PDA

View Full Version : Fan of musical festivals?

TC81190
06-24-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm a bit younger than most of the Redszone crowd, so I don't think I've had as many experiences as some of you may have. I'm thinking about making the trip up next month to Pitchfork, which would be my first music festival.

Has anybody here had any noteworthy festival experiences or tips to share?

westofyou
06-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Bring a empty water bottle and sunscreen

Tell everyone your dad was at this one:

http://www.fmlegacy.com/Graphics/MacPosters/1982-09-03_US%20Festival.jpg

I liked this one myself

http://www.thecolorsblend.com/images/posters/1992/1992_lollapalooza_a.gif

timmario66
06-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Bring a empty water bottle and sunscreen

Tell everyone your dad was at this one:

http://www.fmlegacy.com/Graphics/MacPosters/1982-09-03_US%20Festival.jpg

I liked this one myself

http://www.thecolorsblend.com/images/posters/1992/1992_lollapalooza_a.gif

Was at Lollapalooza 92 at Riverbend. Pearl Jam was the 2nd act that day:yikes:

Roy Tucker
06-25-2008, 09:24 AM
1970 Goose Lake MI, brown acid, man.

http://www.alvinlee.com/gigs/700807.jpg

And Crosley Field, 1970, couldn't find a poster, Midsummers Rock Festival, I was in the crowd there somewhere... Iggy Pop, TV Eye and peanut butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD_XCECbAEU

Matt700wlw
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
I go to the Beale Street Music Festival every May in Memphis, TN....4 stages, over 60 bands (different styles) and tickets are around $70!!

Plus, you have the Memphis bar scene which is outstanding.

westofyou
06-25-2008, 09:56 AM
This is one we were talking about yesterday.

http://www.bumbershoot.org/

SunDeck
06-25-2008, 11:03 AM
http://www.thebluegrassblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/3/bean_blossom_2008.jpg

Tony Cloninger
06-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Damn Hippies!

EddieMilner
06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
I was at Bonnaroo last year and it was amazing. They walk a fine line between creating a free utopia and being outright wreckless. But I had a blast and the music was really perfect.

I go to Lollapalooza ever year and its a great time as well. Music is unreal and the urban siting makes it great for after the music is over. Grant park is always a good place to be the first weekend in August.

Pitchfork - I am probably going this year to see Vampire Weekend before I completely want to stab my eyes from the enormous hype surrounding them. I have friends that go every year and its probably as good of a deal for a festival. I don't really care for their reviews (Pitchfork Media is incredibly pompus and constantly suck up to the bands that play their shows) but they put together a good festival and in a good setting as well.

I was also going to go Rothbury this year, however it was mighty expensive and I didn't like the mid level bands.

Next year I am finally going to Coachella. I will be 28 and if I wait much longer I will probably never go.

Festivals are the best. Remember to take a small notepad and jot a few notes down to remember things about the sets you see. After 3 days of the music party you are lucky to remember anything.

westofyou
06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
After 3 days of the music party you are lucky to remember anything.

There Was A Stage And A Piet Up In Western Massachuttes,
And The Kids Came From Miles Around To Get Messed Up On The Music.
And She Drove Down From Boden With A Carload Of Girlfriends,
To Meet Some Boys And Maybe Eat Some Mushrooms
And They Did And She Got Sick
And Now She's Pinned And Way Too Shaky.
She Don't Wanna Tell The Doctor Everything She's Taken
The Paramedics Hovered Over Her Like A Somber Mourning Family
They Gave Her Activating Charcoal, They Flooded Her With Saline

Her: "I Got Really Hot And Then I Came To In The Chillout Tent, They Gave Me Oranges And Cigarettes."

He Was Rough Around The Edges:
He'd Been To School, But Never Finished,
He'd Been To Jail, But Never Prison.
It Was His First Day Off In Forever, Man
The Festival Seemed Like A Pretty Good Plan,
Cruise Some Chicks And Get A Sun-Tan.
And His Friend Gave Him Four, But Said Only Take One,
But Then He Got Bored And Ended Up Taking All Four.
Ah, So Now My Man Ain't That Bored Anyways,
The Paramedics Found Him: He Was Shaking On The Side Of The Stage.

Him: "Everything Was Spinning And I Came To In The Chillout Tent,They Gave Me Oranges And Cigarettes."

Her: "I Got Really Hot And Then I Came To In The Chillout Tent"

Both: "They Gave Us Oranges And Cigarettes."

Oxilon
06-25-2008, 07:02 PM
I went to Camp Bisco last year. Not sure if anybody is a fan of the Disco Biscuits on this site (doubt it), but them being a jam band and all sure made it a blast.

EddieMilner
06-26-2008, 09:23 AM
I went to Camp Bisco last year. Not sure if anybody is a fan of the Disco Biscuits on this site (doubt it), but them being a jam band and all sure made it a blast.

I've seen the Disco Biscuits a few times, and their shows are a blast. I've never been to Camp Bisco, but I used to be pretty close to a few of the guys in Umphrey's and they always had good things to say about that festival.

Matt700wlw
06-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I've heard of the Disco Buscuits, but don't think I've heard them...but being a fan of jam bands, I'd like to give them a listen at some point...

EddieMilner
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I've heard of the Disco Buscuits, but don't think I've heard them...but being a fan of jam bands, I'd like to give them a listen at some point...

They are a good time. definitely check em out. As for really good jam band festivals 10,000 Lakes up in Minnesota is supposed to be where its at.

I've sorta left the jam band scene in the last 3 or 4 years towards more indie rock.

My issue with that scene (for the most part) is that the studio recordings are usually nowhere near the live performances and/or the tracks last forever. When I sit down to listen to a record, its nice to have it change up every 4 or 5 minutes.

On the other hand though, when I stopped going to jam band shows and started going to indie rock shows, I would complain about the short sets. It took a few shows to realize that the 2, 3, and 4 hour shows are pretty much just a jam band scene thing. And I do miss that.

westofyou
06-26-2008, 10:42 AM
On the other hand though, when I stopped going to jam band shows and started going to indie rock shows, I would complain about the short sets. It took a few shows to realize that the 2, 3, and 4 hour shows are pretty much just a jam band scene thing. And I do miss that.

Yes, it was always hard to go from a dead show mindset to something with say, Pavement or The Archers of Loaf. By the time you were going home you're just starting to get going.

Oxilon
06-26-2008, 10:25 PM
My issue with that scene (for the most part) is that the studio recordings are usually nowhere near the live performances and/or the tracks last forever. When I sit down to listen to a record, its nice to have it change up every 4 or 5 minutes..

You're not kidding...listening to the Disco Biscuits studio is on the completely different end from listening to them live. Than again, I prefer listening to all songs live rather that of studio.

EddieMilner
06-27-2008, 12:00 AM
You're not kidding...listening to the Disco Biscuits studio is on the completely different end from listening to them live. Than again, I prefer listening to all songs live rather that of studio.

with respect to jam band music, I agree completely. However with indie rock, a well produced album is far superior. The new Black Keys album on Vinyl is a great 40 minutes to spend. And for the most part I hate dead studio albums, but Shakedown Street is probably my favorite record to play. I don't think those last two points had any relevance, but they were serving $1 Buds down the street tonight and I did over indulge.

Highlifeman21
06-27-2008, 06:56 PM

I've seen the Disco Biscuits a couple times in Atlantic City.

They're entertaining, to say the least.

BillDoran
06-28-2008, 04:31 AM
If you're a music junkie, it's hard to beat the festivals. It's like ordering the sampler platter, you know there's going to be something you enjoy.

I'll be at Lollapalooza, primarily to see Zack de la Rocha denigrate the American political and economic systems.

I'm also going to What the Heck Fest (http://whattheheckfest.com/) in Anacortes, WA. A slew of regional NW bands and Shipwreck Day (a town wide yard sale) in an incredibly pleasing setting.

SunDeck
06-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I used to go to the Chicago Blues Festival every year. The coolest thing about it was not necessarily the shows, but all the people playing informally; traveling street musicians from New Orleans, local blues players, etc. Unplugged blues, played on a park bench was one thing, but looking around to see the mix of people from Wrigleyville yuppies to hippies to South Side blues fans was quite an experience. Few fights, mostly people who loved listening to the blues.