PDA

View Full Version : 8.76

ChatterRed
06-15-2008, 08:08 PM
.....e.r.a.

I hate to say I told ya so, BUT........I TOLD YA SO. BWAHAAAAAAA!!!!! :thumbdown

Maybe if he had learned something in triple A, this wouldn't have happened. Maybe if he could put the hunting magazines down and start charting pitches, this wouldn't have happened. Maybe.........:thumbdown

SarasotaFan
06-15-2008, 08:13 PM
agreed.

garbage IMO. dump him back to AAA and bring Thompson up.....

redsfanmia
06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
.....e.r.a.

I hate to say I told ya so, BUT........I TOLD YA SO. BWAHAAAAAAA!!!!! :thumbdown

Maybe if he had learned something in triple A, this wouldn't have happened. Maybe if he could put the hunting magazines down and start charting pitches, this wouldn't have happened. Maybe.........:thumbdown

Have you ever charted pitches? Its not the most exciting thing ever and he could look at magazines while doing it.

SarasotaFan
06-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Have you ever charted pitches? Its not the most exciting thing ever and he could look at magazines while doing it.
probably not the most exciting thing but at least learn from it....you didn't read a science book in high school just for the hell of it did ya ?

captainmorgan07
06-15-2008, 08:29 PM
agreed.

garbage IMO. dump him back to AAA and bring Thompson up.....

I'd say ship him back to AAA and bring back Josh Fogg. We signed Fogg for the back end of the rotation so let's let him earn his money. Thompson needs more starts at AAA. No need to rush him up here like hmm that Bailey fellow. Let Fogg pitch it's not gonna be pretty we all know that but he did win 10 games last year.

ChatterRed
06-15-2008, 08:39 PM
No K's for Bailey today. Interesting.

AccordinglyReds
06-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Went to the game today....

Either leave him in Cincinnati or send him back to Louisville with a different approach or pitching coach/mentor.

As much as I like Thompson, I'd like to see him get more starts here in Louisville.

Why not Pettyjohn or Mallett if Fogg isn't ready and they don't want to throw Bailey out there? Why not let Bailey pitch how he wants to, also?

Cicero
06-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Bailey obviously needs some work. He is young though. I think in a year or two he could be a quality starter but is too green for the major leagues right now. It seems counterproductive to relish in his failures.

ChatterRed
06-15-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm not laughing at Bailey so much as I'm laughing at the posters on this board that wanted him up here. Hilarious.

Jack Burton
06-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Dudes, give Dick Pole some more time with him and he'll be Cy Young material before you know it. :beerme:

redsfan1966
06-15-2008, 11:09 PM
I was for Homer being called back up--and what the hell, we are out of it, lets let him go out there for a few more starts and see if he can turn it around--if not--lets chalk up Homermania as a bust....

Stephenk29
06-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Let him takes his lumps if need be, what's there to lose? He's either going to pan out and being a stud pitcher or he will be like 3/4 the pitchers the Reds have thrown out there the past 5 years. He has the potential, lets see if he can reach it. He's freaking 21.

It takes 30 seconds to write/analyze/comprehend a pitching chart, I don't read much into anyone who doesn't look to occupied with it.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Hal McCray, is that you? :rolleyes:

NorrisHopper30
06-16-2008, 12:19 AM
I went to the game today, and it really showed...Bailey is missing a finishing pitch. He does not have a pitch that he is confident throwing when the batter has 2 strikes on them. It seems like whenever he gets 2 strikes on a batter they always hit it hard..is this because he lost some zip on his fastball?

I haven't followed his minor league career like some people, what happened to Homer? Where did the Ks go?

AccordinglyReds
06-16-2008, 12:28 AM
You didn't happen to sit in section 139, did you? A guy a few rows back kept saying the same thing each time it happened.

I think some can be attributed to the different style of pitching they have been trying to instill in him, but I don't know if what he reaches back for with his fastball is all he's got (ie, throwing everything he's got). He was touching mid 90s at the Bats games I went to this season, but he needs better pitches to go with the fastball, whichever speed he throws it at. His curveball seems too inconsistent to be relied on.

AccordinglyReds
06-16-2008, 12:35 AM
I was for Homer being called back up--and what the hell, we are out of it, lets let him go out there for a few more starts and see if he can turn it around--if not--lets chalk up Homermania as a bust....

Are you kidding me? A few more starts will tell you that Homer is a bust, should he fail? I can't believe you are going to say Homer Bailey is a bust after 6-7 starts in a season. He just turned 22 years old in May...

You probably would have given up on Volquez and labeled him a bust if you followed the Texas Rangers organization when he didn't fare well in his MLB starts. Same can be said for many, many pitchers. :rolleyes:

NorrisHopper30
06-16-2008, 12:35 AM
I was 518 top row :)

I didn't see him hit higher than 91 today, I think he should at least be hitting 93 if he used to getting upper 90s.

I don't think he's injured, maybe it's bad coaching?

AccordinglyReds
06-16-2008, 12:37 AM
I was 518 top row :)

I didn't see him hit higher than 91 today, I think he should at least be hitting 93 if he used to getting upper 90s.

I don't think he's injured, maybe it's bad coaching?

I saw at least 93 on the radar at GABP today. His start seemed like a week ago during today's Titanic struggle, so it could have been the heat. ;)

Shawn_RedsFan
06-16-2008, 12:45 AM

Wow.....giving up on the Reds already....if you watched the game saturday (probably didn't since you have already gave up) did you just turn it off before the ninth because you had no faith in the Reds chance of coming back?

Redeye fly
06-16-2008, 12:46 AM
I think the most frustrating thing with Bailey is how long he's had to work on obtaining consistency with his secondary pitches and yet he still has not done so. Obviously, not every highly touted prospect is going to pan out, especially highly touted pitchers. And just because a kid is the "next" flame throwing Texas high schooler, that doesn't mean he's the next Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Josh Beckett, or even pre injury Kerry Wood.

All that being said, it's frustrating as a long time Reds fan, as pretty much all of us are, to see this again and again. Beckett dominated the minors, and I believe Wood did as well, and while both had some inconsistent efforts as they learned, they also showed a lot right away at the big league level, and showed that they had more than just a straight fastball to throw over the plate. Clemens was dominant at a young age, although he did go to college too. Ryan, well as we know he struggled for years with his control, but he was still dominant in terms of strikeouts and no hit possibilities.

Three starts is obviously a very small sample size, but given his performance in those starts and in Triple A this year, it seemed he pitched better last year when it was later known that he was dealing with an injury. This year he is allegedly healthy, and yet he's lost velocity. So where as last year he was throwing a straight but reasonably quick fastball at hitters, now he's throwing a straight and reportedly average at best fastball in terms of velocity at hitters, with no other pitches he can control for them to be thinking about.

I'm not going to say pitching is easy, particularly at the big league level. But Bailey was drafted when, 2005? He's been in the Reds system since then and still can not control any of his pitches other than a straight fastball that is reportedly losing some of the "fast". Either there's a problem with Homer Bailey or there's a problem with this organization and the guys we have guiding him. More than likely, it's some of both.