PDA

View Full Version : Justin Masterson and Creek14

Spitball
06-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Not to spread any rumors here, but are not Creek14 and Masterson from the same hometown of Beavercreek or Beaver Creek? I didn't check the game thread but I know she was from that town and '14 was the year her child was scheduled to graduate.

Masterson is also from that community.

paintmered
06-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Not to spread any rumors here, but are not Creek14 and Masterson from the same hometown of Beavercreek or Beaver Creek? I didn't check the game thread but I know she was from that town and '14 was the year her child was scheduled to graduate.

Masterson also from that community.

Yes, Masterson is from Beavercreek and creek currently resides there. (I will too after this weekend)

About 40,000 others reside there as well. ;)

AmarilloRed
06-13-2008, 11:41 PM
I spent some time in Beavercreek in my younger days.

Spitball
06-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Hmmm...local ties and groundball tendencies.

The Sox did trade Kason Gabbard (from Oxford, Ohio) down the stretch last year despite the fact he had been in their rotation.

red-in-la
06-14-2008, 12:10 AM
One night I spent a week in Beaver Creek. ;)

Spitball
06-14-2008, 08:50 AM
My dad tells me we went through it on visits to Wright Patterson Air Force Base. I remember going once with my family and once on a fieldtrip with my seventh grade class, but I don't have a clear vision of the town. That was back in the late 1960's and I've slept since then.

redsmetz
06-14-2008, 08:59 AM
A Boston Globe writer in today's story said Masterson was from Beavercreek, "about ninety minutes away". Unless I'm mistaken, it's only about an hour, isn't it?

Tommyjohn25
06-14-2008, 09:16 AM
A Boston Globe writer in today's story said Masterson was from Beavercreek, "about ninety minutes away". Unless I'm mistaken, it's only about an hour, isn't it?

Yeah it's maybe 70 minutes, tops. I just moved from there. I hope to move back soon, actually.

Heath
06-14-2008, 09:19 AM

Well, depends who is driving, what the occasion is, etc.

I once drove from near Exit 10 on I-675 - which is Indian Ripple, and was at Riverfront in about 35 minutes.

paintmered
06-14-2008, 02:49 PM

I'd say Sidney is about 90 minutes from Cincy. Growing up in Troy, It would take me about 1:15 to get from my parents' house to UC. Beavercreek to downtown Cincy should be about an hour.

Blitz Dorsey
06-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I played high school baseball at Beavercreek (for the same coach Masterson had -- although I'm a lot older) and I'm very proud of what "Bat" Masterson is doing. However, was glad to see the Reds win the game last night. Masterson is going to win a lot of games in his career with that nasty sinker.

And yeah, Beavercreek is an hour drive from Cincinnati (~60-65 miles). Masterson was born in Jamaica -- his parents were Christian missionaries. First MLB player ever born in Jamaica. However, people not familiar with his background are probably surprised when the first see him or his picture. "You mean THIS is the first Jamaican-born player to make it to the bigs?" LOL.

redsmetz
06-15-2008, 06:37 AM
Masterson was born in Jamaica -- his parents were Christian missionaries. First MLB player ever born in Jamaica. However, people not familiar with his background are probably surprised when the first see him or his picture. "You mean THIS is the first Jamaican-born player to make it to the bigs?" LOL.

Not according to baseball-reference.com. Masterson is one of four players born in Jamaica: Chili Davis, Devon White and Rolando Roomes (once of the Reds) are all listed with Kingston, Jamaica as their birthplace.

blumj
06-15-2008, 07:41 AM
and I'm very proud of what "Bat" Masterson is doing.

A pitcher called, "Bat"? I guess if you guys can have one named, "Homer". :D

Blitz Dorsey
06-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Not according to baseball-reference.com. Masterson is one of four players born in Jamaica: Chili Davis, Devon White and Rolando Roomes (once of the Reds) are all listed with Kingston, Jamaica as their birthplace.

That's interesting. I read that on Sportsline I believe. Apparently they were way off.

Blitz Dorsey
06-15-2008, 11:38 AM
A pitcher called, "Bat"? I guess if you guys can have one named, "Homer". :D

You might already know this, but there was a movie character in the 50's called Bat Masterson. Can't say I'm familiar with his work though :D

Masterson was a decent hitter in high school, so the nickname was more fitting back then. I don't even know if it stuck with him past high school. Our coach Rick Woolf (who is going to retire next year after 35 years as head coach) coined the nickname and no one called him Justin except his girlfriend. Ha.

blumj
06-15-2008, 11:48 AM
You might already know this, but there was a movie character in the 50's called Bat Masterson. Can't say I'm familiar with his work though :D

Masterson was a decent hitter in high school, so the nickname was more fitting back then. I don't even know if it stuck with him past high school. Our coach Rick Woolf (who is going to retire next year after 35 years as head coach) coined the nickname and no one called him Justin except his girlfriend. Ha.
Some Sox fans on one board I've seen call him, "Jedi", which makes me cringe. I actually kind of like, "Bat".

Big Klu
06-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Bat Masterson wasn't just a TV character--he was a real person. The real Bat Masterson was a lawman in the Old West--a contemporary of Wyatt Earp. Masterson and Earp were both deputies in Dodge City, Kansas in the late 1870's, and Masterson eventually became sheriff.

Blitz Dorsey
06-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Can I just say this: Justin "Bat" Masterson is just yet another case of the Reds doing a horrible job of finding local talent. Not saying they need to start drafting only players from the Greater Cincinnati area, that would be foolish. It's just odd the vast # of players from Cincinnati (or close to Cincinnati) who play elsewhere.

(Maybe Griffey scared them off? Ouch. There, I said it. Jokingly. I think.)

penantboundreds
06-15-2008, 08:06 PM
They drafted two players who graduated from Moeller High School this year in the draft....just saying, although they did not draft a number of other local products....if it were the bengals people would say they only take those people bc they live close and its easier to scout them.....take the player your scouts like the most, no reason to look at location IMO