PDA

View Full Version : Great win today!

stevekun
06-21-2008, 04:05 PM
I still believe!

Fon Duc Tow
06-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Thompson just got into, and out of, jam after jam after jam.

Would love to see a sweep in NY. :)

But the conflict:

One one hand, 0 ER in 5IP against the Yankees in their house is far more than could be expected from your pitcher 5th in the rotation. But it was a rocky 5 inning to be sure.

I'd say he earned another start, how bout you all?

jmac
06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Thompson just got into, and out of, jam after jam after jam.

Would love to see a sweep in NY. :)

But the conflict:

One one hand, 0 ER in 5IP against the Yankees in their house is far more than could be expected from your pitcher 5th in the rotation. But it was a rocky 5 inning to be sure.

I'd say he earned another start, how bout you all?

Gotta remember another thing.
Reds were making outs quickly so he had no time to rest between innings plus facing a solid lineup.
Yeah, unless you want Fogg :D

Crowther
06-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Great two games in NY. If Thompson can follow in the steps of Cueto the Reds just may have their #5 starter.

Ghosts of 1990
06-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I was there and there was a good following of Reds fans..... very neat.

HeatherC1212
06-21-2008, 07:34 PM
I am so impressed that Daryl didn't lose any of his poise today when he got into trouble. He did a great job and I hope he gets another start. I think he's earned it! :)

dmoe
06-22-2008, 11:31 AM
i think he earned his chance to show us more and i hope he'll be here for a while.

SoTxRedsFan
06-22-2008, 12:06 PM
He more than earned his place. The kid faced a lineup with huge thunder and shut them out for 5 innings. In trouble or not, that was impressive as hell.

JWP
06-22-2008, 12:18 PM
I was at the game, and I have to say that I was very impressed with Thompson's stuff. He was routinely throwing his fastball 93-94 mph (on the Yankee Stadium gun, don't know how accurate those are), and he touched 96 mph on several occasions. His fastball has a lot of zip to it, and it looked like it had a little bit of late movement on it as well. His changeup is nasty (not Volquez nasty), and his slider has a pretty mean bite as well. I had never known much about Thompson as a pitcher before this game, and with his stuff I'm surprised that more attention hasn't been paid to him. He's certainly a better pitcher than Homer Bailey (or Josh Fogg, for that matter). The decision on the #5 starter should be a no-brainer.

If Thompson continues to pitch well, do you think that the front office will be more open to trading Bailey? This is the first time in God knows how long that this organization has had an abundance of pitching. The offense is terribly streaky and home run reliant. Maybe it's time for Walt to start scouting out deals for young bats and making use of Bailey as a trade chip.