PDA

View Full Version : What Are Advanced Scouts?

Spring~Fields
06-08-2008, 06:32 PM
What are advanced scouts?

What are their responsibilities?

Do the Reds have very good advanced scouts?

Who uses the advanced scouts information?

Who makes the decisions on what to use from the information from advanced scouts?

Who calles the pitches for the Reds, are they good at it?

Wheelhouse
06-08-2008, 07:09 PM
The term is actually "Advance Scouts," and they, very simply, scout out in advance the teams you will play in the near future for the purposes of developing a strategy. They are distinguished from "Talent Scouts" or "Minor League Scouts" who prepare reports on players to possibly acquire.

bucksfan2
06-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Are advance scouts kind of fading away? I mean they were important say 10+ years ago when the video fotage of every game wasn't available. Now every team will have access to every opponent's video. They will have access to pretty much an entier season worth of games. It seems to me that the days of advance scouts traveling to each future opponent's games are over. I would assume that the future for advance scouts is just breaking down tape over and over again.

jojo
06-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Nothing beats sitting at the park and viewing a guy from multiple angles.

redsmetz
06-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Nothing beats sitting at the park and viewing a guy from multiple angles.

Not to mention seeing the entirety of what's going on in the field; where players are positioned, how they react to fielding situations; baserunning, leads by runners, etc. Just seeing the video only gives you, I would think, a small fraction of everything that can be scouted.