PDA

View Full Version : What would you want for Griffey's 600 HR ball

keeganbrick
06-29-2008, 12:11 AM
I was reading the thread from ORG about the Griffey 600 HR ball and it made me curious. Suppose you caught #600 and decided the ball's fate. What would it take for you to hand it over. Here is Griffey's first offer (from what his agent said):

It includes 10 Griffey memorabilia items, including some game-used articles, items that came from other players and an all-expense paid trip for four people to New York for next month's All-Star break. The three-day, three-night vacation would include tickets to all the Yankee Stadium events, including the All-Star Game and Home Run Derby.

All that stuff is nice but im not budging for at least $50k if I believe I can get that much. Student loans, living expenses, future kids outweigh all the baseball stuff I could want.

Natty Redlocks
06-29-2008, 12:35 AM
--Reds playoff tickets. For THIS YEAR.
--Get rid of Dusty. Don't care how.
--Insist on batting fifth for the rest of the season.
--Approve any trade, no matter where.

Pick any two of these, and you'll get your precious ball, sir.

durl
06-29-2008, 01:44 AM
The thought of tens of thousands of dollars would be difficult to turn down. Still, if Griffey wanted the ball, I believe I'd hand it over and ask if a package would be too much trouble. I'd like to have something special added like tickets for a dozen games, being on the field for batting practice, hanging out in Castillini's suite, stuff like that.

NorrisHopper30
06-29-2008, 02:08 AM
I wouldn't give it back to him for free, as i'm an incoming college kid i'd like for him to pay for 4 years of college at UC. I'm sure Griffey would understand that, and maybe i'd get a little bonus for attending his high school alma mater.

mroby85
06-29-2008, 03:35 AM
I wouldn't give it back, because when i was younger i sent an autograph request, and he didn't reply, so i'd just sell the ball, lol.

I understand he was too busy, but i would need the $, and he should understand that, lol.

Jr's Boy
06-29-2008, 03:36 AM
That guy who's got the ball is pretty shrewed,he didn't return the call when Goldberg left him the message of the offer.To me that's basically saying he don't want to talk until dollar sign's are involved.It's a win win situation for the guy,either JR pays him a good amount,or Ebay or Sotheby's will.

Fon Duc Tow
06-29-2008, 10:11 AM
KGJ gets paid millions of dollars a year to play a kids game.

If I caught the ball?

If Griffey wants his trinket, he better make sure he's the highest bidder, I'll put it that way.

I would be insulted at the All-Star package offer. Trying to trade a bunch of crap he can probably comp anyway?

Cracks me up to hear people say "I would just give it to him for a round of golf" or whatever. Are you crazy? Look fine if you don't need or want the money, then sell the ball and donate the cash to charity. But if you trade #600 for a round of golf, then you are giving charity to Ken Griffey Jr.

Who needs charity more? The good cause of your choice, or Ken Griffey Jr? KGJ starts charities, he doesn't need charity. If your man-love is just too great to accept money for the ball, then at least get market value for the ball and then donate it to KGJ's favorite charity.

Highest bidder. Period. Then either decide how you are going to make the world a better place with the loot, or get busy spending yourself. :)

GoReds33
06-29-2008, 10:43 AM
If I caught the ball, I would send him a letter explaining my situation. I don't have a lot of money. I would get the ball appraised, and offer him a number short of appraisal value. Say $40,000. If he declines that, the ball would be put up for auction.

DannyB
06-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I like the package,wish I had known what it was before I voted ;)
I think his last homer will be worth much more $$$ than #600.

gedred69
06-29-2008, 06:15 PM
I would hope to get enough to make eventual retirement a possibility instead of spending my senior years as the Wal-Mart greeter, "Hi, Welcome to Wal-Mart! .............................

reds2221
06-29-2008, 07:23 PM
I would go with the package. I would give it to him for free (I really don't need all that money) but if he's offering to give memorablia for it then I would gladly take that deal.

BurgervilleBuck
06-29-2008, 07:47 PM
I would just give it to him. It's more important to him than it would be for me.

06-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Here is why I would not auction it off and would take the package.

First I doubt the ball will go for more than $50K, probably around $35-40K.

Second, even if the ball reaches $50K, which I doubt it will, I would not get nearly that much money in the end. The auction hall would get at least 10%, probably closer to 20% so that would lower it to $40-45K. I would have to pay taxes on the final auction price, which would take another 25% out of it. That would mean that I would clear around $30K.

While that seems like a lot, it basically would buy me a new car, or a bunch of cool toys, or let me eat at Montgomery Inn more often, but it really would not change my life that much. I could not get a nicer house, or anything that would last. I most likely would use it to get out of debt (which I would get right back into), and invest the rest. At best that might get a retirement egg of around $100K if I was very wise and very lucky. That would be in 30 years and who knows what $100K will be worth in 30 years.

So basically it would get me some fun for a short while, or a little small bit of financial security. I would much rather get a once in a lifetime opportunity to go the All-Star game and meet my heroes, especially one of my biggest Ken Griffey Jr. I also would be getting 10 other game used items, which I would greatly enjoy.

But that is just me.

Fon Duc Tow
06-29-2008, 08:28 PM
wow is all I can say at some of these responses.

But hey, when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. This much we know.

But when life gives you lemonade, apparently you give it to KGJ for comp tickets and some loaded face time.

Wow. I have some swampland in Fla that KGJ may or may not approve of. IM me... ;)

Jr's Boy
06-29-2008, 08:43 PM
First I doubt the ball will go for more than $50K, probably around $35-40K.

Not a bad score for a piece of rubber and cowhide.

06-29-2008, 09:48 PM

But when life gives you lemonade, apparently you give it to KGJ for comp tickets and some loaded face time.

Wow. I have some swampland in Fla that KGJ may or may not approve of. IM me... ;)

I think that if I could get a free trip to the All-Star game for some lemonade, I would make that trade every time, but then again, I never studied economics. :D

Actually my whole point is that the free trip to NY to see the the All-Star game and meet Ken Griffey Jr. and other All-Stars, is worth more to me than the $30K I would get from selling the ball. I am sure that there are some things that cost $30K that would be worth more than that to each member of the board. Sometimes it is not about the money, it is about the experience.

To put another way, if I had $30K of disposable income that I did not care about, I would easily spend it on the once in a lifetime opportunity that the package that Griffey offered includes. But then again that is just me.

George Foster
06-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Griffey makes 12 million a year. They charge me money to see him play, and when I'm hungry or thristy at the game they screw me over on the prices. Griffey signs baseballs in the winter and gets paid $50 a ball from licensed sports stores.

If he want's the ball he could pay me for it, period. Just like I have to pay to see him play baseball that has passed him by.

Even if I only got 30K for the ball, I'd buy my own weekend to the all-star game, buy a signed jersey and bat by him, and still have about 23-25K left over.

06-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Griffey makes 12 million a year. They charge me money to see him play, and when I'm hungry or thristy at the game they screw me over on the prices. Griffey signs baseballs in the winter and gets paid $50 a ball from licensed sports stores.

If he want's the ball he could pay me for it, period. Just like I have to pay to see him play baseball that has passed him by.

Even if I only got 30K for the ball, I'd buy my own weekend to the all-star game, buy a signed jersey and bat by him, and still have about 23-25K left over.

I am assuming that the package that Griffey offered is the same as the one he gave to the guy who caught his 500 ball. That one was not just tickets to the game, but a private tour of the clubhouse by Griffey and going on the field during the warmups and the homerun derby to hang out with all the All-Stars. That is what is worth more than money to me.

It also is a package deal for 4 people to go to NY to see the All-Star game. The extras are games used items from him and his teammates, with at least ten from him. Game used items are worth much, much more than signed items. Depending on the items those would be worth around $5-10K themselves. The trip is worth around $10K for four people (NY is very expensive, and All Star game tickets run around a grand a piece on Stub-Hub), so the whole package Griffey is offering is worth between $15-20K. It's not like he is just offering a couple bleacher tickets and a signed jersey.

freestyle55
06-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Whatever the highest bidder in the auction house that charges the least amount of money...then I'd find the lawyer that could help me get out of the taxes as much as possible, and I'd have a heck of a start on a college fund for my son...

IowaRed
06-30-2008, 10:01 AM
If it would make Griffey and/or his family happy to have the baseball then I would give it to him. However, it would be great to take my kids to a game, go in the locker room or on the field for BP, and get an autographed bat. I would appreciate it if he could have Baker not talk to me as well

I'm probably living in a fantasyland but it's more important for me to have my kids think of their dad as the guy who gave somebody a ball because he thought it was the right thing to do rather than the guy who didn't until he received the most money possible

BlastFurnace
06-30-2008, 10:28 AM
I would give it to him. He's a class guy and one of my favorite players. I wouldn't want anything from him at all.

Now, if it were the Bonds 756 ball.....

BlastFurnace
06-30-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm probably living in a fantasyland but it's more important for me to have my kids think of their dad as the guy who gave somebody a ball because he thought it was the right thing to do rather than the guy who didn't until he received the most money possible

Nice response. I agree with you 100%.

Fon Duc Tow
06-30-2008, 01:02 PM

I'll be the dad that took the 50 grand from selling the ball, and put it in my kid's college fund.

Seriously... people who make comments like the above, that ARE NOT wiping their bottoms and/or lighting their cuban cigars with one hundred dollar bills.... I just don't get it.

Well, to each their own I guess. But opportunity knocks only so many times. Even if you are set financially now, who is to say what is on the horizon. I'm sorry but giving away 50,000 dollars for a bunch of KGJ's comps is borderline irresponsible.

Give the money to Cancer research. Give it to a homeless guy. Something. ANYTHING but giving it to a multi-millionaire... Unreal these responses. :)

BlastFurnace
06-30-2008, 02:51 PM
I'll be the dad that took the 50 grand from selling the ball, and put it in my kid's college fund.

Seriously... people who make comments like the above, that ARE NOT wiping their bottoms and/or lighting their cuban cigars with one hundred dollar bills.... I just don't get it.

Well, to each their own I guess. But opportunity knocks only so many times. Even if you are set financially now, who is to say what is on the horizon. I'm sorry but giving away 50,000 dollars for a bunch of KGJ's comps is borderline irresponsible.

Give the money to Cancer research. Give it to a homeless guy. Something. ANYTHING but giving it to a multi-millionaire... Unreal these responses. :)

So I guess since have more money than a homeless guy, that you currently give money to him since you have more than he does? If we are going to that route with the money Jr. would give, are you doing what you can do now...rather than waiting for a load of cash to come your way to give. If you are, that's great.

I have no problem giving Jr. the ball...and I'm not wealthy either.

IowaRed
06-30-2008, 02:58 PM
There are a lot of people around that I wouldn't expect to "get it", which is exactly why I would handle it the way I described above. I.E. so my kids DO get it. I wouldn't be giving money away that I had earned or deserved, I happened to catch a baseball. It wasn't my accomplishment but an important accomplishment for a class person who does a lot for kids and is a good family man.

bounty37h
06-30-2008, 03:47 PM

Different people have different priorites. I am not rich by any means, and every dollar makes a difference, but I would most likely entertain Griff's offer of any kind. The experiences offered would prob mean more to me then that money-you wont get enough out of selling that you can really buy these same type deals, more of a once in a lifetime opportunity. To meet Griff, go to Yankee stadium for the All Star events, get some other items he was offering is a no brainer to me, but thats just me. Also being a huge fan of Griff for so long would be neat to give him back something that means something special to him-as the memories I have from watching him play for so many years is valuable to me.

bounty37h
06-30-2008, 03:53 PM
There are a lot of people around that I wouldn't expect to "get it", which is exactly why I would handle it the way I described above. I.E. so my kids DO get it. I wouldn't be giving money away that I had earned or deserved, I happened to catch a baseball. It wasn't my accomplishment but an important accomplishment for a class person who does a lot for kids and is a good family man.

Iowa, man, great post! Your right, some will never get that. The ones who will prob had a parent teach em that kind of lesson early on in thier own lives as well.

Fon Duc Tow
06-30-2008, 04:19 PM

And if a 20 dollar bill blows up to you on the ground, make sure to tell you kids to "keep on walking, you didn't earn it."

And if you walk into a store and find out you are the one millionth customer, with a prize of one thousand dollars, kindly decline. After all, you didn't earn it.

In other words, if you didn't earn it, don't take it? That is luck abuse, plain and simple.

The only angle I can see here would be for the fan who feels what KGJ is offering is worth more to them than 50,000 dollars. At that point, at least it is just being selfish.

But to catch Griffey's 600, and trust me, if you catch one of those balls and manage to hang on to it in the scrum, you earned it, make no mistake. Probably have the bruises and scratches to prove it. Anyway, to have Griffey's 600, and then to give it right back to KGJ for some comp and loaded face time, and then think you are teaching your kids some kind of lesson?

Hilarious.

Again, if you want to be selfish and trade the ball for the KGJ comp time, that I can understand. But if you are trying to be moral about it, sell it to the highest bidder (hopefully KGJ) and donate the money to cancer research or your favorite charity.

But to just give it away to a multi-millionaire? Irresponsible, plain and simple.

Hilarious that you try to put some kind of moral spin to it. The truly moral thing to do would be to put the money toward a good cause.

Fon Duc Tow
06-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Iowa, man, great post! Your right, some will never get that. The ones who will prob had a parent teach em that kind of lesson early on in thier own lives as well.

The "squander your luck and resources lesson"?

Basically you are saying to my response (that I would sell to highest bidder then donate to charity of choice...) "I guess he just weren't raised properly."

Laughable, and slightly insulting.

I'll bet you Warren Buffett doesn't even turn his nose up at 50 grand, but listen to some of you people... Again, hilarious.

Don't confuse "high moral ground" with "sucker born every minute ground."

IowaRed
06-30-2008, 04:31 PM
no moral "spin" at all, it is my first, natural, and in my opinion, the appropriate response. We obviously have had very different life lessons and in a case where a $20 blows up to my feet my first reaction has always been to try to find who lost it as I would want somebody to do if I lost it.

bounty37h
07-01-2008, 01:07 PM
The "squander your luck and resources lesson"?

Basically you are saying to my response (that I would sell to highest bidder then donate to charity of choice...) "I guess he just weren't raised properly."

Laughable, and slightly insulting.

I'll bet you Warren Buffett doesn't even turn his nose up at 50 grand, but listen to some of you people... Again, hilarious.

Don't confuse "high moral ground" with "sucker born every minute ground."

And you just called people who would give it back selfish. You struck first putting down those that said they would give it back. But again, nope, not all get it.

bleedsred
07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Chances are that Jr will most likely not get to 700....I would think that the ball will fetch more than $50,000....there has to be a big time Jr fan who would drop $100,000 plus for that baseball.

I would sell the baseball rather than go to the All Star game with some Jr throw ins....on the other hand....if the Reds somehow could give me 4 season tickets for life in the prime seats then I could go for that with some misc throw ins from various Reds players.

Fon Duc Tow
07-01-2008, 03:07 PM
And you just called people who would give it back selfish. You struck first putting down those that said they would give it back. But again, nope, not all get it.

I agree with you there... clearly not everyone "gets it."

And in these unstable economic times too.

To each their own, but if you give up #600 for nothing but comp time, then you just got "took" by KGJ himself.

You think that trading #600 for some comp time puts you on some higher moral ground, and that sir, is the stuff suckers are made of. KGJ is a "nice guy" so therefore you let him play you. That's the parting lesson you are giving, while you are patting yourself on the back for being so moral.

Any idealistic lesson attempt begins and ends there.

Fon Duc Tow
07-01-2008, 03:08 PM
if the Reds somehow could give me 4 season tickets for life in the prime seats then I could go for that with some misc throw ins from various Reds players.

Depending on how the math worked out, I might take that too.

bounty37h
07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
I agree with you there... clearly not everyone "gets it."

And in these unstable economic times too.

To each their own, but if you give up #600 for nothing but comp time, then you just got "took" by KGJ himself.

You think that trading #600 for some comp time puts you on some higher moral ground, and that sir, is the stuff suckers are made of. KGJ is a "nice guy" so therefore you let him play you. That's the parting lesson you are giving, while you are patting yourself on the back for being so moral.

Any idealistic lesson attempt begins and ends there.

How in the world would I be getting suckered if I wanted him to have the ball, and I still got something great that I would personally value a lot? If I had hit #600, I would prob want the ball back too, and would hope that a fan that caught it would be willing to negotiate. Maybe Ken doesn't want it bad enough to shell out more then what he offered, so thats his choice, as it is the choice of the other to accept or deny.