PDA

View Full Version : WOW... Welsh really laying into Votto in the 8th inning today

JayBruce4HOF
06-21-2008, 04:47 PM
For not going to 2nd base... really let him have it for not knowing there was only 1 out... "might be a big deal to Jared Burton ... the manager ..."

JayBruce4HOF
06-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Welsh has been getting progressively more critical of this team... I'm impressed. I bet Georgie-boy's blood pressure starts going up when Chris starts acting "mean." :laugh:

mroby85
06-21-2008, 04:51 PM
yeah, welsh has become much more critical this season, but it's much more entertaining to watch when everything isn't flowers and rainbows all the time.

One of my all time favorite lines for welsh that came again today is "it makes you curious, George"

Shawn_RedsFan
06-21-2008, 04:53 PM
I think Welsh is just getting tired of watching a losing baseball team, when they are capable of winning

Dracodave
06-21-2008, 05:30 PM
yeah, welsh has become much more critical this season, but it's much more entertaining to watch when everything isn't flowers and rainbows all the time.

One of my all time favorite lines for welsh that came again today is "it makes you curious, George"

My Favorite comment as of late was the HOF one. "Chris, is any of your stuff in the HOF?" "No, but you can take my broadcast partner, George and put him in there any time you'd like"

realreds1
06-21-2008, 05:31 PM
It could be Thom's influence. I remember early last year Thom put Welsh on the hook for some better color work than he was giving. Maybe Welsh is realizing what his job could be rather than what it has been.

dougflynn23
06-21-2008, 06:29 PM
It could be that he's finally having the opportunity to watch his JTM commercials with Bronson. That;s enought to make anyone angry...

Mutaman
06-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I think Welsh is a phony . Awhile back he was all over Homer fo giving up a HR to Pujols with first base open. But the next night when Manny hit an 0-2 pitch off of Harang off the wall, also with first open, Welsh never said a word. Easy to criticise Bailey, not so easy to criticise Harang.

Griffey012
06-21-2008, 07:25 PM
I can't stand to listen to Welsh honestly. If a mistake is made, he will not shut up about it for the entire inning. For example an 0-2 homerun...I mean does he honestly think Harang intended to serve one up 0-2. Everyone knows it is a no no, so why does he feel the need to harp and harp on it to the point everyone watching is annoyed.

Griffey012
06-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Not to mention, when say Joey Votto makes a nice play, you don't hear about it for the entire inning...at least make it a to way street.

gedred69
06-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Welsh is NOT a phony, he played the game, and has some very deep insight on what is going on, on the field. From time to time, I take in games with a guy who played in the Minors for a couple years, and what he sees vs. what the avg. fan can notice is light years in distance. I would expect a guy like Welsh, ---who made it to the Bigs, to be just as insightful if not more-so. If he could lose the goofy smile on camera, his credibility could increase.

ChatterRed
06-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Man.......this board is brutal on every baseball person, from managers, to players, to coaches, to management, to even the poor announcers.

I think the Reds have some of the best announcers in the game, from Marty, to Thom, to George Grande, to Welsh, and even Brantley.

This board is ridiculous.

mroby85
06-22-2008, 01:58 AM
i love welsh, i think he does a great job, when him and thom are on, it's like you're watching playoff baseball, they're that professional.

Orodle
06-22-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm starting to like Welsh, he use to be too Grande.

Fon Duc Tow
06-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Count me in the camp that likes what Welsh brings to the table during games.

Brantley as well, for many of the same reasons. Cowboy sounds like Billy Bob Thorton, but I won't hold it against him.

Marty and George I could take or leave, honestly. Marty is far too bitter from having to watch the Reds for these past 15 years. And George is WAY too positive and upbeat, considering what the Reds have been for the past 15 years. I know that sounds like a contridiction on my part, but what I mean is, the extremes of bitterness and blind optimism are both bad, in my opinion.

Only thing I have against Thom is his fake, extra deep, "announcing voice." Yes yes I know thats what they teach you to do in radio and television, but his has always been a little annoying to me for some reason. He could take lessons from his old man here on being more subtle with it.

All in all, from the play by play guy to the color guy, I prefer that guys are knowledgeable and I think they come off best when they are just being themselves, telling us what is happening on the field, and what their take on it is.

Blue
06-22-2008, 01:23 PM
It could be Thom's influence. I remember early last year Thom put Welsh on the hook for some better color work than he was giving. Maybe Welsh is realizing what his job could be rather than what it has been.

It worked the other way, too. If you think back to the beginning of last season, you'll see that Thom became a lot less critical of the team after the first few weeks. I suspect he and Chris got into it pretty good off the air at some point. Now they're both great. Its not like every out made or hit given up is a stain on baseball, and its not like everything is okay when people make boneheaded decisions.

demas863
06-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Only thing I have against Thom is his fake, extra deep, "announcing voice." Yes yes I know thats what they teach you to do in radio and television, but his has always been a little annoying to me for some reason. He could take lessons from his old man here on being more subtle with it.

It's his cackle that drives me nuts.

dougflynn23
06-22-2008, 03:57 PM
:) My breakdown...

Grande - doesn't offend me as a listener like he does many; I appreciate his knowledge of MLB and it's history. His stories like the Bob Shirley/Old Timers Day story comparing the experience in SD vs. Yankee Stadium yesterday was very funny!

Welsh - agree that he has gotten better. I believe being passed over twice by the Reds for the seat next to Marty finally freed him up to say it more as he sees it. I think he was trying not to offend in hopes of having that seat one day.

Brantley - As unpolished as they come, but i learn something about the game I dod not know before after each time I listen to him. He's going to get his bell rung one day for calling players "gutless" and/or nor trying. I'm surprised Kyle Lohse didn't do it last year.

Marty - a crumudgeon and very bitter at times (aka Hal McCoy) but as a HOF'er and due to having earned his stripes I still like him.

Thom - never have enjoyed his work. Sounds so scripted to me.

Mutaman
06-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Welsh is NOT a phony, he played the game,

I think it would be more accurate to say Welsh "tried" to play the game. Anyhow, I don't see how this fact make him any more or less a phony.

redsfan1966
06-23-2008, 10:45 PM
I think Chris has finally realized this team is awful---and no amount of sugar coating can hide it. I have to think George even knows people are making fun of him and his annoying "Pollyanna" attitude.

captainmorgan07
06-23-2008, 10:48 PM
I like the booth combo of Thom and either Welsh/Brantley. Grande is way to happy go lucky if you ask me. Welsh has finally started ripping into the club. I like my announcers to tell it how it is not sugar coat it. Marty's been doing it for years and i appreciate that he does it. He can go overboard at times though.

redsfan1966
06-23-2008, 10:51 PM
I am really disappointed by Thom so far...thought I would really enjoy listening to him announce being the HOFer's son and all--but I usually find myself being annoyed by him--especially when he does a game with "pops"--seems like he tries to argue for arguing's sake...

Krawhitham
06-24-2008, 12:01 AM
For not going to 2nd base... really let him have it for not knowing there was only 1 out... "might be a big deal to Jared Burton ... the manager ..."

Here is the problem about that play, I rewatched it multiple times from both angles they showed using a tivo. NO ONE COVERING 2nd. I seen Votto throw to 2nd assuming someone would get there in time for the throw and NO ONE DID. Guess what Welsh laid into Votto then too.

Just what does he want from Votto