PDA

View Full Version : Rangers DFA Ponson

klw
06-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Rangers DFA Ponson
The Dallas Morning News is reporting that the Rangers have designated Sidney Ponson for assignment for "disrespectful and adverse reactions to situations unbecoming of teammates."

Ponson, a non-roster invitee in spring training, was having a solid season for the Rangers with a 4-1 record in 9 starts and a 3.88 ERA. The Rangers have 10 days to trade Ponson.
Per www.mlbtraderumors.com

AmarilloRed
06-06-2008, 09:28 PM
It sounds like he had some problems with his teammates.Still, we might see what they would be willing to accept in a trade, as he was performing on the field.

RedlegJake
06-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Wow..he ticked somebody off...gotta find the story on this

BCubb2003
06-06-2008, 09:31 PM
"disrespectful and adverse reactions to situations unbecoming of teammates."

Wait, if the situations were unbecoming of teammates, I should hope he'd have disrespectful and adverse reactions to such behavior, or something.

AmarilloRed
06-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Rangers designate Ponson for assignment

07:48 PM CDT on Friday, June 6, 2008

Associated Press

ARLINGTON – Right-hander Sidney Ponson, who seemed to have his career back on track, was designated for assignment by the Texas Rangers in a surprise move prior to Friday night's game against the Tampa Bay Rays.

Texas general manager Jon Daniels was vague about the reasons for the decision, saying Ponson had been dumped "for disrespecting teammates and club personnel."

"I'm not going to get into details other than to say that we're clearly trying to put together a team here in the true sense of the word ... and based on recent comments and other such things, it was pretty clear that he didn't want to be part of that," Daniels said. "That's not something we're going to tolerate. We want guys who want to be here, guys who are going to pull for their teammates and be proud of the organization."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/060608dnspoponson.2e2175a.html?npc

Sounds like he had said negative things about both his teammates and team management. Under these circumstances they had no choice but to cut him loose.

Will M
06-06-2008, 09:44 PM
again, no

BCubb2003
06-06-2008, 09:55 PM
From mlb.com:

Daniels declined to discuss the specifics and Ponson was unavailable for comment, but team sources said Ponson was put on notice after creating a serious disturbance at the hotel bar in St. Petersburg during the team's last road trip. He was told that further problems would not be tolerated.

Two more incidents occurred this week. Ponson started with three days' rest on Wednesday against the Indians and allowed six runs in four innings. Only two were earned because of three errors committed behind him, and Ponson reacted furiously after being taken out. His actions were interpreted as "showing up" his teammates.

The second incident occurred when manager Ron Washington informed Ponson on Thursday that he would be pushed back in his next start so that Kevin Millwood could start Tuesday on his regular four days' rest. Ponson would have pitched on Wednesday on six days' rest. Ponson wasn't happy with that decision and made his feelings clear in a heated discussion with the manager.

That led the Rangers to the decision to drop Ponson before Friday's game with the Rays.

RedsManRick
06-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Good for the Rangers.

RedlegJake
06-06-2008, 10:11 PM
What a headcase. Blow your latest chance Sidney. Now teams will really be falling over to have you. Sad thing is, someone will. Hopefully not the Reds.

*BaseClogger*
06-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Whopee!!! :D

marcshoe
06-06-2008, 10:32 PM
For a while it seemed inevitable that he'd end up with the Reds (was that under O'Brien or Bowden?-I've blocked it out.) Somehow, the team avoided that disaster. Let's hope they continue to avoid.

oregonred
06-06-2008, 10:43 PM
He's destined to be a Washington National...

Joseph
06-06-2008, 11:09 PM

My thoughts exactly.

penantboundreds
06-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Definite National.

redsrule2500
06-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Well he needs to hurry up and find another team, he's on my fantasy!

mth123
06-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Maybe he resented Johnny Narron's presence.

Dan
06-07-2008, 11:01 AM

Soon as I'd seen he was DFA'd, this was my thought as well. Jimbo won't be able to resist.

Sea Ray
06-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Seriously, it sounds like he has a drinking problem.

mth123
06-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Seriously, it sounds like he has a drinking problem.

I seriously suspect that keeping his influence away from Josh Hamilton had something to do with the quick release. I don't think any team has a bigger stake in everyone being clean than Texas right now.

cincinnati chili
06-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I seriously suspect that keeping his influence away from Josh Hamilton had something to do with the quick release. I don't think any team has a bigger stake in everyone being clean than Texas right now.

For real? Sidney Ponson has the charisma of a deer tick. If anything's going to lead Hamilton back to the dark side, I suspect that it will be someone who teammates take a bit more seriously.

mth123
06-07-2008, 07:30 PM
For real? Sidney Ponson has the charisma of a deer tick. If anything's going to lead Hamilton back to the dark side, I suspect that it will be someone who teammates take a bit more seriously.

When the urge to "party" comes on, people with addiction problems aren't picky.

OldRightHander
06-08-2008, 12:21 AM
I sat in the stands watching him pitch a solid game in Arlington last week and I remember thinking, "Maybe this guy's gotten his act together." I guess not. It's a shame really. He's got the talent. Professional sports is littered with people like him who had the ability to have a very good career but squandered it with unwise choices.

vaticanplum
06-08-2008, 12:36 AM
I just want to take a moment to remind everyone that this person is a knight. We talk about Ken Griffey Junior every day on this board, and we talk about Sidney Ponson about once every three years, and only one of those people is a knight.

Carry on.

BCubb2003
06-08-2008, 02:22 AM
I just want to take a moment to remind everyone that this person is a knight. We talk about Ken Griffey Junior every day on this board, and we talk about Sidney Ponson about once every three years, and only one of those people is a knight.

Carry on.

A dark and stormy knight.

redsrule2500
06-08-2008, 02:40 AM
I sat in the stands watching him pitch a solid game in Arlington last week and I remember thinking, "Maybe this guy's gotten his act together." I guess not. It's a shame really. He's got the talent. Professional sports is littered with people like him who had the ability to have a very good career but squandered it with unwise choices.

I think his million dollar contracts will serve him just fine, honestly...

Mentioning people like Maurice Clarrett is justified here though!!!

cincinnati chili
06-08-2008, 05:09 AM

Carry on.

http://www.citv.co.uk/static/sirgad1.jpg

Heath
06-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Isn't he a Prince of Aruba or something.

You bet your bippy Ol' Leatherpants is doing the happy dance.

flyer85
06-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Seriously, it sounds like he has a drinking problem.IIRC, that has got him in trouble in the past.

REDREAD
06-09-2008, 01:26 PM

I don't think that was the issue. Hamilton deliberately doesn't go out with his teammates to avoid the temptation. Even if Mick Jagger and George Harrison were on the team, he wouldn't be tempted because he doesn't hang out with teammates.

AmarilloRed
06-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Ponson was released by the Rangers today after they were unable to trade him.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/06/believe-it-or-not-rangers-couldnt-trade.html

Benihana
06-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Maybe he could be our 5th starter for the rest of the year :evil:

membengal
06-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Well he needs to hurry up and find another team, he's on my fantasy!

dude, you desperately need better fantasies.

Sea Ray
06-16-2008, 10:09 PM
I wonder if the Yankees will give him a sniff.

blumj
06-16-2008, 10:33 PM
They tried him once already, a few years ago. It did not go well that time.

Mario-Rijo
06-16-2008, 11:32 PM

Didn't Jocketty already acquire him before as well? :eek:

alexad
06-16-2008, 11:58 PM
We a guy with some attitude on this team to get someone fired up!!
We need a 5th starter. Could he be any worse than what we have attempted. We have caught lightening in a bottle with the last Ranger, what the hey. The worst thing that could happen is he gets into it with Dusty and Dusty either swallows his toothpick or he Dusty stabs Ponson with his toothpick:)

vaticanplum
06-18-2008, 05:36 PM

And yet today the Yankees signed Ponson to a AAA deal. Tremendous.

Sea Ray
06-18-2008, 05:37 PM

Man, I'm good...;)

redsrule2500
06-18-2008, 05:49 PM
He'd be a lot better than our #5 situation currently, that's for sure.

klw
06-19-2008, 10:01 AM

Well they signed him, kind of makes me think they didn't sniff his breath first.