PDA

View Full Version : Mets "Clean House": Randolph, Others Fired

FlightRick
06-17-2008, 04:28 AM
Per Yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mets-randolphfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

Several hours after the Mets win in Anaheim, the team announced that Willie Randolph had been fired as manager, and several of his coaches were being let go as well. Jerry Manuel takes over, but only gets the "interim manager" title, and the rest of the coaching staff will be repopulated from the Mets' Triple-A team.

I'll leave the "Hey, let's see if we can't trade them the rights to Dusty" jokes to others. I'll just comment that this struck me as hilarious because it was just 3 hours ago that I watched "Baseball Tonight" and they had a roundtable about how they all agree that the danger had passed in Queens, and that it was clear that Randolph or his staff are doing a fine job, and how Mets management needs to call a team meeting to tell everybody that nobody's getting fired, not the manager, not the first base coach, nobody, so that the team could just get on with its business with no further distractions.

D'oh.

PTI (pti)
06-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Randolph was the sacrificial lamb - it's the front office that needed an overhaul. The Mets are absolutely the most poorly-run organization in sports, imo. No team gets less out of more - and it's been that way for years.

Jack Burton
06-17-2008, 10:43 AM
This should have been the Reds firing the moron Dusty, if any manager deserves to lose their job it's that bum.

BurgervilleBuck
06-17-2008, 10:52 AM
This should have been the Reds firing the moron Dusty, if any manager deserves to lose their job it's that bum.
:bang:

I'll post this as patiently and as politely as I can...

This is Dusty's first season. You cannot fire a manager half-way through his first season... especially a "name" manager. The only exception would be if this team were tanking. And they are not.

JWP
06-17-2008, 11:32 AM

This is Dusty's first season. You cannot fire a manager half-way through his first season... especially a "name" manager. The only exception would be if this team were tanking. And they are not.

But they are not winning the division!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is completely unacceptable.

For some reason I feel like I am one of the few that is fairly pleased that the Reds have been hovering fairly close to .500 for the majority of this season. I don't think that we have a .500 ballclub right now, so if Dusty ends this season with a .500 record, I think his first year will have been a success.

Overall I'm really not too worried. This team has a good future ahead of it. Most of my fears about Dusty, namely his handling of Volquez and Cueto, have been assuaged. The fact that he is a "veterans" manager has proven false with this team, with guys like Votto, Bruce, Keppinger, Volquez, and Cueto all top producers (not really Cueto).

I'm pretty excited about the next 3 years, even under Dusty Baker.

Also, on the Mets, I can't imagine what Tom Nieto, the (now ex) first base coach must be thinking. It has to be something along the lines of "what the hell did I do?" :p: Firing the first base coach along with the pitching coach and the manager sure seems like a weird move to me. Maybe it had something to do with his presence in the clubhouse.

ChatterRed
06-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I will go on record and say that I did not like the hiring of Dusty Baker and still don't.

Having said that, I have found some of the rumors of the way Dusty handles young pitchers and the "hacking" rumor to be false. The Reds are in the top 10 of mlb in taking walks. I don't see Dusty wearing out the pitchers arms, considering we have no complete games to date.

But I can't stand his lineups and loyalty to guys who just flat out aren't getting it done - that everyone and their mother can see but he somehow can't. I just don't think Dusty "gets it". Maybe he is past his prime as a manager?

Hondo
06-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Ya wanna know the worst thing about this... The Media...

The Media has been reporting all the chaos of the Mets organization... Reporting about Randolph possibly being fired, over and over and over...

3 weeks ago the Media was basically saying it was anyday. Oh, and lets not forget all the Media members who said Willie Randolph was needed to be held accountable...

Now I read from the same Media...

Mets fire Randolph in overnight Email | SHAMEFULL!

And ESPN is almost the worst... The past few weeks, they have been talking about Randolph being fired all over ESPN, ESPNews, ESPN 2, and on the ESPN.com site...

Now if you look at their site... It is all about calling the Mets organization a Circus, and how they can't believe it...

I mean, the Media is a joke and the Pressure they put on the Wilpons to do this is the Shamefull part... They get it done, then point to the next story, how the Mets are a joke for Firing the Guy... What a joke...

The Media.

BurgervilleBuck
06-17-2008, 01:31 PM
But they are not winning the division!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is completely unacceptable.
I was this close to firing off a scathing response to you but then I realized you were being sarcastic. Had you used one less !, though, you were going to get it with both barrels.

hee!

JWP
06-17-2008, 02:00 PM
I was this close to firing off a scathing response to you but then I realized you were being sarcastic. Had you used one less !, though, you were going to get it with both barrels.

hee!

Haha, I probably would scold myself if I was being serious.

Slyder
06-17-2008, 02:01 PM
His team is out west playing LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, they let him twist in the wind, theyve won 3 of 4 (including last night), they did it by email, did I mention they were on the other side of the nation did I miss any?

The media hasnt helped with the chaos but theres ways to fire someone and ways that are classless and dispicable. This rivals Jerry Jones firing Tom Landry and Landry finding out from a news guy while he was playing a round of golf he'd be canned.

Jack Burton
06-17-2008, 04:37 PM

What's your idea of tanking?

BurgervilleBuck
06-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Winning no games.

JWP
06-17-2008, 05:49 PM
What's your idea of tanking?

If you think what this team doing right now is "tanking" I have to ask you:

What is your idea of "reasonable expectations"?

Blue
06-17-2008, 06:17 PM

What on earth does being a "name" manager have to do with it? If you suck, you suck. He sucks. If you fail to put the team in its best position to win, it doesn't matter what your name is, you are a bad manager and deserve to be fired. He does so fail.

I don't know enough about Willie's situation to say whether I would like to see the Reds go after him. Regardless, he's got to be better than Dusty.

aerontg
06-17-2008, 06:36 PM
What's with the "go out on a limb", MONTHS after the fact? Where were you when Dusty was hired? :D

Jack Burton
06-17-2008, 07:27 PM
If you think what this team doing right now is "tanking" I have to ask you:

What is your idea of "reasonable expectations"?
Not being out of contention by all-star break.

Blue
06-18-2008, 12:51 AM
What's with the "go out on a limb", MONTHS after the fact? Where were you when Dusty was hired? :D

I was blindly optimistic. I'll admit that. Now I see what all the fuss was about. I still don't agree about him ruining Prior and Wood, but his mismanagement of this team is just jaw dropping.

BurgervilleBuck
06-18-2008, 11:15 AM
What on earth does being a "name" manager have to do with it? If you suck, you suck. He sucks. If you fail to put the team in its best position to win, it doesn't matter what your name is, you are a bad manager and deserve to be fired. He does so fail.
So you're willing to dump a guy with three division championships only seventy-three games into a season. Again, I ask, how is this good for the organization? Nobody seems to have an answer for this. Firing Dusty at this point is not going to make this team better. Nor is it going to make the Reds organization better. No manager worth his rep would be willing to work for a team that has let go three managers in a year.

This is not entirely Dusty's fault. Corey Patterson, yah, I'm with you. But most of these other players were in place before Dusty got here. We're tied to some contracts and some of our bigger money players are under-performing. Our home run king has only seven on the year. Our other slugger, while having a good OBP, is not hitting consistently. Our 30-30 guy from last year is not clicking. We do not have a starting catcher. We're patching holes at SS with Kepp, Gonz and Hairston out. We have no 5th starter. Our ace has a losing record. We've got youngsters that will be prone to mistakes.

A manager can only do so much but this team is not a good team.

Please, someone explain to me how firing Dusty now is good for this team. And preferably, give us an explanation that doesn't include the word "suck".

Blue
06-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Yes. I'm willing to dump this idiot who makes baffling and stupid moves night after night after night. Its not the players that make Dusty a bad manager. He has no control over that. Its how he uses the players in such a way as to make the team worse than it really is. Why is that acceptable to you?

BurgervilleBuck
06-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Why is that acceptable to you?
Because I went into this season knowing that we still had Griffey and Dunn's contracts on the books, that the only real improvement made was with pitching and it was at the expense of listening to folks whine about Hamilton, that this team was not going to be barnstorming or going wire-to-wire, that you can complain about how Dusty uses his players but there is nothing he can do to make bad players good.

I just think it'd be to this franchise's detriment to cut ties with Dusty soon. I'm not saying I'll forever be on the Baker Bandwagon but crimony, we're not halfway through the season yet.

Blue
06-18-2008, 05:59 PM
What don't you understand about the stupidity of Patterson hitting leadoff, Patterson anywhere in the lineup, Phillips hitting fourth, Dunn below the cleanup spot, the shortstop always hitting second, Paul Bako versus lefties, the 18-inning fiasco in San Diego, batting out of order, defensive replacements in late innings of close games that have on several occasions resulted in a punch-less offense in extra innings, letting Patterson hit last night with the game on the line, using David Weathers in late innings of close games, using Cordero in the 9th inning of 4-run games, not using Cordero in the 10th inning of a tie game, pitching a reliever with an unprecedented history of arm injuries for more than one inning at a time in a close game, ordering the lineup such that you can play for just one run in the first inning, bunting at the wrong times, and much much more?

How do these things become acceptable just because the team wouldn't be good anyway?