PDA

View Full Version : Daryl Thompson to Start Saturday

TheBigLebowski
06-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Per ORG thread - Matt700WLW.

FWIW, I am excited to see Thompson but I don't think this is the right time to see him.

JWP
06-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Awesome, I'm going to be at that game. Should be exciting.

DTCromer
06-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Good.

We're not going to the playoffs and people are still questioning this move. Why? The guy has a better head on him than Homer and from what we've heard, has better pitches too. As long as he gives us 5-6 innings, it's all good.

HeatherC1212
06-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Hmmm, the Yankees probably won't have a good scouting report on him being a new pitcher just up from the minors so hopefully that actually works to our advantage this time unlike in the Dodgers series. I'm excited I get to see another rookie this season and if he can handle Yankee Stadium, he can almost handle anything. Good luck Daryl and I'll be rooting for you! :)

DTCromer
06-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Marty and the Cowboy made a good point yesterday that making a start at Yankee Stadium won't be as big of a deal as making your MLB debut in itself. DT will be fine.

bounty37h
06-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Dangit, happy for him, but I am going to see L-Ville all next week when they are in town, so I wont get to see him now :(

Griffey012
06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Teams don't ruin pitchers by bringing them up "too soon." They can ruin young pitchers by giving them a heavy and hard workload too soo and too youn. But if a pitcher is going to ever be a good pitcher, giving up 10 runs in 2 innings in a debut against the Yankees will not ruin him. A good pitcher is going to learn from his mistakes. Ala Volquez, yeah he was rushed, but hey he eventually learned and it helped him put it together.

Best of luck to Daryl, make ol' Wayne look like a genius with the infamous trade!

redsfanfalcon
06-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Teams don't ruin pitchers by bringing them up "too soon." They can ruin young pitchers by giving them a heavy and hard workload too soo and too youn. But if a pitcher is going to ever be a good pitcher, giving up 10 runs in 2 innings in a debut against the Yankees will not ruin him. A good pitcher is going to learn from his mistakes. Ala Volquez, yeah he was rushed, but hey he eventually learned and it helped him put it together.

Best of luck to Daryl, make ol' Wayne look like a genius with the infamous trade!

Couldn't agree more...look at Verlander (starting to turn around this year), the Braves, (Smoltz, Glavine) as examples that have worked out. I love Dusty's comparison to the staff now compared to the Braves when they first started out in the bigs.

Moosie52
06-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, Daryl, we who are about to die salute you! Don't take the loss personally.

TheBigLebowski
06-20-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm not saying it's the most horrible move the franchise has ever made. I'd just rather have his first start in some friendlier confines.

Either way, I'm excited to see what he's got.

realreds1
06-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Congrats, Mike Harkey, on your big league call-up!

:feedback:

TheBigLebowski
06-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Mike Harkey...blast from the past...LOL

FWIW, DT looks nothing like Harkey.

realreds1
06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Mike Harkey...blast from the past...LOL

FWIW, DT looks nothing like Harkey.

Nah, he doesn't. But Mike Harkey's name always pops into my mind when I think of young "phenom" pitchers rushed to the majors. Harkey's career didn't exactly pan out because of injuries, of course, but alas... he was rushed.

Weird thought: Isn't Hark still the NYY bullpen coach?

AccordinglyReds
06-20-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't think this was a great move, but there's always the question of "why not?"....

Won't see him tonight here in Louisville, so hopefully I can see him tomorrow on TV.

Good luck!

steig
06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Glad to see him get a chance. I hope he can cool the hot bats of the Yankees.

Brutus
06-20-2008, 03:44 PM
I hate to see him get run out there in this situation, but at this point, he's as good as any candidate to run out there.

He's proven he's been able to handle AAA and AA so far, so at this point, the Reds need a fifth starter. I'm certainly excited.

bigredbunter
06-20-2008, 03:59 PM
I hate to see him get run out there in this situation, but at this point, he's as good as any candidate to run out there.

He's proven he's been able to handle AAA and AA so far, so at this point, the Reds need a fifth starter. I'm certainly excited.

I'm the same way, but I think he's blown through AA and AAA only this season. Last year didn't he split time between Dayton and Sarasota?

Brutus
06-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm the same way, but I think he's blown through AA and AAA only this season. Last year didn't he split time between Dayton and Sarasota?

Yes he did.

He had been in Single-A all year last season.

That's a concern, I suppose. That said, I believe a pitcher is either qualified or he's not. It's my opinion that if you're not able to handle it now (unless we're talking about developing some sort of skill or command), you probably wouldn't be any more ready to handle it a year or two from now.

BLEEDS
06-20-2008, 04:21 PM
We need a Lefty starter, so this can only help things IMO. Hopefully it will help develop him for next year.

Next year we should complete our total 180 - going from a team with no Pitching and Tons of Offense last year, to a team with Great Pitching and No Offense in 2009, since it looks like we're going to replace Hamilton/Dunn types with Norris Hopper/Corey Patterson types. I'm calling Jay Bruce for KGJ a draw based on KGJ's 2007. We can hope to pencil in Bruce for that type of Production in 2009 methinks...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

TheBigLebowski
06-20-2008, 05:57 PM
We need a Lefty starter, so this can only help things IMO. Hopefully it will help develop him for next year.

Next year we should complete our total 180 - going from a team with no Pitching and Tons of Offense last year, to a team with Great Pitching and No Offense in 2009, since it looks like we're going to replace Hamilton/Dunn types with Norris Hopper/Corey Patterson types. I'm calling Jay Bruce for KGJ a draw based on KGJ's 2007. We can hope to pencil in Bruce for that type of Production in 2009 methinks...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Thompson's a righty.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2008, 06:08 PM

I agree. And this is a perfect example of WHY we shouldn't be giving up on Homer. He NEEDS to struggle. He NEEDS to learn how to battle through adversity. Sending him down was the wrong move. In the bigs, he'll be forced to learn how to advance his other pitches. In the minors he can GET BY with his lesser repetoir.

That's not to say that Thompson shouldn't be up here too though. This is the year we should be breaking our young colts. This is the year we struggle so we can succeed later on. Roenicke, Maloney and Herrera should be up here for long stints this year too. We need to learn what these guys have against big leaguers THIS YEAR so we can plan what we need for next year and who we'll be keeping.

markymark69
06-20-2008, 07:07 PM
If the only other option was Fogg, then what is the problem with this move? I have suspicion that Thompson will do just as good or better than Fogg.

Just imagine what the some of the posts would have been had Fogg been announced as the starter for tomorrow?

Besides as some have pointed out, it's not like the Reds are going to the post-season. Let's see what the young man against a quality team on the very big stage.

markymark69
06-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Congrats, Mike Harkey, on your big league call-up!

:feedback:

Interesting that you mention the name Mike Harkey. I believe he is a coach (bullpen) for the Yankees.

Eric Davis
06-20-2008, 11:41 PM
I agree. And this is a perfect example of WHY we shouldn't be giving up on Homer. He NEEDS to struggle. He NEEDS to learn how to battle through adversity. Sending him down was the wrong move. In the bigs, he'll be forced to learn how to advance his other pitches. In the minors he can GET BY with his lesser repetoir.

That's not to say that Thompson shouldn't be up here too though. This is the year we should be breaking our young colts. This is the year we struggle so we can succeed later on. Roenicke, Maloney and Herrera should be up here for long stints this year too. We need to learn what these guys have against big leaguers THIS YEAR so we can plan what we need for next year and who we'll be keeping.

I completely disagree with you on Homer. He wasn't sent down just because he was struggling. He completely lost the stuff he once had. Struggling is going to a whole new level with him at this point. With what he's throwing now he has no ability whatsoever to get major league hitters out. Hopefully one day he gets it back but at this point it's worthles to have him up here throwing batting practice once every five days.

UC_Ken
06-21-2008, 12:46 AM
I completely disagree with you on Homer. He wasn't sent down just because he was struggling. He completely lost the stuff he once had. Struggling is going to a whole new level with him at this point. With what he's throwing now he has no ability whatsoever to get major league hitters out. Hopefully one day he gets it back but at this point it's worthles to have him up here throwing batting practice once every five days.

I totally agree with you. I would have considered dropping him below AAA. He lost his stuff, he needs to either learn to get guys out with mediocre stuff or regain his velocity. I wouldn't even consider him an option unless he's throwing in the mid '90s again.

BLEEDS
06-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Thompson's a righty.

:p: DUH!! I was thinking Maloney. BRAIN FART!!!

Still, I stand by my Offensive/Defensive Quote. We might as well start getting some more Defensive players and hope we can shut teams out next year, 'cause our O is looking like it's going in the toilet, especially with the imminent departure of the Big Donk.

PEACE

-BLEEDS