PDA

View Full Version : Lesbian couple almost ejected from Mariners game

robmadden1
06-05-2008, 12:56 PM
SEATTLE -- A local lesbian couple says a peck on the lips nearly got the two of them tossed out of a Mariners game.

The women said in an arena where even chanting and screaming are allowed, they were singled out by a security guard simply because they kissed each other.

Sirbrina Guerrero says she only gave her date a peck, but a mother sitting with her son complained to security and, as a result, they were told to stop or leave.

"And he (the guest services agent) goes 'there's a lady whose son says he saw you guys making out, and I did, too. And you have to stop.' And I said 'well, we weren't making out, but we were kissing and I'm not going to stop,'" said Guerrero.

Guerrero says the only reason she was called out was because of her sexual orientation.

"(The guest services agent said) the mom doesn't want to explain to the kids why two girls are kissing. So I said 'well, I'm not going to stop, so you'll have to kick me out. So he said 'so I suggest you leave then,"' she said.

Safeco Field officials refused to comment on the incident. However, officials did send KOMO News a copy of the field's code of conduct which states "displays of affection are not appropriate in a public family setting."

But Guerrero and her friends don't buy it. After Guerrero was flagged at the game, they took pictures of other couples who kissed but were not reprimanded. Those couples, they said, were heterosexual.

Guerrero's friend Melissa Benavites, who was also at the game, said Guerrero did not lash out inappropriately at the security guard. She also said her friend's reaction was not overly sensitive.

"No, no. Not too sensitive about a situation like this. I mean, it could have been handled in another way," she said.

When asked whether she and her date were acting lewd in any way that would have prompted such a firm response from the security guard, Guerrero said, "We were eating garlic fries. The last thing we wanted to do was make out with each other. Honestly, that's what it was."

Stadium officials are questioning all staff members involved. They refused to discuss details, but did say their employees would never target same-sex couples.

According to MTV's web site, Guerrero was also a contestant on the network's reality TV show "A Shot At Love 2 With Tila Tequila."

http://www.komonews.com/news/19346754.html

redsfan1966
06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
The only question I would have is does Safeco have the omni-present "Kiss Cam" like at GABP and other venues....if so, Safeco Field officials should apologize profusely to this couple--you CANT have it both ways--if you want no displays of public affection---get rid of the Kiss Cam...

Ahhhorsepoo
06-05-2008, 01:07 PM
who cares? I am too tall for the seats and leg room should I demand an apology.. people need to deal with stupidity in that sake.. and in my sake I need to deal with being too tall.. but do I whine about it.. no..

I agree what the usher said might have been out of line.. but come on.. some religions are far against that.. and so then they do have to explain it to their kids.. some religions are also against killing, drinking and such.. and when they see it they have to explain it to their kids.. but seriously.. if someone asked nicely while I was at a ballpark kissing my girlfriend that it was distracting them.. I would stop.. sorry but people can just be courteous and do things to make others comfortable, not like they wanted them to become straight and get married to a guy.. they just wanted less PDA than was being displayed.. all this world is any more is an apology for trying to help out everyone and not being exclusive to each persons needs.. kinda getting rediculous..

wvu-red-fan
06-05-2008, 01:27 PM
We are missing the real question here. Are they hot?
This article is useless without pictures.

BurgervilleBuck
06-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Oddly conservative for the pacific northwest.

This is a non-issue and probably doesn't really belong in a baseball forum.

Cicero
06-05-2008, 03:00 PM

That's what I was wondering. If they are Woody Paige look alikes no thanks.

SultanOfSwing
06-05-2008, 03:41 PM
http://media.komonews.com/images/080528_Sabrina_Guerrero.jpg

Roy Tucker
06-05-2008, 08:14 PM
At GABP a ways back, I was sitting next to a good-looking guy and girl.

At Kiss Cam time, the camera rolled around to them and they started making faces and waving their arms and refused to kiss. The crowd booed.

A few minutes later, I asked the guy what the deal was. He said that's my sister.

Oh, I see.

redsfan1966
06-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Sabrina is cute...

Highlifeman21
06-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Sabrina is cute...

:thumbup:

However, what does Sabrina's gf look like?

KronoRed
06-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Sounds like the complaining mother went a bit over the top, a peck is a peck, making out should be grounds to kick any sort of couple out of a game though.

TeamSelig
06-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Actually, I read another article that included "making out and groping" which is probably the real story.

"Groping" is too far, straight or homo (IMO)

KittyDuran
06-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Sounds like the complaining mother went a bit over the top, a peck is a peck, making out should be grounds to kick any sort of couple out of a game though.True, tho' I've seen hetero couples that needed a bucket of cold water poured on them at GABP but no one complains... most where either taking pics or video on their cell phones...;)

The Baumer
06-05-2008, 11:37 PM
who cares? I am too tall for the seats and leg room should I demand an apology.. people need to deal with stupidity in that sake.. and in my sake I need to deal with being too tall.. but do I whine about it.. no..

Holy cow. This post is amazing, in an unintentionally hilarious way.

Seriously! The talls & the gays! One of them has learned to deal with it, why hasn't the other?

"Please don't take my grandmother's comments about tall people to heart. She is a very sweet woman, she was just raised in a different era."

Seriously. I am crying laughing right now.

Thank you!

:laugh:

TeamSelig
06-06-2008, 12:43 PM
At GABP a ways back, I was sitting next to a good-looking guy and girl.

At Kiss Cam time, the camera rolled around to them and they started making faces and waving their arms and refused to kiss. The crowd booed.

A few minutes later, I asked the guy what the deal was. He said that's my sister.

Oh, I see.

LOL that's awesome

RBA
06-06-2008, 12:58 PM

Exactly, why is the mother of a kid whining about something so stupid?

I agree what the usher said might have been out of line.. but come on.. some religions are far against that.. and so then they do have to explain it to their kids.. some religions are also against killing, drinking and such.. and when they see it they have to explain it to their kids..
I guess that's the burden of their religion than. But how is killing related to two people kissing?

but seriously.. if someone asked nicely while I was at a ballpark kissing my girlfriend that it was distracting them.. I would stop..

How many times have you been asked?

sorry but people can just be courteous and do things to make others comfortable, not like they wanted them to become straight and get married to a guy..
Yeah, the mother and kid can just watch the game instead of staring at two people kissing.

they just wanted less PDA than was being displayed.. all this world is any more is an apology for trying to help out everyone and not being exclusive to each persons needs.. kinda getting rediculous..

We agree again. People shouldn't stop showing affection just to accomodate some person's exclusive religion needs. It is getting rediculous.

justincredible
06-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Exactly, why is the mother of a kid whining about something so stupid?

I guess that's the burden of their religion than. But how is killing related to two people kissing?

How many times have you been asked?

Yeah, the mother and kid can just watch the game instead of staring at two people kissing.

We agree again. People shouldn't stop showing affection just to accomodate some person's exclusive religion needs. It is getting rediculous.

Great post. I agree with you 100%.

Red in Chicago
06-06-2008, 01:55 PM
would everyone be so forgiving if this were two men?

NJReds
06-06-2008, 02:25 PM
According to MTV's web site, Guerrero was also a contestant on the network's reality TV show "A Shot At Love 2 With Tila Tequila."

Publicity stunt?

vaticanplum
06-06-2008, 02:36 PM

Do you see a lot of "forgiveness" here? I see a fair amount of prejudice and objectification of women. Don't confuse the latter with forgiveness.

And even the word "forgiveness" automatically implies that they have done something wrong.

westofyou
06-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Do you see a lot of "forgiveness" here? I see a fair amount of prejudice and objectification of women. Don't confuse the latter with forgiveness.

BINGO

We have a winner here.

CrackerJack
06-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes I agree with Vatican, thank you. Sounds like Mo Egger's 1530 blog here otherwise (frat guy, bad beer heaven).

And maybe that is why you won't see people doing that here at Insurance Ballpark, they'd probably be burned at the stake after the game, after their children's eyes melt from seeing "the act."

George Anderson
06-06-2008, 02:45 PM
And maybe that is why you won't see people doing that here at Insurance Ballpark, they'd probably be burned at the stake after the game, after their children's eyes melt.

Well I certainly wouldn't burn anyone at the stake but if two people of the same sex wanna do something that I find offensive in front of my family then trust me I will say something about it.

Chip R
06-06-2008, 02:49 PM
And maybe that is why you won't see people doing that here at Insurance Ballpark, they'd probably be burned at the stake after the game, after their children's eyes melt from seeing "the act."

Funny you mentioned that. On Opening Day they did the customary Kiss-Cam. One of the last couples they showed were 2 Arizona players sitting in the dugout. Everybody laughed and thought that wss pretty funny.

NJReds
06-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Not sure why this turned into a religion bashing thread since it's not mentioned in the article.

Call me a skeptic, but the media response to this by the person who was tossed seems a bit too organized for my taste. I thought that before I saw she was on an MTV show. Now I'm sure we'll be seeing her on the Today Show, Good Morning America and Oprah as she grabs her 15 minutes of fame.

Chip R
06-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Call me a skeptic, but the media response to this by the person who was tossed seems a bit too organized for my taste. I thought that before I saw she was on an MTV show. Now I'm sure we'll be seeing her on the Today Show, Good Morning America and Oprah as she grabs her 15 minutes of fame.

That's the way it goes. She'll have her 15 minutes and we won't have to worry about it anymore. I think there are about a million bigger things to worry about than this.

Danny Serafini
06-06-2008, 03:19 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if the mother who complained was actually a friend of hers helping get her some pub.

The Baumer
06-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah, gays are crafty like that. They set up elaborate scenarios so they can complain and make it seem like honest, red-blooded Americans are to blame for the way they are treated. I bet the newspapers don't even really want to publish these stories, but then a gay comes in and says "I'm your new editor in chief, we're taking over the world" and makes them publish it. You never know what they're truly capable of. That's why when they come walking around you turn your shop sign to closed and point to the rusty old water fountain at the end of the street; that one's for the gays.

Sigh. If only there were ushers for every situation in life.

GAC
06-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Not sure why this turned into a religion bashing thread since it's not mentioned in the article.

Exactly.

I've personally, at work, because we have a couple guys who are gay working in our department (not in relationship with each other) getting far worse and horrific treatment from non-religious people who would never step foot in a church.

Red in Chicago
06-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Well I certainly wouldn't burn anyone at the stake but if two people of the same sex wanna do something that I find offensive in front of my family then trust me I will say something about it.

Very tolerant of you.

TeamSelig
06-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Still no one addresses the term 'groping' which changes everything.

Ravenlord
06-06-2008, 06:52 PM
i'm amazed. . .never though this thread would make it to 10 posts, let alone 30+

Razor Shines
06-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Yeah, well ballpark security won't let me run the bases during the 7th inning stretch. Look I'm not stretching cold and the concourse is way to crowded to get a good warm up in. So I tell 'em "to go kick rocks".

* the preceding was for comedic purposes only. In no way does it offer any insights to my opinion on the original subject nor should it be used in any intelligent argument.

Matt700wlw
06-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Chicks kissing.

I can tolerate that.

:)

reds44
06-06-2008, 07:49 PM
It makes it that much better. :eek:

reds44
06-06-2008, 07:50 PM
I think it would be gross, but no I still wouldn't care. No different then a guy and a girl kissing. Being gay isn't a crime.

KronoRed
06-06-2008, 07:54 PM

What article says they were doing that?

Bob Borkowski
06-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Actually, I read another article that included "making out and groping" which is probably the real story.

"Groping" is too far, straight or homo (IMO)

Agreed.

TeamSelig
06-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I dunno if this is the one I originally read, but it states it as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,363427,00.html

On Thursday, after an internal investigation, the Mariners said in a news release that their seating staff had acted appropriately, and the couple was approached because of their behavior — which included "making out" and "groping" in the stands — and not their sexual orientation.

Is it really possible that not everyone hates gays? Nahh that wouldn't be story-worthy.

Roy Tucker
06-07-2008, 12:19 AM
At GABP, don't they have something on the scoreboard about no excessive public displays of affection (PDAs)?

I don't care who is doing what to who, I'm not keen on people getting all hot and bothered in a public place. Get a room, you two!

Unassisted
06-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I attended a WNBA game last night, which doesn't tax one's powers of observation to notice the games are a popular sporting event for lesbians. Mrs. Unassisted pointed out the tattoo on the back of one of the women seated below us. It depicted two women with absurdly-long tongues licking the same lollipop. One of the articles above about the incident in Seattle said that stadium officials were concerned about "having to explain" lesbian affection to young children. The WNBA league official who was seated between us and the woman with the tattoo didn't appear to be concerned about the tattoo. I wonder how the folks in Seattle would react to it?

Unassisted
06-07-2008, 02:36 PM
At GABP, don't they have something on the scoreboard about no excessive public displays of affection (PDAs)?
I think I remember seeing that posted on the scoreboard, too. And yet, most sporting events these days with a video scoreboard have that Kiss Cam feature that encourages PDAs.

As I was sitting in the section with several lesbian couples at the WNBA game last night, I pondered how long it will be until there is a lawsuit that a sporting event's Kiss Cam discriminates against gays and lesbians.

Razor Shines
06-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I attended a WNBA game last night, which doesn't tax one's powers of observation to notice the games are a popular sporting event for lesbians. Mrs. Unassisted pointed out the tattoo on the back of one of the women seated below us. It depicted two women with absurdly-long tongues licking the same lollipop. One of the articles above about the incident in Seattle said that stadium officials were concerned about "having to explain" lesbian affection to young children. The WNBA league official who was seated between us and the woman with the tattoo didn't appear to be concerned about the tattoo. I wonder how the folks in Seattle would react to it?

I bet you got yourself into that one with a statement something along the lines of "If the Giants beat the Pats in the Super Bowl I'll go to a WNBA game."

Sea Ray
06-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I've been to a few Mariners games and it is not unusual to see outwardly gay women there, sometimes they're making out, sometimes not, but there is a lot of "that" at Safeco. As a Cincinnati kid I know I'm not on Pete Rose Way anymore.

Unassisted
06-07-2008, 11:10 PM
I bet you got yourself into that one with a statement something along the lines of "If the Giants beat the Pats in the Super Bowl I'll go to a WNBA game."Nah. I went because I like having the opportunity to see a basketball game in the Spurs arena and being at about the same height as the players without paying NBA prices. Seriously, we walked up with no tickets and a coupon from the newspaper. For $15, we got seats behind the basket, 8 rows up from courtside, a voucher for a hot dog, a soft drink and a bag of chips. Plus the home team has a couple of cute guards. ;)

RFS62
06-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Oh yeah, we need to protect ourselves from having to see any gay activity. All the while, teams like the Marlins run a bunch of strippers, uh, cheerleaders out there every night.

But that's ok, right?

Seems like incredible hipocrisy to me.

GAC
06-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I don't care if your heterosexual or homosexual.... public display of affection, and I'm referring to groping and not able to keep your hands off one another, is a little too much for anyone to take.

We have a lesbian couple living here, and being that Bellefontaine is a small-to-mid-sized town (and fairly conservative), it easily gets noticed. Why? Because whenever I've seen them out in public, whether it's at the local Kroger or WalMart, they are, IMO, and due to the overt behavior they are displaying in public which is not simply holding hands, they are intentionally trying to draw attention to themselves. They're in their early 20's I'd say, always giggling and looking around to see if anyone is watching them.

And of course everyone ignores them. But a couple times I've been tempted (because I'm honery) to have a George Costanza "moment".... :lol:

George: Listen. Let me ask you something. If you and Mona were ever to... dance, how do you decide who leads? I mean... do you take turns? Do you discuss it beforehand? How does that work?

Susan: You're an idiot.

George: Why? That's a *legitimate* sociological question.

GAC
06-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Oh yeah, we need to protect ourselves from having to see any gay activity. All the while, teams like the Marlins run a bunch of strippers, uh, cheerleaders out there every night.

But that's ok, right?

Only if there's mud involved. :p:

klw
06-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Wow 4 pages and no one has mentioned the couple that had sex in the hotel at the skydome with the curtains open during a game.

RBA
06-08-2008, 06:01 PM
So most of us agree that the line should be drawn at groping and/or exposing of certain body parts? Straight or Gay? How about players who pat each other on the bottoms? Is that a grope? And is it straight? :eek:

OldRightHander
06-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Straight, gay, or whatever, I think there is just a standard of what is appropriate in public. When I'm with my wife in public, we are somewhat more subdued than we would be in our home. Not that I have problem with behaving otherwise, but I have enough control to wait until we're home.