PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please teach Johnny Cueto and Edison Volquez to swing a bat?

LouisvilleCARDS
06-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Not asking for a pitcher to be made into a hitter, even a .100 hitter or anything - but can someone take the time to show these guys just to look competant when they're up there? I don't know who's swing looks worse, Cueto's or Volquez. They may as well be up there with women's purses swinging the bat the way it looks. Heck, spend half an hour a day just working on it would be alright. At least for the safety of the fans - imagine if one of these guys had their bat slip out of their hand! That thing is going about 10 rows in the stand and going to hurt someone. :bash:

Slyder
06-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Not asking for a pitcher to be made into a hitter, even a .100 hitter or anything - but can someone take the time to show these guys just to look competant when they're up there? I don't know who's swing looks worse, Cueto's or Volquez. They may as well be up there with women's purses swinging the bat the way it looks. Heck, spend half an hour a day just working on it would be alright. At least for the safety of the fans - imagine if one of these guys had their bat slip out of their hand! That thing is going about 10 rows in the stand and going to hurt someone. :bash:

You mean make it so they can get hurt running the bases and people start saying the NL needs grow up and play baseball the "21st century way"? never.

Trackman20
06-17-2008, 09:29 PM
After watching the way the rest of the team is "swinging" the bat........I'm not sure I want to see those guys make it that much worse.

It's getting worse and worse, every night we face Cy Young.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-17-2008, 09:37 PM
He just tried to lay a bunt down that went off the bat like it hit a wet fish.

Trackman20
06-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Clearly......we've lost ALL momentum we had from that great home stand a few weeks ago. Way to keep them motivated Dusty.

captainmorgan07
06-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Pitchers usually have one job at the plate and that's bunt. If you can't do it effectively get your butt out early to bp and work on it. Nothing burns me more than seeing a pitcher lay down a bad bunt and get the runner out at second.

Trackman20
06-17-2008, 09:57 PM
It's tough watching this team anymore.

It's been nearly a decade since they've had a winning season......the players get hot long enough to get us excited and then take a nose dive into complete obscurity on an annual basis.........AND DUSTY BAKER IS THE MANAGER.

Billingsley is an average pitcher who we are making look like Cy Young himself.........and unfortunately this happens just about every night these days.

Griffey012
06-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Billingsley is an average pitcher who we are making look like Cy Young himself.........and unfortunately this happens just about every night these days.

Billingsley is not an average pitcher. 12-5 last year with a 3.31 E.R.A. with almost 9k's per 9 and this year is 4-7 but has a 3.71 with over 9k's per 9. That is some pretty good stuff right there when his control is on, and it is tonight.

On another note: Cueto and Patterson's swings actually look pretty similar, completely unlevel and ugly and get through the plane of the pitch for a very small portion of the swing.

improbus
06-17-2008, 10:51 PM
I think we will see the DH in the NL in our lifetime. As much as I love its tradition and I love the strategy, pitchers shouldn't be hitting anymore. In the old days they hit at every level. Many pitchers today (including one member of my own family who pitched in the big leagues and had a career .057 average) haven't hit in a game since they were in middle school. My cousin even broke his finger bunting... Sorry old school guys, but The Times They Are a Changin'!

Slyder
06-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Micah Owings.

improbus
06-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Micah Owings.

I understand that some pitchers can hit. But the NL is the only league at ANY level and in ANY country to have the pitchers still hit. I appreciate them fighting the good fight, but having a DH in one league and not in the other is the dumbest thing in sports. It would be like not allowing Running Backs or Kickers in the AFC...

durl
06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
What's the team's batting average for June? I thought I read several days ago that it was something like .205?

If that's the case, I don't see what the hitting coach can do to make them better. I'd rather someone teach the 1-8 hitters to do something.

Big Hurt
06-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Pitchers usually have one job at the plate and that's bunt. If you can't do it effectively get your butt out early to bp and work on it. Nothing burns me more than seeing a pitcher lay down a bad bunt and get the runner out at second.

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! We have a winner!:thumbup:

Jones1
06-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Actually Cueto has the most bunts on this team with 5 or 6. So im happy with what he is doing in his young career

bounty37h
06-18-2008, 01:32 PM

Are you frickin kidding me?? Have you seen the way our position players hit, they cant even do it, I think they all look incompetant up there!!!!!

Fon Duc Tow
06-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Don't tell us, tell Bronson to get it done. ;)

Seriously though, I'd be happier if pitcher time was devoted to laying down the sac bunt, rather than just regular batting practice.