PDA

View Full Version : Where is Homer's Fastball?

Superdude
06-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Seriously...does anyone have a clue why Homer is throwing his fastball 90MPH? In 2006, he was hitting 96-98MPH and cranking out strikeouts like a machine. Is this the same pitcher I just watched pitch a whole game at barely average velocity? I'm not giving up on him, but is Homer going backwards?

dougdirt
06-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Homer worked 88-93 today with his fastball. I dont think he is hurt, but I do wonder how much his 'shortening of the stride is responsible for a loss in velocity.

cincrazy
06-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Homer worked 88-93 today with his fastball. I dont think he is hurt, but I do wonder how much his 'shortening of the stride is responsible for a loss in velocity.

I didn't see him hit 93. Not saying that you're lying, I'm sure he did or else you wouldn't say so, but the fact is even if he did, he's not doing it all that often. It's more in the 88-91 range with OCCASIONALY hitting 93, at least tonight anyways. I hope it's just shortening the stride and nothing physically.

westofyou
06-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Where is Homer's Fastball?

High and away?

RedsManRick
06-10-2008, 10:05 PM
And it had no movement. And he couldn't locate it. If he had his stuff, what exactly is the difference between the Homer Bailey of today and the Homer Bailey who dominated the minors and was considered by some one of the best pitching prospects in baseball? And if didn't have his stuff, where did it go? What I saw out there today was a guy who would have trouble giving Matt Belisle a run for his money.

reds44
06-10-2008, 10:06 PM
High and away?
Off the batters eye in CF.

dougdirt
06-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I didn't see him hit 93. Not saying that you're lying, I'm sure he did or else you wouldn't say so, but the fact is even if he did, he's not doing it all that often. It's more in the 88-91 range with OCCASIONALY hitting 93, at least tonight anyways. I hope it's just shortening the stride and nothing physically.
Pitch f/x had him between 88-93 on the night.

Highlifeman21
06-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Pitch f/x had him between 88-93 on the night.

How many did pitch f/x have him for above 91?

RFS62
06-10-2008, 10:14 PM
And it had no movement. And he couldn't locate it. If he had his stuff, what exactly is the difference between the Homer Bailey of today and the Homer Bailey who dominated the minors and was considered by some one of the best pitching prospects in baseball? And if didn't have his stuff, where did it go? What I saw out there today was a guy who would have trouble giving Matt Belisle a run for his money.

Couldn't agree more.

That's exactly what I was just telling a buddy. The loss of speed is disturbing, but the lack of movement is really killing him.

flyer85
06-10-2008, 10:24 PM
kinda looking like Phil Hughes when he pitched earlier this year.

Homer can't throw his off speed pitches for strikes. The Cards were just waiting on fastballs and laying off of everything else.

Will M
06-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Homer has fallen far. a 91 mph straightball with weak offspeed stuff doesn't cut it in the bigs. time for a Maloney tryout.

fearofpopvol1
06-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I was noticing the same thing. When I watched him pitch last year, he was regularly working in the 93-94 range with the fastball and occasionally dialing it up. The drop in velocity is a legitimate concern that needs evaluating immediately.

I will say, his changeup looked good, but the problem was, he rarely ever used it. He's still way too reliant on his fastball and not mixing in enough offspeed pitches.

He needs to be sent back down. He's still not ready.

Always Red
06-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Homer needs to be coached up, and he needs to listen and be coachable.

I'm not sure that the Reds have the coaching, and from what I have read, I am not sure Homer will listen. But there's nothing like getting your head kicked in, as Homer did tonight, to get your attention quickly!

toledodan
06-10-2008, 10:43 PM
heading to the seats?

redsfan4445
06-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I think Thompson will be up here shortly.. Homer didnt look dominating.. his fastball was on a tee for the Cards to hit..

Sea Ray
06-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I was noticing the same thing. When I watched him pitch last year, he was regularly working in the 93-94 range with the fastball and occasionally dialing it up. The drop in velocity is a legitimate concern that needs evaluating immediately.

I will say, his changeup looked good, but the problem was, he rarely ever used it. He's still way too reliant on his fastball and not mixing in enough offspeed pitches.

He needs to be sent back down. He's still not ready.

In his first outing a year ago he dialed it up in his last inning to 96 MPH and struck out that last hitter to the cheers of GABP. I don't think he could have done that tonight.

Why does Dusty and the coaches not notice this? He said in his postgame on FSN that Homer didn't lack velocity tonight. He sure did and yes he also lacked movement but I think he's always lacked movement.

He needs to get sent back down before he loses whatever confidence he has left. We have other options. He doesn't have to stay up here and get his head banged in.

If he doesn't pull it together soon I'd either trade him or move him to the pen.

Spitball
06-10-2008, 11:41 PM
His fastball is ordinary, but his curveball is pathetic. It rolls. It hangs. It is not ready for primetime.

He has miles to go with his secondary pitches. Batters can wait on that very hittable, straight, down the middle fastball because he doesn't have anything else. He can't hit his spots with that fastball. If he could at least locate it, he'd have a chance, but he is not even close.

SteelSD
06-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Bailey's fastball is what it always was- a pitch that was exposed with his move to AAA and the Show. Homer Bailey didn't project to be able to work effectively in the strike zone while tossing mid-90's offerings.

At that velocity, his command simply hasn't been there, even though one can cruise through the lower minors by being "effectively wild". But that doesn't play at higher levels when one's fastball has little movement. Couple that with obviously deficient breaking pitches and you have a guy who needs to dial the velocity down to a proper working level to keep his pitch counts low enough to get through even five full Innings. Problem is, that when you have no movement on your fastball, dialing down the velocity does nothing to help you. It's a real catch-22 with this kid.

Can't locate fastball at higher velocity? Check.

No movement on fastball? Check.

No plus breaking pitches? Check.

Is the result "Pitching to contact" awfulness? Check

dougdirt
06-11-2008, 01:49 AM
I think Thompson will be up here shortly.. Homer didnt look dominating.. his fastball was on a tee for the Cards to hit..

Lets really hope not. Thompson would get obliterated right now in MLB and I mean that. He gave up 4 absolute BOMBS in his last start in Louisville because his fastball was right over the middle of the plate. I like Thompson's potential and his future, but right now he needs to get some work in at Louisville.

icehole3
06-11-2008, 03:30 AM
who comes up because Bailey looks horrible?

fearofpopvol1
06-11-2008, 03:36 AM
I'd think Maloney might get the next chance.

red-in-la
06-11-2008, 04:45 AM
Homer wouldn't be the first pitcher the Reds managed to screw up.

jojo
06-11-2008, 05:55 AM

I'm not sure what all the Reds have done to tweak Homer's delivery but as a general rule anything done to increase command also negatively impacts velocity.

His development is an interesting thing to watch.

OldXOhio
06-11-2008, 07:01 AM
His development is an interesting thing to watch.

Indeed it is. I know the kid is still young, but with each new month, a little more of his shine comes off. If this keeps up, how long does the organization let him languish in AAA, knowing that he struggles at the big league level?

lollipopcurve
06-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Anybody who thinks Bailey is at the end of his development curve, if he stays healthy, is clueless. He is going to get physically stronger. He is going to learn from hundreds more innings before he turns 25. We already saw him throwing 95-96 last year. The changeup shows potential. He's experimenting with breaking pitches.

Long way to go. Good coaching will be critical. He is nowhere near where some of us hoped he would be, for sure. Last night was particularly discouraging for me. But, the positive thing, I think, is that this is clearly a kid who is working to learn -- to change himself into more of a pitcher. Whether in so doing he loses too much of the assets he came with -- power pitching, confidence -- is a big question for me right now.

Caveat Emperor
06-11-2008, 07:42 AM
At that velocity, his command simply hasn't been there, even though one can cruise through the lower minors by being "effectively wild".

It seems to work fairly well for Edinson Volquez -- though, admittedly, he's got great secondary offerings to keep the hitters off balance.

If Homer Bailey has to work at 89-92 to be effective, he's never going to make it as a major league pitcher. His off-speed and breaking pitches simply aren't deceptive enough to fool hitters into swinging, and they don't drop for strikes to keep hitters honest.

This kid either needs to learn to command his high-velocity stuff or he needs to be taught to throw his secondary offerings for strikes. I don't know that anyone in the Reds organization is up to the task -- and I certainly don't think Ted Power at Louisville is the answer either. They've gotta do something because they're in danger of washing his value out completely, both on the open market and to the team.

If I'm Walt Jocketty (and I'm obviously not) -- I'm on the phone to Leo Mazzone and offering him large sums of money to become Homer Bailey's new personal coach. Mazzone can keep his FOX gig on the weekends as long as he's with Homer the other 5 days a week.

redsmetz
06-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Anybody who thinks Bailey is at the end of his development curve, if he stays healthy, is clueless. He is going to get physically stronger. He is going to learn from hundreds more innings before he turns 25. We already saw him throwing 95-96 last year. The changeup shows potential. He's experimenting with breaking pitches.

Long way to go. Good coaching will be critical. He is nowhere near where some of us hoped we would be, for sure. Last night was particularly discouraging for me. But, the positive thing, I think, is that this is clearly a kid who is working to learn -- to change himself into more of a pitcher. Whether in so doing he loses too much of the assets he came with -- power pitching, confidence -- is a big question for me right now.

Excellent post. With another seemingly lost season (more or less), I think we're best served with both Homer Bailey and Johnny Cueto being left here and working on becoming big league pitchers. Nearly every pitcher coming up has taken their lumps. I'd like to see what we can do to move our youngsters to learning to be pitchers, not throwers (as Nuxhall often said) and giving us the long term benefit of those lessons learned now.

REDREAD
06-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Anybody who thinks Bailey is at the end of his development curve, if he stays healthy, is clueless. He is going to get physically stronger. He is going to learn from hundreds more innings before he turns 25. .

I agree that all hope is not lost with Homer. However, the Reds are going to have a serious problem due to a poor decision by Wayne. As I recall, Homer only gets 3 option years. This year, they've burned his second one. So that means that after the 2009 season, he will be out of options.

So that puts the pressure on him to be somewhat productive by 2010.. That makes him 24.. IMO, this is another huge reason why you just don't call up prospects just for the heck of it. You wait until they are ready and have a good shot at success. I forget what year Homer was drafted, but Wayne's premature callup of Homer forced him to be on an accelerated development plan.. Unless I am wrong, of course. I'm certainly not an expert, but I think if Wayne didn't call him up last year, we'd be able to keep him the minors another year.

Homer was drafted in 2004. He didn't get a full year of service time then:

In 2004, Bailey made his professional debut with the Gulf Coast Reds, a Rookie Class franchise in the Gulf Coast League. That season, Bailey appeared in six games, started three, and lost his only decision for the GCL Reds.

So, if I am right, the Reds could've keep him in the minors in 2010 if they didn't call him up in 2007..

flyer85
06-11-2008, 10:06 AM
His fastball is ordinary, but his curveball is pathetic. It rolls. It hangs. when I brought that up last year I was drummed out of threads.

jojo
06-11-2008, 10:09 AM
when I brought that up last year I was drummed out of threads.

As you should have been. Clearly you've jinxed him. :cool:

flyer85
06-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Homer has no "out" pitch. The more I watch him pitch the more I see bullpen written all over him. He could cut loose the fastball(I remember when he hit 98 in a 2 inning stint in the futures game) and not have to worry as much about command and being pitch efficient. I would also have him scrap the curve and work on a slider to go with the fastball and change.

flyer85
06-11-2008, 10:13 AM
As you should have been. Clearly you've jinxed him. :cool:call me Schleprock :p:

RedsManRick
06-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Homer has no "out" pitch. The more I watch him pitch the more I see bullpen written all over him. He could cut loose the fastball(I remember when he hit 98 in a 2 inning stint in the futures game) and not have to worry as much about command and being pitch efficient. I would also have him scrap the curve and work on a slider to go with the fastball and change.

Or he could keep the curve and be a RH Jeremy Affeldt...

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2008, 11:21 AM
I thought early on (just a few pitches) his Curve looked nice and tight with good bite and late break. And his changeup early on wasn't bad (again only once or twice) in fact on one pitch it was downright filthy. However his inconsistency with his command and lack of control coupled with his flat low 88-91 MPH FB (that early on he kept down) led to his demise. So as they say "show me it once and I know your capable" provides me with some little hope for him if he can deal with the inevitable return to Louisville.

That said I don't think he will ever become what he can become if he stays with us. One thing is the coaching which is pretty poor throughout and the other is the crowd was jumping on him after the 1st run given up, not good.

REDREAD
06-11-2008, 11:22 AM

And that's not really a bad thing. If he could become a plus reliever (perhaps a setup man that could go two innings), that adds a lot of value.

Really, at this point, I'd like the Reds to send him back to AAA. I don't think he's going to learn better or faster up here. He had a relatively weak month in AAA prior to the callup. I guess I'm ok with giving him 2-3 more starts up here, but Homer should've never been called up in the first place. I realize the Reds were in a bad spot, but it made more sense just to recall Belisle and let him get smacked around, while Homer still works on his development.

flyer85
06-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Or he could keep the curve and be a RH Jeremy Affeldt...if only he had a curve like Affeldt ... I have seen little evidence that his curve is a plus pitch.

jojo
06-11-2008, 11:51 AM
if only he had a curve like Affeldt ... I have seen little evidence that his curve is a plus pitch.

Is it too late for Homer to learn how to pitch left-handed? :cool:

flyer85
06-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Really, at this point, I'd like the Reds to send him back to AAA.and put him in relief and if he looks good they can bring him back after the break. Wainwright was able to refine his stuff while being extremely valuable in the year he spent pitching out of the Cardinals bullpen. Homer has a good arm, his current approach seems to be wasting it.

KoryMac5
06-11-2008, 11:59 AM
These terrible Bailey auditions have killed any chance of dealing him at the break. Why the Reds continue to bring him up before he is ready is beyond me. You would think the coaches in AAA would see the same things that we all saw last night and advise against bringing him up.

Caveat Emperor
06-11-2008, 11:59 AM
And that's not really a bad thing. If he could become a plus reliever (perhaps a setup man that could go two innings), that adds a lot of value.

It'd add value, but it'd still represent a gigantic disappointment if the great Homer Bailey became a middle reliever after being a top-10 pick in the draft.

It amazes me how so many people could be so wrong about this kid.

NJReds
06-11-2008, 12:08 PM
It amazes me how so many people could be so wrong about this kid.

There's a long list of players from the top of the MLB draft that a lot of people have been wrong about.

LincolnparkRed
06-11-2008, 12:12 PM
There's a long list of players from the top of the MLB draft that a lot of people have been wrong about.

In every sport but especially it seems in baseball

flyer85
06-11-2008, 12:13 PM
There's a long list of players from the top of the MLB draft that a lot of people have been wrong about.they currently have a set of three young arms that look as if they could be special(Volquez, Cueto, Thompson). If Bailey turns into a solid back end reliever I would not consider it a failure. He does need to find a niche where he can contribute in the majors and I do not like the current version of Bailey that has traded velocity for supposedly greater command.

Sea Ray
06-11-2008, 12:25 PM
If he is now a 91-92 MPH pitcher then he is essentially Bronson Arroyo without the movement. Arroyo throws 91 on a good day. Why take a guy who does the unusual (threw 98 mph) and make him do the usual, (throw 91)? I don't get that and I'm not convinced that he was coached to throw 91 in order to regain control. If you throw 91 then I'd expect to see a sinker ball pitcher and a guy with some mean cutters.

One thing we can all agree on is he's going to get pounded if they continue to throw him out there the way he is now. I'd like to see how he works out of the pen. I bet his velocity would go up and possibly his confidence as well. Eric Gagne was considered a "head case" as a starter but blossomed as a reliever. Forget that he was a high draft pick. We just need him to contribute in the best way possible at this point. Too bad if he's not a Lincecum or a Kazmir. Be glad he's not Chris Gruler.

RedsManRick
06-11-2008, 12:28 PM
if only he had a curve like Affeldt ... I have seen little evidence that his curve is a plus pitch.

Well, he flashed one last year. But it was tighter and had a bit more velocity. Of course, he had no clue where it was going -- often only 58 feet. Yesterday I didn't see any major league caliber pitches.

Rojo
06-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I agree that all hope is not lost with Homer. However, the Reds are going to have a serious problem due to a poor decision by Wayne. As I recall, Homer only gets 3 option years. This year, they've burned his second one. So that means that after the 2009 season, he will be out of options.

Wayne burned the first one, "they" burned the second. You funny.

princeton
06-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I haven't decided if Jocketty made a really dumb decision in bringing up an obviously overmatched prospect, or if he made a very realistic decision by re-defining that prospect as a journeyman and treating him as such.

best guy for finding velocity that disappeared: Don Gullett.

Falls City Beer
06-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I haven't decided if Jocketty made a really dumb decision in bringing up an obviously overmatched prospect, or if he made a very realistic decision by re-defining that prospect as a journeyman and treating him as such.

best guy for finding velocity that disappeared: Don Gullett.

Jocketty doesn't wring his hands over prospects with warts. He throws you in the deep end and sees what you can do.

Then he moves on to bigger and better things.

Caveat Emperor
06-11-2008, 01:01 PM

Yeah, except most publications were rating this guy highly as recently as last season.

Predraft I forgive.

LoganBuck
06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
No one is pointing out that Homer was run out in Philadelphia on short rest. He pitched Last Sunday PM for Louisville, and a Thursday day game in Philadelphia, and he was obviously spent at the end of that start, and then his regular turn last night.

What have we learned about short rest for the pitchers on this team? It is a BAD idea that has negative consequences for the following starts. Homer Bailey is not immune, neither is Aaron Harang.

REDREAD
06-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Wayne burned the first one, "they" burned the second. You funny.

I think once the clock is set in motion, Homer's second option year is burned this year even if he spends the entire time in AAA. In other words, at the end of spring training, he was optioned down. So, his second year is burned unless he spends all year with the ML club.

There was no intent to decieve or make Walt look good.
If I am wrong on the option rule, then yes, Walt was dumb to call him up this year.. But I'm 99% sure that Homer's option got burned when he started in AAA this year..

REDREAD
06-11-2008, 01:15 PM

That's a good point..

Since you know more about the option rules than me, can you clarify if Homer's second option would've been burned if he spent the entire year in AAA?

LoganBuck
06-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I think once the clock is set in motion, Homer's second option year is burned this year even if he spends the entire time in AAA. In other words, at the end of spring training, he was optioned down. So, his second year is burned unless he spends all year with the ML club.

There was no intent to decieve or make Walt look good.
If I am wrong on the option rule, then yes, Walt was dumb to call him up this year.. But I'm 99% sure that Homer's option got burned when he started in AAA this year..

100% Correct

RedsManRick
06-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Jocketty doesn't wring his hands over prospects with warts. He throws you in the deep end and sees what you can do.

Then he moves on to bigger and better things.

This is perhaps my favorite thing about Jocketty's handling of youth. For years the Reds have been fickle with prospects, jerking them around, never giving them sufficient opportunity to fail or succeed definitively.

While I'm wary of the Brian Reith situations, I tend to agree with aggressive promotion. We'd be in a better position today if we knew what to make of guys like Matt Belisle, Todd Coffey, and Gary Majewski.

Bailey is still young and I'm not jumping to any conclusions. But the reality is that he's got to get it figured out and it doesn't seem like he's growing as a pitcher right now.

lollipopcurve
06-11-2008, 01:34 PM
We'd be in a better position today if we knew what to make of guys like Matt Belisle, Todd Coffey, and Gary Majewski.

I think we know what to make of all 3 of these guys -- not a whole lot.

fearofpopvol1
06-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I think Bailey has a fine changeup. He just doesn't use it enough.

RedsManRick
06-11-2008, 02:02 PM
I think we know what to make of all 3 of these guys -- not a whole lot.

And we would've known it a year ago and moved forward accordingly had they been given sufficient opportunity (understanding that health played a role as well).

I'd rather a guy stink for a whole year, get rid of him, and move on to another option than let him stink in 2 month increments for 3 seasons, all the while taking up a roster spot somewhere and pretending like he might be part of the solution -- preventing us from appropriately addressing the issue.

lollipopcurve
06-11-2008, 02:05 PM
And we would've known it a year ago and moved forward accordingly had they been given sufficient opportunity (understanding that health played a role as well).

Coffey was with the Reds for multiple full seasons. Belisle had all of last year in the rotation. Where's the problem?

Jpup
06-11-2008, 02:59 PM
He's 22. The Reds have continued to mess with his mechanics and I think they had screwed him up. He was successful until they tried to change him. Let him be Homer Bailey instead of trying to turn him into something he isn't.

REDREAD
06-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Coffey was with the Reds for multiple full seasons. Belisle had all of last year in the rotation. Where's the problem?

I think what RedManRick is saying is that the Reds entered the season not really sure what they had with Maj, Belisle, Coffey, etc..

Or maybe they did know what they had with them but decided not to upgrade from them.

I agree that should be one of the goals this year.. figure out which of the tweener guys are keepers and which are chaff.. Discard the chaff and try to upgrade it.

In all fairness though, I had no problem with keeping Maj in AAA for depth. I also didn't have a problem giving Coffey his one year deal. Coffey had shown enough promise to warrant bringing back this year (given our lack of depth).

Belisle, I just didn't understand, but I never really cared for him as a starter.
But I guess the plan was to have Fogg be the #5 starter and for Belisle to be emergency AAA depth, but then when Fogg imploded, they were forced to try Belisle again.

M2
06-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Bailey's become the poster boy for why you shouldn't rush pitchers. He doesn't have the stuff right now to do the job and that's been obviously throughout 2007 and 2008.

My take is the kid threw so many curves in youth that his arm is in shock. He always relied on that pitch even when he was in high school. Now his heater is losing velocity and lacks movement and he can't snap the curve as well as he used to. That's what happens when you abuse a growing body. The minor league annals are full of kids who came in throwing smoke at 18, but lost that ability in their 20s.

Perhaps Bailey can still be a good pitcher, but the Reds need to stop treating him like a phenom. He is not a phenom. That's not going to happen. The real question is whether he can be a good pitcher in two, three, maybe four years. That would mean the Reds need to send him to the minors and not call him up again until roughly 2010. Give him time to recover some of what he's lost or at least learn to work with what he's got.

I doubt they have that sort of patience, which means they'll probably trade him and Bailey will get to prove himself a stop or three down the line.

Sea Ray
06-12-2008, 08:28 AM
I don't know M2, Bailey's rep wasn't that he was throwing a lot of curveballs, it was that he had so much success blowing people away with his FB that he didn't throw other pitches enough to develop them. I don't have a good answer for why he's lost velocity. It's either an injury or a mechanical thing. I do know the majors is not the place for a pitcher who's throwing like he is

REDREAD
06-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Bailey's become the poster boy for why you shouldn't rush pitchers. He doesn't have the stuff right now to do the job and that's been obviously throughout 2007 and 2008.

Yes, you made a very compelling arguement about this when they called Bailey up. Good call.

The sad thing is that there really wasn't a "need" to rush him. Belisle could've been called back up to fill in for Fogg. IMO, this was a mistake by Walt.
Someone else brought up the point that maybe Walt has already decided Homer is as good as he's going to get. After some further thought, what would it hurt Homer to just spend this year and next in AAA, and then re-evaluated him. His recent AAA numbers made it pretty clear that he wasn't going to do that well at the ML level..

If nothing else, we've reminded all the other teams how the former #1 pitching prospect has slipped. At worse, we are damaging him every time we run him out there.

I really don't think Homer learned much from that beating he took last night.

I doubt they have that sort of patience, which means they'll probably trade him and Bailey will get to prove himself a stop or three down the line.

And they trade him for pennies on the dollar for what he could've been worth in 2005-2006.