PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a new pitching coach?

LouisvilleCARDS
06-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Dick Pole isn't getting the job done really here. Cueto is looking wild and crazy. Bailey looked reckless yesterday. Meanwhile Dave Duncan on the other side is turning career journeymen into league leading pitchers. Is it time for a change?

captainmorgan07
06-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Yes and badly so. That was way to long to wait in the first inning to go out and talk to Cueto. That Leo Mazzone fellow he's not to bad. Maybe we should give him a call.

Kingspoint
06-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Set the Pole on fire.

JWP
06-11-2008, 08:54 PM
The Poler Ice Caps are melting.

CarolinaRedleg
06-11-2008, 08:56 PM
He's the Pole-r opposite of what you want in a good pitching coach

JWP
06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
What a terrible body for a Pole dancer.

Blue
06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
His name is Dick Pole.

Lockdwn11
06-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Yes!

Jr's Boy
06-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Heck Johnny Bench sitting with Thom and Chris sat there and broke down Cueto's follow through and how he is hurrying himself when he pitches,and Pole just sits and stares.If I was Jocketty I would be on the horn a.s.a.p with Leo Mazzone offering him the job.Fix these youngsters before it's too late,lord knows they have messed up Baileys mechanics over the years.

PTI (pti)
06-11-2008, 09:38 PM
I don't know if the Reds need a new pitching coach, but I'd cut off my left arm to see Dave Duncan in the Cincinnati dugout. Honestly, Castellini could hire Vern Troyer to manage the team for all I care, sign Dave Duncan as the pitching coach, and this team would be 10 games better than they are now. Duncan is AMAZING.

Todd Wellemeyer
Adam Wainwright
Joel Pineiro
Braden Looper
Kyle Lohse

Anyone care to explain how THAT pitching staff is responsible for the 2nd-best record in the National League???

At this point, I am thoroughly convinced that the Cardinals could bring Todd Van Poppel out of retirement, slap a uniform on him, and turn him into a Cy Young candidate. Just unreal.

Oh, what the hell - is Joe Mays still available???? I think the Cardinals are looking for a dominant righty out of the 'pen. :rolleyes:

BEETTLEBUG
06-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Leo Were Are You? He Was In Radio Booth With Thom Two Weeks Ago.

OSUredsFAN
06-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Leo Were Are You? He Was In Radio Booth With Thom Two Weeks Ago.

you mean TV booth.
Anyways, what about Mario Soto as pitching coach??

Kingspoint
06-11-2008, 10:59 PM
you mean TV booth.
Anyways, what about Mario Soto as pitching coach??

He deserves the job based soley upon those crappy teams he had to play with during the 80's.

BEETTLEBUG
06-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Soto would be great but I thought he was Comissoner of the Domican Leagues? It would not hurt to get a new hitting coach also like Dave Parker or Greg Vaughn.

Blue
06-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Soto would be great but I thought he was Comissoner of the Domican Leagues? It would not hurt to get a new hitting coach also like Dave Parker or Greg Vaughn.

We had a good one. His name was Chris Chambliss.

HeatherC1212
06-12-2008, 12:08 AM
I would rather see Mario as the pitching coach instead of Mazzone and that's only because of the things I heard about Mazzone (and saw) when he was with Baltimore. I know their pitching last year wasn't that great but it's very apparent that a lot of the same pitchers over on that O's team are doing much better this year with a different coach. Leo's methods can be great but they can also change a pitcher too much from what makes them effective and he also doesn't work much with the bullpen guys. I'm a little apprehensive about that sort of thing with guys like Harang, Arroyo, Cordero, and now Volquez who seem to have things figured out (whether it always works or not is another story but they are more established pitchers on this team and I don't think that changing things drastically with them is a good thing).

BurgervilleBuck
06-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Heck Johnny Bench sitting with Thom and Chris sat there and broke down Cueto's follow through and how he is hurrying himself when he pitches,and Pole just sits and stares.
For all we know, Pole could be saying the same things in the dugout. We don't know, however, it does seem that Cueto's mechanics are not being fixed by Pole.

I suggest getting Bench in there either as the pitching coach or maybe a co-coach or something.

Parker or Vaughn as hitting coaches wouldn't be bad either. What we have now ain't working.

durl
06-12-2008, 04:09 PM
We've needed a new one for how-many-years now? People were too busy blaming Johnny Narron for the awful pitching.