PDA

View Full Version : How did you and your significant other meet?

Caveat Emperor
06-17-2008, 11:14 PM
For anyone dating or married, simple question: how did you meet your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend?

We (some people I work with and I) got into a discussion about this at work on Monday, and I was met with a bit of shock when I said that the majority of my attached friends met their counterparts while out drinking at various local watering holes.

I'm kinda curious if I have an odd group of friends.

Spring~Fields
06-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Maybe I should take the fifth
High school, beach, starting a business in that order.

Life had long rejected me and they took me in :(

KronoRed
06-17-2008, 11:41 PM
An old BBS playing trivia, we bonded over figuring out some guy was using a cheat program to always win.

9 years married now :)

RedlegJake
06-17-2008, 11:52 PM
I met my first wife at a coffee shop. I worked third shift, she worked days and we both frequented the shop for breakfast. An older gal was waitress and friend of Dixie and introduced us - so we met at breakfast to chat. No dating or anything. After awhile I had a bad weekend when my girlfriend stood me up - twice - because she didn;t have the gumption to just break up, I think. Anyway Monday morning I mentioned it and Dix said you need a good woman for a change. I said Who - you volunteering? She says - "You asking" and I replied Hell yeah.

Not exactly the most romantic beginning but it lasted for 6 kids and 28 years until she died of a heart attack in 2004. The last loss in our family in an 18 month stretch that saw us lose Mom, Dad, Dixie, a grandson, and 2 son-in-laws. Somehow I made it through (although my recent heart attack and open heart surgery probably was a result).

Then I met my current wife, in 2006 as winter started. My daughter Cressia moved in with me with my grand daughter Izzie. Her husband Johnny Fennel drowned in Pony Express Lake in a storm 2 months before Dixie died so we were both reeling from double shocks and she had no insurance so was in a bad way financially. She had a friend at work who visited her a few times and we would all meet and talk in a kind of grief therapy - not formal just friends but it just grew from there. She had lost her husband in an auto accident and had a 2 year old Sadie. I asked her to dinner and 6 months later we married. So my household includes a daughter 28 who now thinks she's my mother, a wife 32 who's her best friend (and mine) and co-conspirator in anything that involves trying to make me take better care of myself (which drives me nuts - you think one woman nagging at you to watch cholesterol or eat better, or exercise more, or whatever misery their love for you can conjure then try two of them each tormenting you for your own good), and the loves of my life now - my beautiful little daughter Sadie and grandbaby Izzie. So I'm the dirty old man with the much younger wife. And loving every minute of it.

durl
06-18-2008, 12:05 AM
At work.

TeamSelig
06-18-2008, 12:14 AM
High school... related to my best friend.. ended up friends for years, then lost contact for a while, then when we met up again it was more than friends :D

goreds2
06-18-2008, 01:01 AM
We met the old fashioned way........IN A BAR.

Scrap Irony
06-18-2008, 02:02 AM
My wife and I met at work.

We both teach high school English. (Our children have no chance at being anything other than dorks, geeks, and nerds. Sigh.)

After practice, I would go to her room and talk about my day. She'd listen and talk about hers. I'd listen. Pretty soon, we started going out. Next thing I know, we're married, pregnant, and picking out girl's names.

Grin.

Who said an English degree wouldn't help you out later in life?

Redsfaithful
06-18-2008, 03:44 AM
Summer camp. She was the nature lady, I was assistant program director.

redsmetz
06-18-2008, 05:08 AM
Funny this topic should come up. I realized in May that it would be 30 years since my wife and I met. She had come out to Cincy with her family for her nephew's 2nd birthday. Her sister and brother-in-law belonged to the same church I did, and they came to mass that Sunday. I sat in the pew in front of them, wearing a t-shirt and overalls, and she thought who would come to church so grungy. When her nephew saw me and excitedly said "It's Joe with the beard!". She figured maybe she'd misjudged me since her nephew liked me ("Great with kids").

When she moved to Cincinnati after grad school two years later, she moved to town to live with her sister and brother-in-law and we started dating that fall. We've been married now almost 27 years.

I shot her nephew and his mom an email when we realized the 30 years was coming and thanked him for standing up for me. My sister-in-law wrote back and said the rest of the story was that I thought she was cute, she turned up with her two year old and I realized she was married and asked if she had a sister. My wife thanked him on both accounts (and the "do you have a sister" part was not true!).

Ltlabner
06-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Prison.

nate
06-18-2008, 07:32 AM
My wife and I met when she called me to play keyboards in her band. On our first "date", I made dinner (Osso Bucco, Risotto and wine-braised pears...take notes, single dudes!) and took her to an equestrian ballet set to the music of Stravinsky and his peers. Think Cirque de Solei on horses...it was artier than it sounds...if that's possible.

The only thing that might've gone wrong was when I was giving her the tour of my house. I was getting ready to replace the "commode" in my bathroom and the replacement "unit" was pretty much smack dab in the middle of the room. It did give her pause and wonder what would drive someone to have the furniture arranged thusly...however, I was able to quickly reassure her that nothing fishy was going on.

To recap:

1. Make good dinner
2. Remove toilet from middle of any room that doesn't usually have one

SandyD
06-18-2008, 07:36 AM
For anyone dating or married, simple question: how did you meet your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend?

We (some people I work with and I) got into a discussion about this at work on Monday, and I was met with a bit of shock when I said that the majority of my attached friends met their counterparts while out drinking at various local watering holes.

I think "age/stage of life" at meeting has a lot to do with that.

RedsFan75
06-18-2008, 09:13 AM
I met my wife while I was serving as the First-Aid Medic of the College inter mural department. She was injured in a softball game, separated shoulder, and my roommate was on duty that night. A couple days later both of us were on duty and she came up to him to thank him for putting it back in place, and getting her to the hospital. I was nursing a dislocated finger from my attempt at flag football. We talking and chatted about various stuff until the games were over and we were off duty, I offered her a ride back to her dorm. We met a couple other times, and just talked. Or first real date I took her to dinner in front of the fireplace at a Cracker Barrel! :)

27 yrs later we still have fun going to Cracker Barrel.

Dom Heffner
06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
I met my first wife at a coffee shop. I worked third shift, she worked days and we both frequented the shop for breakfast. An older gal was waitress and friend of Dixie and introduced us - so we met at breakfast to chat. No dating or anything. After awhile I had a bad weekend when my girlfriend stood me up - twice - because she didn;t have the gumption to just break up, I think. Anyway Monday morning I mentioned it and Dix said you need a good woman for a change. I said Who - you volunteering? She says - "You asking" and I replied Hell yeah.

Not exactly the most romantic beginning but it lasted for 6 kids and 28 years until she died of a heart attack in 2004. The last loss in our family in an 18 month stretch that saw us lose Mom, Dad, Dixie, a grandson, and 2 son-in-laws. Somehow I made it through (although my recent heart attack and open heart surgery probably was a result).

Then I met my current wife, in 2006 as winter started. My daughter Cressia moved in with me with my grand daughter Izzie. Her husband Johnny Fennel drowned in Pony Express Lake in a storm 2 months before Dixie died so we were both reeling from double shocks and she had no insurance so was in a bad way financially. She had a friend at work who visited her a few times and we would all meet and talk in a kind of grief therapy - not formal just friends but it just grew from there. She had lost her husband in an auto accident and had a 2 year old Sadie. I asked her to dinner and 6 months later we married. So my household includes a daughter 28 who now thinks she's my mother, a wife 32 who's her best friend (and mine) and co-conspirator in anything that involves trying to make me take better care of myself (which drives me nuts - you think one woman nagging at you to watch cholesterol or eat better, or exercise more, or whatever misery their love for you can conjure then try two of them each tormenting you for your own good), and the loves of my life now - my beautiful little daughter Sadie and grandbaby Izzie. So I'm the dirty old man with the much younger wife. And loving every minute of it.

Reading that felt like watching an episode of Dallas.

Wow, you have been through a lot, my friend. I'm glad you found happiness.

RedsManRick
06-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Met at work. Didn't start dating until a few months after she quit.

westofyou
06-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Alpine Valley - 22 years ago in 1 week

Though we both grew up on the eastside and went to the same HS we met in Wisconsin.

George Anderson
06-18-2008, 11:37 AM
We met the old fashioned way........IN A BAR.

Ten years ago this August I met my wife at a local watering hole the night before my 30th birthday. It was like twenty minutes till midnight, I saw her and thought maybe I can have one last fling before i hit the big 3-0. That fling has lasted so far almost ten years!!

NYMoose
06-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Like many others, at work.

Chip R
06-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Prison.

Turn to the left!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:jBFVGkRR5Dd4bM:http://bp1.blogger.com/_Gdt6SgFdNNw/Rf_qP35BpRI/AAAAAAAAAU0/f43Pqz111bk/s400/raisinghunter.jpg

Highlifeman21
06-18-2008, 04:50 PM
My roommate introduced us when I was visiting him before I moved up here.

Set us up on a semi-blind date.

vaticanplum
06-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Out of curiosity, CE, why does it surprise you that a lot of couples you know met in bars? Most people I know go to bars sometimes, especially when they're at an age when they start coupling off; it stands to reason that some of those people might run into others they'll get along with there.

Raisor
06-18-2008, 08:23 PM
the Metro Bible Study here in Atlanta.

I can think of at least 10 couples that met there and are now married.

freestyle55
06-18-2008, 08:27 PM
I met my wife at the Hard Rock Cafe in Mexico City. I was working on a project there for a few months at that point, and our group liked to go to the HRC on Thursday's to see a great cover band. One night, we decided to invite some of the local folks we were working with to join us (and bring any significant others or friends with them). The engineer I was working with brought my future wife with her and sat down at the other end of the table.

Another older married guy on our team later decided to head back to the hotel, and he was sitting across from my future wife. I decided that she was kind of cute and thought I'd go talk to her. She wasn't very comfortable with her English, and I wasn't very comfortable with my Spanish, but we made a little bit of small talk. We exchanged email addresses at the end of the night. I went back to the states for a few weeks and decided to email her while I was there. Surprisingly, she wrote back (actually, because she was nervous with her English, a friend wrote back what she told her to write :) ) and we emailed a few times. I came back to Mexico and we decided to meet up. We hit it off, and 5 months later we were engaged. We've been married almost 2 years now!

The thing that makes it even crazier is that the engineer I was working with and my future wife had gone to school together about 10 years before and hadn't seen each other since. Then, a week before this all got set in place, they randomly ran into each other on the street, and then the engineer randomly called her to invite her out that night. If not for that chance encounter, I may never have met my wife!

Oh, and it was from another thread, but when I proposed to my wife, it was the night after Valentine's Day (I was in the US on the 14th, flew in on the 15th), and I proposed to her on the steps of the famous Angel monument on one of the largest streets in the city. She cried and said yes :)

SunDeck
06-18-2008, 08:45 PM

I grew up on the West Side where there are three choices for meeting your future bride; at a church festival, Harvest Home Fair or a bar. Of the bars, the choices would have been many, of course.

TeamSelig
06-18-2008, 08:58 PM
I met my wife at the Hard Rock Cafe in Mexico City. I was working on a project there for a few months at that point, and our group liked to go to the HRC on Thursday's to see a great cover band. One night, we decided to invite some of the local folks we were working with to join us (and bring any significant others or friends with them). The engineer I was working with brought my future wife with her and sat down at the other end of the table.

Another older married guy on our team later decided to head back to the hotel, and he was sitting across from my future wife. I decided that she was kind of cute and thought I'd go talk to her. She wasn't very comfortable with her English, and I wasn't very comfortable with my Spanish, but we made a little bit of small talk. We exchanged email addresses at the end of the night. I went back to the states for a few weeks and decided to email her while I was there. Surprisingly, she wrote back (actually, because she was nervous with her English, a friend wrote back what she told her to write :) ) and we emailed a few times. I came back to Mexico and we decided to meet up. We hit it off, and 5 months later we were engaged. We've been married almost 2 years now!

The thing that makes it even crazier is that the engineer I was working with and my future wife had gone to school together about 10 years before and hadn't seen each other since. Then, a week before this all got set in place, they randomly ran into each other on the street, and then the engineer randomly called her to invite her out that night. If not for that chance encounter, I may never have met my wife!

Oh, and it was from another thread, but when I proposed to my wife, it was the night after Valentine's Day (I was in the US on the 14th, flew in on the 15th), and I proposed to her on the steps of the famous Angel monument on one of the largest streets in the city. She cried and said yes :)

Spanish chicks are hot. Just sayin.

15fan
06-18-2008, 10:36 PM
In college, senior year.

We both worked at the student rec center. Checking IDs, checking out lockers, cleaning a week's worth of sweat and stench off of treadmills on Sunday nights.

Started dating 6 weeks before we graduated. Just celebrated 11 years of marriage.

Our school was small. If you didn't know someone, you knew someone who did. My best friend (same birthday, went to school together from 5th grade through college, best men in each other's wedding, and on and on) met my wife first semester of our freshmen year. He dated a few girls from her sorority, had classes with her, etc. Never thought to introduce the two of us to each other.

To this day, we both give him crap about us being together no thanks to his sorry rear end. His response is always "yeh, I still have a hard time figuring out how you two ended up together."

What a wingman.

Caveat Emperor
06-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Out of curiosity, CE, why does it surprise you that a lot of couples you know met in bars? Most people I know go to bars sometimes, especially when they're at an age when they start coupling off; it stands to reason that some of those people might run into others they'll get along with there.

It doesn't surprise me at all -- I was more surprised that other people were surprised, if that makes any sense.

guttle11
06-18-2008, 10:44 PM
In the future. It was love at first sight, from what I told myself.

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2008, 11:26 PM
I had a girlfriend at the time that I was ready to break up with but had yet to muster up the courage to do so.

I had two roommates who were both dating girls from the same sorority from a college in Jacksonville (My roomies and I lived in Gainesville and attended UF).

One fair evening, my wife-to-be got adventurous and decided to accompany the other two girls on a trip to Gainesville to visit their boyfriends. She had no idea who I was nor any clue they'd have a 3rd roomie.

As fate would have it, my erstwhile GF was also from Jax and was not with me at the time. Therefore, my roomies and their girlfriends went off with each other and left me with the woman who would be my wife 4 short years later. "Entertain her," they said. They had no idea it would be her who entertained me, and it remains that way to this day.

We simply laid down on the bed and just talked. Talked about music. Sports. Politics. How late it was. How strange it was that we'd end up with each other on a night like this. I explained to her the meaning of "kismet." It's now engraved on my wedding band.

durl
06-18-2008, 11:58 PM
the Metro Bible Study here in Atlanta.

I can think of at least 10 couples that met there and are now married.

Dude! I can see that group growing simply from singles hoping to find a good mate.

MrsHammer
06-19-2008, 02:03 PM
At work. Making googly eyes at each other across the board room table. ;)

IslandRed
06-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Future Wife lived in another city. A mutual friend set us up.

Friend and I would hang out on a fairly regular basis, we weren't each other's type but we enjoyed the company. She had surgery and I sent her a get-well card and flowers. A week or two later I went over to visit and she was showing me the big set of flowers she got from Future Wife and how thoughtful we both were.

Several months after that, we were having lunch and Friend was listening to me complain about my sock lines -- I had been playing a lot of golf and was developing tan lines around my ankles. "Oh, (Future Wife) was just telling me about her sock lines," Friend declared. Which gave her the bright idea that we should meet, because Future Wife was coming in to visit for a weekend soon.

So she arranged an outing for the three of us to play mini-golf, and since that went well we went to dinner, and since that went well we met the next day for lunch. A few weeks later I went over to Future Wife's city to see a concert (for a band I didn't even like), and over the following 1.5 years I probably made that three-hours-each-way trip to her city 50 times until I had the good sense to just move.

:beerme:

justincredible
06-19-2008, 04:13 PM
I was absolutely hammered at a fraternity party about 7 years ago. She wasn't as drunk as I was and apparently found me charming. :)

We are getting married next June.

redsfan1966
06-19-2008, 06:44 PM
arranged marriage........just kidding, I work for a non-profit and she was/is a long-time volunteer....long story short, co-workers fixed us up and 8 years later and 5 (in Sept) in marriage we're still in love....(though, two of those co-workers are now dead and one was fired, hmmmmm)

freestyle55
06-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Spanish chicks are hot. Just sayin.

Yes they are :)

cincyinco
06-21-2008, 08:34 AM
In my experience Spanish chicks can also be a bit loco. But, that's just my own personal experiences, and really has nothing to do with their hotness. :)

OldRightHander
06-21-2008, 08:53 AM
This chick's really hot.
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/img/recipe_images/MP5011.JPG

cincyinco
06-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Lol, its making my mouth water and jaw slack.

That's one beautiful bird!