PDA

View Full Version : Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

44Magnum
06-11-2008, 10:03 AM
In MLB, veterans usually lose it all at once. Weathers has clearly lost what he can never get back. He's right there with Jr. It's time for them to move on to the next stages of their life!

durl
06-11-2008, 10:47 AM
He's got a better W/L record than our ace.

OldRed1966
06-11-2008, 10:53 AM
He's got a better W/L record than our ace.

Volquez is 9-2. :p:

44Magnum
06-11-2008, 12:32 PM
W-L records for relievers can me misleading.

Bruce Sutter was 68-71
Lee Smith was 71-92
Jeff Reardon was 73-77

Hondo
06-11-2008, 12:36 PM
W-L records for relievers can me misleading.

Bruce Sutter was 68-71
Lee Smith was 71-92
Jeff Reardon was 73-77

3 guys in the History of the Game. Nice.

44Magnum
06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
No. They were the first 3 relievers I looked up. How many should I put up to prove W-L records can be misleading for relievers?

Coco Cordero is 28-28 (2-1 this season)

tommycash
06-11-2008, 01:26 PM
3 guys in the History of the Game. Nice.

Those 3 are 3 of the best relievers in the history of the game as well.

Fon Duc Tow
06-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Who would you replace Weathers with?

roby
06-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Those 3 are 3 of the best relievers in the history of the game as well.

And David Weathers ranks just above all three of them! :rolleyes:

durl
06-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Volquez is 9-2. :p:

I was referring (rather sarcastically, mind you) to Aaron Harang.

Big Hurt
06-11-2008, 02:17 PM
I agree. It's time to thank Weathers for his effort and attitutde and send him on his way. He allows a run in almost every brief appearance. His tank appears to be empty. Let's bring up Herrara or one of the relievers who are doing well in the minors. We can't take much more of Weathers.

redhawk61
06-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Who would you replace Weathers with?

Josh Roenicke

PedroBourbon
06-11-2008, 02:41 PM
I think Weathers has lost it, time to go. Reminds me of Danny Graves' collapse.

Jack Burton
06-11-2008, 05:55 PM
I agree his time has come, I didn't really like him last year either even though he did rack up some decent save #'s. Played with fire too much. Minimal stuff.

_Sir_Charles_
06-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I've been wanting Weathers gone since the middle of last year. His stuff is mediocre at best. He DOES have a knack for escaping from jams, but unfortunately those jams are usually of his own making. Everytime I see him come in I picture someone throwing gasoline on a campfire. BOOM! I'm not going to make comparisons, I'm just going to say that David simply doesn't fit into our team's long-term plans.

Are we out of it this year...technically no, realistically...most likely. This should be the year we get the young kids aclamated to the bigs. So, who's going to fill Weathers' shoes? Take your pick. Bray, Burton, Affeldt, Majewski (who's throwing better this year than he has in a long time), Roenicke, Herrera, and numerous other young arms in the minors. Not to mention the fact that we could go with fewer pitchers and more position players. 3 catchers...STILL? :confused:

After these injured players come back, who stays and who goes? I say we lose a pitcher and keep the position player. 12 should be the MAXIMUM number of pitchers we ever carry. We can easily survive with 11 IMO. 13 pitchers with 3 catchers is simply dumb player management.

bleedsred
06-11-2008, 06:09 PM
I think Weathers has lost it, time to go. Reminds me of Danny Graves' collapse.

Sorry, but Weathers hasn't even scratched the surface of being as bad as Danny Graves during his last season....not even close. I was at Graves last game as a Red and he pitched awful(would love to see that line again if anyone can dig it up).
I don't think Weathers is so bad that the Reds should just release the guy....pitch him in non-pressure situations and save some arms that will be back next season. Maybe he can get it together and he could be flipped for a couple low level prospects.

AccordinglyReds
06-14-2008, 07:08 PM
I was all about giving Weathers the benefit of the doubt in the early part of the season, but although I really like the guy, I cringe when he comes in, especially in pressure situations. His pitches don't fool anyone. Soon enough Roenicke needs to be brought up, and Weathers needs to either be DFA'ed or moved last in the depth chart. It's hard to count on someone with his caliber right now. :(

captainmorgan07
06-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Why send weathers away send away Dusty. Weathers gets a pass for me on the way he pitched last year. He basically was our bullpen last year. Guy pitched phenomenally. This year i still think his elbow is bothering him from his prior DL stint this season.

AccordinglyReds
06-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Why send weathers away send away Dusty. Weathers gets a pass for me on the way he pitched last year. He basically was our bullpen last year. Guy pitched phenomenally. This year i still think his elbow is bothering him from his prior DL stint this season.

I agree that he pitched great last season, but how long are you going to give someone based on that merit? Furthermore, you even believe something is bothering him (elbow), so why should he be in the bullpen taking up a roster spot if he can't perform?

Jack Burton
06-14-2008, 08:44 PM
See if we can get anything for him, if not, cut the bum. By the way, he kind of looks like Sloth from the Goonies.

jmac
06-14-2008, 09:15 PM

You cant give a guy a pass all season.
Gotta admit, I was all for Giving Weathers a chance to turn it around but he continues to give up hits on a consistent basis.
If you keep him, bring him in a big lead/big deficit situation.

George Foster
06-15-2008, 12:41 AM
can anyone remember the last inning that Weathers got out of an inning 1,2,3?? Really. A week or so ago he gave up a hit with one out and then got a double play, but that doesn't count. When was the last time he got them out 1,2,3??? Anybody?

He's human gasoline... His 84mph fastball is highschool stuff. He's got nothing. His stratagy is to get them to swing at balls...that's it. If he fall's behind in the count which he always does, he has to throw that 84mph chesse. It's painful to watch.

_Sir_Charles_
06-15-2008, 01:47 AM

I'll simply never understand this viewpoint. I think everyone simply bought what the media was selling them about Weathers last year. He was NOT phenomenal. He was NOT great last year. He just looked great compared to the REST of our bullpen.

Yes, he had 33 saves. I'm sorry folks, but that's just ONE stat (and a highly overrated stat at that). Look deeper at what Weathers did last year. 1.21 WHIP. 67 hits allowed in 77 innings. 3.59 era. Yes, he did escape a good number of jams...but go back and look at how those jams came to be. A LARGE portion of them...HE created by lead off hits and walks. He doesn't strike out batters and he throws more flyballs than groundballs. He was more lucky than good last year. It was only a matter of time before his true colors showed this year. I don't mean to slam Weathers. He's a great guy and an asset to this team in the clubhouse. But he's done...and he's been done for quite a while now. It's a shame it's taken everyone so long to realize it and to overlook those 33 saves. Given that many opportunities in a year...a BUNCH of pitchers could've gotten 33 saves. Weathers was one of the few "closers" last year who captured just about ALL of his teams saves. Only one other player on the team last year got a save (1)...Bill Bray. It's time to move on.