PDA

View Full Version : Homer and Daryl

Grande Donkey
06-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Email from buddy in Chattanooga...

Rumors starting to fly about Homers future and on the 5th starter for the Yankees series. Homer to AA, Daryl to start vs Yanks...Should know more tomorrow.

Nothing set in stone but that sure would be interesting.

RedsManRick
06-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Interesting. Daryl Thompson has passed Homer Bailey on the depth chart. Let's go back 18 months and see what the odds would've been on that.

Grande Donkey
06-18-2008, 07:07 PM
http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3af180fcb9-975a-417b-8902-087296042636&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com (http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3af180fcb9-975a-417b-8902-087296042636&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com)

Or not. Didn't take long for that rumor to be shot down.

JaxRed
06-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Didn't really shoot down the Thompson part of the rumor, which is the interesting part of the rumor

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't know....do we really want Daryl's first start to be @Yankee Stadium facing that Yanks lineup?

Buckeye33
06-18-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't know....do we really want Daryl's first start to be @Yankee Stadium facing that Yanks lineup?

I'll be there for the game on Saturday and would much rather watch Thompson pitch then Josh Fogg. I know that for sure.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Why did the "brain trust" have to see Homer fail at the major league level to know he wasn't ready?

Most of us on this board knew he wasn't ready.

Silliness.

AmarilloRed
06-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Fay suggested earlier Thompson is Saturday's starter:

By the way, I think Daryl Thompson makes the start Saturday. It's still listed as Homer Bailey. But Dusty Baker said: "We're still talking about it." Thompson is the logical choice. Baker really liked him in spring training. He's pitched well in the minors. And he's on the 40-man.

captainmorgan07
06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Why run the kid out there against that Yankees Lineup. Not a smart idea. Let Fogg go get his brains beat in he's used to being a 5th starter. Let the kid have a few more starts in AAA before we bring him up.

Caveat Emperor
06-18-2008, 11:44 PM

At least if he bombs as a major leaguer, he'll get to tell his grandkids that he pitched in Yankee Stadium.

That has to be worth something.

OnBaseMachine
06-19-2008, 02:58 PM
THE REDS have yet to make it official, but punch it into your Blackberry or iPod — 22-year-old rookie Daryl Thompson will pitch Saturday in Yankee Stadium against the New York Yankees.

Thompson is 3-0 with a 3.25 earned run average in four starts at Louisville (AAA) after starting the season at Class AA Chattanooga and going 3-2 with a 1.76 ERA in 10 starts.

Thompson is an interesting story and was, basically, a throw-in to the deal that sent Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez and Ryan Wager to the Washington Nationals.

In return, the Reds received Royce Clayton, Bill Bray, Gary Majewski, Brendan Harris and Thompson.

What ensued was a dispute between Nationals general manager Jim Bowden and former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky over whether Majewski was damaged goods.

Amazingly, Washington insiders said Thompson was included in the deal because he had major shoulder surgery in 2005 (torn labrum) and Bowden didn’t think he would last. As one Bowden acquaintance said, “Bowden thought he was sticking it to the Reds with Thompson.”

As a matter of fact, Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek performed the surgery while Thompson was in Washington’s minor-league system and he was still rehabbing the surgery when the trade was made.

It isn’t likely Thompson will be intimidated by the Yankees, Yankee Stadium or the ghosts of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle.

Thompson had a dose of Yankee-sim this spring when he pitched an inning against the Yankees in packed Legends Field in Tampa, Fla. and struck out the side.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

M2
06-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Striking out the side in a ST game is a lot different than walking into Yankee Stadium for your first major league start and facing a white hot Yankees lineup.

lollipopcurve
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Striking out the side in a ST game is a lot different than walking into Yankee Stadium for your first major league start and facing a white hot Yankees lineup.

6 lefties and ARod. Good luck, kid.

What's that they say about putting players in situations in which they can succeed?

M2
06-19-2008, 04:15 PM
6 lefties and ARod. Good luck, kid.

What's that they say about putting players in situations in which they can succeed?

Yeah, times like this are when you really wish you had an older soft-tossing lefty in AAA to throw into that fire. Oh wait, the Reds do.

lollipopcurve
06-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah, times like this are when you really wish you had an older soft-tossing lefty in AAA to throw into that fire. Oh wait, the Reds do.

And they're about to get beat by another today.

Will M
06-19-2008, 05:02 PM
I think Walt wanted to see how Homer pitched in the bigs. he sucked and now he isn't in any plans for this year or next. Walt wants to see how Thompson fares now. Walt is evaluating talent heading into the trade dealine and offseason.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-19-2008, 05:48 PM
I read an article on Thompson, and he sounds like a great guy. He seems really dedicated to pitching and I think its definitely worth it to throw him out there.

M2
06-19-2008, 06:48 PM
I think Walt wanted to see how Homer pitched in the bigs. he sucked and now he isn't in any plans for this year or next. Walt wants to see how Thompson fares now. Walt is evaluating talent heading into the trade dealine and offseason.

Seeing how a pitcher fares strikes me as just about the worst possible reason to give a guy a callup, though you might be 100% that this is Jocketty's thinking.

fearofpopvol1
06-19-2008, 07:15 PM
At least Thompson has better control than Bailey and is making his debut at an older age. With that said, I still think he is being rushed and it's a bad idea. I'd run out Maloney.

dougdirt
06-19-2008, 07:20 PM
I would run out Fogg, maybe even Affeldt. We suck and aren't playing for anything but pride. No reason to send Thompson or Maloney out there before they are ready.

M2
06-19-2008, 07:40 PM
I would run out Fogg, maybe even Affeldt. We suck and aren't playing for anything but pride. No reason to send Thompson or Maloney out there before they are ready.

I couldn't agree more. Adam Pettyjohn was made for games like this.

TRF
06-19-2008, 07:43 PM
I agree with doug. I would go with affeldt.

fearofpopvol1
06-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Let's hope that Thompson has Kershaw like results for his debut.

HokieRed
06-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Agree with Doug and others. Adam Pettyjohn would get the start if I were Walt. I wish we had Tom Shearn back. He ought to have had more of a shot.

RedlegJake
06-21-2008, 05:13 PM
As of 3 pm CST I think we should let Thompson have the start

TDHND
06-21-2008, 11:43 PM
he looked good today!