PDA

View Full Version : School officials lie to kids and tell them their classmate was killed by drunk driver

cincinnati chili
06-13-2008, 04:29 AM
Am I the only one here who thinks that the grown ups are morons?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/12/drunken.driving.ap/index.html

RedFanAlways1966
06-13-2008, 07:56 AM

Nope. The people who thought of that idea and the people who agreed to do it are morons. Some can try real hard to paint it a certain way, but will never convince me that it was a good idea. These people are educators? Scary.

SandyD
06-13-2008, 08:13 AM
I think I would remove my child from that school ... if I had a child at that school.
And make it very clear why. These adults just lost all credibility with the students.

If something bad really happened, would the students believe them?
If there's really a fire, and not a drill, will the students evacuate the school?

Donder
06-13-2008, 11:09 AM
If something bad really happened, would the students believe them? If there's really a fire, and not a drill, will the students evacuate the school?

That actually brings up an interesting comparison although I'm sure you didn't intend to. On some level this scenario is similar to a fire drill. In a fire drill, tornado drill, or a practice lock down, the students do not know that it isn't an actual fire, tornado, or emergency.

I think that what the school did was irresponsible and I wouldn't try to defend them, I just thought a loose comparison could be made there.

westofyou
06-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Southern California is a weird place.

That would never happen above San Luis Obsipo... has to be the Santa Anas winds.

Roy Tucker
06-13-2008, 11:36 AM
If our school district did this, I'd have some pretty serious heartburn with it.

We're dealing with 14-18 yr. old teens who aren't the world's most stable people to begin with. Confronted with the horrendous news of their friends' deaths the schools concocted up, I could see events rapidly spiraling out of control. The law of unintended consequences is written in big red letters all over this.

A serious lapse of judgment on the schools part IMO.

NJReds
06-13-2008, 12:40 PM
The officials that came up with that idea should be canned. It shows a complete lack of judgement.

Yachtzee
06-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I imagine the worst part of it all would be that immediate reaction and then the search to make sure the people you care about are okay. I would believe the first thing those kids would do is start looking around to see who was there and who was absent to make sure their friends are okay. If someone stayed home sick or had an appointment or something, everybody's first thought would probably be "they're dead!"

Yachtzee
06-13-2008, 03:15 PM

I haven't studied torts since the bar exam, but I was wondering if maybe the kids might have a claim for NIED/IIED (negligent or intentional infliction of emotional distress).

RedsManRick
06-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Do we know if this is a private or a public school? It would be one thing for a private school to choose this "method" of education, but for a public school to use such bush league tactics for moral education just strikes me as beyond the bounds of their authority. Why not just threaten to be the kids if they turn in their homework late?

Certain lessons should be imparted by parents, who know their children well enough to apply the appropriate type of pressure. I'd hate to see the school district's money wasted on a lawsuit, but I would support a serious reprimand, if not a request for resignation, of the person in charge.

Boston Red
06-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I haven't studied torts since the bar exam, but I was wondering if maybe the kids might have a claim for NIED/IIED (negligent or intentional infliction of emotional distress).

Maybe. It would definitely be IIED, because their entire stated intent was to inflict emotional distress. Those with drama backgrounds and daddies (or mommies) who are lawyers might be showing off "physical manifestations" of the emotional distress these days. It's a required element of the tort.

cumberlandreds
06-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Pretty flabbergasting! You just don't play with anyone's emotions like that. I do wonder if they would have a valid lawsuit?

RFS62
06-13-2008, 05:03 PM

That's an insult to morons everywhere.

RosieRed
06-13-2008, 06:03 PM
What happened to the good ol' days of a staged wreck outside your high school, with "dead" and "injured" students involved?

aerontg
06-13-2008, 07:40 PM
I think what the school did was terribly wrong.

SandyD
06-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Here's something interesting to think about:
When I was in 5th grade, (school year 68-69) a friend of mine lost her younger sister(4-5 years old) in an accident with a drunk driver. But they didn't tell us ... the kids ... that the at fault driver was drunk when the accident occurred. It was something we didn't talk about.

I don't have a problem with the public schools trying to educate kids about the hazards of drunk driving. It affects more than just the individual. But there are much better ways to handle it.

Redsfaithful
06-14-2008, 01:49 AM
Its always good to learn at a young age that the police will routinely lie to you as a normal part of doing their jobs.

aerontg
06-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Any BETTER suggestions on how to handle the task of getting through the thick skulls of teens on the dangers of drunken driving? Why not show the kids videos of accidents, aftermaths, REAL PHOTOS of victims, and "now" pictures of family that grew up without their loved ones? Basically what I have seen in this thread is the moral police coming out.

SandyD
06-14-2008, 09:38 AM
The police/school officials had good intentions. But you don't lie to someone about the death of a friend/classmate/coworker/family member.

Show the kids videos, etc, bring in victims and family members of victims, to talk about their experience, and how it has impacted their lives. Is there a way to recreate the reactions of a drunk driver in a simulator? What about showing an oncoming vehicle with a drunk driver?

I really think the intended message will be lost on these kids, because of the lie.

GoReds33
06-14-2008, 10:28 AM
That's an awful idea. These kids thought they lost their friends, and classmates. Whoever organized this event, and anybody at the school who thought it was a good idea should have been fired.

WVRed
06-14-2008, 11:25 AM
If anything, being that these are kids and the adult influences are LYING to them, I wouldn't be surprised to see some drunk drivers out of that mix as a result.

They always air the Debunkify ads on TV here to show kids the dangers of smoking, but some of these TV ads would make me want to start smoking if I were younger.

Moral of the story: Don't lie or exaggerate the dangers of smoking or drunk driving to kids. Explain the facts and the dangers, and definitely don't try to "bring it down to their level".

Example: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/104382

Ravenlord
06-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Piqua High School tried to do this when i was in 8th grade. After the dismissal of the Super Intendent and several other BOE adminsters, the couple of lawsuits for undue mental stress and damages were settled out of court.

good times.