PDA

View Full Version : The Real Jay Bruce?

Nuxhall41
06-19-2008, 03:30 PM
In his first few weeks, he looked like one of the best natural hitters I had ever seen. I only saw him swing at a couple of bad pitches over a several week period. I'm not sure he put together one bad at bat during that entire period. Since then, I've only seen him put together a handful of good at bats. Now, he looks like the crazy hacking love child of Edwin Encarnacion and Brandon Phillips. What in God's name happened? This isn't simply a matter of getting hot and going cold. He looks like a completely different hitter.

HeatherC1212
06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Jay is a rookie player still trying to figure out the big leagues. He's going to struggle and have times where he looks overmatched and he's going to have times where he goes 3-4 or 3-5. It happens to all players when they're young. He'll adjust over time and be just fine. I'm not too worried about Jay Bruce.

BTW-He also seems a little frustrated to me considering he just got ejected from the game by the home plate umpire. Wow! :eek:

Griffey012
06-19-2008, 03:57 PM
wow, for maybe the first time all season a player showed some frustration and some fire, and its a rookie who has barely been in the bigs.

I would love to see Harang going ona rampage with a bat and a gatorade cooler. I would love to see a bench clearing brawl. I would love to see any player on the team look like they give a %#$! about winning at all.

And I would like to see a manager that would try to light a fire under his struggling underachieving team instead of chewin on his toothpick. That may be the thing that drives me the most nuts about Dusty.

demas863
06-19-2008, 04:34 PM
wow, for maybe the first time all season a player showed some frustration and some fire, and its a rookie who has barely been in the bigs.

I would love to see Harang going ona rampage with a bat and a gatorade cooler. I would love to see a bench clearing brawl. I would love to see any player on the team look like they give a %#$! about winning at all.

And I would like to see a manager that would try to light a fire under his struggling underachieving team instead of chewin on his toothpick. That may be the thing that drives me the most nuts about Dusty.

Without question the best post of the year!

Ghosts of 1990
06-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Please. He's young and going through his first slump. Do you follow baseball Nuxhall41? It happens. My goodness.

Nuxhall41
06-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Please. He's young and going through his first slump. Do you follow baseball Nuxhall41? It happens. My goodness.

#1 Can you read? #2 I suspect I've watched baseball around 30 years longer than you have. It's not about slumping. As I said, it's not about getting hot or cold. Sometimes Keppinger hits and sometimes he doesn't, but he goes to the plate with a consistent approach. Bruce is now going to the plate with a completely different approach than he did initially. He looks like a different player. He looks like Edwin Encarnacion. He's hacking at everything he sees and swinging at bad pitches consistently. From what I'm seeing now, he's looking more and more like a typical Reds player, not the intelligent-hitting breath of fresh air this team desperately needed.

_Sir_Charles_
06-19-2008, 06:04 PM
I agree with Nuxhall41. However, I think that Jay's problem is due to his fast start. I'm pretty sure that now he's trying to maintain that impossible pace and he's pressing. He's being OVERLY aggressive and reaching for bad balls. He'll settle down and find that middle ground. Just remember, those k's are not a total abberation. That was his one big flaw in the minors. He k'd quite a bunch. His extreme patience at the plate in his first 2 weeks were more of the abberation I think.

Griffey012
06-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Without question the best post of the year!

Good I am glad someone is with me on this one.

Cicero
06-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I knew it wouldn't be long before we coached the fundamentals out of him. :)

Stephenk29
06-19-2008, 09:19 PM
I agree with Nuxhall41. However, I think that Jay's problem is due to his fast start. I'm pretty sure that now he's trying to maintain that impossible pace and he's pressing. He's being OVERLY aggressive and reaching for bad balls. He'll settle down and find that middle ground. Just remember, those k's are not a total abberation. That was his one big flaw in the minors. He k'd quite a bunch. His extreme patience at the plate in his first 2 weeks were more of the abberation I think.

Everything I've heard is would think this to be true. He struck out a fair amount in the minors. Plus he's also in the middle of a slump. It won't be his last of the year. He'll take some lumps just like everyone else who ever came up has.

improbus
06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Pitchers are smart too. They started to put together a book on Bruce.

Also, I wonder if he hit those first few HR's and thought he should try and hit some more....

aerontg
06-20-2008, 01:04 AM
#1 Can you read? #2 I suspect I've watched baseball around 30 years longer than you have. It's not about slumping. As I said, it's not about getting hot or cold. Sometimes Keppinger hits and sometimes he doesn't, but he goes to the plate with a consistent approach. Bruce is now going to the plate with a completely different approach than he did initially. He looks like a different player. He looks like Edwin Encarnacion. He's hacking at everything he sees and swinging at bad pitches consistently. From what I'm seeing now, he's looking more and more like a typical Reds player, not the intelligent-hitting breath of fresh air this team desperately needed.

I now nominate Nuxhall41 for POTY (Poster Of The Year) ;)

ChatterRed
06-20-2008, 02:48 AM
This thread is kinda stupid.

How dumb to you have to be to realize Bruce is a 21 year old rookie, and that opponents have adjusted to him and he now has to adjust to their adjustments?

Duh. Get a grip.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-20-2008, 03:26 AM

How dumb to you have to be to realize Bruce is a 21 year old rookie, and that opponents have adjusted to him and he now has to adjust to their adjustments?

Duh. Get a grip.

Winner post. People need to stop whining about EVERYTHING. It was obvious he was going to tail off, and he's ridiculously young. People can't help but complalin about everything, even great talents.

Ghosts of 1990
06-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Duh. Get a grip.

yahtzee

bounty37h
06-20-2008, 10:48 AM
I think the original poster was more referring to his approach changing-maybe overtrying, pressing himself, etc, not stating he is done, overrated, nto a special player or anything extreme like that as some of oyu are jumping on him for-I dont think he doesnt realize slumps do happen to everyone at every level, even the talented. Seems the losing has made us fans turn on each other, dissect every simple thing, and be overly anal about it.

HeatherC1212
06-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Jay said himself in a recent article that he could feel himself swinging at bad pitches and not having good at bats. I'm sure he's working that situation out as we speak and I bet he makes the proper adjustments sometime soon. During this road trip would be a great time for him to figure a few things out, LOL :laugh:

Ghosts of 1990
06-20-2008, 12:00 PM
I've said this about Volquez being a true ace before... but in regards to Bruce-- we all must hope he is the real deal and a star, because if he is not we do not have one at all.

Votto/Cueto are going to be good players but not true commodities like Volquez and Bruce have the chance to be.

Cicero
06-20-2008, 03:34 PM
The kid will be fine. As others have pointed out he is young/in a slump/needs to adjust to pitchers having seen him now.

NeilHamburger
06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Tracy Jones said on the radio today that Bruce needs a slumpbuster. The fatter the better. If he were a coach he'd take him out in NYC and go pig hunting.

HeatherC1212
06-20-2008, 04:43 PM
The Yankees relief pitchers could be all Jay needs to break out of his slump. They haven't been the most solid this year and there's no Joba in the eighth inning either, LOL ;)

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Ummm...those Yankee relievers have been freaking fantastic of late. You might want to be rethinking that. In fact, they've only improved since Joba went to the rotation.

bgwilly31
06-20-2008, 06:31 PM

here here.

However your screen name reflects the guy worst of all about showing emotion on the field and or looking like he is trying.

It was obvious he was going to tail off, and he's ridiculously young..

Than why did all of you idiots jump the gun on the kid and act like he was an act of god.

I thought all of that mumbo jumbo bruce almighty crap was a little over the top.

Now hes coming back down to earth.

But on his way down he looks like complete ****.(different player) (dusty affect) Who knows but he needs to be patient at the plate and quit listening to corey patterson.

Nasty_Boy
06-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Tracy Jones said on the radio today that Bruce needs a slumpbuster. The fatter the better. If he were a coach he'd take him out in NYC and go pig hunting.

Ain't nothing like a little hoggin'! Seeewwwwwwweyyyyyyyyyyyyy!