PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen, Last 10 Games - Wow

RedFanAlways1966
06-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Small sample size... smoke and mirrors... luck? Or credit due?!?

* 34 IP, 16 H, 2 ER, 23 K, 14 BB, 2 HR
>> 0.53 ERA, 0.88 WHIP.

oregonred
06-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Nope, good starting pitching and guys used in the right situation

Affedldt, Burton, Bray and Cordero are more than solid and have been used correctly the last couple of weeks. As clueless as Baker is on constructing a lineup he's finally figured out the pen situation.

Reds1
06-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Nope, good starting pitching and guys used in the right situation

Affedldt, Burton, Bray and Cordero are more than solid and have been used correctly the last couple of weeks. As clueless as Baker is on constructing a lineup he's finally figured out the pen situation.

Add Lincoln and even Weathers - all have done a great job. Even the Magic man is perfect in over 2 innings and 3 outtings. What's going on. Throw in a rookie just sent down after a perfect outting. Right now the pitching is great. If they get offense even close to what they got tonight look out for a nice run.

RedLegSuperStar
06-06-2008, 11:15 PM
six wins to show for that..

still not bad.. and now this team is just two games from .500

BCubb2003
06-06-2008, 11:21 PM
If the starters leave in the sixth, the bullpen starts to falter.

paulrichjr
06-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Everyone knew that Wayne couldn't build a bullpen. It just proves that as soon as he was fired Walt could build a good pen in less than 1/4 of the season. :D

Kc61
06-06-2008, 11:36 PM
I think there are a number of factors. To me, the key one is Jared Burton. And Dusty's handling of the pen has helped too.

Burton has eaten a lot of key innings very effectively. When you add in Cordero, who is generally excellent, you have a lot of key bullpen situations covered. This leaves the other guys to handle less crucial situations.

So tonight, Weathers is used in a low pressure spot and handles it well. Right now that's where he belongs.

Bray's good work against lefties has also been important. He's moved into the "high leveraged" spot against lefties, and deserves it. Affeldt has fallen off some, so now pitches in more low pressure spots, like tonight.

Again, as I've been saying, Baker deserves enormous credit for this. He has moved guys like Burton and Bray into more critical roles as they've become better. He's moved guys like Weathers and Affeldt into less key roles as they've struggled a bit. He doesn't overuse guys, except occasionally Cordero who should be able to handle it.

Joseph
06-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Its the Majewski factor.

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2008, 01:29 AM
I think there are a number of factors. To me, the key one is Jared Burton. And Dusty's handling of the pen has helped too.

Burton has eaten a lot of key innings very effectively. When you add in Cordero, who is generally excellent, you have a lot of key bullpen situations covered. This leaves the other guys to handle less crucial situations.

So tonight, Weathers is used in a low pressure spot and handles it well. Right now that's where he belongs.

Bray's good work against lefties has also been important. He's moved into the "high leveraged" spot against lefties, and deserves it. Affeldt has fallen off some, so now pitches in more low pressure spots, like tonight.

Again, as I've been saying, Baker deserves enormous credit for this. He has moved guys like Burton and Bray into more critical roles as they've become better. He's moved guys like Weathers and Affeldt into less key roles as they've struggled a bit. He doesn't overuse guys, except occasionally Cordero who should be able to handle it.

I agree. One thing that Dusty has been great at is managing the pen.

MrCinatit
06-07-2008, 02:16 AM
I've not seen as many games this year as I have in previous years because of my work schedule, but in the ones I have seen, it seems that Dusty has a much quicker trigger finger when it comes to a struggling pitcher than Narron did.
I seem to remember a game earlier this year when Coffey was pitching, after only a couple of pitches, Baker didn't like what he saw and signaled down to the bullpen to get someone warming up.