PDA

View Full Version : Roster Moves Today

Joseph
06-10-2008, 02:18 PM
The Reds placed Jerry Hairston Jr on the 15 day DL and recalled from Louisville IF Jolbert Cabrera.

Gary Majewski was placed on the bereavement list [wife is having a baby] and recalled LHR Danny Herrera.

Mario-Rijo
06-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Cabrera huh, ehh.

Matt700wlw
06-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Congrats to Majewski and his wife!

Jpup
06-10-2008, 02:21 PM
I guess Jay will have to sit so the Reds have a leadoff hitter. ;)

Blimpie
06-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Having a child is categorized as "bereavement" :confused:

Can't they just say, "personal leave" ???

flyer85
06-10-2008, 02:26 PM
I guess Jay will have to sit so the Reds have a leadoff hitter. ;)say hello to Pablo Yanish ... the Reds new leadoff hitter.

fearofpopvol1
06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
They should bat Phillips leadoff during this time. I know he's not patient (though he has been better this year), but at least he won't ground into any double plays.

redsmetz
06-10-2008, 02:32 PM

I didn't think the bereavement started until they became teenagers?

Mario-Rijo
06-10-2008, 02:35 PM
They should bat Phillips leadoff during this time. I know he's not patient (though he has been better this year), but at least he won't ground into any double plays.

Sarcasm, is that you? :confused:

Blimpie
06-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I didn't think the bereavement started until they became teenagers?Werd.

flyer85
06-10-2008, 02:37 PM
They should bat Phillips leadoff during this time. I know he's not patient (though he has been better this year), but at least he won't ground into any double plays.thinking outside the box is not allowed.

Cyclone792
06-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Cabrera's a better bat than Bolivar, though I'm not going to necessarily want to see Cabrera ever play shortstop. He's more of a utility guy who can stand at the shortstop position, but it may be painful watching him play defense there.

Hopefully Keppinger's rehab goes smoothly and he's back in a week.

Sea Ray
06-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Cabrera's a better bat than Bolivar, though I'm not going to necessarily want to see Cabrera ever play shortstop. He's more of a utility guy who can stand at the shortstop position, but it may be painful watching him play defense there.

Hopefully Keppinger's rehab goes smoothly and he's back in a week.

I'm thinking his rehab schedule just got knocked up a gear. I look for him back after the Cardinals series unless he has a setback

SMcGavin
06-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Herrera! I didn't get to watch his first outing and was kicking myself afterward, I want to watch this kid pitch.

deltachi8
06-10-2008, 02:52 PM
i said this in the other thread on Harriston - if something happened where Janish could not go, Cabrera could play 2nd and Phillips slide to ss.

Spring~Fields
06-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Born: 12/08/1972
Bats: R
Throws: R

LOU .288 .340 .465 .805
AB 215 Hits 62 2B 16 3B 5 HR 4 RBI 30 SO 39

Have seen him on MILB stand in at various infield and outfield positions. Appeared to be filler to me. Guess he will do in a pinch.

11larkin11
06-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I really hope Herrerra doesn't have to go back down when Maj comes back. I want Maj back to prove what he was doing is the real him, but I would like Herrerra up as well. Hopefully we can make a trade for one of our pen guys or Lincoln goes.

RedsManRick
06-10-2008, 03:11 PM
What are the odds on Janish leading off today? I'll start them at 2:1.

jojo
06-10-2008, 03:15 PM
I didn't think the bereavement started until they became teenagers?

:D

:beerme:

Spring~Fields
06-10-2008, 03:17 PM
What are the odds on Janish leading off today? I'll start them at 2:1.

I'll put five across the board on Patterson to win, place and show up leading off.

I wouldn't mind a week of Phillips being crossed trained at leadoff to gain some bat control.

reds44
06-10-2008, 03:19 PM
IIRC, everytime Phillips has led off he loved it and he raked in that spot.

Phillips
Bruce
Griffey
Dunn
Encarnacion
Votto
Ross
Janish

REDREAD
06-10-2008, 03:19 PM

Maj must've realized that life as he knows it now is about to end :lol:

LincolnparkRed
06-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I'll put five across the board on Patterson to win, place and show up leading off.

I wouldn't mind a week of Phillips being crossed trained at leadoff to gain some bat control.

who sits with bruce, Dunn, Griffey with Patterson playing? I would think Griff plays no matter what.

REDREAD
06-10-2008, 03:21 PM

Where is Patterson going to play? As long as Jr is healthy, don't expect Patterson to start.

LoganBuck
06-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Where is Patterson going to play? As long as Jr is healthy, don't expect Patterson to start.

Rover?

Spring~Fields
06-10-2008, 03:28 PM

Oh thank you, I was having a moment of PTSD, Patterson traumatic stress disorder moment and had forgotten that respect takes precedence over speed. :)

REDREAD
06-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh thank you, I was having a moment of PTSD, Patterson traumatic stress disorder moment and had forgotten that respect takes precedence over speed. :)

:lol:.. that's ok.. Just pray we don't get an OF injury..

Joseph
06-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Phillips is slated for a day off today. I'm not sure if that changed with the injury to Hairston, but don't be surprised to see Andy Phillips in at 2B tonight and probably leading off.

Spring~Fields
06-10-2008, 03:33 PM
:lol:.. that's ok.. Just pray we don't get an OF injury..

Well you know that it has been reported that Dunn might have some arm problems, and Junior has that knee problem and of course Bruce went over the rail to catch that fly ball, might need a couple days off.............Oh, never mind, Dusty is too fast for me. :p:

Big Klu
06-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I like Brandon leading off, too--at least in the short term. My lineup would be:

B.Phillips 2b
Bruce cf
Griffey rf
Dunn lf
Encarnacion 3b
Votto 1b
Bako c
Janish ss
Bailey p

Spring~Fields
06-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I like Brandon leading off, too--at least in the short term. My lineup would be:

B.Phillips 2b
Bruce cf
Griffey rf
Dunn lf
Encarnacion 3b
Votto 1b
Bako c
Janish ss
Bailey p

I like that, that lineup, it could add some excitement for us fans especially if it had a good outcome.

lollipopcurve
06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I think the top 5 will go...

Phillips
Bruce
Griffey
EdE
Dunn

Unassisted
06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I didn't think the bereavement started until they became teenagers?Having a teenager in the house now, I'd have to say that it starts with the "terrible twos." :D

RedsManRick
06-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Assuming they're all playing, I'd be extremely surprised if Dusty did anything other than:

Janish
Bruce
Griffey
Phillips
Dunn
Votto
EE
Bako/Ross

reds44
06-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Bruce is leading off.

That's all I got so far.

reds44
06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
And here's the full lineup

Jay Bruce CF
Paul Janish SS
Ken Griffey Jr. RF
Brandon Phillips 2B
Adam Dunn LF
Joey Votto 1B
Edwin Encarnacion 3B
Paul Bako C
Homer Bailey P
vs. RH Mitchell Boggs

reds44
06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Check out how young that lineup is:
Bruce (21)
Janish (25)
Griffey (38)
Phillips (26)
Dunn (28)
Encarnacion (25)
Bako (35)
Bailey (22)

rotnoid
06-10-2008, 04:56 PM
thinking outside the box is not allowed.

Here's a super obscure reference.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51B33PHEZZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Manual know everything!

princeton
06-10-2008, 04:57 PM

not his baby ;)

reds44
06-10-2008, 04:59 PM
And some quotes.

* As for Bruce leading off, Baker said, it's "through the process of elimination."

* Good news for Jerry Hairston Jr. today. The break of his finger was "the best case scenario" Dr. Timothy Kremchek told him. He should be back in two weeks he said. He'll be taking batting practice in a week and continue to do everything else, because it's on his non-throwing hand.

* I asked Ken Griffey Jr. if he felt 600 was devalued by the questions surrounding the last two players to accomplish the feat. "600 is 600. I understand what's going and whatever people think, 600 is 600."

Griffey was asked if he wanted to return to the Reds next season and said, "That's not up to me. It's a two-way street. I can't control that." He did say that there's a "love-hate relationship" between him and the city and the city and him.

Griffey on Joe Nuxhall night tonight: "Joe is a big part of this city, not just Hamilton County or Nuxhall County, as some call it. This is his day. I'm glad I can be a part of it, but it's his day and his family's day."

Griffey on "being stuck" on 599 -- "A lot of people would like to be stuck on 599."

He said he wants to play as long as he's having fun and is able to play.

Video will be coming soon (limited, because according to MLB rules, I can only post 120 seconds.)

* Adam Dunn said the feeling at Dolphin Stadium was weird. "It wasn't how I pictured it -- packed house, elongated celebration. ... It was like he hit it at Ed Smith."

On 600 home runs: "It's like thinking about Bill Gates' money. It's mind-boggling."

Of course, I added, "it's like thinking about Ken Griffey Jr.'s money."

Dunn also joked about Paul Bako's night: "I could just see the headline, 'Bako hits 2 home runs, Griffey hits one for No. 600."

"I don't what was more unbelievable."

* I asked Dusty Baker if he thought he was cursed at shortstop.

"I don't believe in curses. I heard enough of that **** in Chicago."

flyer85
06-10-2008, 05:03 PM
BTW, Bruce is the new leadoff hitter ... Dusty just had to kepp "No Stick" Janish near the top(hitting 2nd). If Jay gets on base, Janish may get 2 or 3 sac bunts in the game.

Matt700wlw
06-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Check out how young that lineup is:
Bruce (21)
Janish (25)
Griffey (38)
Phillips (26)
Dunn (28)
Encarnacion (25)
Bako (35)
Bailey (22)

That damn Griffey skews the mean...;)

Will M
06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Hat was DFAed.
DL - Gonzo, Kep, Hairston, Freel & Hopper

that leaves us -
Ross or Bako
Javy :eek:
Andy Phillips :eek: :eek:
Jolbert Cabrera :eek: :eek: :eek:
Patterson :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

if this isn't the worst bench in MLB i'd be suprised

Sea Ray
06-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Griffey was asked if he wanted to return to the Reds next season and said, "That's not up to me. It's a two-way street. I can't control that." He did say that there's a "love-hate relationship" between him and the city and the city and him.

I really don't see what the city has ever done to him. He's made stupid statements like "they want me to fail" and I'm sure Reds fans have noticed that he refuses to do post game interviews on FSN-Ohio. All the while we (the fans of Cincinnati) appreciate him for what he has been as a Red: a declining superstar who has accomplished amazing things in this game.

Unassisted
06-10-2008, 05:36 PM
I really don't see what the city has ever done to him. He's made stupid statements like "they want me to fail" and I'm sure Reds fans have noticed that he refuses to do post game interviews on FSN-Ohio. All the while we (the fans of Cincinnati) appreciate him for what he has been as a Red: a declining superstar who has accomplished amazing things in this game.That quote made me angry, too. I have a feeling Cincinnati can look forward to more digs like that once Junior leaves. :thumbdown

Spring~Fields
06-10-2008, 05:37 PM
* As for Bruce leading off, Baker said, it's "through the process of elimination."

I never thought of the DL in quite that way before.

RedsManRick
06-10-2008, 05:38 PM
I wonder what Dusty's criteria were for his process of elimination? This is how I imagine it went:

Maybe I should lead off with Phillips. No, Dude is a clean up hitter. Maybe Dunn? HA! What am I thinking, that's an RBI guy right there. How about Votto? Wait, when I played, Garvey never led off; Couldn't possibly work. Janish? That's too much pressure for a young kid like that. Better bat him SS.. err second. Eddie Encarnacion? With THAT batting average? You crack me up, me. Junior? 600!? Dang, clearly our best hitter. I respect him too much to move him off #3. Not quite Hank Aaron though. Henry taught me everything I know. Back when I played. Did you know I played and we played the game the way is was meant to be played? Cause I did. With Hank Aaron. Bako? Hmmm... it would help split up the lefties... Oh wait, we got that Bruce kid. Yeah, he's hitting .400. And I'll be darned if he's not our CF. Perfect!!

Spring~Fields
06-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I wonder what Dusty's criteria were for his process of elimination? This is how I imagine it went:

Originally Posted by DustyBaker
Maybe I should lead off with Phillips. No, Dude is a clean up hitter. Maybe Dunn? HA! What am I thinking, that's an RBI guy right there. How about Votto? Wait, when I played, Garvey never led off; Couldn't possibly work. Janish? That's too much pressure for a young kid like that. Better bat him SS.. err second. Eddie Encarnacion? With THAT batting average? You crack me up, me. Junior? 600!? Dang, clearly our best hitter. I respect him too much to move him off #3. Not quite Hank Aaron though. Henry taught me everything I know. Back when I played. Did you know I played and we played the game the way is was meant to be played? Cause I did. With Hank Aaron. Bako? Hmmm... it would help split up the lefties... Oh wait, we got that Bruce kid. Yeah, he's hitting .400. And I'll be darned if he's not our CF. Perfect!!

Yeah but Dusty, Phillips has more "SPEED" than the young kid Bruce that you don't want to put to much pressure on, and speed is the number two reason behind respect, er um number 4 reason behind CF, SS, and respect for making out the batting order.

Matt700wlw
06-10-2008, 05:47 PM
BA never stopped him from using Patterson ;)

RedsManRick
06-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah but Dusty, Phillips has more "SPEED" than the young kid Bruce that you don't want to put to much pressure on, and speed is the number two reason behind respect, er um number 4 reason behind CF, SS, and respect for making out the batting order.

Dude, I don't think you understand. Bruce isn't old; He plays the game right way. Phillips IS a cleanup HITTER. He HITS and he does it in the CLEAN UP spot. I know he's fast, but he's too good of a hitter to bat up in the order. We need him to make things happen. Maybe if you played with Hank Aaron, like I did, you'd understand.

-Dusty

IslandRed
06-10-2008, 05:50 PM
It's the funniest thing... when Jay Bruce is playing center field, I suddenly don't mind Baker's fetish with making the center fielder his leadoff guy.

Spring~Fields
06-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Dude, I don't think you understand. Phillips IS a cleanup HITTER. He HITS and he does it in the CLEAN UP spot. I know he's fast, but he's too good of a hitter to bat up in the order. Maybe if you played with Hank Aaron, like I did, you'd understand.

-Dusty

Oh, :doh::doh: , I get it now Dusty, like you mean, like, "cleanup" like base clean up with a Phillips GIDP cleaning off the bases?

RedsManRick
06-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Oh, :doh::doh: , I get it now Dusty, like you mean, like, "cleanup" like base clean up with a Phillips GIDP cleaning off the bases?

Sorry, dude, gotta run. I've got a game to pla-- err, manage.

fearofpopvol1
06-10-2008, 06:34 PM
I don't really have a problem with Bruce leading off during these circumstances. The problem lies in having Janish in the 2 hole.

lollipopcurve
06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Lineup Lip™ in fine form tonight, folks. Watch those hernias!!