PDA

View Full Version : John Erardi: Regarding Teixeira

NorrisHopper30
06-29-2008, 11:58 AM
First things first, I want nothing to do with Coco Crisp, but this Teixeira talk has intrigued me.

I hear the Braves would unload him for some pop. Would they want Dunn? Dunn and Stubbs? Dunn and Alonso? Could we sign Teixeira if we can unload Dunn, Griffey and Arroyo?

I would love to get Teixeira and slap him in at first (great glove at 1b) and move Votto to LF. Votto, Bruce and **insert RF**. If we could get him without getting rid of Alonso it could be something like Votto, Bruce, Teixeira (i'm sure he could play OF) with Alonso at 1b.

Thoughts? Are my hopes too high?

Orenda
06-29-2008, 12:01 PM
when would he become a free agent?

Ghosts of 1990
06-29-2008, 12:02 PM
I think the plan is to have bruce play RF next season

JWP
06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
First things first, I want nothing to do with Coco Crisp, but this Teixeira talk has intrigued me.

I hear the Braves would unload him for some pop. Would they want Dunn? Dunn and Stubbs? Dunn and Alonso? Could we sign Teixeira if we can unload Dunn, Griffey and Arroyo?

I would love to get Teixeira and slap him in at first (great glove at 1b) and move Votto to LF. Votto, Bruce and **insert RF**. If we could get him without getting rid of Alonso it could be something like Votto, Bruce, Teixeira (i'm sure he could play OF) with Alonso at 1b.

There's no way the Reds can afford to resign him. He's going to want nearly $20 million dollars a year. A small-market team like the Reds can't afford to plop down that kind of money on one guy. The Reds need to spend that money on a good center fielder, a good long reliever, and a 5th starter.

It would be awesome, but just not feasible for this team.

TheBigLebowski
06-29-2008, 12:15 PM
It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. First of all, although I think Teix is a nice player - heck, a very good player - he will demand way too much money this off-season.

Secondly, we drafted a guy in Yonder Alonso who plays 1B and should be his equal in offensive production, at least within a year or two. Honestly, the fact that we drafted Alonso over a guy like Gordon Beckham should tell all of us something about our future plans and who is and isn't in them. Yonder's not a guy like Drew Stubbs who is going to need a few years in the minors. Heck, he should be with the big club no later than next year.

BTW, for what it's worth, Drew Stubbs isn't going to bring a lot back in trade at this point.

HalMorrisRules
06-29-2008, 01:04 PM

The Reds cant trade Alonso for at least one year.

kpresidente
06-29-2008, 09:52 PM
There's no way the Reds can afford to resign him. He's going to want nearly $20 million dollars a year. A small-market team like the Reds can't afford to plop down that kind of money on one guy. The Reds need to spend that money on a good center fielder, a good long reliever, and a 5th starter.

It would be awesome, but just not feasible for this team.

Dunn + Gonzalez + Freel = $21 million

JWP
06-29-2008, 11:04 PM

Doesn't change my point in the slightest.

danken12
06-30-2008, 07:41 AM

Gonzalez and Freel are both under contract for next season, so what's your point?

BlastFurnace
06-30-2008, 09:00 AM
His agent is Scott Boras. No way does he resign with us.

Secondly, I watched him play with the Rangers while he was here....he was constantly unhappy with the direction of the Rangers because he felt that management did not emphasize winning enough.

The Reds are a year away from doing anything at all. I think he would be unhappier with the Reds than he was with the Rangers.