PDA

View Full Version : Mets Claim Andy Phillips

captainmorgan07
06-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Andy Phillips has been claimed by the Mets. A good major league player who will serve the Mets well.

Root Down
06-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Any more information on that?

captainmorgan07
06-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Marty said it during the broadcast. Said the press release had just come out minutes ago.

OesterPoster
06-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Krivsky probably had a thorough scouting report on him. ;)

Kingspoint
06-25-2008, 08:08 PM

Krivsky would have gotten something for him instead of nothing. He also would have gotten Lehr into the Majors so that he wouldn't have jettisoned to Korea for nothing. Lehr should have been pitching with Arroyo on the DL.

Road Pop
06-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Congrats Mets. WJ actually thought he may still be around :rolleyes:

Jharb74
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I think when they now say a Cincinnati "3 way," they may not be refering to a chilli. The Reds,Nationals, and Mets can now trade between themselves.

Nasty_Boy
06-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Yet, we still have Corey Patterson... :bash:

PedroBourbon
06-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Yet, we still have Corey Patterson... :bash:

Maybe we can trade Patterson to the Mets for Phillips.;)

markymark69
06-26-2008, 10:28 AM
I liked Andy Phillips, but he really didn't have a spot on the team, IMO.

With Hairston close and Keppinger back and the fact that he can't play in the outfield (like Patterson), plus Dusty's connection with CP, they really didn't have a choice to DFA him and hope he slipped through waivers (which obviously he did not).

Nasty_Boy
06-26-2008, 10:33 AM
When I saw Javy at 3rd last night, I thought he had a spot on this team.

But after watching Hopper, it looks like he's headed either to the DL or the operating table. So I guess the Reds need an extra outfielder, at least until the diver (Freel) comes off the DL.

Red in Atl
06-26-2008, 10:39 AM

Now Krivsky can sign him for 3 years and 10 million dollars.

bounty37h
06-26-2008, 11:28 AM
so that means he wil llikely be an all star next season? :rolleyes:

markymark69
06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
When I saw Javy at 3rd last night, I thought he had a spot on this team.

But after watching Hopper, it looks like he's headed either to the DL or the operating table. So I guess the Reds need an extra outfielder, at least until the diver (Freel) comes off the DL.

Nasty Boy, you have a point about Javy at third, fortunately they were not hurt last night with him over there.

I think had the Reds known that Cabrera was going to get hurt and that Edwin would be a lost for a few games, they would have kept Andy around.

Oh well, hopefully we don't end up regretting that move.

RedsFanInBama
06-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi. First post here.

I know Andy pretty well. Great guy, and when I heard that the Reds had picked him up, I was happy for him. That said, it was never going to work out for him here. He doesn't really have the ability to be a consistent pinch-hitter. Throughout his career he has been one of those guys who needed consistent at-bats.

He got those last year with the Yankees and put together a pretty nice season for them before he broke his hand on a hit by pitch. Well, it was clear that with Votto here there was no way he was going to get consistent at-bats (and he shouldn't have). I like Andy and hope he gets some ABs with the Mets. If he can, he'll probably stick for the rest of the year. If he doesn't, they'll probably be waiving him in three weeks.

Good luck to him though, I will continue to keep up with his progress.

captainmorgan07
06-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Phillips getting the start today for the Mets in Left against the Yanks.

reds2221
06-30-2008, 10:46 AM
he's a promising player, but he did not fit into the reds plans. Great to hear that he's starting for the mets

bgwilly31
06-30-2008, 11:11 AM
i dont understand how we just released a potential everyday player that just didnt fit and couldnt get anything in return. ?

Can somebody explain the reasoning? Was he just not worth anything? Is that the only reason anybodies got? Cause thats hard to believe.

RedsFanInBama
06-30-2008, 12:11 PM
He had no trade value. He's really only had one decent major league season and that was only for half a season before he got hurt. I like Andy a lot but as a player, I can't blame the Reds for moving on. They needed to clear a spot with Keppinger healthy and he was the odd man out.