PDA

View Full Version : Put me in the anti-Hal McCoy crowd.

44Magnum
06-06-2008, 09:52 AM
This guy just needs to retire. He isn't a good read and he lets his personal feelings show through too much in his writing.

OesterPoster
06-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Ironic that you're criticizing a reporter for doing the exact thing you're doing with your post.

DTCromer
06-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Awwwwwww. Another guy who thinks we should coddle our athletes. Homer has probably been coddled since he was a young kid when everyone realize he was so good. Then when someone criticizes the guy, he turns into a big baby. No wonder he can't handle criticism. And no wonder he'll look to just be an average pitcher in the majors.

EddieMilner
06-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Awwwwwww. Another guy who thinks we should coddle our athletes. Homer has probably been coddled since he was a young kid when everyone realize he was so good. Then when someone criticizes the guy, he turns into a big baby. No wonder he can't handle criticism. And no wonder he'll look to just be an average pitcher in the majors.

he pitched better than average yesterday. That was a stacked lineup and he had 2 ER through 6.1 innings with only 89 pitches. I will take that from any "average" pitcher every fifth day.

JayBruce4HOF
06-06-2008, 10:35 AM

Why aren't you a professional scout making the big bucks since you can forecast a pitcher's entire career while he's only 22 years old? :rolleyes:

Orodle
06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
If you dont want personal feelings from an article then just read a stat line.

levydl
06-06-2008, 03:05 PM
If you dont want personal feelings from an article then just read a stat line.

Are you a hard postmodernist? There's only stats and opinion, nothing in between? Writing that only so and so many Phils hit the ball hard off Bailey, or that Bailey threw a bunch of first pitch strikes, or that he seemed to be locating his fastball, or that his curve wasn't breaking very much, or that he hit 94 on the gun 5 times, that's not reporting? He's a freaking beat writer, not a columnist.

Keystone12
06-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Are you a hard postmodernist? .

I don't think I've ever heard that accusation leveled in the Sun Deck before. Huzzah!

44Magnum
06-06-2008, 03:43 PM
He's a freaking beat writer, not a columnist.

Bingo!

Carin4Narron
06-06-2008, 03:56 PM
This guy just needs to retire. He isn't a good read and he lets his personal feelings show through too much in his writing. So you can't handle the truth/opinion about a guy who has been around the Reds organization for 35 plus years. Go follow another team that their media treats them with kid gloves.

HalMorrisRules
06-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Bingo nothing. Most of the comments that have gotten people all worked up occurred in his blog, not his game reports. Isn't the entire idea of a blog supposed to be a person can write their personal thoughts and opinions on a variety of topics? When C. Trent was still a daily beat reporter, he wrote about the same types of things that he still does now that he is not a beat reporter. Why is it when Hal does the same thing he is told to shut up and stick to being a reporter. You guys are as wrong as you can be when criticizing Hal for what he chooses to write about in his blog. If you dont like what he writes that is an entirely different thing but to say because he is a beat reporter he cant write other things are way off base.

Kingspoint
06-06-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm with you 44Magnum. He's way past his expiration date.

Blue
06-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Its mainly his blog writing.

Kingspoint
06-06-2008, 06:38 PM
I used to love him.

Big Hurt
06-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I still do!

Ghosts of 1990
06-07-2008, 11:52 AM
As with every writer, Mccoy does some things great and does some things poorly.

I read him daily because he has a pulse on my favorite team like no other reporter. He knows small facts and intracasies about the Reds players because they allow him to be in the know more than anyone else because he's been doing it for a long time. I enjoy his small stores and anecdotes. He gives you a look at 'the lighter side' sometimes, and that is refreshing.

However, I will agree, his personal feelings are ridiculous sometimes. But what journalist isn't guilty of doing that?

gedred69
06-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm with you 44Magnum. He's way past his expiration date.

I'm guessing what you are saying is like, Hall of Famers should all be retired? Where does that leave Marty? Hmmmm, I must ponder this..

People who know a lot more than any of us, elected Hal McCoy to the HOF. (Doubtful any of us on Redszone will get there).

Kingspoint
06-07-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm guessing what you are saying is like, Hall of Famers should all be retired? Where does that leave Marty? Hmmmm, I must ponder this..

People who know a lot more than any of us, elected Hal McCoy to the HOF. (Doubtful any of us on Redszone will get there).

That's about it.

ChatterRed
06-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Let's be honest. I know more than any of you. ;)