PDA

View Full Version : Alonso thrilled to go to Reds at No. 7

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Alonso thrilled to go to Reds at No. 7
University of Miami slugger a second-team All-American
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

PHILADELPHIA -- More than 10 years ago, Yonder Alonso's father gathered his family and defected from Cuba on a small plane with hopes that there would be a day like Thursday.

Alonso, now a junior first baseman at the University of Miami, was the Reds' selection as the seventh overall pick on Thursday in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft.

"I've been following them for a while," Alonso said. "They're a great team. I just can't wait to go meet [Ken] Griffey [Jr.] and [Adam] Dunn."

A left-handed power hitter who is listed at 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds, the 21-year-old Alonso is currently batting .370 with 21 home runs and 66 RBIs in 58 games for the Hurricanes. Miami is playing in the NCAA Super Regional tournament this week.

A graduate of Coral Gables (Fla.) High School, Alonso played collegiately in his hometown and was an occasional workout partner with Yankees superstar and Miami native Alex Rodriguez.

In 2008, Alonso was a second-team All-American by Louisville Slugger and Baseball America. He was also rated the No. 2 prospect last summer in the prestigious Cape Cod League, a wooden bat amateur league.

"We've been following Yonder probably since the 11th grade," Reds senior director of scouting Chris Buckley said. "Two of my better scouts I've worked with for a long time have been following him for quite a while. It's really his body of work. He had three outstanding years at the University of Miami -- one of the top programs in the country. We like what he did last summer in Cape Cod with the wood bat. He's a high on-base percentage guy. Every time we go in there, the guy performs."

Alonso's father, Luis, was a professional ballplayer in Cuba under Fidel Castro's dictatorship. A communist nation that's under a U.S. trade embargo, citizens have few freedoms, although life for the nation's baseball players often comes with some perks.

Looking to make a better life for his children, Luis gathered the family in a small airplane and defected out of the country. Alonso was a 10-year-old boy at the time.

"Nobody knew about it," Alonso said. "He wanted to do it for me and my younger sister. He just wanted to give us an opportunity to do something in life, actually earn something and not have something over there that can get taken away from you at any time."

Left behind were aunts, uncles and cousins. Alonso came over with both parents and his younger sister.

"It was tough. You learn to grow up very, very quickly," Alonso said. "It's one of those things that when everything else in life comes your way, it's nothing compared to what you go through with all that. It's great I got the opportunity to learn that, and now I can go on with life. It means a lot. It's a little bit easier, because I could just think about that moment in my life."

Alonso will be represented by agent Greg Genske. There have been reports that Alonso and Genske have demanded an $8 million signing bonus and a Major League contract, which would mean Alonso would have to be put on the 40-man roster.

"Hopefully we can get something done with the Reds," Alonso said. "I'm not really ready to talk about that. Right now I'm trying to win a College World Series. We'll see what happens after that."

Cincinnati has not given a big league contract to a first-round Draft pick since 2000, when both shortstop David Espinosa and catcher Dane Sardinha were signed by then-GM Jim Bowden. Neither panned out for the organization.

The Reds already have a left-handed power-hitting first baseman in rookie Joey Votto. Undeterred, the club stuck to its guns about selecting what it viewed as the best player available despite the reported contract demands.

"Ownership and [general manager Walt Jocketty] were totally supportive," Buckley said. "Myself and the rest thought this was the best guy. Hopefully we'll be able to get him out there quickly, but maybe we don't. We're feeling pretty good we'll get him signed. We had contact with his agents. We had to touch base and go over certain things. We wouldn't have picked him if we didn't think we could sign him."

Alonso can also play catcher and third base, but first base is considered his primary position. Scouting reports about his defense aren't overly enthusiastic, however.

A total of five rounds will be completed on Day 1 of the Draft. Cincinnati does not have a second-round selection, which went to the Brewers as compensation for signing free-agent closer Francisco Cordero.

In the special Negro League Draft, held Thursday, the Reds took former Memphis Red Sox pitcher Charlie "Whip" Davis, who played from 1950-55. Each Major League club "drafted" surviving former Negro League players, who represented every player who did not have the opportunity to play Major League baseball.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080605&content_id=2845306&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:13 PM
We certainly didn't take him due to signability. If ownership ponies up close to 8 million for this guy I'll take Catellini a bit more seriously. If they punt the pick.. well then... as the ol' yogi'ism goes.. Its de ja vu all over again.

RedsManRick
06-05-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm a big fan of the pick. I like going with a guy who is as a sure a thing as there is. Seems like a good kid to boot and anybody who works out with A-Rod has to have a great work ethic.

cincyinco
06-05-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm a big fan of the pick. I like going with a guy who is as a sure a thing as there is. Seems like a good kid to boot and anybody who works out with A-Rod has to have a great work ethic.

Oh, there's a joke inside there somewhere about working out with Arod.. :P

GoReds33
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Eight million is rediculious for this guy. Sure he's good, but we should have went with somebody who's not using his one year of eligibility as leverage. If I were the Reds I would have went with somebody willing to sign for around 3 million. We could save the eight million, and use it toward Adam Dunn's next contract, and he's much more of a "sure thing."

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Eight million is rediculious for this guy. Sure he's good, but we should have went with somebody who's not using his one year of eligibility as leverage. If I were the Reds I would have went with somebody willing to sign for around 3 million. We could save the eight million, and use it toward Adam Dunn's next contract, and he's much more of a "sure thing."
You think 5 million bucks is going to make or break a 4 or 5 year deal Dunn is going to want? Thats a million bucks a year, if that stops them from deciding on Dunn or not something is wrong.

GoReds33
06-05-2008, 06:58 PM
You think 5 million bucks is going to make or break a 4 or 5 year deal Dunn is going to want? Thats a million bucks a year, if that stops them from deciding on Dunn or not something is wrong.Nope. I just think that the five million would be better spent ensuring that Adam Dunn is here, rather than putting it towards a college first baseman who may never set foot on a big league diamond.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Nope. I just think that the five million would be better spent ensuring that Adam Dunn is here, rather than putting it towards a college first baseman who may never set foot on a big league diamond.

Welll from the sounds of it you would rather the Reds just sign mlb vets and not spend 10-15 million on development at all then....

GoReds33
06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Welll from the sounds of it you would rather the Reds just sign mlb vets and not spend 10-15 million on development at all then....I have no problem with putting money into development, but eight million dollars is too much for a small market team to spend on a player who may never see a MLB field. That's all I'm saying. I have no problem with spending 2 million on Duran. Duran is a great prospect. What I'm saying is that for a team that doesn't sell out many games, and doesn't have the market of Chicago or New York, we need to spend like it. The Yankees can take risks like this because they have eight million to spend, but I don't want that money being spent on a player that isn't already proven.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 07:29 PM
I have no problem with putting money into development, but eight million dollars is too much for a small market team to spend on a player who may never see a MLB field. That's all I'm saying. I have no problem with spending 2 million on Duran. Duran is a great prospect. What I'm saying is that for a team that doesn't sell out many games, and doesn't have the market of Chicago or New York, we need to spend like it. The Yankees can take risks like this because they have eight million to spend, but I don't want that money being spent on a player that isn't already proven.
So you would rather have taken a lesser talent?

Joseph
06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't like the pick when the SS we need is there and by the numbers looked every bit as good as this guy.

GoReds33
06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
So you would rather have taken a lesser talent?No, I would rather have taken a cheaper talent. Not all players want eight million, and just because they don't doesn't mean that they are lesser talent. I would have went with Beckman, or Crow, depending on which was cheaper.

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 07:41 PM
No, I would rather have taken a cheaper talent. Not all players want eight million, and just because they don't doesn't mean that they are lesser talent. I would have went with Beckman, or Crow, depending on which was cheaper.

Well our scouts said they were lesser players....

NorrisHopper30
06-05-2008, 07:51 PM
I like the pick and i'm starting to think we are moving up from smaller market to a medium to large market once we get things rolling here.

Great outlook for the Redlegs!

GoReds
06-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Is Yonder Alonso spanish for Jack Cust?

dougdirt
06-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Maybe its me, but I don't see the Jack Cust comparison.... Cust strikes out more than Adam Dunn. Alonso doesn't seem to strike out much at all.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Maybe its me, but I don't see the Jack Cust comparison.... Cust strikes out more than Adam Dunn. Alonso doesn't seem to strike out much at all.

Exactly. Comparing Alonso to Cust is like comparing Dunn to Kingman.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I don't like the pick when the SS we need is there and by the numbers looked every bit as good as this guy.

Yup.

His bat had better be exponentially better than Beckham's, because he has absolutely no other tools to fall back on. At least Beckham has the potential to play premium defensive positions if his stick doesn't live up to the hype.

Unless you're drafting Frank Thomas or Prince Fielder, picking a 1st baseman this high is just a waste of an opportunity.

PuffyPig
06-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I have no problem with putting money into development, but eight million dollars is too much for a small market team to spend on a player who may never see a MLB field. That's all I'm saying. I have no problem with spending 2 million on Duran. Duran is a great prospect.

Just because he's suggested he wants $8M dopesn't mean he will get it. THe Reds have talked to this guy. They probably already know what it will cost.

And $8M for Alonso is probably quite a bit less risky than $2M for Duran.

MWM
06-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Making picks based on who is cheap is what lands you with Chris Gruler instead of Scott Kazmir.

It was the Reds' philosophy for a long time and I'm glad those days are gone. That's just bad business.

11larkin11
06-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I don't want to mind forking out 8 mil, but I think the ML contract is already in the works, as apparent by the open spot on our 40 man. Sign him soon, as soon as he exits or wins the CWS.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Draft update -- Reds pick RHP in 3rd, 4th and 5th;
Thursday, June 5, 2008, 08:08 PM EST

It's just before 7, and the third round has started with the Rays taking UC Davis catcher Jacob Jefferies with the 78th overall pick. The Reds pick 84th overall, so the newest Red should be known rather quickly.

Update: The Reds selected RHP Zachary Stewart out of Texas Tech. Stewart was 3-2 with a 4.98 ERA and three saves for the Red Raiders.

Baseball America had him listed as the No. 46 player in the draft and the Reds got him at 84. That's good value. A reliever who has started, Baseball America said "his best pitch is a92-96 mph fastball with filthy sink. Early in the season, he showed a slarp slider that some scouts graded as a plus-plus offering."

Update 2: In the fourth round, the Reds selected RHP Tyler Cline of Cass High School in Cartersville, Ga. Cline is listed as 6-2, 220 pounds.

Update 3: The fifth-round pick is another right-hander, Clayton Shunick out of N.C. State. Shunick was 7-5 with a 2.16 ERA on an N.C. State team that is also in the NCAA Super Regionals. Shunick will start Game 1 of the Wolfpack's NCAA Super Regional in Athens, Ga., against the Georgia Bulldogs.

Update 4: MLB lied to me. They said they'd only do 5, they did 6. The Reds took SS Alex Buchholz of Delaware.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Alex Buchholz may hold the key to this draft as much as anyone. If Alonso hits as expected, and Buchholz - who can rake, btw, becomes a top prospect at SS, the Beckham pass may look really smart. The question is whether Buchholz can return to the form that had him crushing opposing pitching his first two years in college. Obviously, the Reds think he can.

11larkin11
06-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Buchholz may be the key to the Alonso pick. If Buckley knew they were going to take him, and maybe they have inside scouting info on him, that is why they took him instead of Beckham. There is always something that we don't know about, maybe the coaches at UD changed something in his swing this year that Buckley will have us readjust to go back to his raking ways.

flyer85
06-05-2008, 10:25 PM
if they passed on Beckham because of another SS his name would be Valaika and not Buchholz

Blitz Dorsey
06-05-2008, 10:29 PM
The Reds passed on Beckham because he was a one-year wonder in college. At this time last year, no one had Gordon Beckham even on the map as a first-round pick. Add in the fact that the Reds aren't sold that he will definitely be a SS and I think they made the right decision not to take him. I probably would have preferred Crow or Smoak, but I have no problem with the Alonso pick. Some tout him as the best hitter in the draft, period.

WVRed
06-05-2008, 10:36 PM
The Reds passed on Beckham because he was a one-year wonder in college. At this time last year, no one had Gordon Beckham even on the map as a first-round pick. Add in the fact that the Reds aren't sold that he will definitely be a SS and I think they made the right decision not to take him. I probably would have preferred Crow or Smoak, but I have no problem with the Alonso pick. Some tout him as the best hitter in the draft, period.

I only have one problem with the Alonso pick.

Assume Adam Dunn is gone and Votto goes to left field. Our top three hitters for the future will be Jay Bruce, Yonder Alonso, and Joey Votto.

There is not a righthander one in that mix. That is why I would have preferred Smoak over Alonso.

The more I read about Beckham though makes me somewhat glad the Reds went elsewhere. He may be good, but he has only shown it this year. Alonso has a history of producing well and from other things I have seen shows great leadership.

flyer85
06-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Some tout him as the best hitter in the draft, period.he better be

Blitz Dorsey
06-05-2008, 10:41 PM
I agree with you WVRed. I was surprised they went with a LHH given the fact that Dunn, Bruce and Votto are in the fold, and at least the latter two will be around for a while.

However, I like the Reds going after the best player available (in their opinion) and not drafting for need. No matter the sport (MLB, NFL, NBA) nothing will get you in trouble faster than drafting for need. There were better players on the board than Beckham. I just wonder if the Reds got the best player on the board. I like Alonso, but like you I think I would have preferred Smoak just for the fact that he's a switch hitter (and most people say he's just as good of a hitter as Alonso, and everyone says he's better defensively). I also would have liked Crow. But give me the choice between Alonso and Beckham and I would definitely take Alonso. The guy is a proven stud hitter, not a possible one-year wonder. And even after Beckham's strong performance in the Cape Cod league last year, Beckham was ranked as the 12th-best prospect in the league and Alonso was ranked as the 2nd-best prospect by Baseball America.

15fan
06-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Reds have a good history of Cuban-born 1Bs.

RedlegJake
06-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I think Buchholz is going to shock some people here. As in good shock. Valaika isn't going to stick at SS, imo. He may start there and move to 2nd when BP's contract is up which will be just about the time Buchholz is ready. And if Neftali Soto doesn't outgrow the position, which is possible, his bat will be better than either in time. Rumblings about Juan Francisco working hard on discipline and recognizing he needs to imrpove there have me more optimistic about him. Then there's Juan Duran who nobody has any kind of read on yet beyond his scouting reports which are phenomenal. My point is there are lots of scenarios and players in the mix -no way you look three years down the road and say oh we'll need a RH bat more than a lefty so lets draft a RHer.

That's crazy imo. Alonso has the best approach to have success at the next level of all the main picks, imo, except Alvarez. I would have been happy with Beckham, too, or Smoak. But I guarantee you if either had been the pick people would be posting what a dumb decision it was. "One year wonder" would have been heard.

NorrisHopper30
06-05-2008, 10:57 PM
I think we have a good problem brewing around here with the competition and depth in the farm system.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I think we have a good problem brewing around here with the competition and depth in the farm system.

Jocketty has always been good at trading depth for established big-league talent. Hopefully he can work his magic, because the team is devoid of good help straight up the middle (C, SS, CF) being ready within the next 2 or 3 years.

NorrisHopper30
06-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Jocketty has always been good at trading depth for established big-league talent. Hopefully he can work his magic, because the team is devoid of good help straight up the middle (C, SS, CF) being ready within the next 2 or 3 years.

The question is will he do it this year, or next.

Mario-Rijo
06-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I thought I read somewhere here lately that Beckham had a .900+ ops the year before this last one also and he tore it up at the Cape Cod league. If that's so then he isn't a 1 year wonder, if I'm wrong then I guess he isn't as good as I thought.

Hondo
06-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I am just happy that he is able to play 3rd Base... I like Votto at 1st and Dunn in LEFT, hoping they sign Adam Dunn to a LTC...

But all in all... I just hope he works out...

11larkin11
06-05-2008, 11:11 PM
I am just happy that he is able to play 3rd Base... I like Votto at 1st and Dunn in LEFT, hoping they sign Adam Dunn to a LTC...

But all in all... I just hope he works out...

He's not really able to play 3rd. 1B is about it for him.

druwhall
06-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Anyone think he could possibly learn to play catcher? It was int he article.

NorrisHopper30
06-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Anyone think he could possibly learn to play catcher? It was int he article.
I heard 3B, C, 1B are all potential positions. I don't see him being a 3B unless he loses a lot of weight, but it'd be nice to see him try C out (even though I have faith in Mesoraco).

11larkin11
06-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Any changing of positions would just slow his pace to the majors, IMO. He is a first baseman, and thats it.

Kingspoint
06-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Personally, I'm fine with this pick as I see his debut coming in September of 2009 as the REDS are in their first of a string of many pennant races.

jmcclain19
06-06-2008, 02:49 AM
For whatever it's worth - Baseball Prospectus Rany Jazayerli did a study a couple of years ago that said basically if you have to narrow it down between college bats, college first baseman are by far the safest when making 1st round picks of all the positions available.

Reference material

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5152

Draft Rule #12: College first basemen are the most valuable group of draft picks by an enormous margin. College first basemen selected in the first round have gone on to have Hall of Fame-caliber careers approximately one-third of the time.

Over the course of the entire draft study, college first basemen have returned a ridiculous +144% in draft value. Thirteen first basemen were selected in the first 30 picks between 1984 and 1999, including Frank Thomas, Mark McGwire, Will Clark, Todd Helton, and Lance Berkman. John Olerud was a first-round talent who slipped to the third round because he was considered a tough sign.

Draft Rule #13: Among college hitters, after first basemen there is almost no difference between the other infield positions, including catcher. Collegiate outfielders trail all other positions by a significant margin, probably because of an overemphasis on “tools” guys with great athleticism but underdeveloped bats.

Here’s the chart for college position players:

1984 – 1999 1992 - 1999
Pos Overall Pos Overall

COL 1B +155.3% COL 1B +113.1%
COL 2B + 41.0% COL 2B + 55.6%
COL SS + 37.9% COL 3B + 55.2%
COL 3B + 24.4% COL C + 49.8%
COL C + 12.5% COL SS + 45.1%
COL OF + 12.5% COL OF - 5.3%

Topcat
06-06-2008, 03:30 AM

perfectly put :thumbup:, competition breeds success and Alonso's bat seems like its a non risk choice. yes and oh do i remember the vitriol spit out on draft day over the choice of high school picks like Homer and Jay Bruce.

Deepred05
06-06-2008, 04:05 AM
Does Alonso have the same agent as Adam Dunn? Seems like I read that somewhere. Interesting if he did.

redsmetz
06-06-2008, 05:38 AM
I found this little scouting blip from 2006 about Cline on a site called Perfect Game:

http://www.perfectgame.org/events/2006/showcases/06_12_28_national_underclass_showcase/tplist.aspx

OF-RHP Tyler Cline (Cartersville, GA): Cline is a primary outfielder right now but we see him as a full-time pitcher before long. He throws 90 mph with plus life and a nice slider.

redsmetz
06-06-2008, 07:50 AM
From this morning's Miami Herald in a story about three University of Miami players being taken in the 1st round:

Alonso, who is 6-2 and 215 pounds, is hitting .370 with an Atlantic Coast Conference-leading 21 home runs.

He said he was overcome with emotion when he heard the news with his family at a T.G.I. Friday's across the street from campus in Coral Gables.

''A lot of cheering. I don't even know what happened. I was crying,'' said Alonso, who was drafted by the Twins in the 15th round out of Coral Gables High in 2005.

``I was very, very happy. The Reds are a great organization and they have great players. I can't wait to meet Adam Dunn and [Ken] Griffey [Jr].''

Alonso conceded he was waiting to see if the Marlins would take him No. 6 overall. When they didn't, he moved forward -- and was chosen with the next pick.

''If the Marlins didn't get me, it was game on after that with anybody,'' he said. 'As soon as the magic Marlins passed up on me, I said, `All right, let's see what happens with the next pick.' And there it was.''

Was it a disappointment the Marlins passed him?

''Uhhh. I don't know,'' he said. ``It was interesting, interesting. No comment. Now, obviously, I'm more of a fan for the Reds.''

Alonso was especially low key in UM's dugout after emoting earlier with his family. He said his priority was the UM postseason.

''This is a little more important right now,'' he said. ``I have to take care of these guys and see what happens after that. You play the game to win a championship and get to the major league level. It's amazing. It's a blessing.''

JayBruce4HOF
06-06-2008, 09:01 AM
I have no problem with putting money into development, but eight million dollars is too much for a small market team to spend on a player who may never see a MLB field. That's all I'm saying. I have no problem with spending 2 million on Duran. Duran is a great prospect. What I'm saying is that for a team that doesn't sell out many games, and doesn't have the market of Chicago or New York, we need to spend like it. The Yankees can take risks like this because they have eight million to spend, but I don't want that money being spent on a player that isn't already proven.

This is classic small-market thinking.

Has Bud Selig condemned the Reds to an eternity of small-market economics? I must have missed that memo.

Think like a small-market club and I'll guarantee you that that's all you'll ever be.

(i.e. loser mentality)

edabbs44
06-06-2008, 09:07 AM
This is classic small-market thinking.

Has Bud Selig condemned the Reds to an eternity of small-market economics? I must have missed that memo.

Think like a small-market club and I'll guarantee you that that's all you'll ever be.

(i.e. loser mentality)

I also strongly disagree with that sentiment, but I'm not sure about sinking $8MM into a first baseman who should be somewhat close to the majors when you already have a young first baseman doing quite well in his rookie season.

$8MM would be better suited being spent on a guy who might help strengthen a deficiency in the organization. Drafting Porcello last season would have been a great example.

DTCromer
06-06-2008, 09:09 AM
He's not really able to play 3rd. 1B is about it for him.

Really? Did you ask him?

kaldaniels
06-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Can someone explain why he would want a major league contract. Why not just try to get the biggest signing bonus you can get. :confused: I have no clue about this process and am just looking for an answer.

bucksfan2
06-06-2008, 09:13 AM
I am not enamored with this pick but I hope becomes a productive Red. One thing that scares me is he reminds me of a Javy Valentine at the plate. He has a stout build and it looks like he is in a crouch at the plate and has somewhat of an uppercut swing.

JayBruce4HOF
06-06-2008, 09:19 AM
I also strongly disagree with that sentiment, but I'm not sure about sinking $8MM into a first baseman who should be somewhat close to the majors when you already have a young first baseman doing quite well in his rookie season.

$8MM would be better suited being spent on a guy who might help strengthen a deficiency in the organization. Drafting Porcello last season would have been a great example.

This reasoning I can get on board with and at least empathize with.

Perhaps they view this kid as the BPA and excellent trade bait 12 months from now? If he rakes like everyone seems to think he will, he'll be an excellent DH candidate for the AL as well as 1b.

We all know about Jocketty's penchant for turning extra parts into valuable commodities.

DTCromer
06-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Can someone please explain to me all the whining going on in this thread? I've never seen such a group of crybabies.

WAAAAAAA! He wants 8 million!
WAAAAAA! He plays first base!
WAAAAAAAA! He allegedly doesn't play good defense!

Ask any Miami fan and they'll tell you Alonso has been the best defensive first basemen they've ever had.

bucksfan2
06-06-2008, 09:29 AM
People complain about Dunn making 15M this year. 8M is a lot of money to give to a guy who has never set foot on a major league diamond. While people may project him as a sure thing there is no such thing as a sure thing.

Flexibility. Ideally you want to get your best 8 players on the field at the same time. Pujols came up with the ability to play 1b, 3b, lf, rf which enabled the Cards to bring him up and play him every day with McGwire at 1b.

Got nothing here.

Danny Serafini
06-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Can someone explain why he would want a major league contract. Why not just try to get the biggest signing bonus you can get. :confused: I have no clue about this process and am just looking for an answer.

It's a way for him to ensure he'll get to the Major Leagues sooner. By signing a Major League deal now he goes on the 40 man roster. He can be optioned down in '08, '09 and 10. After that he would have to pass through waivers to be sent down, and it's unlikely the Reds would take that chance because he would get claimed and the Reds would wind up throwing away their investment. So unless he completely tanks he'll know that he'll be in the Majors for good no later than the start of the 2011 season. Without that Major League deal he could sit in the minors for four, five, six years before getting a callup.

PuffyPig
06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
It's a way for him to ensure he'll get to the Major Leagues sooner. By signing a Major League deal now he goes on the 40 man roster. He can be optioned down in '08, '09 and 10. After that he would have to pass through waivers to be sent down, and it's unlikely the Reds would take that chance because he would get claimed and the Reds would wind up throwing away their investment.

Yes, but if there is one thing I have learned from the Wily Mo Pena contract is, at the time when Alonso 3 years is up, if he isn't ready, we could always work a deal with his agent that allows us to send him down anyway.

One thing I never did learn. Why didn't we do that very thing with Wily Mo?

Huuummmmmm.....

DTCromer
06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
People complain about Dunn making 15M this year. 8M is a lot of money to give to a guy who has never set foot on a major league diamond. While people may project him as a sure thing there is no such thing as a sure thing.

Flexibility. Ideally you want to get your best 8 players on the field at the same time. Pujols came up with the ability to play 1b, 3b, lf, rf which enabled the Cards to bring him up and play him every day with McGwire at 1b.

Got nothing here.

Dunn makes 15 million a year. Alonso wants 8 million total. A little bit of difference.

PMZQ
06-06-2008, 10:22 AM

Trust me, as a 'Canes fan I have had the opportunity to see Yonder for the last 3 years. He is as good as advertised, and should be a star. He also is a nice guy, and has a great attitude. His upbringing makes him humble, and very thankful for all he has achieved.

I talked to him several weeks ago at the U's baseball "Team Feed" (a party given by the Diamond Dolls & Diamond Studs, a U of Miami booster club) and he is just as genuine as can be, and excited to be a major league baseball player.

But if you don't sign him, we'll gladly take him back for his senior season with the 'Canes. :D

BuckeyeRedleg
06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Dunn makes 13 M in 2008.

He made 10.5 M in 2007.

Question. Does giving Alonso 8M and having him sign a major league deal cover all of his non-arbitration years and one or more of his arbitration years? I would assume his first three years (by 2010) he would make nearly 1.5M at the major league minimum anyway. Plus, even without a major league deal he would want a signing bonus. I think we paid Stubbs 2M (two years ago) at #8 just for his signing bonus. What would be the slot payout for Alonso at #7 (two years later), 2.5M-3M? So if you paid him a 2.5M signing bonus and he's up with the big club in a couple years and makes 1.5 minimum (for his 3 non-arb years), he'd be at 4M total by the time he's arb eligible. So is what we are talking about here, the difference between 8M and 4-5M (3-4M)?

I would think if he would sign for 5-6 years, you could buy out one of his arb eligible years with the 8M, but I'm not quite sure how that all works out.

I can't quite remember how those deals with Espinosa and Sardinha worked out but I thought they were asking for major league contracts as well, right?

PMZQ
06-06-2008, 10:27 AM

Very patient hitter, he got the "Barry Bonds" treatment towards the end of the year. It will be interesting to see how the Wildcats pitch him this weekend. For Reds fans I would think this will be "must see TV".

REDREAD
06-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Where did the Beckhman SS that we passed on end up being taken? I am just curious.

If the Reds' scouts think that Yonder is going to turn into a Berkman type player, I can't complain. I am thrilled that they took the guy they thought was the best player available. That's always the smart thing to do (vs drafting for needs or signablity).

I also like how they took a college reliever with their second pick. With bullpen arms being at such a premium, I think it's wise to target them in the draft.

NorrisHopper30
06-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Where did the Beckhman SS that we passed on end up being taken? I am just curious.

If the Reds' scouts think that Yonder is going to turn into a Berkman type player, I can't complain. I am thrilled that they took the guy they thought was the best player available. That's always the smart thing to do (vs drafting for needs or signablity).

I also like how they took a college reliever with their second pick. With bullpen arms being at such a premium, I think it's wise to target them in the draft.

8th to the White Sox.

PMZQ
06-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Can someone please explain to me all the whining going on in this thread? I've never seen such a group of crybabies.

Ask any Miami fan and they'll tell you Alonso has been the best defensive first basemen they've ever had.

Well not the best, that was Kevin Hart (1983-86), who never played an MLB game. The guy made a total of 5 errors his whole Hurricanes career at 1st base.

But Yonder is no slouch at 1st base. His bat is his best thing, but his glove is not awful by any means, and I think well above average for Div 1 college baseball players.

Another thing, he improved every year, which shows he is coachable, and on the upswing just learning what his talent is all about.

Trust me, you got a winner with this guy. :thumbup:

PMZQ
06-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Dunn makes 13 M in 2008.

He made 10.5 M in 2007.

Question. Does giving Alonso 8M and having him sign a major league deal cover all of his non-arbitration years and one or more of his arbitration years? I would assume his first three years (by 2010) he would make nearly 1.5M at the major league minimum anyway. Plus, even without a major league deal he would want a signing bonus. I think we paid Stubbs 2M (two years ago) at #8 just for his signing bonus. What would be the slot payout for Alonso at #7 (two years later), 2.5M-3M? So if you paid him a 2.5M signing bonus and he's up with the big club in a couple years and makes 1.5 minimum (for his 3 non-arb years), he'd be at 4M total by the time he's arb eligible. So is what we are talking about here, the difference between 8M and 4-5M (3-4M)?

I would think if he would sign for 5-6 years, you could buy out one of his arb eligible years with the 8M, but I'm not quite sure how that all works out.

I can't quite remember how those deals with Espinosa and Sardinha worked out but I thought they were asking for major league contracts as well, right?

I think its all signing bouns money, paid out over several years. The contract can have a 40 man provision, but I think the CBA doesn't allow you to sign a man to a longterm contract until after at least 1 year service in MLB.

lollipopcurve
06-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Trust me, you got a winner with this guy.

I'm pretty certain of that. Thanks for checking in from the homefront.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the insight PMZQ. I'll be watching the Reds/Marlins on TV tonight but I'm gonna check back and forth on the Miami/Arizona game and watch Alonso's atbats.

RedsManRick
06-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Just curious, for you draft mavens, when is the last time the Reds picked picked a polished college bat in the first round? Stubbs was picked for his defense and athleticism. What about Larson, Mattola? Barry?

RichRed
06-06-2008, 11:09 AM

From what I've read, I like it too. Chris Buckley called him a "high on-base percentage guy." It's refreshing to see someone in the organization explicitly recognizing the value in that.

RichRed
06-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Alex Buchholz may hold the key to this draft as much as anyone. If Alonso hits as expected, and Buchholz - who can rake, btw, becomes a top prospect at SS, the Beckham pass may look really smart. The question is whether Buchholz can return to the form that had him crushing opposing pitching his first two years in college. Obviously, the Reds think he can.

The Reds drafted two players from U. of Delaware last year, Brandon Menchaca and Mike McGuire, and now Buchholtz this year. Wonder if they have some sort of connection in Blue Hen-land or if it's just a coincidence?

lollipopcurve
06-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Just curious, for you draft mavens, when is the last time the Reds picked picked a polished college bat in the first round? Stubbs was picked for his defense and athleticism. What about Larson, Mattola? Barry?

Polished? Larkin. Mottola was a late riser from Central Florida, I think. Larson was also a late riser, too. Neither had what would be considered a solid approach. Alonso's body of work is substantial and remarkably consistent on the BA, OBP and power fronts. He's a very, very safe bet.

DTCromer
06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Comments from Hurricanes fans on Alonso who've seen him play for a long time:

Very good defensively, smart hitter, great plate presence, who can hit the ball all over the field. He's been clutch this year. I could see him hitting .290 with 30 HR's.

He is as good a defensive first baseman as we have had at UM and we have had several good ones. He could have played 3rd base and catcher too.

He is pretty patient at the plate, and is a right handed pitcher's worst nightmare, but is not great against lefties.

honestly, he is likely to be stucka t first but i am sure he can play third in a pinch at the big league level. now the whole range thing baffles me. its not like the first baseman needs to cover a ton of ground and yonder is good with the glove for the most part. people knocking his defense are more about finding a weakness than actually hating his defense IMO.

In many of the fall practice games and scrimmages he played third base and he was more than adequate. I have heard that he can catch, but I have never seen him do it.

The absurd number of walks he gets is another telling stat. He's very patient which will benefit him greatly in the pros. He's kind of an MLB sure thing in my eyes.

bucksfan2
06-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Polished? Larkin. Mottola was a late riser from Central Florida, I think. Larson was also a late riser, too. Neither had what would be considered a solid approach. Alonso's body of work is substantial and remarkably consistent on the BA, OBP and power fronts. He's a very, very safe bet.

Larson??? I thought LSU's baseball coach called Larson the best baseball player he had ever coached, including one Joey Bell.

Caveat Emperor
06-06-2008, 01:07 PM

While I like the "best player, regardless of cost" mentality being bantered about, let's not get confused here.

This move will save the Reds a lot of coin if they use it as justification not to pursue a long term contract with Adam Dunn -- which I am almost certain they will (at least internally).

But, naturally I'm sure it's completely coincidental that they drafted a player that can only play 1st base, will be a fast riser through the system, happen to have a young 1st baseman that can also play left field, and have a $10+ million LF in a contract year.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Just like Stubbs and Lincecum, I think it's safe to say that Alonso's pro career will be compared with G. Beckham's for some time here on the Redszone.

It might not be fair, but it is what it is.

Hopefully, they made the right decision, unlike 2006.

edabbs44
06-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Just like Stubbs and Lincecum, I think it's safe to say that Alonso's pro career will be compared with G. Beckham's for some time here on the Redszone.

It might not be fair, but it is what it is.

Hopefully, they made the right decision, unlike 2006.

In fairness, he should be compared to other players who could have been drafted in that spot as well. That would include both Smoak and Crow as well.

The_jbh
06-06-2008, 01:31 PM
While I like the "best player, regardless of cost" mentality being bantered about, let's not get confused here.

This move will save the Reds a lot of coin if they use it as justification not to pursue a long term contract with Adam Dunn -- which I am almost certain they will (at least internally).

But, naturally I'm sure it's completely coincidental that they drafted a player that can only play 1st base, will be a fast riser through the system, happen to have a young 1st baseman that can also play left field, and have a $10+ million LF in a contract year.

I read in two or three locations that Alonso was the #1 player on the reds draft board... if thats the case, I am ecstatic that the reds selected him.... I would have preferred Beckman but I am not a scout. I think Alonso is safe exceptional talent. He is that high power, high avg, high OBP guys we love here on RZ. I am kind of excited people rn't more pumped.

I think people get baseball and other sports confused. Drafting a guy never has an impact on the major league level at the time of the draft. You deal with that dillemma when the guy is ML ready. See Brewers and LaPorta last year.

I think the Reds still procede with signing Dunn to a 3 year contract

crazyredfan40
06-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I read in two or three locations that Alonso was the #1 player on the reds draft board... if thats the case, I am ecstatic that the reds selected him.... I would have preferred Beckman but I am not a scout. I think Alonso is safe exceptional talent. He is that high power, high avg, high OBP guys we love here on RZ. I am kind of excited people rn't more pumped.

I think people get baseball and other sports confused. Drafting a guy never has an impact on the major league level at the time of the draft. You deal with that dillemma when the guy is ML ready. See Brewers and LaPorta last year.

Agree with this...

bucksfan2
06-06-2008, 01:53 PM
In fairness, he should be compared to other players who could have been drafted in that spot as well. That would include both Smoak and Crow as well.

In all fairness he should be compared to every successful player who was taken after him. I don't understand why we always have to make comparisons. Hindsight is always 20/20 but during the draft you don't have the use of hindsight.

flyer85
06-06-2008, 02:03 PM

on Smoak who is a switch hitter

Kevin Goldstein (12:07:43 PM PT): It's a mystery Will. He doesn't want a ton of money, there are no makeup issues. He just seems to be everyone's plan B and they're getting their Plan A guys. Reds seem to be the only team that had Alonso ahead of him.

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Teach Joey Votto how to play third, sign Dunn to a LTC, Alonso wins NL ROY in 2010... what's the problem?

(Oh yeah, four left-handed bats in the lineup everyday, oh well. ... And yeah, teaching Votto to play 3b would be next-to-impossible. But I can dream.)

flyer85
06-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Just like Stubbs and Lincecum, I think it's safe to say that Alonso's pro career will be compared with G. Beckham's for some time here on the Redszone.and Smoak.

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2008, 02:14 PM
If Alonso is only compared to Beckham, we will be very happy. But yeah, I agree he will always be compared to Smoak and Crow as well (at least in my mind).

fearofpopvol1
06-06-2008, 02:15 PM
and Smoak.

and Crow

DTCromer
06-06-2008, 02:24 PM
on Smoak who is a switch hitter

Oh no!

Caveat Emperor
06-06-2008, 02:30 PM

1.) If he's the #1 player LEFT on the Reds draft board, I quibble with their rankings, but I guess I understand. If he was the #1 overall player on the Reds draft board, a lot of people need to be fired.

2.) I understand that it takes longer for baseball players to develop and contribute than football or basketball players -- I've been following the sport long enough to know that.

Still, when you're a team like the Reds (not financially limitless), you have to factor in things like fast-tracked players when determining where to commit valuable dollars of team money.

3.) I'm just making an educated guess, but I doubt that Dunn's "market value" is for a 3 year deal -- especially when most prolific bats are commanding deals into the 6+ year range.

flyer85
06-06-2008, 02:37 PM
3.) I'm just making an educated guess, but I doubt that Dunn's "market value" is for a 3 year deal -- especially when most prolific bats are commanding deals into the 6+ year range.I don't think this pick has anything to do with Dunn ... and not much to do with Votto. Everyones assuming Votto can move to LF and play it adequately when there really is no evidence to support that and it seem that historically those kinds of moves tend to be brutal.

JayBruce4HOF
06-06-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't think this pick has anything to do with Dunn ... and not much to do with Votto. Everyones assuming Votto can move to LF and play it adequately when there really is no evidence to support that and it seem that historically those kinds of moves tend to be brutal.

I think--and hope!--you're right. :pray:

If this kid was the BPA on the Reds board, then they made the right move to draft him. I think it's somewhat disingenuous to conclude that this means the writing is on the wall as far as Dunn being gone. If he was the best player available in their estimation, then, in 12 months time he can be traded for, ideally, the biggest return, or, when he's ready, supplant Joey Votto with Votto being moved for other needed pieces.

RedsManRick
06-06-2008, 05:01 PM
A poster over on Dougdirt's site posted this comment, which I found interesting:

Let’s compare Yonder to the U’s last outstanding 1st rounder: Ryan Braun

Braun:

Fr: .364/.435/.665 17Hrs, 57K, 28BB (62 gp)
So: .335/.439/.606 10Hrs, 34K, 24BB (45 gp)
Jr: .388/.471/.726 18Hrs, 39K, 33BB (58 gp)

Alonso:

Fr: .295/.373/.492 10Hrs, 37K, 32BB (66 gp)
So: .376/.519/.705 18Hrs, 31K, 64BB (61 gp)
Jr: .370/.530/.767 21Hrs, 30K, 69BB (58 gp)

For those who suggest that Alonso doesn't have 30 HR power, what differentiates him from Braun in that respect?

edabbs44
06-06-2008, 08:16 PM
For those who suggest that Alonso doesn't have 30 HR power, what differentiates him from Braun in that respect?

Projection?

NorrisHopper30
06-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Int. walk to Alonso with 2 on in the 5th inning.

The_jbh
06-07-2008, 01:39 PM
1.) If he's the #1 player LEFT on the Reds draft board, I quibble with their rankings, but I guess I understand. If he was the #1 overall player on the Reds draft board, a lot of people need to be fired.

2.) I understand that it takes longer for baseball players to develop and contribute than football or basketball players -- I've been following the sport long enough to know that.

Still, when you're a team like the Reds (not financially limitless), you have to factor in things like fast-tracked players when determining where to commit valuable dollars of team money.

3.) I'm just making an educated guess, but I doubt that Dunn's "market value" is for a 3 year deal -- especially when most prolific bats are commanding deals into the 6+ year range.

And if we maintain this attitude in regard to the draft, that is why we will continue to be losers. You take the best player available regardless of position. You take the guy you see best fit to succeed.

perhaps we resign Dunn and trade votto at some point. He was rumored in deals to the Orioles for Bedrard. I am sure other teams will covet him down the the road as well.

We are stockpiling talent. We'll work out the spots for the talent at the major league level when we cross that road.

Ps we aren't a small market team anymore. We rank 18th in the MLB, that is middle of the road. And our owner has shown hes willing to spend that cash when necessary.

Caveat Emperor
06-07-2008, 01:53 PM
We are stockpiling talent.

They played that song with Jim Bowden for a decade.

Except instead of no-field first baseman, it was 5-tool outfielders.

dougdirt
06-07-2008, 02:00 PM
They played that song with Jim Bowden for a decade.

Except instead of no-field first baseman, it was 5-tool outfielders.

Except the difference between Bowdens 5 tool outfielders and a good fielding first baseman (where do you keep getting that he is a no field 1b?) is that Alonso has baseball skills while Bowdens guys had athleticism with little actual baseball skills.

Caveat Emperor
06-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Except the difference between Bowdens 5 tool outfielders and a good fielding first baseman (where do you keep getting that he is a no field 1b?) is that Alonso has baseball skills while Bowdens guys had athleticism with little actual baseball skills.

As I just said in another thread, virtually every player in any team's organization other than the pitchers and catchers have the ability to be average to above-average fielding first basemen if you play them there.

Saying someone is a good first-baseman is less a compliment and more an assurance that you aren't drafting a DH. I don't get excited about that -- especially not with a Top 10 pick.

Honestly, I've said my piece about Alonso, and there's nothing more to say at this point. I'm not going to keep bagging on him before he even signs a deal. I wish him the best with the Reds and sincerely hope we don't look back 3 years from now and wish we'd drafted a pitcher or a middle infielder as I really fear we will.

lollipopcurve
06-07-2008, 02:06 PM
virtually every player in any team's organization other than the pitchers and catchers have the ability to be average to above-average fielding first basemen if you play them there.

Disagree. First basemen are infielders. Some outfielders would really struggle there, and little guys would be a liability.

Az. Reds Fan
06-07-2008, 02:12 PM
If you compare the scouting reports about their defensive prowess, they are very similar for Alonso and Smoak, both adequate at first. For some reason, some people on this board think Smoak is some slick fielding future gold glover while Alonso is slow moving sloth at first...not the case.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/reports.jsp?content=alonso

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/reports.jsp?content=smoak

dougdirt
06-07-2008, 02:17 PM
If you compare the scouting reports about their defensive prowess, they are very similar for Alonso and Smoak, both adequate at first. For some reason, some people on this board think Smoak is some slick fielding future gold glover while Alonso is slow moving sloth at first...not the case.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/reports.jsp?content=alonso

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/reports.jsp?content=smoak

Its because its Redszone. The Reds are always wrong.

redhawk61
06-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Its because its Redszone. The Reds are always wrong.

so true, If Tim Beckham had slipped somehow all the way to 7 and the Reds picked him up, there would be those who would be complaining for some reason

Dan
06-07-2008, 03:20 PM
After watching him Friday night in the game, I'm not complaining, that's for sure. This guy's got real bat speed, and when I saw him I saw a future Todd Helton. The Reds could do a lot worse.

Az. Reds Fan
06-07-2008, 05:07 PM
After watching him Friday night in the game, I'm not complaining, that's for sure. This guy's got real bat speed, and when I saw him I saw a future Todd Helton. The Reds could do a lot worse.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to compare him to Todd Helton, but he can hold his own at first...certainly no worse than Sean Casey

jmcclain19
06-07-2008, 06:48 PM
so true, If Tim Beckham had slipped somehow all the way to 7 and the Reds picked him up, there would be those who would be complaining for some reason

And Rightly so.

Mark my words - Tim Beckham will go down as one of the most overrated players in this draft class.

And the Rays are in a perfect position now to take a risk like that.

Red Daddy
06-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I think Todd Helton is a good comparison. I like this Yonder guy. I've seen interviews with him and game videos and stats. The guy has been great and has improved as a hitter every year and has been healthy. He's got great bat speed and a great eye with few strikeouts. What else could you want??? I guess time will tell if the Reds made a mistake or not, until then, Yonder Alonso is one of my new favorite players in all of baseball!!!!

I did see too where he said he could play other positions, I don't know about that though. He's not bad for a first baseman.

There is no reason to not like this guy at this time.

Red Daddy
06-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Just say Yonder get a hit for Miami. He hit an up and in pitch the other way into left field!!!

redhawk61
06-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Just say Yonder get a hit for Miami. He hit an up and in pitch the other way into left field!!!

and it wasn't something that was off the handle either he got that with the meat of the bat

NorrisHopper30
06-07-2008, 08:49 PM
And Rightly so.

Mark my words - Tim Beckham will go down as one of the most overrated players in this draft class.

And the Rays are in a perfect position now to take a risk like that.

Gordon is the overrated one :D.

Screwball
06-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Projection?

How would he not project well? Besides the insanely good numbers, he's got good size (6'2", 215 lbs.), quick bat speed, and a great make-up. Plus, he's already shown he can rake with wood bats.

edabbs44
06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
How would he not project well? Besides the insanely good numbers, he's got good size (6'2", 215 lbs.), quick bat speed, and a great make-up. Plus, he's already shown he can rake with wood bats.

Not my projection...just saying why someone would think that he isn't a 30 HR guy even though he has similar college numbers as Braun.

BoxingRed
06-10-2008, 09:32 AM

I actually see a lot more Travis Hafner than Todd Helton in Alonzo's build and swing.

cincyinco
06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
I actually see a lot more Travis Hafner than Todd Helton in Alonzo's build and swing.

Couldn't agree more! I see the same thing myself. I wouldn't mind a good version of Trafis Hafner one bit.

11larkin11
06-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I'll take a mix of Hafner/Helton/Pujols anyday :)

Blitz Dorsey
06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
He better start hitting the HGH now if he has any chance of catching Pujols. Pujols can go right into Tony LaRussa's PED lab in LaRussa's basement and load up any time he wants. It really gives the Cardinals' hitters an unfair edge. The place is even called the "Big Mac Basement."

(I keed, I keed... I think.)

BuckeyeRedleg
06-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Pre-2007 Hafner would be great and I agree that he's a good comp for Alonso.

Blitz Dorsey
06-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Travis Hafner, yet another obvious PED user.

OnBaseMachine
06-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Here's a picture of Yonder wearing a Reds hat while signing a Reds helmet:

http://i24.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/f6/3f/fb33_1.JPG

Az. Reds Fan
06-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Did anyone see an interview with Miami's coach when he mentioned that Alonso was incredibly excited about the fact that once he signs, he will be presented his jersey by Tony Perez at home plate at GAB. Pretty cool thing to do by the Reds.