PDA

View Full Version : The most beautiful play in baseball is...

knuckler
06-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Watching Ross and Encarnacion pull off the suicide squeeze tonight reminded me of just how cool that play is to watch. So many things have to go right to make it work, I'm almost amazed when it all comes together. So that made me think of the other beautiful plays that make me smile. Of course there are a lot, but what are your favorites?

Scrap Irony
06-12-2008, 10:59 PM
The triple

*BaseClogger*
06-12-2008, 11:08 PM
An Adam Dunn walk? :p:

knuckler
06-12-2008, 11:12 PM
I should have included the inside-the-park home run :beerme:

vaticanplum
06-12-2008, 11:13 PM
The triple

Nothing makes me dizzier than a stand-up triple. Like, nothing on the planet.

Although I am also a big fan of leave-the-feet diving catches in the outfield.

guttle11
06-12-2008, 11:16 PM
I agree that the suicide squeeze is a great play to watch.

But to me, the most beautiful thing on a baseball field is an inside-the-park homer. Usually it takes a bad bounce or two in the outfield. When the runner rounds second the possibility is opened. As he rounds third, people go nuts. The relay home...safe.

Just like you're a kid again. Hit the ball and keep running.

11larkin11
06-12-2008, 11:17 PM

I voted for the suicide because you hardly ever see it. But personally, I stand up everytime there is a potential sac fly and a speed demon on third and an outfielder with a cannon. The bang bang potential sac fly is my favorite. I would absolutely love to see Ichiro try to tag up and go home on a flyball to Josh Hamilton/Vlad Guererro out in the AL West. Jose Reyes vs. Shane Victorino in the NL East. Or even better, in interleague sometime, Yadier Molina vs. Johhny Damon.

reds44
06-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I voted for the suicide because you hardly ever see it. But personally, I stand up everytime there is a potential sac fly and a speed demon on third and an outfielder with a cannon. The bang bang potential sac fly is my favorite. I would absolutely love to see Ichiro try to tag up and go home on a flyball to Josh Hamilton/Vlad Guererro out in the AL West. Jose Reyes vs. Shane Victorino in the NL East. Or even better, in interleague sometime, Yadier Molina vs. Johhny Damon.
Same here. I would say watching a guy like Reyes or Crawford or even tonight Phillips fly around the bases for a triple would be my second favorite.

letsgojunior
06-12-2008, 11:39 PM
I happen to love the over-the-shoulder catch a la Willie Mays during the 1954 World Series.

Caveat Emperor
06-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Sellout crowd on their feet.

Bottom of the 9th.

Bases loaded.

Two outs.

1 run game.

3-2 pitch.

Strike-three swinging on a fastball to win the game.

If there's a more exciting and beautiful moment in sports, I don't know what it is.

vaticanplum
06-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Sellout crowd on their feet.

Bottom of the 9th.

Bases loaded.

Two outs.

1 run game.

3-2 pitch.

Strike-three swinging on a fastball to win the game.

If there's a more exciting and beautiful moment in sports, I don't know what it is.

Ha, that depends who you're rooting for. I read through that little piece of poetry expecting a very different last line :) (which would be equally beautiful, incidentally.)

Caveat Emperor
06-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Ha, that depends who you're rooting for. I read through that little piece of poetry expecting a very different last line :) (which would be equally beautiful, incidentally.)

You should've just called me out for not saying "Top of the 9th" like I meant to type but somehow managed to mangle. ;)

But yes -- the outcome you refer to is also incredibly beautiful.

TeamBoone
06-13-2008, 12:15 AM

Yup. My personal favorite, so I didn't vote.

SteelSD
06-13-2008, 12:22 AM
The most beautiful play in baseball is a fleet-footed Center Fielder who can suspend gravity during the very moment he's parallel to the ground in order to snag a Hit that should have been. The only thing that comes close to it is a Shortstop who ranges deep into the hole to field and then nails a Runner at First Base with a throw off his back foot.

I miss Eric Davis and Barry Larkin.

Highlifeman21
06-13-2008, 12:25 AM

:p:

That's just cruel.

I remember during one of the last years of Cinergy/Riverfront, Reggie Taylor was on 3rd to tag on a SF to the warning track in RF only to get thrown out by probably 10-15 feet by an absolute laser beam from Vlad Guerrero.

11larkin11
06-13-2008, 12:28 AM
:p:

That's just cruel.

I remember during one of the last years of Cinergy/Riverfront, Reggie Taylor was on 3rd to tag on a SF to the warning track in RF only to get thrown out by probably 10-15 feet by an absolute laser beam from Vlad Guerrero.

I wondered if someone would notice. You could probably switch to another channel and watch a game of Euro 2008 in that time.

George Anderson
06-13-2008, 12:31 AM
One play I will never forget when I played HS was a 9-4-5 relay throw to nail the runner going to third. Just a memory of what a kewl thing it was to witness.

Also while I don't think it included a relay throw but Dave Parkers throw to Gary Carter in the 1979 AS game was a thing of beauty.

AmarilloRed
06-13-2008, 12:57 AM
It was not listed, but I would have to say the unassisted triple play.Very cool.

06-13-2008, 01:12 AM
I like that play where Votto fields a ground ball and feeds the pitcher a perfect toss as he covers first. So beautiful, and so rare.

dougdirt
06-13-2008, 01:25 AM
A Ken Griffey Jr HR.

IslandRed
06-13-2008, 01:53 AM

Analytically, I recognize the value in the Three True Outcomes (homers, walks, strikeouts).

Aesthetically, there's nothing like the ball in play with runners on.

GAC
06-13-2008, 05:06 AM
Walk off game winning hits.

From the defensive side.... I'm prejudiced towards INFers, like SS and 2Bman on snazzy dbl plays. Like a ball caught up the middle and flipped behind the back to whoever is manning 2B.

Guys like Brandon Phillips amaze me.

cincyinco
06-13-2008, 05:28 AM
The most beautiful play in baseball is a fleet-footed Center Fielder who can suspend gravity during the very moment he's parallel to the ground in order to snag a Hit that should have been. The only thing that comes close to it is a Shortstop who ranges deep into the hole to field and then nails a Runner at First Base with a throw off his back foot.

Thank you! I was waiting for someone to mention a short stop going deep into the hole and throwing off the back foot to nip a runner.

To take your CF suggestion one step further, I think one of the most exciting plays is when an OF also goes up over the wall and somehow some way manages to pick off a HR. The glove disappeares behind the top edge of the wall and when it comes back over there's a baseball in it. It's like magic.

redsmetz
06-13-2008, 05:38 AM
This was a tough choice, but I finally chose the outfield assist. The most dramatic and exciting end to a game I ever saw was against Cleveland when we threw out a runner at the plate to end the game. I can still remember Larkin taking that relay and nailing the guy.

The irony was that we had friends who had joined us who aren't baseball fans ("are they athletes?" "it's boring", etc.). With their kids, they left what had up until the end been a rather mundane game (they happen, we all know that!). But that finish! Oh my goodness; it was worth the wait. I had to tell them they'd missed the most exciting ending one could see. To the non-fan, it's really hard to understand.

[A close second to this was Paul O'Neill nailing Andy Van Slyke at third in the playoff game at Riverfront - of course any play like that by O'Neill or Dave Parker - wow!]

jojo
06-13-2008, 06:46 AM
I love the suicide squeeze.

That said, the most "exciting" play in sports is the play at the plate.

Yachtzee
06-13-2008, 07:19 AM
I think the most beautiful play is the perfectly turned 6-4-3 double play, when the second baseman has to make the throw while leaping and turning to avoid being taken out by the runner. It involves the timing and coordination of 3 players to get two players out and, if done perfectly, looks like ballet on the field.

Those other players are certainly more exciting, but not necessarily more beautiful.

UKFlounder
06-13-2008, 08:00 AM
A good 3-6-3 DP where the first basemen has to make the throw then hustle back to the bag is fun too.

Great subject & discussion, but I can't really pick a favorite, out of those, though I suppose a play at the plate might be it.

I think the most beautiful play is the perfectly turned 6-4-3 double play, when the second baseman has to make the throw while leaping and turning to avoid being taken out by the runner. It involves the timing and coordination of 3 players to get two players out and, if done perfectly, looks like ballet on the field.

Those other players are certainly more exciting, but not necessarily more beautiful.

chicoruiz
06-13-2008, 08:08 AM
A good 3-6-3 DP where the first basemen has to make the throw then hustle back to the bag is fun too.

Funny you should say that, because I was going to say that I love to watch the 3-6-1 double play, where the first baseman goes into the hole and the pitcher hustles over and covers first. Haven't seen one in a while, though.

Another cool play is the thwarted double steal, where the second baseman jumps in front of the bag and rifles the throw home...

redsmetz
06-13-2008, 08:34 AM
The truth is, there is an endless possibility of some real beautiful plays during a season. I think it's one of the things that makes baseball the game I love. I know there are phenomanal plays in other sports. I'm thinking of Tiger Woods incredible shot at the Masters that even went so far as to get his sponsor a gazillion dollars worth of advertising, but they strike me as very rare. In baseball, you can witness something like any of these options, day in day out.

15fan
06-13-2008, 08:47 AM
A balk.

Followed closely by the intentional walk.

I can't think of anything in another sport that would be the equivalent of the balk or the intentional walk.

Cyclone792
06-13-2008, 08:53 AM
A balk.

Followed closely by the intentional walk.

I can't think of anything in another sport that would be the equivalent of the balk or the intentional walk.

That's numbers four and five for me. Here's my top three countdown:

#3) Repeated pickoff attempts at first base

#2) The fake to third, then back to first pickoff move

#1) Any Corey Patterson plate appearance

gonelong
06-13-2008, 09:13 AM
I think there are a couple of different categories of beautiful.

The bang-bang of a an attempted bunt single, a pulled-in infield and a play at the plate, a steal of third, or a suicide squeeze.

Then there are those plays that sort of develop in front of your eyes ... tension building to an unknown conclusion. A sac fly with a runner at third, a SS going deep into the hole, a triple, a 5-4-3 double play, a long drive into the gap with the CF in pursuit, or a high fly ball with the OF pressed up against the wall.

My favorite plays are either the SS or 2B ranging behind 2B and making the throw to 1B. You have instincts, speed, power, accuracy, and athleticism on display all in a split second.

GL

princeton
06-13-2008, 09:27 AM
almost anything Ozzie Smith did

a play that I really like is a great low throw home, on line but cut off and thrown to second or third to get the batter. Lots of moving parts, power and skill, fundamentals, communication, a bit of misdirection. I also like the acknowledgement that you're not going to prevent the run but you need to get what you can. As a longtime Reds fan, I'll take what I can get.

I also like seeing that play fail badly (as happens regularly with my son's team). it makes you appreciate what goes into it.

Roy Tucker
06-13-2008, 10:32 AM
If the question is "what's the most beautiful play?", I'll go with the centerfielder making a long run to make an over-the-shoulder catch.

The ball takes a long, soaring arc, the fielder takes a long, carefully plotted path, the crowd holds its breath in anticipation of "will he get there?", and like the solution of a complex geometry problem, they arrive at the same point where the CF makes a fluid and graceful catch.

Like looking at the handle of a Grecian urn in a museum.

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Someone else mentioned it earlier, but a walk off hit is very exciting because usually the crowd are on their feet and the ballpark is buzzing.

Chip R
06-13-2008, 11:16 AM

Admit it, you're really George Grande, aren't you?

jmcclain19
06-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Admit it, you're really George Grande, aren't you?

That would be very George Grande esq wouldn't it? Posing as a Yankees loving female on a Reds message board?

Chip R
06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
That would be very George Grande esq wouldn't it? Posing as a Yankees loving female on a Reds message board?

Well, you know his/her story. ;)

MartyFan
06-13-2008, 01:26 PM

When I was a kid, I was at a game in riverfront and the Reds were down by something like 6 runs in the bottom of the 9th...the team had scored a couple of runs and put a couple more on base and the Phillies pitcher was rattled...Dan Driessen came to bat and hit an inside the ballpark HR...then another player (I think Bench) came up to bat and hit one OUT to win the game.

So, we came back from behind...had an inside the ballpark HR and then a Walk Off HR to win the game...that was Reds baseball, 1976.

bucksfan2
06-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Jim Edmonds in his prime, especially against the Reds. He put on a clinic out there in CF whenever he saw a Red step up to bat.

RedlegJake
06-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Gene Alley to Bill Mazeroski to Clendennon at first. You had to have seen Maz turn the double play to understand. He was so smooth and graceful -no matter where or how he received the throw he simply pirouetted and flicked a perfect throw with both feet floating above the sliding runner. Nobody and I mean nobody has ever turned a DP the way Maz did. Always perfectly in control, balanced, never a wasted motion or an errant throw. He was to second base what Ozzie was to shortstop.

Mario-Rijo
06-14-2008, 02:09 AM

Absolutely what I was thinking when I saw the title of the thread. #11 way in the hole and does the turn and fire in mid air to just nip the runner.

Ya know the jump, the one Derek Jeter created! :rolleyes:

As a sorta close 2nd the gravity defying catch described here as well especially when the game hangs in the balance. Ryan Freel took my breath away when he stole that drive to right center off of Pujols a couple years back.

fearofpopvol1
06-14-2008, 03:07 AM
How about stealing home? Mostly just because it's so rare (though Vizquel did it this evening)!

Also semi-rare, but I think the walk-off home run to win the game is one that absolutely should be included in the list. I don't know that there is anything more exciting to me than that.

Jpup
06-14-2008, 12:51 PM
The most beautiful play is a 6-4-3 double play, but the most exciting thing for me is to watch very gifted athletes play. Guys like Hamilton, Bonds, Jr., Larkin, Davis, ARod and so on. Jay Bruce is about as exciting to watch as anybody in the game right now other than Josh. I really love watching a great pitcher go to work as well. The was nothing like watching Clemens, Pedro, & guys like that in their prime.

mth123
06-14-2008, 04:24 PM
For me its an Adam Dunn Moonshot. But of the list, I'll take the 6-4-3 DP. I like watching guys make the pivot at 2B. The 4-6-3 is not as fun.

VR
06-14-2008, 08:29 PM
That Pete Rose headfirst slide into 3rd in 1984 was pretty.