PDA

View Full Version : Remembering 10 cent beer night in CLE

Chip R
06-06-2008, 11:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=beernight/080604&sportCat=mlb

Always Red
06-06-2008, 11:27 AM
As far as fiasco's goes, that was right up there with Disco Demolition Night, in Chicago (1979).

Cyclone792
06-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I was just commenting to a buddy last week while down at the Reds game that the Reds need to have their own beer night, maybe two bucks all you can drink. Line up the kegs in the concourses and fans can serve themselves, then hand them all a cup as they walk in the gate.

Oh, then watch the riot ensue.

;)

westofyou
06-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Good times.... next up remembering Drink and Drown at the Lighthouse Limited on William Howard Taft... $3.00 for as much beer as you could drink..... 3.2 beer, but beer nonetheless.

flyer85
06-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I read it yesterday ... a great read. Lt. Martin led the charge.

Remembering a another promotional stunt it brings to mind the quote

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Caseyfan21
06-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I was just commenting to a buddy last week while down at the Reds game that the Reds need to have their own beer night, maybe two bucks all you can drink. Line up the kegs in the concourses and fans can serve themselves, then hand them all a cup as they walk in the gate.

Oh, then watch the riot ensue.

;)

The whole $3 per beer deal on Friday nights out in center is pretty fun. Sad that is actually a deal. But as the Reds bat during the bottom of the first (deal ends at end of 1st inning) the fans up on the patio in line really get into it cheering loudly for hits and booing for outs. When we were at the Cleveland game Brandon Phillips hit the first inning homer and it was going nuts up there in line. :laugh:

Always Red
06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Good times.... next up remembering Drink and Drown at the Lighthouse Limited on William Howard Taft... $3.00 for as much beer as you could drink..... 3.2 beer, but beer nonetheless.

That remains the worst tasting, tepid swill I have ever had in my entire life.

And I love beer!

redsrule2500
06-06-2008, 12:19 PM
I'd buy 10 beers. Just cuz.

gonelong
06-06-2008, 12:37 PM

When I was at BGSU in 90 or so one of the dive bars had $.10 10oz beers for an hour on Thursday evenings. I think they opened at 6:00 PM. Me and my buddy would be waiting on the bartender to open the place up every Thursday. :D

GL

cumberlandreds
06-06-2008, 01:12 PM
I read it yesterday ... a great read. Lt. Martin led the charge.

Remembering a another promotional stunt it brings to mind the quote

Quote:
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

BTW,that episode of WKRP will be on WGN tonight at 8:30 pm.

vaticanplum
06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
My guess is that no one remembers 10-cent beer night in Cleveland.

:roll:

Cyclone792
06-06-2008, 02:46 PM
My favorite line from the article:

One enterprising fan threw lit firecrackers into the Rangers' bullpen like grenades.

Stop for a second and just picture that scenario.

OldRightHander
06-06-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm still laughing at the image of Martin blowing kisses at the crowd. If the incident would have stopped there, maybe it would have been more laughable, but it shouldn't have gone as far as it did.

REDREAD
06-06-2008, 03:41 PM
When I was at BGSU in 90 or so one of the dive bars had $.10 10oz beers for an hour on Thursday evenings. I think they opened at 6:00 PM. Me and my buddy would be waiting on the bartender to open the place up every Thursday. :D

GL

Best promotion I ever went to.. "It's a penny until you pee".. You were given plastic braclets when you came in... 1 cent beers until you lost your bracelet... they had guys standing by the bathroom with scissors.. so as soon as you went in to pee, you got your bracelet cut off... Great comedy as people tried to hold it in as long as possible..