PDA

View Full Version : Why did Hairston just get pulled?

TC81190
06-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Injury?

TheBigLebowski
06-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I was wondering the same...

captainmorgan07
06-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Has to be. Im guessing prolly something to do with the legs. He beat out and infield hit and stole 2 bases. Maybe a hamstring. Maybe it's the heat that's bothering him. No official word yet. Nvm just heard sprained left thumb is the reason hairston left the game.

Homer Bailey
06-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Per Yahoo:

CINCINNATI SHORTSTOP JERRY HAIRSTON JR. LEFT THE GAME IN THE BOTTOM OF THE FIRST INNING WITH A LEFT THUMB INJURY

06-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Jammed his thumb sliding into third in the first inning, according to Grande.

Homer Bailey
06-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Fractured thumb for Hairston...

The curse of the SS position. Good thing we didn't draft Beckham.

Homer Bailey
06-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Don't say Cantu doesn't kill the Reds.... Hairston broke the thumb by sliding into Cantu. Ironic huh...

ChatterRed
06-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Fractured left thumb. He's headed to the disabled list per the announcers on FSO.

highheat11
06-09-2008, 08:33 PM
I hope this doesn't cause Kepp to be rushed back and make the knee worse...

thorn
06-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Who do we bring up till Kepp is back, we need someone capable of playing SS for a week just in case.

Homer Bailey
06-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Who the heck is going to lead off? Bruce?

Fullboat
06-09-2008, 08:42 PM
broken Wrist/Or fingers is the worst injury for a hitter.

ChatterRed
06-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Todd Frazier?

JUST KIDDING PEOPLE!

LouisvilleCARDS
06-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Janish to start at short every game until Keppinger gets back, Phillips as emergency SS. Dunno what else to do.

captainmorgan07
06-09-2008, 08:51 PM
The baseball gods have not been kind to reds shorstops this season. Janish starts to till kepps back. Who they'll bring up your guess is as good as mine.

FlightRick
06-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Obviously, once Keppinger is back, the situation clears itself up a bit (Janish just stays up a bit longer than we expected)... but I'm downright bamboozled as to what we'll see in the next 4-7 days until Keppinger is cleared..

Right now, our 40-man roster doesn't contain a suitable replacement for Hairston, so we're talking about some serious shuffling required here (unless we just add a pitcher and go with a short bench till Keppinger is ready; or unless we want to add another outfielder instead of a UTIL/IF, in which case, we could call up Dickerson).

On top of having to find a short-term replacement for Hairston (do we rush Valaika?) and place him on the 40-man, rumors persist that we're already setting aside a 40-man spot for signing Yonder Alonso. So there's a trickle-down effect to this injury that even influences our recent draft.

Curiouser and curiouser.....

Rick

06-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Louis Bolivar is the Bat's SS, and he makes the most sense to call up for a week. He could be easily dropped off the 40 man roster when Kepp is ready. It's doubtful Alonso will sign before then.

durl
06-10-2008, 08:45 AM
I thought this is why kids are taught to slide FEET first rather than diving and exposing their hands to injuries. We can't blame "fate" on this one...just bad technique.

highheat11
06-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I thought this is why kids are taught to slide FEET first rather than diving and exposing their hands to injuries. We can't blame "fate" on this one...just bad technique.

When is the last time you saw somebody slide feet first on a stolen base attempt??

TheOnlyRedsFan
06-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Votto did it a few days ago.....and was thrown out.

durl
06-10-2008, 12:05 PM
There have actually been many studies done to determine which technique is faster. Of the ones I've seen, they've determined that head-first is essentially no faster than feet-first. One study reported that head-first could actually slow the slide because the torso can create a larger area of resistance against the ground.

Head-first allows a player to use their hands freely to reach for the bag or around the tag, but most players just dive straight in as they would with their feet.

It's similar to when a player dives into first base on a close play. You'll actually cross the bag faster if you just run through it.

Kingspoint
06-10-2008, 06:43 PM
You'd think this would be the thread that has the "official" injury report, but I don't see it.

Anyone have one?

Kingspoint
06-10-2008, 06:45 PM
MIAMI -- The Reds have lost another shortstop to injury.
Jerry Hairston fractured his left thumb while stealing second base in the first inning of Monday's game vs. the Marlins. Hairston led off with an infield single and stole second with Ken Griffey Jr. batting. Hairston also swiped third base, where he was standing when Griffey hit his 600th career home run.

Before the bottom the first, Hairston was replaced defensively by rookie Paul Janish.

X-rays confirmed the fracture, which will likely mean a trip to the disabled list. Hairston is the third Reds shortstop to get hurt this season. Alex Gonzalez came down with a compression fracture in his left knee during Spring Training. Gonzalez's replacement, Jeff Keppinger, suffered a fractured left kneecap when he fouled a pitch off his leg on May 13.

"They said anywhere from two to three, maybe four weeks," Hairston said. "Hopefully it's two. I finally feel really comfortable getting a chance to play every day, leading off. But hey, I'll just come back, pick up right where I left off, and that's all I can do."

Keppinger starts a rehabilitation assignment this week at Class A Sarasota and is considered close to returning to the club.

Still, losing Hairston is a big blow. Batting .336 with one home run and 14 RBIs in 40 games, he recently emerged as the best leadoff hitter Cincinnati has had this season.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Kingspoint
06-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Unbelievable. I can't believe the SS position for the REDS and how quickly they're going down.

It was only a couple days ago that Baker said and this is a paraphrase, "Unfortunately, these things always have a way of working themselves out", when speaking about what he's going to do with the problem he was going to have in a couple of weeks by having too many shortstops.