PDA

View Full Version : Nefi Soto and Brandon Waring mentioned in this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

OnBaseMachine
06-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Billings 3B Neftali Soto (Reds) laid waste to Pioneer League pitching with three home runs in two games last week. Soto, 19, was at it again this week going 8-for-17 (.471) and slugging .941. In a two game stretch, he went 4-for-5 and missed the cycle by a double, then went 3-for-4 with two doubles.

...low Class A Dayton 3B Brandon Waring (Reds) hit .391/.500/.739 (9-for-23) this week. A prodigious power hitter in college at Wofford, not even the environment of the power-sapping Midwest League has been able to keep Waring down. Waring, 22, went deep in back-to-back games this week on Monday and Tuesday against South Bend, and his 15 home runs for the season rank second in the league.

And in the Not Hot category:

• Juan Francisco, 3b, Reds. Francisco's power potential earned him a spot on the World team for the Futures Game. But the 21-year-old still has a ways to go when it comes to learning the strike zone. His bat speed enables him to have big weeks, but his tendency to chase pitches out of the zone also means he has weeks like this one—Francisco is now 0-for-18 in his last five games, and is hitting .266/.284/.447 overall with a 72-to-8 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2008/266408.html

SoTxRedsFan
06-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Man, the Reds system is STACKED with high ceiling 3rd baseman.

ChatterRed
06-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Why not move Soto up NOW? He's done nothing but dominate so far.

TOBTTReds
06-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Why not move Soto up NOW? He's done nothing but dominate so far.

I'm all for that, but there would have to be some position changes or shuffling if that happens. Though I could see Soto playing 2B in Dayton. Soto has slow feet though, so that may not be the best idea either. Waring isn't ready for a promotion I don't think (massive amount of K's), even if he was, then what would we do with Francisco? Both Waring and JF will probably stay at 3B for the time being. Even if you wanted Waring to play LF, Frazier is there in Sarasota. Too bad many/all of our prospects are on the left side of the diamond. I'm against them DH'ing our prospects too much, so that is another reason why I am fine with Soto in Billings right now, but not for long.

Homer Bailey
06-28-2008, 04:33 PM
I say this without ever seeing Soto play or not knowing much about his ability to cover ground, but I would love to see him in centerfield.

Jpup
06-28-2008, 06:45 PM
How soon could Waring be in Cincinnati?

JaxRed
06-28-2008, 06:57 PM
It's about an hours drive......:)

NorrisHopper30
06-28-2008, 07:26 PM
How many years till we see Soto in Louisville or Cincinnati?

Mario-Rijo
06-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm all for that, but there would have to be some position changes or shuffling if that happens. Though I could see Soto playing 2B in Dayton. Soto has slow feet though, so that may not be the best idea either. Waring isn't ready for a promotion I don't think (massive amount of K's), even if he was, then what would we do with Francisco? Both Waring and JF will probably stay at 3B for the time being. Even if you wanted Waring to play LF, Frazier is there in Sarasota. Too bad many/all of our prospects are on the left side of the diamond. I'm against them DH'ing our prospects too much, so that is another reason why I am fine with Soto in Billings right now, but not for long.

I think we have all come to the conclusion that he isn't a SS or a CF but that doesn't necc. equate to slow feet. I guess what i'm asking is do you have some new info for us to consider or are you speculating that slow feet is the reason for his inability to play CF or SS at the major league level?

I would think his range is better than say Keppinger at SS but his hands/head/arm (accuracy?) maybe doesn't play at SS and you have to be somewhat faster to play a competent CF than SS. SS I would think would be more about quickness than speed although both are important.

dougdirt
06-28-2008, 08:39 PM
How soon could Waring be in Cincinnati?

Not very. He has a real long way to go before he gets here. He strikes out at a very high rate at a low level. That doesn't bode all too well for his future. He needs to take some steps to cut down the strikeouts by about 8-10%.

redhawk61
06-28-2008, 08:52 PM
agreed, whats impressive though he even with those K's all of his other numbers our very nice. Hitting for a good average, hitting .290 with RISP amongst other things

dougdirt
06-28-2008, 09:09 PM
agreed, whats impressive though he even with those K's all of his other numbers our very nice. Hitting for a good average, hitting .290 with RISP amongst other things

Yeah, but they won't hold up over the long haul unless he massively cuts down on those strikeouts. Striking out 25% of the time you step to the plate is cutting it close, but he is at 31% currently and that is downright frightening.

gedred69
06-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Waring has stated in interviews, "I swing from the heels". Don't need another Dunn......

dougdirt
06-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Waring has stated in interviews, "I swing from the heels". Don't need another Dunn......

Yeah we do need another Dunn.... but Waring isn't near the talent level of Dunn.

TRF
06-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Don't need another Dunn......

ugh. people STILL think this?

ugh.

Nasty_Boy
07-01-2008, 11:02 AM

Brandon Phillips swings for the heels, Adam Dunn never overswings. Dunn's normal swing creates power, he's just a big guy with a long swing that can/does develop holes. Big difference between Dunn and Waring.