PDA

View Full Version : Chris Welsh - "JEEZ!!"

TheBigLebowski
06-17-2008, 10:22 PM
He was very critical of Dusty leaving Patterson in to face Beimel, as are we all...when Corey predictably grounded out to 2nd, we could all hear a very audible "JEEZ!" from Welsh as they headed into commercial.

I think Dusty is finally wearing thin on our announcers. I love you, Dusty!

tomred
06-17-2008, 10:25 PM
was there any doubt Patterson was going to play pepper with the second basemen

captainmorgan07
06-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Welsh ripping Dusty just mad my night. I was angered hearing how the Mets fired Randolph but if the Reds wanted to fire Dusty at 3 AM i'd throw a party. Why in the world do you send patterson to the plate in that situation. Andy Phillips can play the outfield send him to pinch hit. His man love for Patterson has gone way to far.

forfreelin04
06-17-2008, 10:27 PM
The question is not whether or not Dusty is finally wearing thin on our announcers, it's whether or not it is humanly possible to draw criticism from George Grande.

If Grande starts questioning Dusty's moves, then Dusty has reached a peak no one has ever met in manager stupidity.

Does anyone have Hank Aaron's cell #, maybe he can talk some sense into Dusty?

dsmith421
06-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Corey Patterson makes Juan Castro look like Rod Carew.

I honestly have never seen a player with a more braindead approach at the plate. And we have a manager who worships the ground he walks on.

jmac
06-17-2008, 10:52 PM
He was very critical of Dusty leaving Patterson in to face Beimel, as are we all...when Corey predictably grounded out to 2nd, we could all hear a very audible "JEEZ!" from Welsh as they headed into commercial.

I think Dusty is finally wearing thin on our announcers. I love you, Dusty!
FWIW, Tom/Jb doing the same in a "major" way on radio.
Mentioing guys they saw play OF in ST like Cabrera,Phillips(Andy) etc.
Saying "that" was ballgame.

bleedsred
06-17-2008, 11:10 PM
When CP started off on a hot start it was the worst thing that could have happened for the Reds...and look who is up there with 2 outs in the 9th.....

bleedsred
06-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Let's not fool ourselves though, Patterson is not the only guy in the lineup not hitting....good start for Cueto though....I hope he can build on it next time out.

JayBruce4HOF
06-17-2008, 11:16 PM
George Grande made me laugh tonight... "It has been a season of ups and down for Corey Patterson this season."

Seriously, George, you're not that dense. And you ARE allowed to criticize players once every blue moon. The fans aren't morons, don't treat us that way.

dsmith421
06-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Let's not fool ourselves though, Patterson is not the only guy in the lineup not hitting.

No, but he's by far the worst of the group. And gets the most at-bats, thanks to Dusty's obsession with hitting him leadoff.

Replace the yawning maw of outs at the top of the lineup with a league-average bat and our offense looks quite a bit better.

Jr's Boy
06-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah I heard him say it.I thought he was going to say Jesus but stifled his self.George was critical of the Mets organization and said they were bush league for the way they did Randolph.I thought the sky was going to fall in.:D

AccordinglyReds
06-18-2008, 01:58 AM
I was at the game, just waiting for someone to PH against Beimel...Patterson now batting nearly 0 for the century against LHP. Janish? Phillips?

Could have PH Janish there, put him at SS, Bruce in CF, and Cabrera in RF.

ChatterRed
06-18-2008, 02:06 AM
Thom Brenneman almost came through the radio into the front seat of my car when Dusty sent Corey up to bat.

Everyone and their mother and their pet cat and the dust bunnies under their couch realizes that Corey should never bat again for the Reds, except Dusty and the Reds management.

JayBruce4HOF
06-18-2008, 02:12 AM
Thom Brenneman almost came through the radio into the front seat of my car when Dusty sent Corey up to bat.

Everyone and their mother and their pet cat and the dust bunnies under their couch realizes that Corey should never bat again for the Reds, except Dusty and the Reds management.

It really is amazing isn't it.

It's so stupid, you can hardly believe that it is actually happening, and, what's more, the guy is getting paid $11 million dollars to manage like a complete moron. :eek:

aerontg
06-18-2008, 03:33 AM
Could this all be some sort of grand plan to TANK THE REDS? I mean, damn, just trade the veterans away NOW and bring up every young player in the minors. The results couldn't be any worse :p: It is BEYOND criminal what Dusty has been able to get away with in lineup construction. My WIFE, of all people, could do a better lineup than this. Is the guy retarded or something?

LouisvilleCARDS
06-18-2008, 03:42 AM
To be fair, Corey is batting a gutty .190, the guy is a warrior.

Trace's Daddy
06-18-2008, 08:03 AM
From mlb.com:

....Instead of going with Griffey to pinch-hit or a right-handed hitter, Baker kept the left-handed Patterson in to face the lefty Beimel. Patterson grounded out to second base and drew boos from the 26,906 fans in attendance.

"Everybody's wondering why I didn't pinch-hit for Corey," Baker said. "Corey, in his career, has been better against left-handers than right-handers. I was limited in the outfield and didn't have Junior today."

The only outfield options would have been starting shortstop Jolbert Cabrera and Andy Phillips. Neither had played much in the outfield and Phillips hadn't at all since Spring Training.

"I didn't want to put a guy out there that hasn't played out there," Baker said. "It's not fair to them, either. That ball will find you."

Patterson, who singled in his first at-bat in the first inning but got caught stealing, represented the tying run at the plate when he grounded out to first base to end the game.

"I've been in that situation before," Patterson said of his season-long struggles. "Can I play better? Yes, no doubt. But I'm not going to feel sorry for myself and make excuses."

BurgervilleBuck
06-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Patterson, who singled in his first at-bat in the first inning but got caught stealing, represented the tying run at the plate when he grounded out to first base to end the game.
It was at that point in the game, when Patterson stepped up to the plate, that I shook the hands of some cool Dodger fans behind me and said, "Have a nice flight out to LA. This game is over."

And dern, if Patterson didn't prove me right.

durl
06-18-2008, 10:10 AM
George Grande made me laugh tonight... "It has been a season of ups and down for Corey Patterson this season."

Seriously, George, you're not that dense. And you ARE allowed to criticize players once every blue moon. The fans aren't morons, don't treat us that way.

To George's credit, he followed up that line with "...mostly down." He spoke the truth. Gotta give him that.

durl
06-18-2008, 10:21 AM
From mlb.com:

....Instead of going with Griffey to pinch-hit or a right-handed hitter, Baker kept the left-handed Patterson in to face the lefty Beimel. Patterson grounded out to second base and drew boos from the 26,906 fans in attendance.

"Everybody's wondering why I didn't pinch-hit for Corey," Baker said. "Corey, in his career, has been better against left-handers than right-handers. I was limited in the outfield and didn't have Junior today."

The only outfield options would have been starting shortstop Jolbert Cabrera and Andy Phillips. Neither had played much in the outfield and Phillips hadn't at all since Spring Training.

"I didn't want to put a guy out there that hasn't played out there," Baker said. "It's not fair to them, either. That ball will find you."

"I've been in that situation before," Patterson said of his season-long struggles. "Can I play better? Yes, no doubt. But I'm not going to feel sorry for myself and make excuses."

I noticed during Patterson's at-bat, there was a shot of Dusty in the dugout. It may have been my imagination (most likely), but it seemed as though Dusty had a look on his face like "Come on, prove me right, prove me right..." but I didn't expect Patterson to do anything other than what he did.

So with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, Dusty lets one of his poorest hitting players take the at-bat because he's concerned about the defensive situation later? I understand planning for the possible, but you've got to give yourself at least SOME chance of extending the game. Sure, Dusty had the defense covered for the top of the 10th. Too bad the 10th never came.

This is another reason why I don't agree completely with the L/R batting order. They say you need to mix up Lefties and Righties because it forces the other team to pitch differently at the end of the game. But if a player gets 4 at-bats a game, why all the emphasis on 1 of his at-bats and ignoring the other 3? Just put your best players on the field and have them bat where they'll be most effective rather than having the other team dictate your lineup. Am I being naive here?

Big Hurt
06-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I think that Dusty was simply hoping that Patterson would get a mistake pitch and hit it out. I think Dusty was playing "get a bloop and a blast" as Thom was suggesting last night. I think it points toward Dusty's lack of confidence in his pinch hitters more than anything else. I can see that to be a concern of his to be perfectly honest. IMO that's why Javier is still here - no one to pinch hit, especially with all the injuries. I do like Chris Welsh and thought it unpopular but true when he mentioned (the other day) that he would support Fogg coming back into the rotation to replace Homer. He believes that Fogg will even out to his past stats and can get 10-12 wins in the 5th slot given 30 starts. He feels he wasn't given enough of a chance after a bad outing or two. I agree with Chris.

BLEEDS
06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Baker said. ".. I was limited in the outfield and didn't have Junior today."

So, instead of worrying about what might happen if you actually extended the game, you'd just GIVE UP instead, and lose the game?

BRILLIANT!!

Who says DUHsty isn't a strategic genius!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Jharb74
06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
How bad is it when Welsh starts complaining? We expect Marty and Thom, and Brantley to. Now once George Blande starts complaining, you'll know it's really bad.
As if it could get worse.