PDA

View Full Version : Until this team improves it's hitting with RISP we will never be any good.

captainmorgan07
06-18-2008, 10:00 PM
3 for 42 this homestand with runners in scoring position is absolutely terrible. When men get in scoring position the reds shift into softball mood. Example tonite with Dunn all he has to do is shorten up his swing get a ground ball to the left side and a run scores. Instead he k's and edwin grounds out. Until we improve in this area the Losses will continue to mount.

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Problem is, this "team," as currently assembled, will never be good at it because its made up of too many guys with the same weaknesses. BA w/RISP will never improve until the Reds are re-assembled. This is just a poorly designed, bad baseball team.

RedR8R
06-18-2008, 10:18 PM
I know it's a "team" problem, but Dunn has got to go. The guy can't make simple contact when we need him to. I don't give a crap about his walks and home runs, he is a big time rally killer.

captainmorgan07
06-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Now 3 for 44 this is painful to watch. Until this team has major changes it won't get any better.

Blue
06-18-2008, 10:26 PM
I know it's a "team" problem, but Dunn has got to go. The guy can't make simple contact when we need him to. I don't give a crap about his walks and home runs, he is a big time rally killer.

What about his team leading RBIs? Oops. No answer for that. The guy produces. If you're looking for failure from an offensive player, you'll find it. That's baseball.

Blue
06-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Uhh... why would you want to try to play for one run in that situation?

captainmorgan07
06-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Im a big Dunn fan as anybody else but it's time for a change around here. To many losing seasons. The 3 run bomb philosphy we've had for 7 years just isn't cutting it anymore. More contact less strikeouts not just from Dunn but the whole team.

Blue
06-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Also, I could be completely wrong, but isn't 44 RISP opportunities over an 8 game stretch incredibly low? That might be the real problem. I'll call it 6 opps with RISP per game, but then factor in the number of times two outs were made after a guy was on second base. How many baserunners have we had this homestand?

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Im a big Dunn fan as anybody else but it's time for a change around here. To many losing seasons. The 3 run bomb philosphy we've had for 7 years just isn't cutting it anymore. More contact less strikeouts not just from Dunn but the whole team.

Careful..some of the stat guys will try to tell you how innocuous strikeouts are.

Blue
06-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Careful..some of the stat guys will try to tell you how innocuous strikeouts are.

Yeah, and they'll probably have some of their "stats" to back it up. Whatever that is.

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah, and they'll probably have some of their "stats" to back it up. Whatever that is.

Problem is, it's not really a stats argument. It's a philisophical one.

Blue
06-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Problem is, it's not really a stats argument. It's a philisophical one.

I don't know, Dude. The Reds have the 7th most strikeouts in the league. The Cubs are 6th, the Phillies are 8th. Those teams have scored 78 and 74 more runs than the Reds this season, respectively. I don't think it matters. What those teams do quite well is get on base and slug. The Reds don't do either particularly well.

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2008, 11:06 PM
I don't know, Dude. The Reds have the 7th most strikeouts in the league. The Cubs are 6th, the Phillies are 8th. Those teams have scored 78 and 74 more runs than the Reds this season, respectively. I don't think it matters. What those teams do quite well is get on base and slug. The Reds don't do either particularly well.

You'll get no argument from me there. The Reds do not abide at all with regards to either of those stats.

improbus
06-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I understand the theory behind the power of OBP. You're not making an out, that's great. But someone eventually has to hit the ball for the team to score. The Reds take the 7th most walks in MLB, but are 27th in hits, which puts them at 20th in RBI's and Runs Scored. That's a problem.

Blue
06-18-2008, 11:33 PM
I understand the theory behind the power of OBP. You're not making an out, that's great. But someone eventually has to hit the ball for the team to score. The Reds take the 7th most walks in MLB, but are 27th in hits, which puts them at 20th in RBI's and Runs Scored. That's a problem.

Absolutely. More hits, higher SLG, more runs.