.
10 299 Sean Conner OF Palm Beach (Fla.) CC Fla.
11 329 Andrew Means OF Indiana Ind.
12 359 Kyle Day C Michigan State Mich.
13 389 Blaine Howell LHP Pensacola (Fla.) JC Fla.
14 419 Lance Janke RHP San Diego Christian College Calif.
15 449 Eric Pfisterer LHP Don Bosco Prep HS, Ramsey, N.J. N.J.
16 479 Daniel Morrison OF Clayton Heights SS, Surrey, B.C. British Columbia
17 509 Frank Pfister 3B Emory (Ga.) Ga.
18 539 Chris McMurray C UC Santa Barbara Calif.
19 569 Mace Thurman LHP Baylor Texas
20 599 Tyler Stovall OF Central Michigan Mich.
21 629 Theodis Bowe OF Milford (Del.) HS Del.
22 659 Byron Wiley OF Kansas State Kan.
23 689 Will Hudgens RHP Memphis Tenn.
24 719 Enrique Garcia RHP Miami Fla.
25 749 Raul Rodriguez RHP Simi Valley (Calif.) HS Calif.
26 779 Michael Bohana RHP Kennesaw State (Ga.) Ga.
27 809 Matthew Stiffler OF Ohio Ohio
28 839 Bryce Bandilla LHP Bella Vista HS, Fair Oaks, Calif. Calif.
29 869 Ben Hunter RHP Wake Forest N.C.
30 899 Juan Carlos Sulbaran RHP American Heritage HS, Plantation, Fla. Fla.
31 929 Joey Housey RHP Nova HS, Davie, Fla. Fla.
32 959 Justin Freeman RHP Kennesaw State (Ga.) Ga.
33 989 Taylor Wrenn 2B Lakeland (Fla.) HS Fla.
34 1019 Bryan Gardner LHP Ithaca (N.Y.) N.Y.
35 1049 Matthew Fairel LHP Florida State Fla.
36 1079 Erik Gregersen RHP Stephen F. Austin State Texas
37 1109 Randall Linebaugh RHP Baylor Texas
38 1139 Richard Bowen RHP Mississippi State Miss.
39 1169 Michael Konstanty 1B Albany N.Y.
40 1199 David Peterson RHP Los Lomas (Calif.) HS Calif.
41 1229 Justin Walker LHP Lamar Texas
42 1259 Benson Merritt rhp South Lincoln HS, Smithville, Ontario N/A
43 1289 Bronson Gagner RHP Parkview HS, Lilburn, Ga. Ga.
44 1319 Kevin Coddington C Illinois-Chicago Ill.
45 1348 Brendan Lobban LHP/1B St. Joes Montvale N.J.
46 1376 Jackson Hogue CF Mississippi State Miss.
47 1403 David Torcise LHP South Florida Fla.
48 1430 Kenneth Monteith RHP Morristown-Beard HS, Morristown, N.J. N.J.
49 1457 Patrick White OF W.V.
50 1484 Kevin Leslie OF/2B Redan Ga.

I love stocking up on pitchers like that late. Nicely done Redlegs brass.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Reds go for pitching on Draft's Day 2
Right-handed arms a big draw for Cincinnati in late rounds
By Brandon Harris / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Reds continued their trend of taking right-handed pitchers and players from the collegiate ranks on Day 2 of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft.

Of Cincinnati's 44 second-day selections, 18 were right-handed pitchers, bringing the Reds' two-day total to 21. They selected right-handed pitchers with their third-, fourth- and fifth-round picks on Thursday.

"The depth of any Draft is right-handed pitching," said Chris Buckley, the Reds' senior director of scouting. "We just want the best players."

The Reds chose four consecutive right-handed pitchers twice, first from rounds 23-26 and again in rounds 29-32. Add to that nine left-handed pitchers, and 30 of the Reds' 49 picks in the Draft were pitchers. The club selected 31 pitchers last year.

The 36 collegiate players drafted marked the most under Buckley, who has shown a tendency in his two previous Drafts to drift toward college players. In 2006, 34 of the 50 picks were from colleges, and 32 of the 50 in '07.

The only third baseman taken was Emory University's Frank Pfister, who was selected in the 17th round. Taylor Wren, a 33rd-round pick from Lakeland (Fla.) Senior High School, was the only second baseman taken.

After taking first baseman Yonder Alonso with the No. 7 overall pick, Cincinnati took just one other first baseman in the University of Albany's Michael Konstanty -- a 39th-round selection.

The Reds chose one local commodity in Tyler Stovall, a right fielder from Central Michigan University. Stovall, a 20th-round selection, attended Moeller High before Central Michigan, where he just finished his junior year.

Cincinnati also selected West Virginia quarterback and former Heisman Trophy candidate Pat White in the 49th round. White was a fourth-round selection in 2004 by the Angels, but he chose to pursue football instead.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080606&content_id=2856309&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

icehole3
06-07-2008, 10:32 AM
from round 23 to 43 the Reds took 18 pitchers? Wow I love it.

Red Leader
06-07-2008, 10:25 PM
I admit that I haven't had much time to prep for this year's draft, but I like the Alonso pick. Kid has a nice advanced bat and a good eye at the plate. He's also proven he can hit with a wood bat. I think it's obvious that Adam Dunn will not be a Red past this year and that Joey Votto will be moving to LF. That opens up a spot for Alonso, although I doubt he'll be ready to start Opening Day next year. Still, I think it was a good pick. I definitely see what the Reds liked in him.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2008, 10:53 PM
I admit that I haven't had much time to prep for this year's draft, but I like the Alonso pick. Kid has a nice advanced bat and a good eye at the plate. He's also proven he can hit with a wood bat. I think it's obvious that Adam Dunn will not be a Red past this year and that Joey Votto will be moving to LF. That opens up a spot for Alonso, although I doubt he'll be ready to start Opening Day next year. Still, I think it was a good pick. I definitely see what the Reds liked in him.

Who is this stranger?

Red Leader
06-07-2008, 11:03 PM
What's up OBM. I heard on the news the other night that the Reds picked Alonso with their 1st pick in the draft. I didn't even know the draft was taking place. Man, what a difference a year makes. So out of tune with baseball these days. It's sad, really. I've been busy watching two of my kids play ball this year (one's playing 9U select and the other just started t-ball). They've been keeping me busy. I had to stop by and visit to check out the draft threads and see who was picked. Hope all is going well with all of you. I miss this place.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2008, 11:06 PM
What's up OBM. I heard on the news the other night that the Reds picked Alonso with their 1st pick in the draft. I didn't even know the draft was taking place. Man, what a difference a year makes. So out of tune with baseball these days. It's sad, really. I've been busy watching two of my kids play ball this year (one's playing 9U select and the other just started t-ball). They've been keeping me busy. I had to stop by and visit to check out the draft threads and see who was picked. Hope all is going well with all of you. I miss this place.

It's good to see ya around again. I was asking about ya a couple months back and someone mentioned you were pretty busy these days. Nice to see you around again.:)

Gallen5862
06-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Does anyone have a list of What reds draft picks have signed? Has any undrafted players signed with the Reds? I hope the Reds can sign undrafted 1B Ryan Pond from NC State. He had nice numbers and as a Senior was disapointed he was not drafted. He wants to sign a contract. In watching him play during a couple of games in the Super regional he looked like a solid defender and hitter. Does anyone know anything about him?