PDA

View Full Version : USA baseball

bounty37h
06-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi guys-
Know this isn't directly Reds related (could be if we draft any of these guys), but I have noticed this board has a good following and understanding of college and minor league prospects, so was wondering if you guys know much about the USA squad for this year. I am going to games tom, Sat and Sunday for them, who should I keep my eye on? Past years I have known of some of the big players coming through, there are usually a few big hitters, but looking over this roster, I dont know a lot of the names this year.

11larkin11
06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Couple of guys that jumped out at me as guys who are very very good are pitchers Chris Hernandez from Miami, Stephen Strasburg out of SD State who was very dominant this year but overshadowed by Matusz, Kyle Gibson from Missouri whose story is the same as Strasburg but for Crow, and outfielder Kentrail Davis from Tennessee.

bounty37h
06-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the input Larkin!!! I usually feel better about knowing the players, maybe just been a busy year and I havent been able to follow like I used to. Thanks for the heads up!

Mario-Rijo
06-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Couple of guys that jumped out at me as guys who are very very good are pitchers Chris Hernandez from Miami, Stephen Strasburg out of SD State who was very dominant this year but overshadowed by Matusz, Kyle Gibson from Missouri whose story is the same as Strasburg but for Crow, and outfielder Kentrail Davis from Tennessee.

I 2nd what Larkin said Strasburg and Gibson are possible top 10 picks next year with Strasburg being hailed as a once in a decade pitcher.

11larkin11
06-26-2008, 03:08 PM
1. Stephen Strasburg, RHP San Diego State

No player has done more for himself in a year than Strasburg. Strasburg throws hard, he throws strikes and he throws with a mean streak. Strasburg has the prototypical power pitcher’s body at 6′4″ 220 pounds. He has a fluid and easily repeatable delivery. He sits at 95-98 mph, occasionally reaching triple digits when he really reaches back. Honestly, he’s the best college pitcher and pitching prospect since Jered Weaver in 2005, and arguably since Mark Prior in 2001. In fact, he looks a lot like Prior with clean mechanics and the ability to throw 4 pitches in any count, all of which can strike a batter out.

MLB Comparison: Mark Prior, pre shoulder destruction

The fastball:

Excellent fastball with slight tailing movement, usually around 94-97 with the ability to hit triple digits. He has been clocked as high as 102 mph. Strasburg has no problem working the corners, coming inside to right handed hitters and away from left handed hitters. It has a late break and is one of his main strikeout pitches. It is established early, often and is a tremendous setup and also put away pitch.

The breaking stuff:

For someone who can hit triple digits to have their fastball be their second best pitch is saying something tremendous about the player. This is a legit putaway pitch that cuts hard across the plate and is as effective to righties as it is to lefties.

bounty37h
06-26-2008, 04:49 PM
yup, that sounds like a decent review-haha. Might be a good idea to try and pick up his sig this weekend :)

bounty37h
07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Larkin-
I had a blast at the USA games. I got a jersey and ball signed by the entire team, then a dozen or so balls signed individually by players-including 2 from Strasburg, who was a very nice guy, and fun to talk to. I also enjoyed talking to Tommy Medinca, the MVP from the CWS (he was funny, I joked at him about being mad his team eliminated my Heels from the CWS, and he signed a ball with the MVP tag for me). The entire team was super friendly, and ego didnt show as it does approching the pro's. Kyle Gibson was another who stuck out to me as being a very friendly person, and easily approachable.

George Anderson
07-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Kyle Gibson from Missouri

I umpired Kyle Gibson's games from age 10 to 18. Good kid who had a major growth spurt late in HS to go from a below average pitcher to an absolute stud.

bounty37h
07-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Kyle was one of hte nicest, and easiest to talk to-he was very approachable, and took the time to look everyone in the face when talking to them. Seemed to be a reloigous man as well, he signed my ball with an inscription of a passage, but I couldnt make it out fully whoich one it was, and dont know much about it to know what it is anyway, but I like that he can share his faith in a message like that.