PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think Hairston has earned a future here?

LouisvilleCARDS
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
I like this guy. He's been on fire ever since he found out he's had a cracked rib the past couple years and had it heal. 3 for 5 tonight, I think this guy would be a solid LF or RF if Griffey and/or Dunn aren't back, he's a solid contact hitter even if he doesn't hit for power. Keep him around, he should have got Patterson's paycheck. :thumbup:

HalMorrisRules
06-06-2008, 09:40 PM
In spring training he kind of got lumped into the same category as Corey Patterson, that being one of "Dusty's boys." But after going to Louisville and waiting for his time, he has stepped out of Dusty's "shadow" and proven himself as a Reds regular. Is he a long term member? If Javy Valentin can stick around for a long time, Hairston has a chance too.

gilpdawg
06-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Sure, if he's the Hairston from 2003-2004. It's too soon to tell if he's THAT guy or not, or the sub-average player from the past few years. I think playing everyday for 600 ABs in a season his weaknesses would be exposed, but in a Freel type role, why not?

LouisvilleCARDS
06-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Sure, if he's the Hairston from 2003-2004. It's too soon to tell if he's THAT guy or not, or the sub-average player from the past few years. I think playing everyday for 600 ABs in a season his weaknesses would be exposed, but in a Freel type role, why not?

He apparently cracked a rib in an O's game like TWO years ago, and didn't know it. He just attributed it to getting older. Who knows what effect that's had on him. Now he's healthy and been tearing it up. Maybe he's back to his old self just because he's healed.

captainmorgan07
06-06-2008, 10:27 PM
If he continues to hit like this all year i dont' see why not. Now Im sure he's not going to continue this pace. He can play 2nd and SS as well as all 3 of spots and that's a very valuable bench player. Still has speed at his age and can swipe a few bases.

NarrowStairs
06-06-2008, 11:30 PM
He can take Freel's role over. Spell every outfield position , and 3B and 2B. But, when Keppinger comes back, I don't want to see Hairston EVER playing SS.

LexingtonLegend
06-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Hairston fits that mold of the "versatile player" that the reds have been high on for the last few years. They look for players that can play multiple positions and Hairston has done just that. If he continues to get on base with regularity and steal bases at a high clip like he has, I think that he sticks around for a few years. Like one of the previous posts says, he fits that Freel role well, and we've seemed to have found him plenty of playing time over the last 3 years. I'm a fan of the guy, I hope that we continues to get ABs when Keppinger gets back.

06-07-2008, 12:03 AM
He was traded for both Sammy Sosa and Phil Nevin, so he obviously was highly considered at some point. He has great pedigree and is clearly a "baseball" player, had it in his blood, literally.

I wouldn't mind the Reds signing him for next year to be the centerfielder and leadoff hitter. They are going to need one, even if they re-sign Dunn.

Now, clearly this was a Dusty pickup, so do you think that this one makes up for Patterson? Just curiously, would you rather have Patterson and Hairston, or neither?

NarrowStairs
06-07-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm not a fan of cheaters. Hairston is a cheater. Cut him loose.

06-07-2008, 01:58 AM
I'm not a fan of cheaters. Hairston is a cheater. Cut him loose.

He didn't cheat. He bought HGH with a presciption in 2004 (he actually denies it, but so does Clemens) when it was legal according to MLB rules. It was later added to a list of illegal drugs. There is no evidence that he used it or bought it after it was added to the list.

What he did was wrong, but it was not cheating.

Jr's Boy
06-07-2008, 02:07 AM
I like the guy in a super utility role such as Freel.I do like he has some fire in him and not afraid to show some emotion.

Maldez
06-07-2008, 02:21 AM
If Hairston can play at this current level all year it's a no-brainer. Pencil him into the lineup and throw away the pencil. He's not only hitting great right now, but he's playing with a fire and high energy that I love to see. It fits right in with the young guys like Votto and Bruce who are also out there every game burning for wins.

ChatterRed
06-07-2008, 02:46 AM
Yeah, Hairston's usage of HGH has really propelled him into the all-time HR leaders category. He's made millions because how much muscle he's put on and how much power he exhibits. :rolleyes: I'm sure they are plenty of players we will never hear about who possibly "tried" steroids or HGH, but didn't become regular users/abusers.....and clearly it had no impact on Hairston's ability or career. He's playing much better now than he ever is, and he's got to be clean.

I like the guy. Between Freel, Patterson, and Hairston, he's the only one that has produced. Freel is a nutcase and Patterson just stinks. When Keppinger comes back, I'd love to see Hairston as the everyday CFer. Next year's lineup:

CF Hairston
SS Keppinger
RF Bruce
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF RH power bat
3B EE
C Ross/Bako

Griffey012
06-07-2008, 10:23 PM
My favorite part of Hairston is his approach at the plate. With 2 strikes he has a really short quick stroke and chokes up on the bat. This allows him to battle at the plate when in a hole. It doesnt translate to hits or average but it makes him a more difficult out and makes the pitchers work before they get to Bruce, Griffey, and Dunn

SoTxRedsFan
06-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I think you have to bring back a guy that can play a passable OF, SS and 2B and isn't named Ryan Freel.

HeatherC1212
06-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Jerry has done a really great job for the Reds this year and if he can sustain even half the pace he's been going so far, I'd love to see him take over the Freel role next season. He's fast, he's a smart hitter, and he does play with a lot of fire during games. :)

TN Red Fan
06-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah, Hairston's usage of HGH has really propelled him into the all-time HR leaders category. He's made millions because how much muscle he's put on and how much power he exhibits. :rolleyes: I'm sure they are plenty of players we will never hear about who possibly "tried" steroids or HGH, but didn't become regular users/abusers.....and clearly it had no impact on Hairston's ability or career. He's playing much better now than he ever is, and he's got to be clean.

I like the guy. Between Freel, Patterson, and Hairston, he's the only one that has produced. Freel is a nutcase and Patterson just stinks. When Keppinger comes back, I'd love to see Hairston as the everyday CFer. Next year's lineup:

CF Hairston
SS Keppinger
RF Bruce
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF RH power bat
3B EE
C Ross/Bako

What does Jerry Hairston give you as a CF and leadoff hitter that Norris Hopper doesn't?

Hairston is older and this is the first year he's been more than a .250 hitter. Hopper's younger and has been hitting .310+ every year since 2005. If people don't believe Hopper could learn to hit at 25 years old, why believe Hairston can do it at 32?

Freel is the best of the three. He's owns a career .360 OBP vs. Hairston's .325. And he's done it for years in the majors, not the minors like Hopper.

NarrowStairs
06-08-2008, 06:02 PM

CF Hairston
SS Keppinger
RF Bruce
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF RH power bat
3B EE
C Ross/Bako

Why don't you study the effects of HGH before making such an ignorant comment. It improves bat speed, among other important elements of baseball success.

demas863
06-08-2008, 06:41 PM
I think you have to bring back a guy that can play a passable OF, SS and 2B and isn't named Ryan Freel.

Hairston = Freel + (Baseball Intelligence) - (Base running stupidity) + (Plate Discipline)

Hondo
06-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Lets get one thing straight. He is a Role Player... Anyone who thinks going to WAR and counting on him for 162 games is, well, nevermind... But He is a Role Player... I like his ability to play a variety of positions and his Speed is great... But he is a Role player... Not a starter... Just like Jeff keppinger... Hell of a Bench player there too... But everyone thinks he is the next Michael Young... Let me tell ya the Truth... Great Guy, Great Hitter, but not the Great Everyday Hitter that some make him out to be...

BLEEDS
06-09-2008, 10:35 AM
He would be a good stop-gap until we got a TRUE CF-er that can hit over .270 - heck I'd settle for .250 at this point with a .320 OBP...

If we don't resign Dunn, we might as well fill a whole roster of Hairston's, because this team would stink to high heaven and won't get anybody in the stands, so we'd have to lower our payroll.

We shall see. I would HOPE that signing a $46M closer would predicate you actually TRYING to field a competitive team - which usually doesn't include letting your best offensive producer walk out the door.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Jefferson24
06-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Next year's lineup:

CF Hairston
SS Keppinger
RF Bruce
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF RH power bat
3B EE
C Ross/Bako

Replace Ross/Bako with a real catcher and I could live with that line up depending on LF. I wish Dunn would sign a LTC and fill that spot for 4-5 more years.

hebroncougar
06-09-2008, 10:52 AM
While I HOPE Hairston can continue his terror, history, and age will work against him. I'd be satisfied if he can fit into a cheaper Ryan Freel, and go .270/.340 Him playing as a regular shows the Reds have glaring weaknesses. If he plays as a regular when Keppinger comes back, it will show our manager has glaring weaknesses.

Hondo
06-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Replace Ross/Bako with a real catcher and I could live with that line up depending on LF. I wish Dunn would sign a LTC and fill that spot for 4-5 more years.

My big splash for the offseason Wish List is that the Reds sign, and yes, overpay Jason Varitek to a 3 year deal to Catch for them this offseason... He is a leader, has some passion for the game, and would really help the young pitchers along...

Jefferson24
06-09-2008, 11:10 AM
My big splash for the offseason Wish List is that the Reds sign, and yes, overpay Jason Varitek to a 3 year deal to Catch for them this offseason... He is a leader, has some passion for the game, and would really help the young pitchers along...

If you sign Varitek and Dunn the owners are going to have to pony up some big dollars. I am more convinced now more that ever that this team will have to spend to win. Some teams seem to be able to win without the huge payrolls but the Reds aren't one of those teams. I would like to see that payroll push up to 100 million.

HeatherC1212
06-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I think Varitek is too old to be given a huge contract. Isn't he all ready well into his thirties?! For a catcher, especially for as long as he's been playing, that's insanity to give him a huge contract IMO. :eek:

Hondo
06-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I think Varitek is too old to be given a huge contract. Isn't he all ready well into his thirties?! For a catcher, especially for as long as he's been playing, that's insanity to give him a huge contract IMO. :eek:

There are "null" for Catchers out there next Offseason... and the guy is a Winner... Has Grit...

Although Red Sox Nation will probably Sign this guy and it will probably be a Moot point. He is there Captain...

Orodle
06-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Why don't you study the effects of HGH before making such an ignorant comment. It improves bat speed, among other important elements of baseball success.

I'm not saying it doesnt but there is no study that says it improved batspeed either. There are also no studies done that have found it to have ANY negative effect on the human body.

RSNtransplant
06-09-2008, 06:08 PM
CF Hairston
SS Keppinger
RF Bruce
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF RH power bat
3B EE
C Ross/Bako

If Reds get a RH power bat why would you still bat BP 4th?

PedroBourbon
06-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Hairston clearly fills in voids as a utility player at this point a la Ryan Freel or Chris Stynes in the past. He's got experience as well, disciplined at the plate and doesn't get picked off base like Freel. Hopper has a better bat, but is basically an outfielder only. If we can keep Patterson and Valentin on the payroll, we can keep Hairston. He's not an everyday player but could be valuable in the utility role or producing when we have player's on the DL. Keep him for now, we'll see what what the future holds.