PDA

View Full Version : Reds draft WV quarterback Pat White in 49th round....

_Sir_Charles_
06-06-2008, 11:50 PM
per C-Trent.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

Day 2 is complete. In all, the Reds took 36 college players and 13 high school players. I think I counted 28 pitchers.

The one name that popped out to me, the Reds 49th round pick. Really, it's that Pat White.

thorn
06-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Comming out of HS, White was a 4th round draft pick by the Angles, Rich Rod made him a offer to paly QB, so he turned them down.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Is this another word for "we don't wanna pay for this pick"? Pat White is likely going to make more in the NFL draft next year than he ever will in baseball.

Orodle
06-07-2008, 12:18 AM
White isnt going to play QB in the NFL is he? I think he would be moved to a different position.

LexingtonLegend
06-07-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm a Mountaineer fan, and I can't see Pat White ever playing in the NFL at any position. I don't think he's built well enough to switch to WR or even be a return man, like Randal El, etc. I just really can't see how he'd ever fit in. He's a "system" QB in morgantown, there's no system like that in the NFL. I love it that the reds took a chance on him, I'd love to see his 4.4 speed swiping bases in Cincy some day.

wvu-red-fan
06-07-2008, 01:01 AM
This is a wasted pick for this year unless they are allowed to or willing to sign him and wait on him to play his last year for the Mountaineers. I am not sure on all the rules as far as that goes.

I do not know if he will ever make it in the NFL as a QB, but I am sure he could stick at slot or wideout. If that does not work out, he has a rocket arm, great speed, and incredible leadership skills that would be welcomed in center field for any organization.

The word is that he might consider baseball when he is finished with his college football career. In fact he flirted with playing for WVU's baseball team this spring but decided to concentrate on spring football. If he does go after a baseball career, I hope it is with the Reds, because whatever that guy decides to do he will be a winner at it. That is what Pat White does.

Oh yeah...almost forgot...Pat White for Heisman! :beerme:

Homer Bailey
06-07-2008, 02:56 AM
True mountaineer here! Pat has said over and over again that he will be trying to go the NFL, so I don't really understand this pick. However, I love the fact that the Reds have his rights! Anyone now for how long?

Lets GOOOOOOOOOO

MOUNTAINEERS!

mroby85
06-07-2008, 04:17 AM
hope he doesn't have a problem with his non-throwing hand to the point that he can't suck it up for his team with a trip to the world series on the line ;)

Homer Bailey
06-07-2008, 01:11 PM
hope he doesn't have a problem with his non-throwing hand to the point that he can't suck it up for his team with a trip to the world series on the line ;)

Because it's really smart to have a running quarterback play with a dislocated thumb when you have a proven back up? Have you ever dislocated a thumb? Do you know how bad that hurts? Please don't get me started on that.

_Sir_Charles_
06-07-2008, 01:28 PM
LOL. You know what I just noticed on that you tube video of Pat White that C-trent put up....the espn bottom line running at the bottom of the video....

"MLB: Mairiners exercise option on Eddie Guardado"
"MLB: Reds CEO Carl Lindner agrees to sell controlling interest of team to group of Cincinnati buisinessmen led by Robert Castellini."

Don't ask me why I was looking at the bottom line. No idea. :O)

mroby85
06-07-2008, 01:54 PM
He was okay to play the last drive of the game, and why would it not be smart to let a quarterback play that usually runs the ball that has a dislocated thumb on his non-throwing hand? WV's proven backup wasn't able to put up any points on pittsburgh, so i find it hard to believe that he was too proven.

Ghosts of 1990
06-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Wasted pick imo

redhawk61
06-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Wasted pick imo

Yes b/c a pick in the 49th round needs to be a sure thing.

Slyder
06-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Rich Rod got outcoached by Dave Wannstedt thats all that should be said about that awful game.

Pat's a great athlete, he won't be given a chance to play QB short of WVU going to an NFL system and Pat setting all kinds of records passing. Even then, he weighs 185 probably soaking wet, he'd have way too many durability concerns.

If Pat wants to give baseball a try AFTER he leads the Mountaineers as a senior I have no problems with that. But leave him alone until then.

How long would the reds have to sign Pat to a contract?

Griffey012
06-07-2008, 05:08 PM
this pick was wasted on an exceptional athlete who apparently at one time was a stud baseball player in high school. He probably has more potential than anyone else they could pick in the 49th round. Even though that potential is an absolute longshot...nevertheless its fun seeing a name like that on our draft board.

UC_Ken
06-07-2008, 06:22 PM
If Pat wants to give baseball a try AFTER he leads the Mountaineers as a senior I have no problems with that. But leave him alone until then.

For selfish reasons I'd prefer he gives baseball a try immediately. Open up the vault Bob. White needs to pull a Drew Henson.;)

DTCromer
06-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Do we really have fans dumb enough to believe a 49th round pick was a wasted pick?

Homer Bailey
06-07-2008, 08:27 PM
He was okay to play the last drive of the game, and why would it not be smart to let a quarterback play that usually runs the ball that has a dislocated thumb on his non-throwing hand? WV's proven backup wasn't able to put up any points on pittsburgh, so i find it hard to believe that he was too proven.

He came out because the backup had been proven to lead the team to points, if you actually watched them play as opposed to being an armchair coach. When he struggled against the Pitt D, RR got desperate and put White back in the game ice cold.

mroby85
06-07-2008, 09:41 PM
He came out because the backup had been proven to lead the team to points, if you actually watched them play as opposed to being an armchair coach. When he struggled against the Pitt D, RR got desperate and put White back in the game ice cold.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, but the bottom line that can't be argued is WV lost to a team they definitely shouldn't have, and with a trip to the title game on the line, pat white bailed on them when he could have played.

Homer Bailey
06-08-2008, 02:11 AM
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, but the bottom line that can't be argued is WV lost to a team they definitely shouldn't have, and with a trip to the title game on the line, pat white bailed on them when he could have played.

He was heavily criticized for not coming out the year before against USF when he sprained his ankle, so I had no problem with a guy coming out with a dislocated thumb. It's not like it was a bruise.

But blowing the game? Yeah they did do that. I was there. I've never been so heartbroken in my life.

Big Hurt
06-08-2008, 11:17 AM
The old adage that defense needs to be strong "up the middle" holds true for us. I'm not sure that the Georgia SS was what we needed, but this team really needs a defensive stalwart at SS. A SS's range and arm is very important and something neither Kepp or Hairston has. Jay Bruce will be a good corner outfielder but we need to address CF very soon, if not yesterday. This is especially important as the Reds' CF plays between two statues. Finally, we need a catcher who can call good games and keep runners at bay. We do not have such a creature in our organization, right now. I believe this completed draft was full of potential, but I don't know if it will translate into what we really need. The big Cuban first baseman is a luxury, IMO. We have needs and those are on defense - especially "up the middle".