PDA

View Full Version : Chris Valaika #13 on this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2008, 10:58 PM
No. 13 CHRIS VALAIKA, SS, REDS
Team: Double-A Chattanooga (Southern)
Why He's Here: .417/.481/.667 (10-for-24), 6 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 HBP, 2 BB, 4 SO, 0/1 SB
The Scoop: After ripping up Florida State League pitchers with a .363/.393/.585 line in 145 plate appearances, Valaika has proven he can hang in the Southern League, too. Now batting .287/.350/.450 in 143 Double-A plate appearances, Valaika highlighted his week with a 5-for-6 performance on Friday at Tennessee. With a heavy lower half, Valaika probably won't stick at shortstop, but a move to second base wouldn't ding his value too much, and he might have enough bat to be a productive big league regular at third base, too.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2008/266328.html

The_jbh
06-14-2008, 03:00 PM
I am excited about the future of Valaika... i envision a Chase Utley esque type 2Bman... big bat with power... good but not great defense... Dan Uggla is also a good comparison

move Phillips to SS, Valaika to 2B

mth123
06-14-2008, 04:16 PM
I am excited about the future of Valaika... i envision a Chase Utley esque type 2Bman... big bat with power... good but not great defense... Dan Uggla is also a good comparison

move Phillips to SS, Valaika to 2B

I like Valaika, but Utley and Uggla are extremely optimistic comparisons. I'm thinking more along the lines of a solid guy like Mark De Rosa (which is also pretty optimistic actually). He can play many positions and has some pop in his bat which will play very well at 2B, but I'd rather have Phillips as my 2B. If the Reds could spin off Valaika as part of a deal for something solid at the Catcher or CF positions I would not lament the loss. Nothing against the guy, but I'm sleptical of either he or Phillips being able to play SS, and 2B and 3B are already taken. As an OF, Valaika would probably be limited to a corner defensively and doesn't have the bat to be a starter on a good team. If the Reds keep him, he'll be best used as an offensive minded super-sub IMO. Some other team with more of a need at 2B may see Valaika as a long term solution and may be willing to deal the Reds something else to fill a different need. I'd be on the phone with the Giants if I were Walt.

Mario-Rijo
06-14-2008, 04:45 PM
I like Valaika, but Utley and Uggla are extremely optimistic comparisons. I'm thinking more along the lines of a solid guy like Mark De Rosa (which is also pretty optimistic actually). He can play many positions and has some pop in his bat which will play very well at 2B, but I'd rather have Phillips as my 2B. If the Reds could spin off Valaika as part of a deal for something solid at the Catcher or CF positions I would not lament the loss. Nothing against the guy, but I'm sleptical of either he or Phillips being able to play SS, and 2B and 3B are already taken. As an OF, Valaika would probably be limited to a corner defensivelty and doesn't have the bat to be a starter on a good team. If the Reds keep him, he'll be best used as an offensive minded super-sub IMO. Some other team with more of a need at 2B may see Valaika as a long term solution and may be willing to deal the Reds something else to fill a different need. I'd be on the phone with the Giants if I were Walt.

Valaika and Ross for Molina and Vizquel and cash?

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2008, 04:50 PM

No.

mth123
06-14-2008, 04:51 PM

They could keep Vizquel and the cash IMO.

Mario-Rijo
06-14-2008, 04:57 PM
No.

:D

Mario-Rijo
06-14-2008, 04:58 PM
They could keep Vizquel and the cash IMO.

Yeah I figured that would get a rise out of a few. Just kidding. :p:

But I would persue Molina.

mth123
06-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah I figured that would get a rise out of a few. Just kidding. :p:

Not really. It would be worth a guy like Valaika to upgrade from Ross to Molina IMO. Molina would add another bat to the line-up and be a massive upgrade to the defense behind the plate. Bako's defense is disappointing compared to his rep, but he'd be ok as a LH hitting back-up. Ross is atrocious. I can't stand his torreador act back there on plays at the plate. He and Javy may be the only defenders in the league that are as poor defensively at this position as Griffey is at his. It speaks volumes when there are two positions on the field in worse shape defensively than the one where Adam Dunn plays. SS may make 3.

I'd try to make it a bigger deal and see if the Reds could add Maloney and Belisle and get Kevin Correia back to be the 5th starter.

Valaika, Maloney, Belisle, and Ross for Molina and Correia. That would allow the Reds to send Bailey down and wait for him to get back whatever he lost.

Blitz Dorsey
06-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah, let's chill on the Chase Utley comparisons for now.