PDA

View Full Version : Reds vs Red Sox

GAC
06-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Looking at the different direction both these teams have taken, a majority of Red fans can't expect much when the Sox visit GABP starting tonight.

The erratic and inconsistent way this current Reds team is playing, most would say we are way out of our class and that Custer had better odds at Little Big Horn.

And while I am no fan of inter-league play for the most part. Getting the opportunity to watch two teams face off, who last appeared against each other in what many say was the greatest WS ever (1975), is intriguing.

I bought the 1975 WS DVD collection a couple years ago. It's still a joy to watch.

I wish I could be there this weekend, regardless of the opposite state of these two teams. But I have a family reunion and other obligations.

I liked this article in the Cincy Enquirer though....

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080613/SPT04/806130417

Fisk's homer wonderful, but not Series outcome

Adrenaline spurted into my bloodstream. My heart pounded. An Old Milwaukee-fueled cheer rumbled up from deep in my chest.

Carlton Fisk had just launched a mammoth home run and the Boston Red Sox beat the Reds 7-6 in the 12th inning of Game 6 to stay alive in the 1975 World Series.

For a lifelong Red Sox fan, who was used to generally miserable seasons and all too infrequent pennants, that Fisk moment is seared deep into my memory.

Today, most folks probably think the Red Sox won that series. After all, clips of Fisk's home run and his arm pumping and him jumping have been shown more than Zapruder's film on the Kennedy assassination.

To set the record straight, the Reds won that series in seven games.
Joe Morgan singled in the ninth inning to score Ken Griffey and the Reds won Game 7 4-3, but the all-sports channels don't show clips of that, do they?

At the time, I was still in college, a die-hard fan of the Sox, the team that broke most New Englanders' hearts for nearly 60 years and continued to rub salt in fans' wounds until 2004. My father died without a championship, and I always felt bad for him. He was a guy who had an earplug running from his cheap transistor radio for every inning of every game of every year for as long as I knew him.

This weekend, I expect the ticket sellers' smiles along Second and Third streets will be as bright as halogen headlights on high beam.

That's because the Red Sox land here for a three-game series, a series that reignites 33-year-old memories in both Boston and Cincinnati.
There's a reason tickets are precious this week. The teams played in one of the greatest series in history.

The buzz for this series really began building on Oct. 11, 1975, when Luis Tiant twisted and twirled and kicked that meaty leg of his to pitch a 7-0 shutout and give the Red Sox a 1-0 series lead.

It increased in Game 2 when Griffey doubled home Dave Concepcion in the ninth inning to beat the Sox 3-2.

The series burned even hotter two days later when it shifted here. The Reds took the game 6-5 in 10 innings. Dwight Evans, the Red Sox right fielder, blasted a two-run shot in the bottom of the ninth to send the game into extra innings. That was one of six home runs in the game. Joe Morgan, however, finished things off when he knocked in Cesar Geronimo with the winning run in the 10th, giving the Reds a 2-1 series lead.

In Game 4, Tiant returned to the mound and led the Red Sox to a 5-4 win. He went nine innings and threw 163 pitches, a number many pitchers today reach in two games, not one. Think about that. One-hundred sixty-three pitches. Just saying it out loud is a mouthful.

Game 5 saw Tony Perez launch two home runs and drive in four, leading the Reds to a 6-2 win and giving Don Gullett a chance to shake off his loss in Game 1.

That win set up the dramatic sixth game and Fisk's home run and Morgan's RBI game-winner in the seventh.

Red Sox Nation will turn out tonight, Saturday and Sunday because its citizens seldom get the chance to see the team, unless they take the long trek to Cleveland.

Interleague play was supposed to generate excitement about the game. This series does what interleague play is supposed to do - build expectations, serve up a historical rivalry and provide a chance at payback.
Be honest: Who can muster enthusiasm in a game between the Reds and Kansas City Royals? The Red Sox and San Diego Padres? Series like that would produce yawns, not the spark this weekend brings.

Reds-Red Sox?

That's something to savor. Sure, the teams have gone in different directions since they last met, but the cachet of the series is just too good.

Forget high gas prices, grocery bills and TMZ's latest report on Lindsey Lohan.

It's June, the weather is balmy and the Reds play the Red Sox for the next three days.

For a weekend, the excitement is back. My heart's pounding a little faster than it has in awhile and I'm sure there will be a few beer-fueled cheers rumbling up from my now middle-aged midsection.

Joe Fenton is an Enquirer assignment editor and a lifelong member of Red Sox Nation.

klw
06-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Actually they last met three years ago when the sox swept the Reds in three awful games at Fenway.

blumj
06-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Everyone knows who's starting at 1B tonight for the Red Sox, right? Or, did you all not already know what a big softy Terry Francona is?

KittyDuran
06-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Everyone knows who's starting at 1B tonight for the Red Sox, right? Or, did you all not already know what a big softy Terry Francona is?Hugs for everyone!!!:D

Chip R
06-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Everyone knows who's starting at 1B tonight for the Red Sox, right? Or, did you all not already know what a big softy Terry Francona is?

He's got quite a choice. The Mayor or the hometown kid.

klw
06-13-2008, 12:51 PM
He's got quite a choice. The Mayor or the hometown kid.

He could use both by puting the hometown kid at 3rd

blumj
06-13-2008, 01:15 PM
He could use both by puting the hometown kid at 3rd
He could, but he's not doing it tonight. He might want to give Youkilis a bit of a break just because of the whole hometown thing.

PuffyPig
06-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Sure the BoSox are better than us, but we win way more games at home than they do on the road.

And they lose the DH.

klw
06-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Sure the BoSox are better than us, but we win way more games at home than they do on the road.

And they lose the DH.

well they already lost their dh

klw
06-13-2008, 03:10 PM
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=32732

to keep an eye on red sox nation

vaticanplum
06-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, if anyone saw a girl pitching a fit at the corner of Sixth and Walnut about a half hour ago, I'm sure that girl is very nice in everyday life, when not provoked by inappropriate signs and a self-loathing hometown.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/2576121818_714fb332db.jpg

Chip R
06-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Well, if anyone saw a girl pitching a fit at the corner of Sixth and Walnut about a half hour ago, I'm sure that girl is very nice in everyday life, when not provoked by inappropriate signs and a self-loathing hometown.

Lighter fluid and a match. Just sayin'.

Cyclone792
06-13-2008, 03:31 PM

You should tell them that two-thirds of Sam Adams is brewed right down the street.

At any rate, if the weather isn't too horrible tonight, I might end up at the Ranch after tonight's game.

blumj
06-13-2008, 03:43 PM
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=32732

to keep an eye on red sox nation
BTW, the thread titled, "I hate Kobe", really is the Red Sox game thread. It's also continuous, it'll go right from last night's Orioles game into tonight's Reds game.
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=32638&pid=1625983&st=420&#entry1625983

vaticanplum
06-13-2008, 03:47 PM
You should tell them that two-thirds of Sam Adams is brewed right down the street.

I, ah, may have already mentioned that to a couple of people drinking at the bar. Mind you, I didn't know that myself until a few months ago, but I know it now and that's enough for me to be militant.

Matt700wlw
06-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Nobody expected the Reds to win 2 of 3 a few years ago against the Yankees, either...

:)

blumj
06-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Did you guys know Justin Masterson grew up in Ohio, too?

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Hopefully Justin Masterson is far from masterful tonight.

Spring~Fields
06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Hopefully Justin Masterson is far from masterful tonight.

Information on tonight’s pitcher for Boston

Justin Masterson #63 Starting Pitcher Boston Red Sox
Height: 6-6 Weight: 250 Bats: R Throws: R
Born: Mar 22, 1985 - Kingston \College: San Diego State
Draft: 2006 - 2nd round by the Boston Red Sox

IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
24.1 14 7 7 3 12 18 2.59 1.07 .169

G 4 GS 4 W 3 - L 0

Jun 13 MLB.com reports Boston Red Sox SP Justin Masterson (3-0, 2.59 ERA) will start Friday, June 13, against the Cincinnati Reds.

Jun 9 Masterson pitched six strong innings, lifting the Red Sox to a 2-1 victory over the Seattle Mariners on Sunday.
Masterson (3-0) gave up one run on three hits and struck out four for Boston. Masterson has taken advantage of the injuries to Clay Buchholz and Daisuke Matsuzaka, compiling a 3-0 record and 2.59 ERA in four major league starts this year. In three of the four starts, he's allowed three or fewer hits in six or more innings.

Jun 8 RHP Justin Masterson became the first Sox rookie to go undefeated in his first four starts at Fenway Park after working through six strong innings. He scattered three hits over his six innings of work, and OF J.D. Drew powered the Sox to victory by knocking in both of Boston's runs.

fearofpopvol1
06-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Did you guys know Justin Masterson grew up in Ohio, too?

Yep, near Dayton

MasonBuzz3
06-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Yep, near Dayton

Beavercreek, changes speeds and lots of movement down if I remember right from facing him in HS

Spring~Fields
06-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Rookie Justin Masterson (3-1) gave up three runs and struck out a career-high nine in 6 2-3 innings during his first career start on the road. This one came about an hour's drive from his hometown of Beavercreek, and a lot of family and friends were in the stands.

The 23-year-old pitcher got a loud ovation when he left the game.

"I think Beavercreek was very well represented," Masterson said. "You always want to be perfect when you go out in front of your friends and family, but Aaron Harang was really good today.

"That was probably the best I've felt. The ball was sinking really good. For the most part, my slider was moving. I hung a few pitches."

klw
06-14-2008, 12:09 AM
BTW, the thread titled, "I hate Kobe", really is the Red Sox game thread. It's also continuous, it'll go right from last night's Orioles game into tonight's Reds game.
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=32638&pid=1625983&st=420&#entry1625983

the game thread for tonight starts around page 22 of that thread and is a very enjoyable read.

fearofpopvol1
06-14-2008, 12:33 AM
the game thread for tonight starts around page 22 of that thread and is a very enjoyable read.

I 2nd this. Very entertaining. They're worse than RZ!!

paintmered
06-14-2008, 12:48 AM
I, ah, may have already mentioned that to a couple of people drinking at the bar. Mind you, I didn't know that myself until a few months ago, but I know it now and that's enough for me to be militant.

A while back, I was in the Boston area for a job interview. The company put me and all the other job candidates (none from New England) up in the same hotel. After the interviews, a few us of shared a few pints in the hotel bar and of course, everyone ordered a Sammy except me.

One of the guys, who was from St. Louis, commented at how much better the Sammy tasted because it was obviously fresher being so close to Boston. I think I broke his heart when I told him he was closer to the brewery in St. Louis than he was at that moment. The whole Boston Lager thing is pure marketing.

Didn't the recipe for Sam Adams come from an attic in Cincy?

fearofpopvol1
06-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Sean Casey, who played eight seasons for the Reds, was given a warm standing ovation by the Cincinnati crowd before his first at-bat in the second, tipping his batting helmet and waving to the fans.

"I played eight years here and I've always had a great relationship with the fans, and to be able to come back and get that type of ovation was probably one of the best moments of my career."

oregonred
06-14-2008, 01:30 AM
A while back, I was in the Boston area for a job interview. The company put me and all the other job candidates (none from New England) up in the same hotel. After the interviews, a few us of shared a few pints in the hotel bar and of course, everyone ordered a Sammy except me.

One of the guys, who was from St. Louis, commented at how much better the Sammy tasted because it was obviously fresher being so close to Boston. I think I broke his heart when I told him he was closer to the brewery in St. Louis than he was at that moment. The whole Boston Lager thing is pure marketing.

Didn't the recipe for Sam Adams come from an attic in Cincy?

I'm pretty sure the founder, Jim Koch, was from Cincinnati. Great marketing is a thing to admire...

WVRedsFan
06-14-2008, 02:14 AM
I 2nd this. Very entertaining. They're worse than RZ!!

Much discussion o fthis on the game thread.

I repeat. We're better. If this is what we want RedsZone to be...well, I won't be around much.

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2008, 02:17 AM
Much discussion o fthis on the game thread.

I repeat. We're better. If this is what we want RedsZone to be...well, I won't be around much.

Agreed. I've seen people on here wishing for Redszone to go to the SOSH formula. After reading that board I'm lefty wondering why? The game threads are worse than ours, and posters routinely drop the f-bomb over there. It's a nice board but Redszone is much better IMO.

blumj
06-14-2008, 08:47 AM
It's just different. They're okay with using their game threads as a dumping ground for all things emotional and reactionary as a way to segregate that from the main board and other forums. It seems to work for them, it doesn't work here. Redszone is a much nicer board, though.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-14-2008, 10:24 AM
I wonder if Ken Tremendous from Fire Joe Morgan.com posts over there.

After reading his site for some time (which I love) the tone on their game treads seems similar, which I feel is a bit excessive and unnecessary.

blumj
06-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I wonder if Ken Tremendous from Fire Joe Morgan.com posts over there.

After reading his site for some time (which I love) the tone on their game treads seems similar, which I feel is a bit excessive and unnecessary.

Yep.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showuser=24237

KronoRed
06-14-2008, 03:16 PM
I like their board, entertaining :D

BuckeyeRedleg
06-14-2008, 03:23 PM
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showuser=24237

Blocked. Can't see anything.

Degenerate39
06-14-2008, 03:35 PM

Not missing anything really.

blumj
06-14-2008, 03:42 PM
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=32003&st=80&p=1585287&#entry1585287
I guess you have to register to see that, it was just his member profile, though. This is just a random game thread he posted in, post #95.

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Another gem from a SOSH poster:

You have to be extremely unimpressed with Volquez's stuff to this point. I've seen one potentially above average pitch, his fastball, but he has no control of it. Everything else is average to below. It's amazing he has an ERA below 4 in any league

Goodness. Do we really want Redszone to be like that?

dougdirt
06-14-2008, 07:06 PM

HAHAHA. I guess those 9 strikeouts and just 1 walk came from the 'aggressive' Red Sox hitters, right?

Spring~Fields
06-14-2008, 07:09 PM

You have to be extremely unimpressed with Volquez's stuff to this point. I've seen one potentially above average pitch, his fastball, but he has no control of it. Everything else is average to below.

Even though Volquez struck out 9 and walked one. I wonder if he was equally unimpressed with their batters and their lack of ability to score more than two runs off of Volquez while strikeing out nine times. Maybe he meant the Reds offense.

blumj
06-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Ha! That had to be Temple. He does that all the time, everyone else pretty much ignores him.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-15-2008, 12:22 AM
I notice they keep ripping on GABP and NL baseball too.

What is it to rip on NL baseball? I don't get it. Because there's actually more strategy involved?

WVRedsFan
06-15-2008, 12:55 AM

Apparently. If it came from Bawstun, it must be just first class.

I'd just like to see a list of those SOSH didn't let in. They must be doozies!

blumj
06-15-2008, 12:16 PM
http://weei.com/Homepage/498786
WEEI in Boston streams their Sunday morning baseball show, which is on right now if anyone's bored enough to be interested. This used to be a much better program than it is now, so I'm not even sure I'm recommending that anyone bother, but, just in case.