PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else studying for the CPA?

Homer Bailey
06-13-2008, 02:49 AM
I'm trying to get going and struggling. Mainly because I spend way too much time on this site. I was wondering if anyone else out there was studying for it and we could try and pace ourselves together? Or has anyone taken it recently that has advice to give? Anything will help.

cincy jacket
06-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I need to start but I keep putting it off. I graduate tomorrow and still need 12 more hours to reach the 150 hours but hope to knock that out this summer while starting to prepare for the CPA.

Boston Red
06-13-2008, 02:56 PM
You guys don't even have to sit in a barn (also known as a state fairgrounds or a convention center) anymore and take all four parts in the same room as a thousand other people (about a quarter of whom are on about their eighth try and will never make it and are nervous wrecks) over two days do you? Weak!

I had to walk seven miles uphill both ways in the snow to take my CPA exam.

Highlifeman21
06-13-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm trying to get going and struggling. Mainly because I spend way too much time on this site. I was wondering if anyone else out there was studying for it and we could try and pace ourselves together? Or has anyone taken it recently that has advice to give? Anything will help.

This explains where Homer Bailey's fastball has gone.

He's too busy studying for the CPA.

Spring~Fields
06-13-2008, 05:30 PM

Have you tried any of those CPA review courses? Do you have previous test questions and answers to review and to study? My understanding was that the CPA exam is two days and eight hours long each day, unless I was misinformed.

Some or many have found them to help over just self review. I would recommend that you not let yourself get distracted. I once studied for the CPA review and test, guess who let themselves get distracted? You might ask some of your professors who are actually CPA’s what the best course of preparation is.

Spring~Fields
06-13-2008, 05:33 PM

So did you pass or did you end up making snow cones like me? :eek:

Spring~Fields
06-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I graduate tomorrow and still need 12 more hours to reach the 150 hours but hope to knock that out this summer while starting to prepare for the CPA.

150 hours, is that credit hours and is that the rules for sitting for the CPA exam, to have a 150 credit hours? Being a Baker/Patterson critic isn't paying too much these days, maybe I should come out of oblivion and try it again.

cincy jacket
06-13-2008, 06:05 PM
150 hours, is that credit hours and is that the rules for sitting for the CPA exam, to have a 150 credit hours? Being a Baker/Patterson critic isn't paying too much these days, maybe I should come out of oblivion and try it again.

Yeah in Ohio at least you have to have 150 Semster Hours, or 225 Quarter hours. The test is now broken up into 4 sections. You take them one at a time, but they are only offered certain times of the year. The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours. There are a few other requirements, but the main one is the 150 Hour rule.

Spring~Fields
06-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah in Ohio at least you have to have 150 Semster Hours, or 225 Quarter hours. The test is now broken up into 4 sections. You take them one at a time, but they are only offered certain times of the year. The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours. There are a few other requirements, but the main one is the 150 Hour rule.

"The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours."

That's not too bad from the hours that I was told in ancient times.

Homer Bailey
06-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Have you tried any of those CPA review courses? Do you have previous test questions and answers to review and to study? My understanding was that the CPA exam is two days and eight hours long each day, unless I was misinformed.

Some or many have found them to help over just self review. I would recommend that you not let yourself get distracted. I once studied for the CPA review and test, guess who let themselves get distracted? You might ask some of your professors who are actually CPA’s what the best course of preparation is.

Yeah the company has paid for all of the study materials, but I'm just having trouble pacing myself. I'm making a little bit of progress, but just keep getting too distracted.

cincy jacket
06-13-2008, 11:34 PM
"The length varies from 2.5 to 4.5 hours."

That's not too bad from the hours that I was told in ancient times.

Yeah it's really not that bad. The FAR or Auditing section is 4.5 hours, but after that each section is only 2.5-3.5 hrs each.

Yeah the company has paid for all of the study materials, but I'm just having trouble pacing myself. I'm making a little bit of progress, but just keep getting too distracted.

I'm in the process of getting my Becker review material from my work. I am dreading getting started. Have you given any thought to doing the CMA also after the CPA?

Buckeye33
06-14-2008, 12:18 AM

Well then you better sell those tickets you bought off me for tomorrow's game!

;)

Spring~Fields
06-14-2008, 02:15 AM
Yeah it's really not that bad. The FAR or Auditing section is 4.5 hours, but after that each section is only 2.5-3.5 hrs each.

I'm in the process of getting my Becker review material from my work. I am dreading getting started. Have you given any thought to doing the CMA also after the CPA?

Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of taking the certified management accounting after the CPA ? I knew of guys that were going to take it before the CPA when I was in school. At the time they indicated that they felt it would be the right course or direction for them at the time, they were going to sit for the CPA later.

Becker review in their assemblies goes over and covers a lot of material fast, with a lot of material to work on at home. (at least they use too) They do have a high success rate of first time pass. The Becker review was based on past CPA exams and they would cover most of the questions that have appeared on the CPA in the past, which helps.

Are you already with an accounting firm or did you work in accounting during or after school ? Financial, cost or management acct. ?

Spring~Fields
06-14-2008, 02:25 AM

;)

Yeah he is going to have to get his debits and credits in order and do a cost benefit analysis of ballgames or reviews :)

Ah, someday he will be sitting up there in the plush diamond seats and won't even remember us old redzoners.........:D

Homer Bailey
06-14-2008, 02:37 AM

;)

Haha, the fact that I saw that they were available goes to show how easy it is for me to get distracted. I shouldn't be studying on a Saturday anyway.... should I?

Re: CMA. No haven't thought about it. The CPA will be plenty. I've gotten through 6 chapters of the Bisk Review, and am starting to keep a better pace.

Redlegs23
06-14-2008, 03:08 PM
I keep putting it off. I got the Becker cd review course through my company, but I just finished up my Master's and now I have to start studying. I have a big project at work coming up in July, so I'll be too busy to put too many study hours in. I plan on taking the first section in September, 2nd at the end of October, 3rd in December, and 4th in January. Not exactly looking forward to it. When are you taking it? And in what order?

cincy jacket
06-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of taking the certified management accounting after the CPA ? I knew of guys that were going to take it before the CPA when I was in school. At the time they indicated that they felt it would be the right course or direction for them at the time, they were going to sit for the CPA later.

Becker review in their assemblies goes over and covers a lot of material fast, with a lot of material to work on at home. (at least they use too) They do have a high success rate of first time pass. The Becker review was based on past CPA exams and they would cover most of the questions that have appeared on the CPA in the past, which helps.

Are you already with an accounting firm or did you work in accounting during or after school ? Financial, cost or management acct. ?

The biggest benefit is if you have completed the CPA you do not have to take part 2 of the CMA. I work with a local accounting firm doing mainly financial accounting but varies from project to project.

Spring~Fields
06-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh, ok,

Well I sincerely wish each of you the best. I know that it is a heavy work load, but, I got to believe that you each will do great with the challenge.

Hoosier Red
06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
In the same vein, I am looking at adding to my MBA education. Does anyone know what is required for an MBA grad to take the CPA required education?

I'm going to try and obtain my CTP certification this fall, but I'd like to maybe get the CPA when I graduate in 2010.

Redlegs23
06-16-2008, 07:00 PM
http://www.beckercpa.com/indiana/index.cfm

Here's Indiana's requirements. You will probably just need to make sure you have the required accounting hours.

Homer Bailey
10-11-2010, 08:45 PM

28 months later and it's still the exact same story. Just depressing.

edabbs44
10-11-2010, 09:12 PM

OK, this cracked me up.

Redsfan320
10-11-2010, 09:24 PM
CPA exam? As in Certified Public Accountant?

Homer Bailey
10-11-2010, 09:27 PM
CPA exam? As in Certified Public Accountant?

Yes

MWM
10-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Oh, bad memories of preparing for the CPA. I got deathly sick 2 days before I took it 10 years ago and couldn't do any of the last minute practice testing. I wound up passing all but business law (took it in Harrah arena in Dayton). I realized very quickly that I HATED being a CPA (I did audit for D&T in Cincy) and decided to not worry about it and have never regretted it. It's great for some, not for others.

cincy jacket
10-11-2010, 10:38 PM

I have three sections down and am sitting for what I hope to be my final section the 29th of this month.

The best advice I can give is just keep at it. I failed 7 times and then passed my last three sections in a row. Of those 7 fails I had 4 74's and a 72. The 4 straight 74's were tough to take but I'm glad i kept at it.

Hoosier Red
10-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I agree with Cincy Jacket, it's a big old hang with em.

I actually passed my CTP exam in the Winter of 2009, and finished my MBA this past Spring. The only problem was that I didn't have enough accounting credits to qualify, so now I'm taking classes through Berkeley's On-line extension to claim enough accounting credits to sit for the exam in February and March.

*BaseClogger*
10-12-2010, 01:27 PM
This thread cracks me up because it's me two years from now... :laugh:

Edd Roush
10-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I was considering starting to study for the CPA this spring while finishing up my MBA. I am currently talking MBA classes while studying and taking the CMA. The format of the CMA has recently been changed to only be a two part test. This has doubled the material in each section. I am currently doing the Gleim review and feel like it helped me with the first part. I just hate that I can always study more for these tests. There is a lot of material on each part and I don't like how your actual score doesn't matter nearly as much as just passing.

Cincyjacket, I can't imagine how you felt getting those 74s, that had to be rough. I just hope I can pass each part the first time so I can move on to the CPA, but I will have to wait to get my CMA results.

cincy jacket
10-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Cincyjacket, I can't imagine how you felt getting those 74s, that had to be rough. I just hope I can pass each part the first time so I can move on to the CPA, but I will have to wait to get my CMA results.

It was really tough. I read an article from the AICPA saying 74's are really rare. I wanted to find that guy and ask him what was going on if that was true.

I started MBA classes this fall also. I really need to finish this last section this window also because the CPA exam format changes in January. They add international standards in January and I really don't want to deal with learning that.

Edd Roush
10-12-2010, 08:55 PM
It was really tough. I read an article from the AICPA saying 74's are really rare. I wanted to find that guy and ask him what was going on if that was true.

I started MBA classes this fall also. I really need to finish this last section this window also because the CPA exam format changes in January. They add international standards in January and I really don't want to deal with learning that.

Yea, I know about the addition of IFRS. I actually think it will help my score, because UD is shoving IFRS down our throats. Good luck on the last part though man.

Redlegs23
10-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Since my last post on the thread I passed the CPA, not quite how I expected though. I passed my first three sections, and failed BEC with a 74. I don't know how you got four 74's and kept going, I was ready to crawl in a hole and quit after one. Luckily I passed BEC on the second try and have been licensed for just over a year.

I also just passed my series 7 exam, and I start studying tomorrow for the series 66 which I take in a couple weeks. I feel like I will never be done studying and taking tests, even though I may actually be done with my test taking for good in two short weeks.

My advice to anyone that is studying for the CPA, if you really want to pass and not throw a ton of money down the drain, study your arse off for 4-6 weeks. Do every multiple choice question you can get your hands on, and make sure you understand the concepts. Schedule your test for a Tuesday and take Monday off work. Lock yourself to your desk chair from Saturday morning until Monday night before the exam and do practice tests from morning until night. Your life will suck, but it will be over shortly. Trust me, I like to party as much as anyone and it killed me spending my Friday and Saturday nights before the exam studying, but I made myself do it and it worked for me.

The CPA isn't easy, but that's because it's a lot of material to know, not because it's brain surgery. If you put in the time, you will pass it. I'm not talking about spending two nights a week studying, I'm talking about spending 2-3 hours every night after work for a month or so, and dedicating a good chunk of your weekends to studying. If you try and study off and on and don't give it 100% effort there's a good chance you will not pass. Good luck.

Hoosier Red
10-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Since my last post on the thread I passed the CPA, not quite how I expected though. I passed my first three sections, and failed BEC with a 74. I don't know how you got four 74's and kept going, I was ready to crawl in a hole and quit after one. Luckily I passed BEC on the second try and have been licensed for just over a year.

I also just passed my series 7 exam, and I start studying tomorrow for the series 66 which I take in a couple weeks. I feel like I will never be done studying and taking tests, even though I may actually be done with my test taking for good in two short weeks.

My advice to anyone that is studying for the CPA, if you really want to pass and not throw a ton of money down the drain, study your arse off for 4-6 weeks. Do every multiple choice question you can get your hands on, and make sure you understand the concepts. Schedule your test for a Tuesday and take Monday off work. Lock yourself to your desk chair from Saturday morning until Monday night before the exam and do practice tests from morning until night. Your life will suck, but it will be over shortly. Trust me, I like to party as much as anyone and it killed me spending my Friday and Saturday nights before the exam studying, but I made myself do it and it worked for me.

The CPA isn't easy, but that's because it's a lot of material to know, not because it's brain surgery. If you put in the time, you will pass it. I'm not talking about spending two nights a week studying, I'm talking about spending 2-3 hours every night after work for a month or so, and dedicating a good chunk of your weekends to studying. If you try and study off and on and don't give it 100% effort there's a good chance you will not pass. Good luck.

Did you take the test all at once Redlegs? I'm thinking of taking two sections in February and two sections in March with about two weeks between each section.
I figure that plus all the time I've spent on accounting this fall should leave me prepared to take the exam.

Redlegs23
10-14-2010, 09:22 PM
I think took on in October, one in December, one in January, and the last one in May after I got out of tax season. Failed the one in May with a 74 and re-took it in July.

I would take financial first to get it out of the way, it's definitely the hardest with the most material. I know a couple horror stories of people taking it last and not being able to pass it, and ultimately they started losing credits and had to re-take multiple sections because they couldn't pass financial.

cincy jacket
11-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I received my final passing score this morning. I am now officially (pending passage of an Ethics exam) a CPA.... Glad to have the whole process behind me. Good look to every one else still going through. Just keep at it.

Hoosier Red
11-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Congratulations Cincy Jacket. That's fantastic news.

Hoosier Red
09-22-2011, 10:32 PM
So I got my first grade back, 74 on the Reg exam. Something I just considered, all failing grades aren't labeled as 74 correct?
I really was 1 point away from passing?

In either case, fiddlesticks.

Homer Bailey
09-23-2011, 12:36 PM
So I got my first grade back, 74 on the Reg exam. Something I just considered, all failing grades aren't labeled as 74 correct?
I really was 1 point away from passing?

In either case, fiddlesticks.

Sucks man. Sorry, all failing grades aren't labeled as 74. You failed by one point. I've been there, believe me.

Still haven't passed by the way. A solid 3+ years after starting this thread.

Patrick Bateman
09-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Sucks man. Sorry, all failing grades aren't labeled as 74. You failed by one point. I've been there, believe me.

Homer, I never noticed this thread.

I just wrote for my CA a week ago (that would be the equivalency in Canada), not sure how your's works, but we can only write for ours once a year, and if you fail, you have to wait until the next year. As well, you only get 3 attempts and then you're out. I have to wait until December to get my marks back. It's considered such a difficult exam here that you have to take 2 and a half months off from work just to study for the damn thing.

Anyways, sorry to hear it's been a rough go for you, and certainly hope you turn things around soon.

*BaseClogger*
09-23-2011, 03:33 PM

Dude.

Homer Bailey
09-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Homer, I never noticed this thread.

I just wrote for my CA a week ago (that would be the equivalency in Canada), not sure how your's works, but we can only write for ours once a year, and if you fail, you have to wait until the next year. As well, you only get 3 attempts and then you're out. I have to wait until December to get my marks back. It's considered such a difficult exam here that you have to take 2 and a half months off from work just to study for the damn thing.

Anyways, sorry to hear it's been a rough go for you, and certainly hope you turn things around soon.

Our process is very different, but good luck with your marks. Sounds like a pretty daunting process up there.

Dude.

I know man. It's just impossible to do once you start working. I'm going to have to take a sabbatical next spring to get this thing over and done with for good. Very frustrating.

Homer Bailey
06-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Almost 5 years after starting this thread, I can proudly announced I have officially passed the CPA exam.

Patrick Bateman
06-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Congrats HB. Welcome to the brotherhood!

Razor Shines
06-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Almost 5 years after starting this thread, I can proudly announced I have officially passed the CPA exam.

You still decided to go through with that? I would rather you were more secure in your career as a pitcher but congrats all the same.

Tom Servo
06-24-2013, 05:16 PM
You still decided to go through with that? I would rather you were more secure in your career as a pitcher but congrats all the same.
It took him about 5 years to reach his full potential as a pitcher, it only makes sense that he saw it through at about 5 years to become a CPA.

wolfboy
06-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Congrats!

Jmiller21kg
06-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Congrats! I am an accounting and finance double major, so if I get in with an accounting firm I will have to go through this process next summer.

Boston Red
06-25-2013, 04:26 PM
You guys don't even have to sit in a barn (also known as a state fairgrounds or a convention center) anymore and take all four parts in the same room as a thousand other people (about a quarter of whom are on about their eighth try and will never make it and are nervous wrecks) over two days do you? Weak!

I would like to point out that five years into this thread I am STILL bitter about the changes to the CPA testing process!