PDA

View Full Version : Hairston fractures thumb, placed on DL

redsrule2500
06-09-2008, 09:33 PM
This is terrible! SS is becoming a cursed position....

How long will he be out??? Any ideas?

I guess the one saving grace is Kepp should be back soon....

HumnHilghtFreel
06-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Grande just said on the tv broadcast.

Who comes up from the farm now? I'm guessing Janish will get the majority of the starts until Kepp is ready.

AmarilloRed
06-09-2008, 09:34 PM
4-6 weeks is my suggestion. It is not good news when anything is fractured.

Cyclone792
06-09-2008, 09:36 PM
My guess is it'll be Luis Bolivar that comes up from Louisville, but I suppose there's an outside chance we could see Valaika up from Chattanooga. It might be interesting to take a look at the action in the minor leagues tonight to see if anybody gets yanked from a game.

kaldaniels
06-09-2008, 09:38 PM
My guess is it'll be Luis Bolivar that comes up from Louisville, but I suppose there's an outside chance we could see Valaika up from Chattanooga. It might be interesting to take a look at the action in the minor leagues tonight to see if anybody gets yanked from a game.

Is it safe to say Valaika is the Redszone nominee for the promotion?

Cyclone792
06-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Is it safe to say Valaika is the Redszone nominee for the promotion?

I'd probably just lean on Bolivar simply because I'd expect whoever comes up to primarily sit on the bench, and I'd rather have Valaika playing every day than sitting on the bench.

Then again, the counter to that is that if Keppinger is due back very shortly, it could be beneficial to give a guy like Valaika a quick taste of the majors for a week or so. I'd expect whoever comes up to go right back down when Keppinger is ready to come off the DL.

lollipopcurve
06-09-2008, 09:48 PM
stinks -- hope it's nondisplaced and he's back soon

LoganBuck
06-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Keppinger, bring him back, play Janish until Kepp is ready.

IslandRed
06-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I'd probably just lean on Bolivar simply because I'd expect whoever comes up to primarily sit on the bench, and I'd rather have Valaika playing every day than sitting on the bench.

Then again, the counter to that is that if Keppinger is due back very shortly, it could be beneficial to give a guy like Valaika a quick taste of the majors for a week or so. I'd expect whoever comes up to go right back down when Keppinger is ready to come off the DL.

If Keppinger is expected back soon I imagine they'd rather bring up someone like Bolivar, who can probably be outrighted back to Louisville when the time comes, instead of having to burn one of Valaika's options. At least we have an open spot on the 40 and this isn't going to punch someone's ticket to DFA Island.

UKFlounder
06-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Is Juan Castro available? :eek:

I hope that's not a banable statement.

Anyway, with the way our SS guys are going down, will anyone want the position?

Too bad about the injury

Cyclone792
06-09-2008, 09:54 PM
If Keppinger is expected back soon I imagine they'd rather bring up someone like Bolivar, who can probably be outrighted back to Louisville when the time comes, instead of having to burn one of Valaika's options. At least we have an open spot on the 40 and this isn't going to punch someone's ticket to DFA Island.

Yep that's the most likely scenario and the one I would prefer too.

Even though Norris Hopper is rehabbing now, he can always head to the 60-day DL if there was an absolute emergency for 40-man roster spots. Hopper hasn't appeared in a game since April 19th so he'd still be available as early as June 18ish if the Reds transferred him over to the 60-day.

deltachi8
06-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Jolbert Cabrera could play ss in a pinch or 2nd with Phillips sliding over in the event something happened to Janish.

He would also clear waivers easily when it was time to send him back.

flyer85
06-09-2008, 10:23 PM
time to give Valaika a look

Reds Fanatic
06-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Keppinger might be ready in a few days. They may just need someone to get them through the Cardinals series.

redsrule2500
06-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I was thinking even longer...Kepp coming back when?

AmarilloRed
06-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I was thinking even longer...Kepp coming back when?

Keppinger, who suffered a fractured left kneecap when he fouled a ball off his leg on May 13, is closest to returning. He ran the bases on Friday at the club's spring complex in Sarasota, Fla.

If Keppinger's knee responds well, he's expected to run the bases again on Saturday and could DH in an extended camp game on Sunday before starting a Minor League rehab assignment. He is on the 15-day disabled list and was originally slated to miss 4-6 weeks.

He will be starting a rehab assignment soon. No telling how long that will take.

11larkin11
06-09-2008, 11:38 PM
No one has mentioned Rosales. I know he has had a bad season is primarily seen as a 3B/1B, but he is a better option right now that Bolivar until Kep is back.

mbgrayson
06-09-2008, 11:44 PM
From Fays blog earlier:

Jeff Keppinger will DH and Norris Hopper will play in the outfield tonight for the Sarasota Reds. That begins their official rehab assignment. The Florida State League All-Star Break is this week end. My guess is Keppinger plays through Thursday and then get activated. Hopper will probably need more time since he's been out of action so long.

The Sarasota gain was PPD due to rain...lol.

medford
06-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Rosales, Valika, Bolivar... Who are 3 guys not on the 40 man roster. Unless Kepp can come back and work back into things on the major league level, my guess is they will add the player they care least about placing on waivers in a couple of days to a week when Kepp is back in the swing of things.

Danny Serafini
06-09-2008, 11:58 PM
This might sound a little odd, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's Andy Green. My thinking is that they'll want to add someone to the 40 man just long enough to cover this gap without Keppinger and then take him right off. There's no point in risking one of the younger prospects in that scenario since they might get claimed. An older guy like Green has a better chance of going unclaimed when sent back down, and even if some does claim him it's not a big deal.

Kc61
06-09-2008, 11:58 PM
My guess is Chris Dickerson will come up for three days. He is on the forty man roster so it's easy. Janish will play short; If Reds need to hit for Janish, then the double play combo will be Phillips to Phillips with Brandon at shortstop and Andy at second.

The Andy Green scenario is also possible, as is Bolivar. But since Chris is on the forty, and since it's only for three days, I figure Chris D will come up.

Blitz Dorsey
06-10-2008, 12:02 AM
This has been unbelivable how things have worked out at the shortstop position. Gonzalez goes down with a serious injury (and I remember Dusty was actually pretty dejected about it at first) however it turns out to be a blessing in disguise because Keppinger plays lights out for the first month+, a level that Gonzo never would have played at. However, then Kepp goes down, he's crushed by it at first, and Reds fans are left wondering what is going to happen next. The options are a journeyman with one career start at SS and a rookie who didn't hit a lick in the minors before this season. But the journeyman (Hairston) then goes on a one-month tear, hitting well over .300 and also doing damage on the basepaths. Defense wasn't stellar, but he never hurt the team with his glove, just like Kepp. And then Hairston goes down with a fractured thumb and once again the Reds look completely screwed at the SS position... if not for the one small detail that Keppinger is beginning a rehab assignment and is very close to returning to the Reds. The Beast at Kings Island thinks it's been a wild ride for the Reds' shortstops this season.

RedsManRick
06-10-2008, 12:08 AM
nm

AmarilloRed
06-10-2008, 12:34 AM
It will likely be Adam Rosales.

From Rotoworld:

Hairston was injured while sliding into second in the first of his two steals in the first inning. The Reds will likely call up Adam Rosales to serve as a backup infielder until Jeff Keppinger returns. Paul Janish figures to be the regular shortstop for at least a week.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB&filter_teams=CIN

Mario-Rijo
06-10-2008, 12:43 AM
My guess is Chris Dickerson will come up for three days. He is on the forty man roster so it's easy. Janish will play short; If Reds need to hit for Janish, then the double play combo will be Phillips to Phillips with Brandon at shortstop and Andy at second.

The Andy Green scenario is also possible, as is Bolivar. But since Chris is on the forty, and since it's only for three days, I figure Chris D will come up.

Yeah for whatever reason I think this is actually plausible. Plus Sean Henry could come up to AAA and Stubbs to AA for a quick look see for all of them. It's only a few days and BP could play SS if absolutely need be.

I wonder if Patterson can play SS? ;)

pahster
06-10-2008, 12:47 AM
I wonder if Patterson can play SS? ;)

How would he hit leadoff, then? :p:

AmarilloRed
06-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Hairston will be out 2-4 weeks.

From John Fay:

Hairston: 2 to 4 weeks
Posted by JohnFay at 6/9/2008 11:45 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Jerry Hairston Jr. said they told him he will miss between two and four weeks with a non-displaced fracture of the left thumb.

Hairston is an upbeat guy, so he put a positive spin on it, but he was a bit down.

"The only bring spot is I scored on Junior (Griffey's) 600th," he said. "But it's tough. I was really starting to feel comfortable leading off and playing every day again. It's a bump in the road. I'll be back."

Hairston was hitting .336 overall and .403 in 16 games in the leadoff spot.

As I mentioned on a previous post, I don't know who the Reds call up. It's got to be someone who can play short. I think Chris Valaika's a possibility. He's only played 31 games above Single-A and he's known more for his bat. The good news for the Reds in Jeff Keppinger will be ready in a matter of days.

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a5f8ef142-18e7-405a-a9d2-3cb0b78e7800&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Mario-Rijo
06-10-2008, 01:08 AM
How would he hit leadoff, then? :p:

Depends on how the dugout dice fall~ :D

Big Klu
06-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Being the shortstop for the Reds is becoming eerily similar to being the drummer for Spinal Tap. :rockband:

I'm guessing that Andy Green or Luis Bolivar are the likely candidates to replace Hairston on the roster until Keppinger is ready.

06-10-2008, 02:38 AM
Isn't Neifi Perez a Dusty Baker guy?:eek:

KronoRed
06-10-2008, 02:53 AM
Isn't Neifi Perez a Dusty Baker guy?:eek:

Maybe Dusty can suggest that to Walt and Walt can pass out laughing.

MrCinatit
06-10-2008, 03:08 AM
The Curse of Barry Larkin again rears its ugly head.
Bring back Barry, get rid of the curse.

Matt700wlw
06-10-2008, 10:18 AM
The real question is....WHO HITS LEADOFF?????

Heath
06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Dusty's getting nervous with all the kids, IMO - he'd probably stump for Cabrera.

Roselas would be a nice guy off the bench to play SS. There really isn't a back-up middle IF on the roster.

Degenerate39
06-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Janish better start wearing all the body armor he can find.

VR
06-10-2008, 11:06 AM
He'll be back 2-4 weeks. For you not familiar with the Reds Medical staff/ PR calendar, that means he should return August 31st.

Always Red
06-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Maybe Dusty can suggest that to Walt and Walt can pass out laughing.

And then Dusty goes over his head to Bob Cast, and Cast tells Walt to "get him signed"??

redsmetz
06-10-2008, 12:18 PM

Something like this?

http://www.twainquotes.com/baseballcatcher.gif

BTW, a point of interest, this is an illustration from the original version of Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and it was drawn by Daniel Carter Beard, Covington native and the founder of the Boy Scouts for whom the Big Mac bridge is named. I never knew.

RichRed
06-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Being the shortstop for the Reds is becoming eerily similar to being the drummer for Spinal Tap. :rockband:

That sounds eerily familiar.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1639227#post1639227

:)

oregonred
06-10-2008, 02:16 PM

And that's just from the inevitable verbal beatings he'll endure from Redszone as the starting SS for a week or two ;)

flyer85
06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
bring up Valaika for a few days. I have seen enough of Janish to realize that he is nothing more than average as a SS with the glove and has no power with the bat ... a career utility guy at best.

bucksfan2
06-10-2008, 02:33 PM
bring up Valaika for a few days. I have seen enough of Janish to realize that he is nothing more than average as a SS with the glove and has no power with the bat ... a career utility guy at best.

Valakia isn't on the 40 man is he? In all reality they will either bring up a guy on the 40 man or bring up a guy they don't care if they lose. If all goes well with Keppy this is a move that will be forced to cover 3-4 baseball games. No big deal. I roll the dice with Janish at SS and Brandon Phillips if all goes wrong.

flyer85
06-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Valakia isn't on the 40 man is he? In all reality they will either bring up a guy on the 40 man or bring up a guy they don't care if they lose. If all goes well with Keppy this is a move that will be forced to cover 3-4 baseball games. No big deal. I roll the dice with Janish at SS and Brandon Phillips if all goes wrong.if the Reds believe that Valaika is the SS of the future nothing wrong with giving him 4-5 games to get his feet wet and get an idea of what he is striving for.

The Reds have enough trash on the 40 man roster it shouldn't be an issue.

Cyclone792
06-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Valaika played the full game last night for Chattanooga so my guess is it isn't him. Hairston's injury was early enough in the game last night that I figure Valaika would have been pulled if the Reds had any intention on bringing him up.

We'll see though. Still no announcement, though. I figured we'd have heard something by now. The Reds may be trying to figure out internally who they care about least.

flyer85
06-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Valaika played the full game last night for Chattanooga so my guess is it isn't him. Hairston's injury was early enough in the game last night that I figure Valaika would have been pulled if the Reds had any intention on bringing him up.

We'll see though. Still no announcement, though. I figured we'd have heard something by now. The Reds may be trying to figure out internally who they care about least.the Reds don't have a SS option to bring up who is currently on the 40 man roster.

Cyclone792
06-10-2008, 02:48 PM
the Reds don't have a SS option to bring up who is currently on the 40 man roster.

..... which is why they're probably figuring out who they care about least given the risk of losing that player - or somebody currently on the 40-man for Valaika - once Keppinger returns.

Hopper to the 60-day DL is a temporary solution, but the Reds would still be back to where they are now if he's ready to come back in a week or two.

AmarilloRed
06-10-2008, 02:53 PM

We'll see though. Still no announcement, though. I figured we'd have heard something by now. The Reds may be trying to figure out internally who they care about least.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but you may not have seen it. Rotoworld suggests their is a high probability Adam Rosales will be the backup to Janish until Keppinger comes back.

The Reds will likely call up Adam Rosales to serve as a backup infielder until Jeff Keppinger returns. Paul Janish figures to be the regular shortstop for at least a week.

Hap
06-10-2008, 02:56 PM
felipe lopez and/or royce clayton and/or rich aurilia say hello

medford
06-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm surprised nothing has leaked out yet... They have to know by this point, even if you're bringing the kid up from Louisville, he'd need at least 3 hours to gather his things, place a couple of calls, get on the road, and arrive for at the stadium. If he found out now (2:00 est), he'd show up around 5:00 (right at rush hour non the less) for a 7:00 game. That's cutting it fairly close, though I doubt whomever gets the call tonight, will be riding the pine. Still it would be nice to get him some BP w/ the rest of the team so that he can get a feel for the stadium should he be pressed into duty or have to pinch hit later tonight.

KronoRed
06-10-2008, 02:57 PM

The axis of awful.

Jpup
06-10-2008, 02:58 PM

all old or just not very good. The Reds could find someone as a backup without much problem. Keppinger will be back soon enough.

bucksfan2
06-10-2008, 03:10 PM
if the Reds believe that Valaika is the SS of the future nothing wrong with giving him 4-5 games to get his feet wet and get an idea of what he is striving for.

The Reds have enough trash on the 40 man roster it shouldn't be an issue.

I just don't see the logic in moving someone off the 40 man in order to bring Valakia up to ride the pine for 3-4 games until Keppinger comes back. This also forces you to move Valakia to the 40 man which in return speeds up his timeframe in order to make it to the bigs. Even if there isn't a better option I don't risk losing someone for Valakia to ride the pine until thursday.

remdog
06-10-2008, 03:12 PM
if the Reds believe that Valaika is the SS of the future nothing wrong with giving him 4-5 games to get his feet wet and get an idea of what he is striving for.

I think that that would be exactly the wrong approach.

I always felt that the several times the Reds called up Gookie Dawkins and left him sitting on the bench hurt his development.

Would Dawkins made it as a MLB player? Maybe, maybe not. But, at the time, he was the #1 Reds prospect. Valaika isn't in that position.

Rem

flyer85
06-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I always felt that the several times the Reds called up Gookie Dawkins and left him sitting on the bench hurt his development.
I would not sit him on the bench, I'd let him play. Janish can stay in the role he is best suited for.

Mario-Rijo
06-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I think that that would be exactly the wrong approach.

Would Dawkins made it as a MLB player? Maybe, maybe not. But, at the time, he was the #1 Reds prospect. Valaika isn't in that position.

Rem

That says all kinds of bad things! :eek:

WebScorpion
06-11-2008, 07:49 PM
If we had drafted Gordon Beckham we could have tried him. :rolleyes: