PDA

View Full Version : 2008 US Open

MWM
06-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Overall, looks like first round scores are just about right for an Open with the leader at 3 to 4 under par.

Stuary Appleby is due for a major and this could be his week. He's not someone to take lightly up there.

Tiger has 2 doubles so far to go along with 3 birdies through 15 holes. He's definitely within striking distance, which was certainly his goal coming off such a long lay off.

Lefty has had a very Mickelson-like day so far with 4 bogeys and 3 birdies through 14, including two birdies in a row. I like his chances if he stays around even the first round and get to about 2 under after tomorrow.

My dark horse to look out for - Andres Romero. If he can stay out of his own way, I think he could be a real threat to win this thing.

Highlifeman21
06-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Pat Perez is my darkhorse.

Redhook
06-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Pat Perez is my darkhorse.

Pretty good dark horse. He actually won the the Junior World Optimistic at Torrey Pines a long, long, long time ago. I played in that event that year and I believe it was 1993.

I won't get to watch any of the event tomorrow, but I can't wait until Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

Redhook
06-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Just finished watching Round 2 on DVR. I'm absolutely floored that Tiger is just one back of the lead. What a putting display! Tiger is a little off, as expected, but it's just amazing how he can come back to the game from 2 months off and do what he does. It's just remarkable. I can't wait to watch this weekend.

MWM
06-14-2008, 12:18 PM
This weekend is going to be exciting (hopefully!). I'd love nothing more than to see a shootout on Sunday with Tiger, Ernie, Ogilvy, and Appleby. All 4 are very capable of winning this thing. And Lee Westwood and Luke Donald could be interesting to watch as well. I just hope it doesn't become a 3 shot lead for Tiger after today.

Highlifeman21
06-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Just finished watching Round 2 on DVR. I'm absolutely floored that Tiger is just one back of the lead. What a putting display! Tiger is a little off, as expected, but it's just amazing how he can come back to the game from 2 months off and do what he does. It's just remarkable. I can't wait to watch this weekend.

I've never seen Tiger roll it as well as he did in Round 2.

You can still see where Tiger is understandably favoring his left knee. His swing speed seems overall slower, more controlled and I want to say more precise. His knee injury and surgery may end up being a great thing for him, as he needs to reign in some precise control with his game.

Jack Burton
06-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Should be interesting today, Tiger should have about a 5 stroke lead by the end of the 3rd round. Let's see if Lefty can bounce back.

SunDeck
06-14-2008, 04:19 PM
I've never seen Tiger roll it as well as he did in Round 2.

You can still see where Tiger is understandably favoring his left knee. His swing speed seems overall slower, more controlled and I want to say more precise. His knee injury and surgery may end up being a great thing for him, as he needs to reign in some precise control with his game.

That's something every golfer could probably use, a good dose of remaining in control instead of trying to bomb it.
I think Tiger is at his best when he's using the three wood a lot.

Razor Shines
06-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Wow that Eagle putt from Tiger was amazing.

Chip R
06-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow that Eagle putt from Tiger was amazing.

You said it, brother.

Reds Fanatic
06-14-2008, 11:15 PM
What a finish. Tiger eagles the 18th to take a one stroke lead.

Chip R
06-14-2008, 11:17 PM
And Tiger eagled again for the outright lead. :eek:

RFS62
06-14-2008, 11:43 PM
That Tiger dude..... he's pretty good.

Razor Shines
06-14-2008, 11:43 PM
All I can is I'm glad I got to see that finish.

SunDeck
06-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Unless his knee folds underneath him like a chicken leg, I can't see how he gives this one up. I do like the way Westwood is playing and I was glad to see that Mediate came back from the brink of self destruction, but that Tiger fellow is on a roll.

And Phil, oh Phil. You put way too much pressure on yourself. It's amazing how two out of the three guys at the top all had very low expectations coming into this, yet Phil, wanting so badly to win this one got tighter and tighter until finally spinning out of control.

Redhook
06-15-2008, 01:33 AM
Tiger is simply amazing. Best I've ever seen in any sport.

I would never bet against Tiger, but I am shocked that he is leading right now entering the final round. How in the world is he able to lead the US Open coming from 2 months off and a surgery? It's not possible. Unless your name is Tiger.

Those last 6 holes today were so incredible I can't believe what I saw. 2 eagles and a chip-in at the US Open. Wow.

MWM
06-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Just finished watching. Wow! Wow! Wow! That's all I can say. What an unbelievable day.

I said the same thing Highlife said as I was watching. Early in the round Tiger's tee shots, whether with the 3 wood or driver, were much more controlled and he was still hitting it a good distance, but was right down the middle every time. Then on #12, he made that big swing with the huge follow through and went way left. Then on the par 5 13th he did the same thing with the same result. Not sure why he felt the need to try to squeeze out a little more distance.

I honestly have no idea what to expect tomorrow. Normally, it would be a no-brainer, but his knee pain is legit. If every else folds like they always do on Sunday when he's leading at a major, it shouldn't be an issue. But if someone comes out and makes him score to win, he just might be in too much pain. Either way, should be a fun day to watch.

Homer Bailey
06-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Just finished watching. Wow! Wow! Wow! That's all I can say. What an unbelievable day.

I said the same thing Highlife said as I was watching. Early in the round Tiger's tee shots, whether with the 3 wood or driver, were much more controlled and he was still hitting it a good distance, but was right down the middle every time. Then on #12, he made that big swing with the huge follow through and went way left. Then on the par 5 13th he did the same thing with the same result. Not sure why he felt the need to try to squeeze out a little more distance.

I honestly have no idea what to expect tomorrow. Normally, it would be a no-brainer, but his knee pain is legit. If every else folds like they always do on Sunday when he's leading at a major, it shouldn't be an issue. But if someone comes out and makes him score to win, he just might be in too much pain. Either way, should be a fun day to watch.

I'm sorry, I seriously think it is Dwight that is posting every time I read one of your posts. I just can't take them seriously, haha.

SunDeck
06-15-2008, 11:11 AM
For those watching at home:

Rocco Mediate- folks don't try this at home.
That dude's got some odd stuff going on there in the swing. He looks like one of those old codgers who nudges the ball down the fairway and shoots ten under his age every day.

MWM
06-15-2008, 11:21 AM
For those watching at home:

Rocco Mediate- folks don't try this at home.
That dude's got some odd stuff going on there in the swing. He looks like one of those old codgers who nudges the ball down the fairway and shoots ten under his age every day.

Funny, yet true. Honestly, I'm not afraid to admit that I'd LOVE to see Rocco win this thing. He's just a great guy who loves what he does and is soaking up every moment of his career. He's great for the fans, he gives great interviews. I'd love to see him get a major.

Matt700wlw
06-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Tiger = God.

SunDeck
06-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Just saw a replay of Tiger after the chip in. Seriously, after working together for this long, don't you think he and Stevie could work out the high five thing?
Pathetic.

Jack Burton
06-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Tiger wins another major. Phil chokes again, anyone want to step up and challenge this woods guy? Nope, they're all chicken ****.

Highlifeman21
06-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Wow did Rocco Mediate row the boat home yesterday. Gave away something like 4 strokes in 4 consecutive holes on the back 9. The fact he's only 2 back is amazing or surprising. Take your pick.

As for the final pairing, don't count out Lee Westwood. He owns something to the effect of a 5-1 record vs. Tiger Woods in Ryder Cup match play. With Westwood only being 1 stroke behind Tiger (he'd be tied with him had he not missing that birdie on 18 on the amateur side in Round 3), we essentially see match play for the final round.

Westwood isn't afraid of Tiger. He's shown he can handle him, as well as his galleries.

I'm just hoping Tiger's knee holds up for 18 more holes. I'd hate to see him hurt himself or have to WD due to not being able to finish thanks to the knee. Regardless of the outcome, don't expect to see Tiger tee it up until probably the week before The British Open.

My prediction for today? Lee Westwood gives Tiger his 1st loss in a Major after leading or co-leading after 3 rounds. I see Westwood going low, like 68 low, and Tiger only mustering a 70, to lose by 1.

Highlifeman21
06-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Just saw a replay of Tiger after the chip in. Seriously, after working together for this long, don't you think he and Stevie could work out the high five thing?
Pathetic.

The high five was pathetic. Steve and Tiger are famous for their pathetic high fives. However, after the chip in, I think Steve more wanted to help Tiger up the hill b/c of his knee rather than go for the high five.

Regardless, they do need to work on the high fives.

Highlifeman21
06-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Funny, yet true. Honestly, I'm not afraid to admit that I'd LOVE to see Rocco win this thing. He's just a great guy who loves what he does and is soaking up every moment of his career. He's great for the fans, he gives great interviews. I'd love to see him get a major.

Rocco's a great guy. I always ran into him down in Naples at Starbucks on Immokolee Rd when I was working there two winters ago. He would always ask me how my PGA bookwork was going. I always appreciated that.

His house at Tuscany Reserve is just ridiculous. Something like 22,000 square feet and looks like an Italian villa. IIRC, it was on the 14th hole by the tee box.

My favorite Rocco memory is asking him if we could make the turn from 18 to 1 @ Tuscany Reserve, and if he would stop hitting drivers off the 1st tee for a minute. He had a staff bag full of drivers, and was testing them on the 1st hole from the tips. He looks at my group and says "Do you like this ball flight?" and then rips a driver with a nice baby cut, and then quickly tees up another ball and grabs a different driver and then says "Or this one?" and hits almost a high balloon draw. None of us say anything, and then he's like "No no, I'm not giving up the box til you answer". So my buddy says to him "You really had to work hard to get that ball to turn over, so I liked the 1st one better. Looked effortless." and then I said to him "Stay with the cut, it's worked for you this far, can't try and pretend you hit a draw at this stage." He laughed and said "You're right, who am I kidding?" and goes over to the staff bag and starts pulling out a couple drivers, and tosses them over into the rough next to the tee.

As for our tee shots with him watching, I hit a "power draw" aka rope hook to the left side of the fairway, the buddy who said something to Rocco hit his own baby cut, and the other two both hit big banana slices into the water. Following that display, Rocco yelled to us "Don't steal my Calaways in the middle of the fairway!", but was laughing when he said it.

Good times.

SunDeck
06-15-2008, 02:55 PM
The high five was pathetic. Steve and Tiger are famous for their pathetic high fives.

Every botched high five requires that one of the participants be a nerd. My money is on Tiger. But that's what puzzles me- he is obsessed with perfecting everything, so why not five minutes with Stevie to work out the routine?

"Okay, mate- you've just holed a fifty footer for eagle to go ahead in major. I'm coming at you with my right hand up. Don't bounce me into the billabong, there, eh? Just stick your hand out and I'll pat it real nice."

RFS62
06-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Tiger's knee is adding another element to his legend, a la Curt Shilling's bloody sock.

Chip R
06-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Starting out with Double bogey, bogey and par isn't helping matters much. Fortunately for Tiger, Rocco and Westwood haven't really capitalized.

Highlifeman21
06-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Every botched high five requires that one of the participants be a nerd. My money is on Tiger. But that's what puzzles me- he is obsessed with perfecting everything, so why not five minutes with Stevie to work out the routine?

"Okay, mate- you've just holed a fifty footer for eagle to go ahead in major. I'm coming at you with my right hand up. Don't bounce me into the billabong, there, eh? Just stick your hand out and I'll pat it real nice."

Tiger is a nerd.

Good stuff, SunDeck. I can see that interaction between Tiger and Steve.

MWM
06-15-2008, 06:59 PM
My prediction for today? Lee Westwood gives Tiger his 1st loss in a Major after leading or co-leading after 3 rounds. I see Westwood going low, like 68 low, and Tiger only mustering a 70, to lose by 1.

That's what i told my buddies out on the course this morning. I thought Westwood was going to take it today. Doesn't bother me much. He's been good for a long time. He'd be a worthy major champion.

MWM
06-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Westwood is starting to lose it on 10 and 11 while Tiger is turning it on. It might come down to Mediate and Tiger.

SunDeck
06-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Westwood is starting to lose it on 10 and 11 while Tiger is turning it on. It might come down to Mediate and Tiger.

Whoops. Not so fast.

MWM
06-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Whoops. Not so fast.

Yep, things can change very quickly. Looks now like he's only going to make bogey putting him in a tie with Rocco. Speaking of, Rocco really blew a golden opportunity with a missed bunny on 13.

Update: Rooc just birdied 14 to give him a one shot lead. That miss on 13 is still huge.

SunDeck
06-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Rocco needs to be playing in a panama shirt and a fedora.

Seriously.

Chip R
06-15-2008, 09:06 PM
I think Tiger screwed the pooch on that last hole. He may be toast.

sonny
06-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Heath Slocum Killed today, I wonder how the turf was playing today? You would have to think that if Tiger's knee wasnt messed up, he'd have this one in the bag.

SunDeck
06-15-2008, 09:54 PM
And another terrible, terrible high five.

Chip R
06-15-2008, 09:55 PM
So, can Tiger's knee hold up for another 18 holes tomorrow?

Highlifeman21
06-15-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm so rooting for Rocco tomorrow.

SunDeck
06-15-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm so rooting for Rocco tomorrow.

I'm with you, but man I am having a hard time seeing him prevail tomorrow. At the same time, I think the USGA has to be happy with the way things turned out; the guy who hits the ball 260 yards shows what playing in the fairway is all about.

RFS62
06-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Wow.

guttle11
06-15-2008, 10:40 PM
The contrast between the 13th and 14th was a thing of beauty. The USGA got this one right. Tough, but fair for pretty much everyone.

Jack Burton
06-15-2008, 10:46 PM
No chance for Rocco tomorrow, Tiger wins another.

RFS62
06-15-2008, 10:50 PM
So, can Tiger's knee hold up for another 18 holes tomorrow?

I believe Tiger could hop on one foot and bark like a dog all the way around the course and still win.

MWM
06-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Good call on the high 5's, SD. I've always thought the same thing. Actually, when that clip at the Masters in 2005 is shown where the ball hangs on the edge of the cup and then falls, their high 5 always takes away from it.

Should be a fun day tomorrow. I think I might be coming down with something that won't let me come in to work tomorrow. :)

I'm also pulling for Rocco. He's so real. I love the guy.

MWM
06-15-2008, 11:39 PM
It's amazing how much better the coverage of these events are on the Golf Channel than ESPN. I just flipped over to ESPN on a commercial and they cover golf just about the same way they do football. It's terrible. The Golf Channel does a great job.

George Foster
06-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Good call on the high 5's, SD. I've always thought the same thing. Actually, when that clip at the Masters in 2005 is shown where the ball hangs on the edge of the cup and then falls, their high 5 always takes away from it.

Should be a fun day tomorrow. I think I might be coming down with something that won't let me come in to work tomorrow. :)

I'm also pulling for Rocco. He's so real. I love the guy.

I honestly give the advantage to Rocco. How many more holes can Tigers knee take. If you compair scores today, Rocco beat him by 2 strokes.

Tiger has played the 1st hole terrible. He doubled it on Thursday and today. If Tiger were to just par it tomorrow, it would give him a leg up. Tiger's plan has to be to get ahead early. If Rocco get down a couple of strokes I hope he will keep his composure and still play within himself. Tiger has not hit a lot of fairways and Rocco has played great off the tee. This will let Rocco get back in the match if he gets down early.

SunDeck
06-16-2008, 07:59 AM
I think Tiger wins, but he has to make an adjustment. Mediate is capable of plodding along, making fairways all day and if he continues to play the way he has, he'll come in at or a stroke below par. Tiger doesn't need to be very aggressive; he could stick with the three wood most of the day and outplay him with his wedges and putter. Will he do that? After some of the decisions he made yesterday, I don't know.

And I wonder what the setup will be like on the extra round?

MWM
06-16-2008, 10:24 AM
I think Tiger wins, but he has to make an adjustment. Mediate is capable of plodding along, making fairways all day and if he continues to play the way he has, he'll come in at or a stroke below par. Tiger doesn't need to be very aggressive; he could stick with the three wood most of the day and outplay him with his wedges and putter. Will he do that? After some of the decisions he made yesterday, I don't know.

It will be interesting to see the approach Tiger takes. Does he try to overpower him and get ahead early? Or does he take the approach he took in the 2006 British Open just hitting fairways and greens. Given he's just up against one guy who will be steady and probably won't be making a lot of birdies, my guess is he takes the British route just trying to beat him on the par 5s.

Jack Burton
06-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Tiger's knee looked fine on the celebration yesterday. Might be overselling it a tad.

flyer85
06-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I'd say Rocco has a decent chance. The issue with the knee for Tiger isn't as much during the round it is the fact that he has been unable to practice to iron out the kinks. As Haney said, his warmup is his practice session.

Highlifeman21
06-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Tiger looks like he's in some real pain. I wonder what impact his knee will have in the playoff today.

As for Rocco, while he couldn't completely hold off Tiger yesterday, he did just enough to make sure Tiger had to chase him (which he did).

I think Rocco does just enough today to win.

MWM
06-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Tiger's knee looked fine on the celebration yesterday. Might be overselling it a tad.

Not a chance. That's totally not Tiger's style. Winning is all that matters to him. And his celebration doesn't require torque on his knee like...say... hitting a 320 yard drive.

Cyclone792
06-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Hole #1: Rocco blows a six foot putt for par and settles for a bogey. Tiger misses a semi-lengthy birdie putt, but drains a three foot putt to save par.

After 1: Tiger Even, Rocco +1

If Rocco can't putt, he won't have a chance.

SunDeck
06-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Not a chance. That's totally not Tiger's style. Winning is all that matters to him. And his celebration doesn't require torque on his knee like...say... hitting a 320 yard drive.

He could stay 40 yards short of that today and still win.

flyer85
06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
If Rocco can't putt, he won't have a chance.true. late in the round yesterday he needed a putt and couldn't get one in the hole(missed short bird @ 13, missed 8 foot par on 15, missed 10 footer for bird on 17).

Matt700wlw
06-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Rocco just missed an ace on hole 3...

Cyclone792
06-16-2008, 01:35 PM
The NBC simulcast is choppy and cutting out, but it looks like both golfers had a par on hole #2.

Woods still up by one.

Rocco just missed a hole-in-one on #3 by maybe two inches.

Matt700wlw
06-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Tiger got a bogey on 3...Rocco got birdie.

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 01:51 PM
They both hit par on 4 so Rocco is up 1 through 4 holes

MWM
06-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Ruh roh on Rocco on #5. He hits the cart path twice and is staring at double bogey. Meanwhile, Tiger has about a 25 footer for birdie

GoReds
06-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the updates, guys. Totally devoid of any means to watch the playoff at work.

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 02:02 PM
For those of you stuck at work like me this page is giving a pretty good shot by shot summary of what is going on.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/golf/leaderboard/playoff

Matt700wlw
06-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Tiger's putts aren't breaking the way he'd like

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 02:07 PM
All even through 5 as Tiger pars the hole and Rocco takes a bogey

GoReds
06-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I found a blog on golf.com

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1814975,00.html

RFS62
06-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Rocco is going to be endorsement gold after this tournament.

What a good guy.

SunDeck
06-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Can't believe he only bogeyed that hole. Glad to see it didn't wreck him. Go Roc, go.

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Tiger birdies at 6 and Rocco pars the hole. So through 6 Tiger is even par and Rocco is +1

MWM
06-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Unbelievable approach shot by Tiger on #6 on route to birdie. He was 185 from the hole with a front left with a bunker on front. He lands it on the front right on line with the flag and the ball rolls only a few feet.

VR
06-16-2008, 02:31 PM
How the weather? Any wind?

MWM
06-16-2008, 02:41 PM
There is a little wind, but not too strong. It's probably 1 club or slightly less if they're going dead into it.

VR
06-16-2008, 02:54 PM
For those of you stuck at work like me this page is giving a pretty good shot by shot summary of what is going on.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/golf/leaderboard/playoff

Their volume must be very very heavy...it keeps reloading back to hole #4 for me, and occasionally up to 7 or 8.

Cyclone792
06-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Their volume must be very very heavy...it keeps reloading back to hole #4 for me, and occasionally up to 7 or 8.

Try the Golf.com blog that GoReds posted up above. It's been working very well for me and is updated continously.

I was trying to load the NBC simulcast earlier, but it was getting choppy so I bailed.

Jack Burton
06-16-2008, 03:07 PM
What happened? Looked like Rocco was gonna tie it up but then it switches to NBC and he's down 2? Just terrible, way to lay down.

Matt700wlw
06-16-2008, 03:14 PM
He just missed another short put....I was going to say easy, but I probably couldn't make it either :)

Matt700wlw
06-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Tiger appears to be getting in his groove now

Cyclone792
06-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Tiger has opened up a three stroke lead with only eight holes remaining.

RFS62
06-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Rocco now one stroke back

Jack Burton
06-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Big putt for Rocco on 13, left himself too much work. He makes it, down 1 after 13.

SunDeck
06-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Rocco can't putt to save his life today. Good thing Tiger is not taking advantage.

OldRightHander
06-16-2008, 03:57 PM
For those with XM, channel 146. Tiger up by one shot after 13.

OldRightHander
06-16-2008, 04:05 PM
All even with four holes left.

RFS62
06-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Tiger bogey on 14, it's all tied up

RFS62
06-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Tiger's drive on 15 in the deep rough, Rocco in the fairway.

Tiger is leaking oil.

OldRightHander
06-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Tiger bogey on 14, it's all tied up

I think Tiger got par and Rocco birdied. Either way, it was a one stroke difference.

SunDeck
06-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Trying to watch via the office computer is okay...if you like video of guys walking like robots.

OldRightHander
I'm really pulling for the old guy here. First major at his age would be quite a story.

Cyclone792
Tiger is falling apart. Even with the bad knee, I didn't see this happening at all.

OldRightHander
06-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Trying to watch via the office computer is okay...if you like video of guys walking like robots.

Listening on XM. These announcers are pretty good at describing everything. It's hot as a firecracker in Brownsville, but more humid than it was in El Paso yesterday. Miserable.

OldRightHander
06-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Rocco drops a long birdie on 15, Tiger yet to putt.

SunDeck
06-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Rocco needs to putt like that to win. Go Roc!

OldRightHander
06-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Tiger misses the birdie. Rocco with at least a one shot lead, depending on if Tiger makes par.

OldRightHander
06-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Tiger with par. Rocco up by a shot going into 16.

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
That is 3 straight birdies for Rocco to take the lead.

Homer Bailey
06-16-2008, 04:24 PM
This is wild!

MWM
06-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Tiger is gonig to look back at that putt on 15 and wonder what might have been, I have a feeling.

Rocco with 3 straight birdies. He's taking it from Tiger, not Tiger giving it to him.

OldRightHander
06-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Both par 16, Rocco still up 1 with two holes left.

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 04:37 PM
On 17 Tiger is in the fairway while Rocco has landed in the rough

Jack Burton
06-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Tiger down 1 with two holes to go, no biggie...Tiger will win.

ThatPitchIsDunn
06-16-2008, 04:39 PM
If Tiger goes eagle on 18 for the win....

Oh man.

I only semi-like golf, and this is incredible. Our entire office is glued to their stop-and-start streaming action on the computer.

Boston Red
06-16-2008, 04:39 PM
channelsurfing.net Perfect picture.

ThatPitchIsDunn
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
channelsurfing.net Perfect picture.

Indeed it is. Good look there BR :thumbup:

OldRightHander
06-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Rocco one up with one hole left.

RFS62
06-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Rocco in the bunker on 18

RFS62
06-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Tiger in the fairway, with a good lie.

REDSEER
06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Dumb firewall at work.....keep the updates coming!!

Jack Burton
06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Looks like Tiger's gonna win another major. He'll Eagle and Mediate will par.

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
By the way if they finished tied after this hole here are the holes they will use for a playoff:

A few more notes from the USGA: "If the players are tied after 18 holes, the playoff would be decided in sudden death using holes 7, 8 and 18 in rotation."

RFS62
06-16-2008, 05:00 PM
What a freakin' finish

BuckeyeRed27
What a freakin' finish

What happened?

OldRightHander
Tiger with an eagle putt and Rocco with a birdie putt. Could be more playoff holes if they both two putt.

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Tiger is 25-30 feet from hole on his putt and Rocco is about 15-20 feet on his putt

OldRightHander
06-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Rocco with a birdie putt after Tiger missed the eagle. Make it and win, miss and more holes...

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Tiger went 4 feet past on his putt so he will be putting for Birdie

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Rocco missed the putt to the left it rolled 2 feet past.

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 05:05 PM
So if they both make these putts there will be a playoff.

paintmered
06-16-2008, 05:07 PM
To sudden death we go...

HotCorner
06-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Sudden death!

RFS62
06-16-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm exhausted just watching this

Puffy
06-16-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm exhausted just watching this

You're old.

RFS62
06-16-2008, 05:14 PM
You're old.

Yes, I think you should put me in my place. Maybe we should play for, oh say, $100 a hole.

flyer85
06-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Rocco is like a pesky gnat that can't be shooed away.

Matt700wlw
06-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Wow...sudden death!

RFS62
06-16-2008, 05:16 PM
That may be it for Rocco

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Rocco is in the bunker on the first shot of sudden death and Tiger is on the right side of the fairway.

REDSEER
06-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Did he put it in the rough?

nevermind....question answered thanks

flyer85
06-16-2008, 05:19 PM
who knows maybe the Roc will do what a bunch of guys did to Norman(pull something out of their backside to win)

Chip R
06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
That should do it for Rocco.

RFS62
06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm afraid Rocco's coach just turned back into a pumpkin

Joseph
06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Woods is gonna win this.

He's one of the rare juggernauts I actually root for.

Amazing golf today by both. Each made runs and the other withstood. Woods is gonna come out just a notch or two on top.

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 05:23 PM
This will be over soon. Tiger is 15-20 feet away from the hole while Rocco is way left up against the grandstand.

flyer85
06-16-2008, 05:25 PM
This will be over soon. Tiger is 15-20 feet away from the hole while Rocco is way left up against the grandstand.its time for the shot of his life ... he needs to channel Larry Mize.

flyer85
06-16-2008, 05:26 PM
that's not a bad spot Rocco has to play from after the free drop

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Rocco chipped to the green he is now 20 feet from the hole.

Chip R
06-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Tiger just left his putt short.

Reds Fanatic
06-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Tiger hit par on the hole. So Rocco would have to hit a 20 foot putt for this to continue.

Jack Burton
06-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Was never in doubt, that was a poor display by both.

RFS62
This was one hell of a match.

Rocco should change his name to Rocky

Buckeye33
Rocco missed his putt by about an inch right...to bad.

Joseph
06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Greatest US Open ever?

Chip R
06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Rocco misses his putt and that's all she wrote.

Matt700wlw
06-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Tiger wins again!

flyer85
06-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I guess nice guys can finish 2nd ... truly a class act.

Caveat Emperor
06-16-2008, 05:36 PM
What a great playoff -- I was glued to the TV down in the jury room for the past hour and a half.

Great day to be a golf fan.

flyer85
06-16-2008, 05:44 PM
another thing that comes to mind is that Tiger won while clearly not at his best, he hit some shots never seen from him before ... he played hole #1 on Sunday as bad as any duffer could ... I had never seen Tiger hit three bad shots in a row like he did starting the round yesterday. He just seemed to will himself to this win.

Jack Burton
06-16-2008, 05:55 PM
That's the thing about golf, the field is weak and Tiger wins by default most of the time. This one was gift wrapped for Tiger.

15fan
06-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Tiger Woods is pretty good at golf.

flyer85
06-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Tiger Woods is pretty good at golf.he is miles better than anyone else.

Heard a stat before the open started that the distance between Tiger and Phil in the rankings(#1 to #2) is the same as the distance between Phil and player ranked 282.

Jack Burton
06-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Every other golfer in the field should be embarrassed. Guy hadn't played in weeks.

MWM
06-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Every other golfer in the field should be embarrassed. Guy hadn't played in weeks.

Come on, dude. Why all the negativity just because you didn't want to see Tiger win. No one should be embarassed losing to the greatest the game has ever seen. This was one hell of a week to watch golf. It was great theatre and great golf. Your belly-aching about it seems weird to me.

SunDeck
06-16-2008, 06:37 PM
That's the thing about golf, the field is weak and Tiger wins by default most of the time. This one was gift wrapped for Tiger.

There are more good golfers on tour now than there ever have been. Nicklaus himself has said that on more than one occasion. The difference is that Tiger Woods really is THAT MUCH better than all of them. Besides, The "weak field" isn't what causes him to rain in putts from everywhere. The guy can just flat out putt better than everyone else in the world.

And I don't see how this was gift wrapped. Winning a major is basically about surviving down the stretch, especially the US Open. The fact that Tiger is able to do that better than anyone else may say something about them, but I think it says more about him. What goes on between his ears is simply different than what goes on between theirs.

MWM
06-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I don't see how anyone who actually watched could say it was gift-wrapped. It took everything he had to win this thing.

Highlifeman21
06-16-2008, 07:56 PM
I wanted Rocco to win this thing.

I'm almost semi-disappointed that Tiger won.

I am ridiculously impressed, however, with how Tiger rolled the rock this week. I think it's honestly the best he's rolled it in his life.

I fully expect Tiger to not put the peg in the ground until a week before The British Open.

Any takers?

SunDeck
06-16-2008, 08:14 PM
He did say he's shutting it down for a while, which I guess means he won't play in the Buick at the end of the month, either.
And the tournaments between that one and the Open certainly don't seem compelling enough for him to come out, do they?

SunDeck
06-16-2008, 08:16 PM
FWIW, I just found this:

Associated Press
12:49 PM CDT, June 16, 2008

GRAND BLANC, Mich. - Fan favorite John Daly has committed to play at the Buick Open later this month.

Tournament officials said again Monday that Tiger Woods also plans to compete at Warwick Hills, but the world's No. 1 player hasn't committed officially. He usually waits until the deadline, which is Friday.

Woods played the U.S. Open in pain because of his surgically repaired left knee.

Daly received an exemption to play June 26-29 at his eighth Buick Open, where he always attracts large galleries.

Highlifeman21
06-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Tiger's been contractually obligated to play in anything with the name "Buick" in it or on it for years.

I'm surprised they'll hold him to this one, though.

MWM
06-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Next Year's PGA Championship is right here in the Twin Cities at Hazeltine (about a mile from where I played yesterday at Chaska Town Course). Me and some buddies are going in for tickets. It would be pretty darn cool if he wins 3 more of the next 5 majors so he'd be going for #18 then.

Chip R
06-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Tiger's been contractually obligated to play in anything with the name "Buick" in it or on it for years.

I'm surprised they'll hold him to this one, though.

Yeah, he's almost got to show up there.

But maybe there could be a compromise. Have Tiger show up, press the flesh, pimp some Buicks and do some TV commentary. He wouldn't play but he would be there.

RFS62
06-16-2008, 11:24 PM
No way Buick pressures him to appear if he's not ready.

Caveat Emperor
06-17-2008, 02:07 AM
No way Buick pressures him to appear if he's not ready.

Tiger has (by all accounts) always done right by his sponsors. Buick would be crazy to risk ticking him off by insisting he play hurt at a non-major event.

MWM
06-17-2008, 03:21 AM
I'm sure there's an injury clause in his contract. I don't think Buick could make him come even if they wanted to.

SunDeck
06-17-2008, 08:14 AM
You can't "pressure" the world's #1 golfer into playing if he's injured any more than you could the world's #200 player. If a guy is hurt, he's hurt. Besides, what would Buick gain by that?

Redhook
06-17-2008, 08:39 AM
That was the most entertaining golf tournament I've ever seen. So many ups and downs. Tiger was put on tilt and responded each time. Amazing.

Tiger won't tee it up at the Buick. He might not play again until the British.

Roy Tucker
06-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Makes you wonder why Tiger doesn't have more success in match play events such as the Ryder Cup.

He certainly fought this one tooth and nail.

flyer85
06-17-2008, 09:47 AM
A Tribute to Rocco

That life is about enjoying the journey even if you don't get the result you exactly want. I believe Rocco was sincere about having a blast even though he lost. He is one of the few(especially among athletes) where enjoying the moment is what is really important. Hopefully Rocco gave everyone a little better perspective on sports, it doesn't have to be win, win, win ... you can enjoy the journey even when you finish second. In addition, hopefully we all got a little better perspective on life in general, things are never going to go exactly the way we want and outcomes are not as important as relationships. Rocco enjoyed the crowed, enjoyed competing and conversing with Tiger and even though he didn't win he had the time of his life.

Three cheers for Rocco and it would be a shame if he isn't on the Ryder Cup team to show us the pure joy of soaking in the moment and fun of being able to compete.

RFS62
06-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Well said, Flyer

:beerme:

Jack Burton
06-17-2008, 11:28 AM
You have a putt to win the U.S. Open, you missed it and ended up losing, I call that failure. He'll never be in that situation again and he let it slip away. He also missed the fairway quite a few times and shanked a few easy putts. I wasn't impressed by either participant.

MWM
06-17-2008, 11:44 AM
You have a putt to win the U.S. Open, you missed it and ended up losing, I call that failure. He'll never be in that situation again and he let it slip away. He also missed the fairway quite a few times and shanked a few easy putts. I wasn't impressed by either participant.

Ah, got it. Neither one was impressive.

RFS62
06-17-2008, 11:44 AM

Jack, you are one funny guy.

Caveat Emperor
06-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Ah, got it. Neither one was impressive.

I bet Curt Schilling missed a lot of his spots in that ALCS start against the Yankees too. ;)

NJReds
06-17-2008, 02:44 PM

Apparently not ...

Woods refuses to let pain win
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
Jun 16, 8:55 pm EDT

SAN DIEGO – The bear hug was more survival than celebration, a spent embrace between Tiger Woods and his caddy 91 holes deep into this forever U.S. Open. Rocco Mediate’s final putt had failed to fall on the playoff round’s first extra playoff hole and finally this 14th major was Tiger’s to embrace with a grip perhaps tighter and more appreciative than any other.

It wasn’t just outlasting Rocco here with the midday California sun beating down, it wasn’t even Woods’ second consecutive 18th hole-overtime-forcing birdie, it wasn’t even winning a mental and physical test of wills – 358 strokes to 359.

If it was just that, then maybe Woods wouldn’t have been calling this his greatest major championship.

“I think this is the best,” he said. “This week had a lot of doubt to it, to be honest with you.”

This was about Woods simply not allowing himself to lose, perhaps because of how much he knows this one might wind up meaning. It wasn’t just how difficult it was, it was the fear that this is how difficult it may be from here on out.

Tiger’s knee is more troublesome than temporary. He all but admitted he reinjured it here, said he was shutting things down again for a while and might skip the British Open next month. It was a clear testament not just to the potential severity but that this may be worse than ever.

“I need to take a little bit of a break,” he said. “It’s been sore a while.”

His doctors had told him not to play this week. They had said his left knee might not just wind up sore, but reinjured, perhaps for a long time, perhaps forever, perhaps making this wincing, limping Tiger Woods of Torrey Pines the norm.

“I’m not really good at listening to doctor’s orders,” Woods said.

He may be now. He was in drastic pain here, popping painkillers and in occasional agony after certain shots. For the first time, his career is facing an uncertain future. Suddenly this run at history might not be so simple, that one day passing Jack Nicklaus’ record of 18 majors, while still highly likely, might not be just a matter of time.

In the last eight majors, Woods has won four times and finished second three times. After three knee surgeries, and facing his second extensive layoff, that pace doesn’t seem maintainable. He’s still going to win, but it might not be the same.

Then again, this is Tiger Woods. All week here he kept finding ways to outlast the others. Monday, it was long past high noon here, long past when Rocco should have disappeared, long past when this should have been won and done, when he found himself for the third consecutive day on the final tee box trailing.

And once again he dug deep and delivered a bit of magic—an eagle for the lead Saturday, birdies Sunday and Monday to extend play, to make sure this wasn’t all going to be for naught.

By then Tiger had determined if he was going to risk the future for this major, if he was going to ignore those doctors, then he was going to win.

“Hey, I won this week, so it is what it is.”

Woods would rather wear Adidas than discuss his health records. The concerned looks on his support team, the shrugged shoulders and the non-answers to simple questions says that this was something significant though. The surgery on meniscus in his left knee in April didn’t work as well as hoped.

If it had, no one would have suggested he sit out this week. He would have been able to walk 18 holes before Thursday. He would have had practice sessions that weren’t limited to “limp to the ball, hit five, limp back to the cart,” as Hank Haney, his instructor, said.

One knee expert, while obviously not privy to the medical records, watched Woods this weekend and saw trouble.

“Just so we’re clear, I have not seen Tiger’s operative reports, and I am not saying he’s done,” said Dr. Howard Luks, an orthopedic surgeon in Westchester, N.Y. who specializes in athletes. “But one has to imagine, with the amount of discomfort he’s experiencing this long after the surgery, that there are some degenerative symptoms or arthritic symptoms, or something that doesn’t respond well to pivoting, turning, and twisting.

“Arthroscopic surgery on someone to repair a meniscus (which is how the surgery has been described) when you don’t have a hyaline cartilage tear; that person should be back in eight weeks without any problem.”

Woods is having problems, which suggests the more serious and more difficult to treat hyaline cartilage problem, according to Luks.

For his part, Woods just kept saying he didn’t know. His various agents expressed the same. Haney kept grimacing and talking about how “I can’t believe he won this tournament.”

It was believable, though. Once this became a test of will as much as a golf tournament, the injury may have made Woods more difficult to beat. Whatever he lost physically, he gained mentally.

“You always try to use everything to your advantage, trying to be a rationalist, trying to feed off of it somehow.”

Somehow he did. Every time he was down, he fought back. Every time he needed a miracle shot, he delivered. It took 91 holes to finish off Rocco, but if 191 was needed, then so be it.

“You can’t get him,” Rocco said, shaking his head in awe. “I thought I had him a while. I kept hitting good shot after good shot after good shot and so did he. If anybody in this world goes up against Tiger when he’s at his best, they are going to lose, it’s just that simple. I don’t care who it is.

“Was he at his best this week?” Rocco continued. “He was pretty good. Obviously he’s hurt. But where he’s his best (is mentally).”

Mentally Woods looked exhausted at the end, hugging his caddy after playing that seventh hole for a sixth time in this tournament, after finally, on one leg, outlasting them all.

Soon they whisked him off in a golf cart with his wife, whisked him off to another major trophy presentation, whisked him off after the hardest, toughest and greatest victory of his career. And they whisked him off into a future that for once, even Tiger Woods looked a little concerned about.

Jack Burton
06-17-2008, 05:33 PM
He's ok, and you can be certain he'll play at the British.

Highlifeman21
06-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Makes you wonder why Tiger doesn't have more success in match play events such as the Ryder Cup.

He certainly fought this one tooth and nail.

It was American vs. American in match play for the playoff, however.

Had it been Tiger vs. Westwood in the playoff, we would have seen Westwood pounce all over every inch Tiger gave him. Westwood owns something like a 5-1 lifetime Ryder record vs. Tiger. Euros just seem to smell blood quicker and then attack when they see the opportunity.

In hindsight, while it was good TV, Mediate vs. Woods (in essentially match play) had some moments, but wasn't a good "match". Tiger was up something like 3 shots on the back and couldn't put Rocco Mediate away. That's right, Rocco Mediate. Couldn't put him away. And then when Rocco was up 1 with 2 to play, he rowed the boat home again and let Tiger take him to extra holes. Once in extra holes, this playoff reminded me of the Masters playoff when Mike Wier won with a bogey over whoever lost to him. Very anticlimactic.

I firmly believe that if there was at least 1 Euro in the playoff yesterday, we basically would have seen a result of anywhere between 3 and 1 to the equivalent of 4 and 3. I don't know what it is about Euros in match play, but they just make the most of the opportunities in which they find themselves.

While I agree that Tiger fought tooth and nail yesterday, it was still two Americans duking it out. Tiger plays matches in the timid/conservative American style, and hasn't had that much success in singles, and even less success when he has to play with a partner.

Roy Tucker
06-17-2008, 06:44 PM
It was American vs. American in match play for the playoff, however.

Had it been Tiger vs. Westwood in the playoff, we would have seen Westwood pounce all over every inch Tiger gave him. Westwood owns something like a 5-1 lifetime Ryder record vs. Tiger. Euros just seem to smell blood quicker and then attack when they see the opportunity.

In hindsight, while it was good TV, Mediate vs. Woods (in essentially match play) had some moments, but wasn't a good "match". Tiger was up something like 3 shots on the back and couldn't put Rocco Mediate away. That's right, Rocco Mediate. Couldn't put him away. And then when Rocco was up 1 with 2 to play, he rowed the boat home again and let Tiger take him to extra holes. Once in extra holes, this playoff reminded me of the Masters playoff when Mike Wier won with a bogey over whoever lost to him. Very anticlimactic.

I firmly believe that if there was at least 1 Euro in the playoff yesterday, we basically would have seen a result of anywhere between 3 and 1 to the equivalent of 4 and 3. I don't know what it is about Euros in match play, but they just make the most of the opportunities in which they find themselves.

While I agree that Tiger fought tooth and nail yesterday, it was still two Americans duking it out. Tiger plays matches in the timid/conservative American style, and hasn't had that much success in singles, and even less success when he has to play with a partner.

All excellent points. I'm just a casual golf fan so that was my uneducated take on it.

I think I've read rumblings about putting Rocco Mediate on the Ryder Cup team. The Euros certainly do clean the collective US clock in match play.

NJReds
06-18-2008, 01:27 PM

Or not...

Woods set to have season-ending knee surgery

ESPN.com news services

Tiger Woods has decided to have surgery on his left knee, which will end his 2008 season.

Woods said on his Web site that Woods will have surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament. He also wrote that he needs time to rehabilitate a double stress fracture of his left tibia, which he said was discovered just before the Memorial Tournament in late May.

Woods skipped that event, but played 91 holes in winning the U.S. Open in a playoff over Rocco Mediate.

Woods said no date has been determed for the surgery.

"I know much was made of my knee throughout the last week, and it was important to me that I disclose my condition publicly at an appropriate time. I wanted to be very respectful of the USGA and their incredibly hard work, and make sure the focus was on the U.S. Open," said Woods on his Web site. "Now, it is clear that the right thing to do is to listen to my doctors, follow through with this surgery, and focus my attention on rehabilitating my knee."

Woods said on his Web site that he originally ruptured the ACL in 2007 while running at his home in Orlando after the British Open. He said he decided not to have surgery at that point, and he went on to win five of the next six events he entered (through his Target World Challenge in December).

"While I am obviously disappointed to have to miss the remainder of the season, I have to do the right thing for my long-term health and look forward to returning to competitive golf when my doctors agree that my knee is sufficiently healthy," Woods wrote on his Web site. "My doctors assure me with the proper rehabilitation and training, the knee will be strong and there will be no long-term effects."

Woods had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee on April 15, two days after he finished second in The Masters in April.

Woods had committed to playing in the Buick Invitational next week. He hosts the AT&T National the week after at Congressional Country Club in Washington, D.C. The report said he would fulfill his obligations to sponsors at those events.

He was also scheduled to play in the British Open in July and defend his PGA Championship title in August.

The Ryder Cup is set for September at Valhalla, just outside of Louisville, Ky.

MWM
06-18-2008, 01:56 PM
The only thing I'm bummed about is that he'll miss the Ryder Cup. If the US loses again to the Euros, I'm going to blow a gasket.

Chip R
06-18-2008, 01:57 PM
The only thing I'm bummed about is that he'll miss the Ryder Cup. If the US loses again to the Euros, I'm going to blow a gasket.

Not that it's necesarily his fault but they haven't exactly been kicking their butts with him.

OnBaseMachine
06-18-2008, 02:14 PM
I really need to start getting into golf more. It really seems like a fun sport.

timmario66
06-18-2008, 02:19 PM

I'm bummed I have tickets to Tuesday's practice rounds and no Tiger. I guess I will have to get up to the Memorial one year to watch him in person.

SunDeck
06-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Speaking of the Open, can anyone explain Phil Mickelson? I think I may finally stop rooting for him to win a major unless he stops with the tinkering and just starts playing golf.

Caveat Emperor
06-18-2008, 02:26 PM
I really need to start getting into golf more. It really seems like a fun sport.

I picked the game up last summer and I play whenever possible now.

Shockingly, I think I'm actually getting a little better.

Chip R
06-18-2008, 04:09 PM

Highlifeman21
06-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Speaking of the Open, can anyone explain Phil Mickelson? I think I may finally stop rooting for him to win a major unless he stops with the tinkering and just starts playing golf.

Mickelson doesn't care.

Phil has a fortune in the bank, and is good at his profession, yet I wouldn't call him a good professional golfer. He plays to cash checks. He's good at cashing checks.

Winning? Not so much.

He has enough game that he was eventually going to win a Major or two, but he has to be one of the biggest wastes of talents in professional golf right now. Boatloads of talent, no mental game, no work ethic, doesn't keep his body in good shape.

But, he's got a hot wife, a litter of kids, a couple of beautiful homes and he's set for life.

Can ya blame him?

SunDeck
06-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Mickelson doesn't care.

Phil has a fortune in the bank, and is good at his profession, yet I wouldn't call him a good professional golfer. He plays to cash checks. He's good at cashing checks.

Winning? Not so much.

He has enough game that he was eventually going to win a Major or two, but he has to be one of the biggest wastes of talents in professional golf right now. Boatloads of talent, no mental game, no work ethic, doesn't keep his body in good shape.

But, he's got a hot wife, a litter of kids, a couple of beautiful homes and he's set for life.

Can ya blame him?

But he worked out over the winter, got in shape...kind of.

RFS62
06-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Well, after careful review of the videotape, I've come to the conclusion that the problem with Tiger and Stevie's high fives is all Tiger's fault.

Stevie is standing in high five ready position, his right arm extended at a 90 degree angle, his hand in perfect receiving position, steady and presenting a easily attainable target.

But Tiger is hopping around, pretty much like one might imagine that Puffy probably dances, and he misfires his right hand thrust. It's the high five equivalent of a shank. Clearly he isn't spending time on his technique.

Stevie, to his credit, stands there like a dork and lets his boss flop around like a fish out of water. Lesser men wouldn't take one for the team like that. Or, maybe it's the long green Tiger forks over that keeps him quiet.

But the videotape doesn't lie.... it's all on Tiger.

Redhook
06-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Well, after careful review of the videotape, I've come to the conclusion that the problem with Tiger and Stevie's high fives is all Tiger's fault.

Stevie is standing in high five ready position, his right arm extended at a 90 degree angle, his hand in perfect receiving position, steady and presenting a easily attainable target.

But Tiger is hopping around, pretty much like one might imagine that Puffy probably dances, and he misfires his right hand thrust. It's the high five equivalent of a shank. Clearly he isn't spending time on his technique.

Stevie, to his credit, stands there like a dork and lets his boss flop around like a fish out of water. Lesser men wouldn't take one for the team like that. Or, maybe it's the long green Tiger forks over that keeps him quiet.

:laugh:

Jack Burton
06-19-2008, 08:46 AM

Nostradamus who?

Congrats to Eldrick for winning on a bum knee, I guess he really was in pain. This also shows just how bad the rest of the field is, pathetic.

RFS62
06-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Nostradamus who?

Congrats to Eldrick for winning on a bum knee, I guess he really was in pain. This also shows just how bad the rest of the field is, pathetic.

Jack, you're nothing if not consistent.

SunDeck
06-19-2008, 10:30 AM

I think the primary problem there is the hand grab. It's happened to all of us- you go to high five a guy and he turns it into some kind of a...well, a handshake or something. It's embarrassing for everyone involved.

Take a good look at the footage (man, if we only had the bizhub swing vision cam for this) and you will see that the setup and alignment are all good. Stevie comes in nice and high, the obvious signal that he wants to high five. Tiger brings his hand in, then, failing to release entirely, he causes panic. Stevie tries to recover by bringing the hand down, deeper into the handshake slot, but by that time there is just no chance to recover. That high five, my friends, is deep in the rough.

Tony Cloninger
06-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Jack....you have made me trudge out a word that i think is one of the worst... IT words around......but in this context it works.

You are a true Hater. You must be Skip Bayless.......and if not...it's hard to believe there could be two of you.

Chip R
06-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Guys, don't feed the trolls.

Tiger needs to realize the high five is passe. The fist bump is what it's all about now.

SunDeck
06-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Guys, don't feed the trolls.

Tiger needs to realize the high five is passe. The fist bump is what it's all about now.

My guess is he'd get his teeth knocked out. The guy just can't collaborate on anything.

Jack Burton
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
I just tell it like it is.

Highlifeman21
06-19-2008, 05:58 PM
But he worked out over the winter, got in shape...kind of.

I guess round is a shape.

That's the only shape I see when I look at Phil Mickelson.

SunDeck
06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
I guess round is a shape.

That's the only shape I see when I look at Phil Mickelson.

Poor guy needs one of these:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/tailgate/medium_bro.jpg

Highlifeman21
06-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Poor guy needs one of these:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/tailgate/medium_bro.jpg

Phil Mickelson definitely has man-boobs.

Redhook
06-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Phil Mickelson definitely has man-boobs.

Jeff Quinney's are bigger. :p:

RFS62
06-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Tim "Lumpy" Herron had a great quote regarding strength training. He was asked if he planned to start lifting weights to keep up with Tiger and the other players on tour who were now into fitness.

His reply.... "Lift weights? No way. Those things are heavy"

Highlifeman21
06-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Jeff Quinney's are bigger. :p:

What you and Jeff Quinney do together on your own time in the privacy of wherever is your own business!

;)

Betterread
06-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Most golfers are out of shape to my eyes. Does anyone honestly think Rocco Mediate is in good physical shape? Geoff Ogilvy is someone who looks likes he trains a lot. He would blend right in at a triathalon. His body type really seems to be unique on the tour.
I love playing golf - but you don't need much conditioning or physical strength for it. Tiger's win on a blown knee should tell you all you need to know about the physical demands of the sport. In fact, a lot of young guys who are strong enough swing way too hard for them to control their swing. WHen they age and get a little "weaker" their swing changes and their golf gets better.

paintmered
06-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Most golfers are out of shape to my eyes. Does anyone honestly think Rocco Mediate is in good physical shape? Geoff Ogilvy is someone who looks likes he trains a lot. He would blend right in at a triathalon. His body type really seems to be unique on the tour.
I love playing golf - but you don't need much conditioning or physical strength for it. Tiger's win on a blown knee should tell you all you need to know about the physical demands of the sport. In fact, a lot of young guys who are strong enough swing way too hard for them to control their swing. WHen they age and get a little "weaker" their swing changes and their golf gets better.

It's not so much pure strength as it is technique and the ability to repeat the exact same motion time and time again. These guys are accelerating the clubhead from 0 to 115 mph in a half second with an accuracy of under 1/8 of an inch. Just because you don't have to be ripped to do it, doesn't make it easy.

Betterread
06-20-2008, 10:47 PM
It's not so much pure strength as it is technique and the ability to repeat the exact same motion time and time again. These guys are accelerating the clubhead from 0 to 115 mph in a half second with an accuracy of under 1/8 of an inch. Just because you don't have to be ripped to do it, doesn't make it easy.

I know. I enjoy golf so I know what athletic demands it makes on a player. I also know that I can run 10 miles just before I play, or do a lot of physical yardwork or workout before I play a round or two and I'm not tired on the course.
One thing I can't do is Golf first thing in the morning. I never play well with a tee-time of before 8:30 am. I Can't explain it.

George Foster
06-20-2008, 11:32 PM

With all due respect, try walking 18 holes 5 times a week, in 90 degree heat. Practice round, and 4 playing rounds. This does not take into account the hours spent on the practice range before the rounds. These guys are in shape carteovascularly or they would be falling over like flies. They might not be "tone" like tiger but they are in shape, and have phenomenal eye-to-hand coordination, which is the key to athleticism.

SunDeck
06-21-2008, 08:19 AM
I think it's just a different kind of "being in shape". Golf is so subtle and it takes so much concentration to play well that it is unlike other more physical sports. I am in extremely good shape and I find myself dealing with fatigue on the golf course at the end of a round. It's awfully hard to stay focused to the level you need to down the stretch. And that is the thing that kills a golf swing; losing focus, getting distracted, not sticking with your normal routine. These things are caused by both mental and physical fatigue. Golf certainly is not as physically demanding as other sports, but it is also a sport that exposes the most minute physical and mental errors.

Perhaps because Tiger Woods is in such great shape he was able to handle the physical adversity better than, say, Mediate could have. However, the edge was not just physical. He has the ability to shut out the distraction of pain unlike no other athlete.

I think golfers should take better care of themselves. A body that is in good shape is also more flexible and strong legs are critical to a solid swing. Anyone on the tour who is not working on their physical condition is fooling themselves. I walk and carry my clubs, specifically because I don't see the point of golfing and not getting any exercise out of it at all. Surprisingly, I have dropped a few pounds and gained strength by doing so. To me it is a great form of physical activity for the middle aged.