PDA

View Full Version : Griffey in LF??

fearofpopvol1
06-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Just a random thought here...

There's speculation that after this season ends, the Reds aren't going to resign Dunn. There's also speculation that the Reds aren't going to pay $16.5 million to keep Griffey around another year. Bruce is more fit for RF and is likely to take over there. I've read that Griffey would likely take a discount to stay in Cincinnati. I don't believe that Griffey wants to go to the AL, at least yet, where he'll almost certainly be casted as a DH.

So my question is, do you think the Reds may try to to put Griffey in LF next year (if there is a discount involved and if Dunn is not offered an extension)?

Before you attempt to criticize, I'm not advocating this idea, but it's just a random thought. It just seems like it could be possible. He'd obviously be less of a liability out in LF and while Dunn is more valuable than Griffey to this team, he's also likely to command more money thus making him less likely to be around. Of course, then there is that whole issue of getting Griffey to switch to LF (as if getting him to switch to RF wasn't hard enough). His health and what kind of season he finishes with obviously would have an impact on things. Griffey will still be worth plenty of tickets next year, too.

Thoughts?

KronoRed
06-11-2008, 02:30 AM
I could see that happening, in fact I think JR has a better shot at being back then Dunn, that said I don't see either being back, JR has a 4 million dollar buyout so even if he takes a discount it'll still be a big chunk of change.

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2008, 02:34 AM
I think regardless of where you stand on him returning in general, the tricky thing will be buying him out and then finding a salary that both sides would deem fair. I mean if you have already paid him the buyout, what is it 4 million? How much more is feasible? If he isn't feeling hurt by the notion that you have disrespected him by buying him out in the 1st place.

fearofpopvol1
06-11-2008, 02:36 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the buyout could be figured into his salary next year. Maybe the terms don't permit that, but I could've sworn I read/heard that somewhere.

I don't think he'd feel disrespected. I don't think he's dumb. He knows that the situation is going to be tricky.

red-in-la
06-11-2008, 04:43 AM
JR is toast......he shouldn't be playing for any team right now. I wish the whole Griffey circus could find another home to haunt.

jojo
06-11-2008, 05:59 AM
My best guess is Jr retires.

rotnoid
06-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Funny. I actually had this same thought yesterday. I think if it were to happen, it's going to have to happen in the form of an extension before the season ends (think of the carnage on Redszone should that happen). That way the buyout is never even in play. I'm not even going to speculate on dollars or years. I'm not necessarily even advocating the idea. But of the 2, I think Griffey is much more likely to be back than Dunner. And I disagree that he retires. Doesn't sound like he's ready to go just yet.

Far East
06-11-2008, 08:23 AM
One slight defensive advantage of Griffey in LF would be that is the glove on Junior's right hand would allow him to better reach out for fly balls in foul territory near or against the wall ... and the shorter throw to 3B, preventing some 1st to 3rd base running on singles.

Chip R
06-11-2008, 09:17 AM
I think there would be a great deal of angst if they tried to move Jr. to LF. It wasn't exactly easy to get him to move to RF. Plus, if he moves to LF, he's going to have to be involved in many more plays than he is in RF considering most hitters are RH and pull the ball. There will be a lot more diving and sliding and running into walls and, as a result, more opportunity for him to get hurt. I love him as much as the next guy but he's a DH right now and the NL does not have a DH.

REDREAD
06-11-2008, 11:29 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the buyout could be figured into his salary next year. Maybe the terms don't permit that, but I could've sworn I read/heard that somewhere.

I don't think he'd feel disrespected. I don't think he's dumb. He knows that the situation is going to be tricky.

I'm not an expert, but I don't see a way out of the buyout unless Jr gets a high salary next year. I believe that the rules say that you can't cut a guy's salary more than 20% without him going through FA.. So I think we are stuck here. I think they'd have to pay the buyout, and then let Jr go FA, and then sign him that way. With the defered money involved, I'm not sure how they figure out the 20% pay cut..

In any event, I don't think there's a way out of the buyout that saves the Reds money..

MartyFan
06-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Just a random thought here...

There's speculation that after this season ends, the Reds aren't going to resign Dunn. There's also speculation that the Reds aren't going to pay $16.5 million to keep Griffey around another year. Bruce is more fit for RF and is likely to take over there. I've read that Griffey would likely take a discount to stay in Cincinnati. I don't believe that Griffey wants to go to the AL, at least yet, where he'll almost certainly be casted as a DH.

So my question is, do you think the Reds may try to to put Griffey in LF next year (if there is a discount involved and if Dunn is not offered an extension)?

Before you attempt to criticize, I'm not advocating this idea, but it's just a random thought. It just seems like it could be possible. He'd obviously be less of a liability out in LF and while Dunn is more valuable than Griffey to this team, he's also likely to command more money thus making him less likely to be around. Of course, then there is that whole issue of getting Griffey to switch to LF (as if getting him to switch to RF wasn't hard enough). His health and what kind of season he finishes with obviously would have an impact on things. Griffey will still be worth plenty of tickets next year, too.

Thoughts?

Before we traded Hamilton I was thinking that Dunn would be traded this last off season for pitching, Bruce would be called up and Junior would move to LF...I really wish that would have happened...not that I don't like Dunn, I just really loved Hamilton in the OF and he and Bruce out there together would have been INSANE!!! Plus LF is an easier spot to fill...especially if you have the production of Bruce and Hamilton.

Of course that didn't materialize...all that said, I don't think your idea is all that crazy.

KronoRed
06-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Dunn wasn't going to bring us Volquez, you have to pay with something good to get something good.

flyer85
06-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Before we traded Hamilton I was thinking that Dunn would be traded this last off season for pitchingthat fact that Dunn couldn't have been traded last offseason doesn't slow folks down.

blumj
06-11-2008, 02:16 PM
that fact that Dunn couldn't have been traded last offseason doesn't slow folks down.

Any player can be traded.

flyer85
06-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Any player can be traded.The odds of that with Dunn were almost zero. Team had picked up his option(at a discount to what he could have gotten in a 1 year deal on the open market) which included a full no-trade. Under those circumstances I see no way Dunn would have approved a trade under any circumstances. Reds have had plenty of opportunities to trade Dunn, however, last season was not one of them.

RedsManRick
06-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Moving Junior to LF only exacerbates the weakness of his bat. RF, LF, DH, Junior just isn't a very good baseball player anymore. Once you move to the left end of the defensive spectrum, you better be able to OPS over .800 or your goose is cooked. He's going to have to go on a big power streak to convince me otherwise.

Even then, I'd only keep him around in LF if he resigned for something like a $4M base on top of his buyout, perhaps with a games played incentive thrown in.